Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Grandpa
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,054

Grandpa

Jun 19, 2017, 12:31 PM

This story was told to me several years ago and it remains one of my favorites.

Many years ago, few, if any, funeral homes had facilities for visitation or funeral services for the deceased. The normal practice was for the funeral home to make all of the necessary preparations and return the body to home. The body remained at the home until the final service at the church or at the cemetery.

***************************************************************************************************

Grandpa had lived all of his life in the mountains in the northern part of Oconee County. Grandpa, never owned a suit of clothes, preferring to wear his favorite brand of blue overalls. His newest and best overalls were saved for church on Sunday.

After many years in the mountains, Grandpa passed away. A call was made to the funeral home about his passing and they went to his home to get Grandpa. During the preparations at the funeral home, the funeral home employees decided that Grandpa should be buried in a suit. A trip was made to one of the men's clothing stores to purchase a suit for Grandpa. When all the preparations had been completed, Grandpa was returned to his home in the mountains.

The next day the funeral home received a message: "Grandpa is out of the casket and we can't get him back in. Can you come help us"? That was all the funeral home employees knew and had no idea what to expect. Arriving at the home, they soon learned why Grandpa was out of the casket. The children and grandchildren had never seen Grandpa dressed up in a suit. If would really be nice to take a photo with Grandpa and the family. Grandpa was removed from the casket and propped up in a chair. However, Grandpa didn't look natural with his eyes closed so one of the family members put sun glasses on him. Now they were able to take photos of family members standing by Grandpa, who was now wearing the first suit he ever had.

The funeral home employees put Grandpa back into the casket and all was now back to normal.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grandpa

Jun 19, 2017, 12:39 PM

and that is how the Weekend at Bernie's movies started. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pigs or it didn't happen***

Jun 19, 2017, 12:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re:

Jun 19, 2017, 2:02 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True Joe about body resting at the home for awhile!

Jun 19, 2017, 4:09 PM

Weird practice now I would assume.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost sleepy time, Bill. I can feel it.

Jun 19, 2017, 4:29 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,054
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic