Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pretty good news on Trevor Lawrence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Pretty good news on Trevor Lawrence

Aug 5, 2016, 10:47 AM

The longer this goes the better for Clemson. Here's to hoping UGA chokes like a dog.

https://uga.rivals.com/news/change-of-plans-for-5-star-qb-trevor-lawrence

Class of 2018 five-star quarterback Trevor Lawrence (Cartersville, Ga./Cartersville High School) announced last month on Twitter that he was down to Clemson and Georgia as his final two collegiate choices. It also appeared as though Lawrence was getting close to making a decision as his junior season approached.

Last summer, the Class of 2018 superstar told UGASports that he wanted to decide before his junior season. He reiterated that desire in June as he narrowed his timeline down to the end of July or the beginning of August. With the end of July fast approaching, Lawrence appeared to be on the edge of an announcement after taking what looked to be final visits to Georgia and Clemson.

But it is now August 5 and despite the fact that the fans of both schools are on the edge of their seats, awaiting his announcement via Twitter, Lawrence has gone silent.

It’s now looking as though Dabo Swinney and Kirby Smart will have to wait a little longer before finding out if they will get to coach Lawrence two years from now.

“It’s unlikely to happen soon,” a source with knowledge of the situation recently told UGASports. “There is no set date or anything like that. He just hasn’t decided what he wants to do. There is no special day or anything.”

Lawrence started classes on Wednesday, and he and his Cartersville teammates began practice earlier this week. According to our source, that’s where Lawrence’s focus lies for the time being. The Hurricanes start the season next Friday night with an exhibition game against Westminster before a showdown the following week with the defending Class AAAAA state champions, Allatoona.

“Right now, he definitely wants to get back to focusing on school and focusing on the team," said our source continued. "Nothing happened to move it back. He just needs some space to make a decision... It’s still the same schools, Georgia and Clemson...I don’t think he’s just going to wake up one day and do it... He’s just focused on his high school season right now."

As the 6-foot-6 quarterback turns his attention to his high school team, it is now unlikely that Lawrence will commit to a university this month. A decision could still come at some point during the football season in September or October.

Last week, Lawrence broke down his thoughts on Clemson and Georgia.

“I really like the coaching staffs at each of the schools,” Lawrence said. “They obviously run two different offenses, but I like both the coaching staffs a lot. I get along well with both of them. I like both campuses a lot even though they are really different. Clemson is more low-key and bigger and more outdoorsy and I like that a lot. Georgia is more like a town and that’s cool too.”

Stay tuned to UGASports for all the latest on Lawrence as the Bulldogs continue to battle with Clemson for the top quarterback, and possibly the best player, in the 2018 class.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Started school on Wednesday?

Aug 5, 2016, 10:53 AM

Are all public schools starting this early now? Seems really early to me.

Re: Started school on Wednesday?

Aug 5, 2016, 10:56 AM

Georgia schools started early.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Started school on Wednesday?

Aug 5, 2016, 11:14 AM

The longer he stays quiet, the better for Clemson IMO

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SC schools used to start this early

Aug 5, 2016, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Started school on Wednesday? ]

they passed a law in 2006 that requires SC schools to start no earlier than the 3rd Monday in August. Before that it had been first week of August for a long time.

Re: SC schools have never started the 1st week of August

Aug 5, 2016, 7:50 PM

At least never in the upstate.

We just moved to rural N California and my daughter starts Monday.***

Aug 5, 2016, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Started school on Wednesday? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Most of Calif does not start till mid Sept***

Aug 5, 2016, 7:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty good news on Trevor Lawrence

Aug 5, 2016, 11:17 AM
applause.gif(370.4 K)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 5, 2016, 11:22 AM

According to TL - he prefers a pro-style offence instead of a spread - giving GA a slight preference. So far I guess this is not a big enough factor to eliminate us.

But in my estimation (non-expert) - from his highlights - I think he actually runs / scrambles better than Hunter Johnson.

If I had to chose - I think I would prefer TL. Just my non-expert 2 cents

Aug 5, 2016, 4:15 PM

Over HJ?

I haven't seen TL's highlights yet, so

Aug 5, 2016, 4:36 PM

Might wanna watch those. Lawrence is the real deal. Must be something about the last name...it's possible we could have Clemson players with the last name Lawrence go first overall in 2 drafts within 3 years. Now wouldn't that be something! That could also be 3 1st overall picks in 5 years. Now THAT is something that puts some rocket boosters on recruiting.

DTs don't go #1 overall. Last one was Dan Wilkinson in 1994

Aug 5, 2016, 4:46 PM

and the game was very different back then.

Re: DTs don't go #1 overall. Last one was Dan Wilkinson in 1994

Aug 5, 2016, 5:26 PM

Is it common? No. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility though - if a team without a pressing need at QB ends up at #1, a dominant defensive tackle who can rush the passer and stop the run remains as valuable a commodity as ever. We'll see how Dex develops, but I don't immediately see any other prospects of the past decade or so who had his combination of size, skill, and athleticism IF he develops the way we hope. Even a guy like Ndamukong Suh was 30+ lbs lighter and had well-founded questions about attitude/character.

Your 2 cents is not worth much.

Aug 5, 2016, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Pretty good news on Trevor Lawrence ]

Hunter is the far more athletic and better runner of the two.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Am I doing this right?

Aug 5, 2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the update TW!

null

Re: Am I doing this right?

Aug 5, 2016, 11:40 AM

I do like beer far better than champaigne.

Same here.***

Aug 5, 2016, 11:48 AM

null

Re: Hipster's Ain't gonna like this.

Aug 5, 2016, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Am I doing this right? ]

Wasting all of that PBR...

Re: Hipster's Ain't gonna like this.

Aug 5, 2016, 12:03 PM

because we all know hipsters and PBR are like peanut butter and jelly. They just go together.

You have to say HAI' KARATE, when you swing the blade!

Aug 5, 2016, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Am I doing this right? ]

nm

you must be out- what $3.75???***

Aug 5, 2016, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Am I doing this right? ]

I get the sense that the depth chart is the only thing

Aug 5, 2016, 12:02 PM

keeping him from pulling the trigger to CU right now. I agree though, the longer he drags it out the better for us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2016, 4:49 PM

In all honesty.....

What is the rush? It's TWO YEARS from now.....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2016, 7:18 PM

Forgive the ignorance, but why is it better for Clemson the longer he waits?

Partner, he lives in Georgia.***

Aug 5, 2016, 7:31 PM

Re: Partner, he lives in Georgia.***

Aug 5, 2016, 7:53 PM

I understand that. Seems to me that because of that more Georgia folks would be in his ear before his decision, presumably influencing him to go to UGA.

Aug 5, 2016, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Pretty good news on Trevor Lawrence ]

He has been a heavy UGA lean throughout his recruitment. Recently he visited Clemson and UGA one last time before making his decision (wide thought to be to UGA). The fact he has delayed his decision could mean we gave him something to think about and he may be now unsure.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic