Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions

Feb 2, 2017, 10:21 AM

BOT approves football raises and contract extensions

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions

Feb 2, 2017, 10:57 AM

;)

Thad deserves a bigger raise IMO

Feb 2, 2017, 11:33 AM

Scott and Elliott are doing really well for financially for such young coaches. No incentive for either to leave anytime soon.

Re: We will soon be broke. You can't let Democrats hold the

Feb 2, 2017, 11:47 AM

purse.

My thought exactly re Thad.***

Feb 2, 2017, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Thad deserves a bigger raise IMO ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

My first thought when seeing the article also. Seems like

Feb 2, 2017, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Thad deserves a bigger raise IMO ]

in previous articles that he has been the brain behind a lot of projects that has moved Dabo's dreams to reality.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thad definitely deserves a bigger raise..

Feb 3, 2017, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Thad deserves a bigger raise IMO ]

poor guy can't even afford to buy proper attire to wear to the office

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

A-freakin-Men! My thoughts exactly.

Feb 4, 2017, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Thad deserves a bigger raise IMO ]

NM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Feb 2, 2017, 11:47 AM

Man I need to find a job that gives 15-30% raises every year.

I know we have one of, if not the best coaching staffs in the country, and they deserved to be paid as such, but when do these salaries become unsustainable? That's not necessarily a question specific to Clemson. Coaching salaries in general just seem to be increasing at a rate that just can't last.

5 years ago there were 9 head coaches that made $3 million or more. This past season there were 36. In 2012 when Chad became the highest paid assistant at 1.3 million it was a rarity and the only assistant coach over $1 million and the next 6 were $800,000 or higher. That's 7 salaries at $800,000 or higher. This past season there were 12 making over $1 million and 25 making over $800,000.

In 5 years Brent Venables (I'm only using him because he's one of the highest) has had a salary increase of 112% or about 22.5% a year. If he stays at Clemson and his salary continues to grow at the same rate, in 5 years he will be around $3.8 million. Dabo's has increased about 24% per year in the last 5 years. At that rate in 5 years he will be about $10 million. In 10 years it would be about $23 million.

I'm not saying this to complain about our coaching salaries. In order to stay on top we have to compete with the Joneses. I'm just pondering where college football goes in the next decade. Is it going to be commonplace to see $15-20 million dollar payrolls for a 10 member staff? Do the raises slow down to a manageable number? Thoughts?

AD's and universities need to pay attention to the TV

Feb 2, 2017, 12:01 PM

and satellite business when paying their coaches. ESPN is taking on water and is having a harder time selling in a decreasing cable/satellite TV environment. TV money makes this possible. Pay attention to the welfare of the market that feeds you is my suggestion . Donations are always there but the icing money is TV contracts.

Those guys have earned these raises with the success

Feb 2, 2017, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions ]

and millions of dollars of goodwill they have brought to Clemson. National Championship-priceless. If we don't pay them someone else will.

Feb 3, 2017, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions ]

My thoughts are that Dabo is probably making several million less that the previous 5 or 6 NC coaches, of course there are only 3 I think Nick Saban, Jimbo Fischer and the Urban Meyer.

I think we had the best coaching staff in college football until the departures of DT and DE coaches.
There replacements are along the going rates for hiring new assistant coaches. The 3 coordinators could get a HC coaching job making more that they are currently making so I have not issue with their pay.

Look at the growth of the football program over the last few

Feb 3, 2017, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions ]

years. If you were to equate this to the growth of a company and the relative stock increases, it would trump these.

I think the growth of a company specializing in

Feb 3, 2017, 12:00 PM

clean air initiatives would trump the growth of the football program.

If any questions, contact Chris Finnegan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Feb 4, 2017, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: BOT approves football raises and contract extensions ]

Not to worry.
Within the next 2 years, Trump will lead the US into a depression (worse than G W Bush's 2008 major recession), and most people won't be able to afford the game tickets.
Then, the coaches' salaries will fall like rocks off a cliff.

LSU are idiots

Feb 2, 2017, 12:40 PM

The highest paid assistant and all they get is an 8-4 record last year

Regardless if your head coach got fired mid-season. You get paid that much you need to have a lot more wins on your record

Dave Aranda is really good and LSU had a higher rated

Feb 3, 2017, 11:49 AM

defense than Clemson last year. Defense is not their problem.

Cool...They Deserve It

Feb 2, 2017, 7:30 PM

Pay Them.....I don't mind it a Bit....They are doing a Magnificent Job

GO TIGERS!!!

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

No wonder BV is fine with staying

Feb 3, 2017, 11:50 AM

?? I would expect one of Elliott or Scott to move on to a head coaching job in the next two years. Interesting Scott received a two year extension and Elliott only one, maybe a preview of which one gets an offer first.

Probably need to figure in Lamanski Hall as well with the likelihood of the 10th assistant before next season

you might want to read that again

Sep 26, 2022, 1:59 PM

Elliott also got a 2 year extension.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic