Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue

Jun 23, 2015, 2:14 PM

David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue

Jun 23, 2015, 2:41 PM

It may be time, but the question here is the timing. Every politician alive is using this moment to
restart their careers. This Roof freak left one lady behind to live, and told her to go tell the
world what he did. This crazy wanted to be a hero of some kind, famous, and forever remembered. Monday in the press release of the governors office he was specifically mentioned. If you take that flag down he will forever be remembered as the reason it came down. Making him famous forever. This will create more crazies that want the headlines. Let the pain of this tragedy pass, then in a systematic way, that has nothing to do with this hate filled tragedy, let South Carolinians remove it forever. For God's sake I wish every politician, AD, college president and presidential hopefuls would stop using this tragedy to get their name in the news.

There's never a bad time to do the right thing.***

Jun 23, 2015, 2:42 PM

Bingo***

Jun 23, 2015, 3:27 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's never a bad time to do the right thing.***

Jun 23, 2015, 3:34 PM [ in reply to There's never a bad time to do the right thing.*** ]

You're right. These morons feeling backed into this need to realize. It should have come down years ago. If we didn't address it now how much worse would our state look?!?

Jun 23, 2015, 3:48 PM [ in reply to There's never a bad time to do the right thing.*** ]

Do you really want to make this guy mentioned in the history books as being the reason it came down?
His hate was an act of evil. This debate over the flag has been going on for years. I can just see
the wording in the history books " after an act of domestic terrorism and hate by Dylann Roof, the confederate flag was removed from the state house grounds". I just got back from Oklahoma City and went to the memorial of the bombing. Another act of hate that left everyone there searching their smart phones to read about Timothy McVeigh. I don't want this for our state. If South Carolinians want it down because it is a symbol of division and hate, then so be it, but not because of Dylann
Roof and these "fall in line" "look at me" politicians.

I want it to be removed because sensible and rational South Carolinians voted to remove it, not because of an act of hate from a psycho. And really not because of a bunch of state figures "show boating" over a tragedy to gain attention to themselves for their political correct views.

IMO!

If you think it's removed because of Roof, that's your

Jun 23, 2015, 3:50 PM

problem. I don't see it that way, and I don't think most people will.

I can think of no better way to honor the memory of the lives lost at his hands than to use every opportunity to do the opposite of what he set out to do.

Jun 23, 2015, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: There's never a bad time to do the right thing.*** ]

Do you honestly think he won't be remembered as the catalyst that caused it to be taken down? It's being taken down because it is long overdue. Whether it comes down tomorrow or 3 months from now doesn't matter - his name will always and forever be linked to 9 deaths, and the removal of that flag.

The people that left it up in the first place deserve to be mentioned in that little history book excerpt of yours too.

That said - I couldn't agree more about the politicians. You're right there.
But it needs to come down and it needs to be "immediate".

Jun 24, 2015, 4:01 PM [ in reply to There's never a bad time to do the right thing.*** ]

Agreed, which is why it is also time to retire the Ben Tillman statues and names from streets and buildings.

Jun 23, 2015, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue ]

They are exploiting a tragedy. That is what's getting lost in all this. I'll say again I don't care either way but the biggest story here is this exploitation which is getting the least press. The two issues are separate but have been conflated and the media is not only not doing its job, it's complicit in the wrong doing (as usual).

What are we supposed to do when a tragedy occurs?

Jun 23, 2015, 2:51 PM

There is nothing we can do to help the nine people that died. They are gone. The only thing we can do is use the event to search for ways to get better. This is one way for us to get just a little bit better.

I don't think it's right to connect what Roof did to the flag at the State House. But that doesn't mean we can't use the emotion and trauma of the event, and channel it toward a good cause.

If you wait for some kind of "buffer period" after the event, then all you're doing is letting it fade into memory, and you risk ending up doing nothing.

focusing on the symbols of an issue

Jun 23, 2015, 3:33 PM

leads only to "symbolic" gestures...

Just as Roof's temporal power over the lives of 9 people was only a symbolic gesture of racism's power, not a real measure of racism in this country.

Racism simply does not currently exist in this country at a level of true power - if it did, we'd never have an African-American President, among other things. Yes, it can exhibit itself in fits and starts, but it will never again wield the power it held even 50 years ago. The real reason that the tragedy claimed so many lives is not a measure of "racism" itself, but instead a measure of the effectiveness of modern weaponry. In the Iron Age, it was mano-a-mano. Now one man can hold hundreds, thousands, even million of lives in his hand.

To confuse the size of the tragedy with the size of actual racism is ridiculous. It was one fool, one idiot, one pathetic example of a society low on morals, high on violence, low on truth and empathy, and low on social responsibility.

And yet we're all told by our "leaders" that removing a flag is going to solve something of importance.

So you want to know why "racism" is still an issue? It's called "political opportunism".

You and everyone who buy into the party line about the Confederate battle flag even being an issue here should be ashamed of yourselves for belittling the lives lost in the tragedy itself. The Confederate flag is no more an issue of racism than is the black-green-red colors of the Pan-African flag.

Re: focusing on the symbols of an issue

Jun 23, 2015, 3:51 PM

The stars and bars represents the Confederacy and its choice to continue with a policy of owning human beings for monetary gain at a time when that moral issue was being addressed in our country; unfortunately for a wonderful culture the wrong decision was made and thousands of good men died for it. The flag will forever be associated with that colossal failure of southern morals and the people it enslaved for monetary gain.

i agree, however the "stars an bars" isn't the

Jun 23, 2015, 6:36 PM

flag that is in the monument.

Re: focusing on the symbols of an issue

Jun 25, 2015, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: focusing on the symbols of an issue ]

You are completely wrong about the civil war. but I agree the flag was hijacked by groups like the kkk and skinheads and should be removed from state grounds.

Re: What are we supposed to do when a tragedy occurs?

Jun 23, 2015, 3:34 PM [ in reply to What are we supposed to do when a tragedy occurs? ]

Getting rid of the flag is an amazing way to channel the tragedy to good cause...along with making lazy bigoted politicians stand up and get behind doing the right thing

I agree but what will we blame it on next time?***

Jun 24, 2015, 10:54 AM [ in reply to What are we supposed to do when a tragedy occurs? ]

This is awesome.

Jun 25, 2015, 12:15 PM [ in reply to What are we supposed to do when a tragedy occurs? ]

Now you're the liberal ##### and I'm the cranky conservative.

It's good to know that while the world may change, you will always be a massive #########.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2015, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue ]

I agree, most of these people are coming out of the wood work like Roaches that has been just poisoned. They are using peoples death to refuel their agendas and rebooting their careers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2015, 10:52 PM

Maybe David Wilkins is heartfelt and sincerely believes these words. I choose to believe he does. And as a person of influence in our state, it is entirely appropriate for him, President Clements, the AD, and all the USC leaders to come out in support. With these prominent people, who I believe are reflecting the sentiments of the vast majority of South Carolinans, coming out in support of the flags removal, it makes it very hard for our weasel politicians to hide behind weak "heritage" and "states' rights" arguments which have allowed them to keep it up this long.

I'm white and it makes me uneasy to see it. Imagine how our fellow black citizens feel.

Chairman Wilkins is doing the right thing now. Why be such a cynic?

Wouldn't it be awesomely ironic if this dude

Jun 23, 2015, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue ]

who wanted to start a race war really did exactly the opposite? One who loves that flag is responsible for it being removed from the state house and retailers? One who wants us to hate each other actually creates a turning point in race relations?

That, to me, is enough reason to take the flag down. His "fame" will be the opposite of what he wanted. Let him live long enough to see his failure, then fry him.

I found it humorous that Lindsey Graham supported the flag

Jun 24, 2015, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: David Wilkins discusses confederate flag issue ]

where it is as a Senator but now that he is running for President, he has changed his view.

Trusetee Wilkins: Time to take down the flag but....

Jun 23, 2015, 5:20 PM

...Wilkins apparently thinks we should continue to honor one of the most heinous white supremacist of all time (Benjamin Tillman) at Clemson....go figure. Dylann Roof is a confused choir boy compared to Benjamin Tillman.

Restore "Old Main", move forward and put distance between Clemson University and Benjamin Tillman going forward and forever.

Agreed.***

Jun 23, 2015, 6:32 PM

No way and he said so already.......move on!***

Jun 23, 2015, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Trusetee Wilkins: Time to take down the flag but.... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tillman murdered black SC Senator before Roof did

Jun 24, 2015, 1:11 PM

Tillman and his paramilitary militia (Red Shirts - pre KKK) killed African American Senator Simon Corker in 1876. Does Clemson want their administration building named after someone who is no better than Dylann Roof? Is that ok with you?

Jun 23, 2015, 8:46 PM

The past happened! No amount of trying to erase it is going to accomplish anything. Why shouldn't our real desire be that the past be allowed to past without interfering with the present.
Someone's decision to honor a heritage or despise that heritage is of little concern to learning to live together in the present. Our forefathers live their present and we live ours.
My advice is that we quit trying to correct what has clearly passed...the south is no longer the same, so why not just stop being offended by the past and enjoy living in the knowledge that we are different today.
Political correctness has the feeling of someone trying to rub his views in the face of another. I think all races should step back, stop being offended by what another values or doesn't value and learn that we in America are living in the most un-racist period in our history.
The confederacy happened...let's not deny it, but learn from it. How many look at the flag as a reminder that we were proud and brave, but also, that thank God, we lost in destroying our union and saw the freeing of all slaves.
Another's self esteem should not rest on pre-conceived ideas that we must all confess to the wrongs done in the past. May we learn to appreciate the good in others. Abe Lincoln once said that if you look for the bad in people, you will find plenty of it... It is time that we simply look for the good and forgive as the dear folks in Charleston have.
Yes, criminals must be punished, but let stop gathering stones to toss at anyone who sees it differently than we do.

Jun 23, 2015, 10:57 PM

Hitler happened but Germany has decided not to have swastikas flying at the various government buildings. Wise choice not to honor that part of their past. SC is about to make a similar wise choice by choosing not to honor a 4 year period where our ancestors preferred to no longer be Americans and that they were ok with owning other human beings.

Jun 25, 2015, 10:47 AM

you are completely wrong about why the war was fought. that flag was hijacked by hate groups and that's why it should come down. not because of some made up history about the south. the war wasn't about slavery.

Amen

Jun 23, 2015, 8:59 PM

We should've been stronger and removed it 15 years ago. We didn't. And that's on us. It needs to go now because the message it sends is not reflective of SC today. And, really it wasn't reflective of SC in the 60s when a few people decided it was a good idea to put it up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a no brainer. Takeit down.***

Jun 24, 2015, 7:45 AM

nm

I'm not black and I have no white guilt.

Jun 24, 2015, 11:57 AM

I care a lot less about what others think of me than what I think of myself. Do what you want with the flag though I wonder if anything will ever be beyond political spin and bullchit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2015, 1:10 PM

I deplore the actions of Roof, who is certainly warped to the extent of derangement. So now shall we be prepared the for the social cleansing to follow? Mark my words, Tillman will be next!

Tillman murdered black SC Senator before Dylann Roof did

Jun 24, 2015, 1:14 PM

Tillman and his paramilitary militia (Red Shirts - pre KKK) killed African American Senator Simon Corker in 1876. Does Clemson want their administration building named after someone who is no better than Dylann Roof? Is that ok with you?

Other than killing innocents, did Dylan Roof

Jun 24, 2015, 1:29 PM

do anything good, like pave the way for the formation of Universities?

Stop retroactively imposing your current values on people from other times. Although I'm sure you don't support anything being done now that will be considered evil at some future date by people who aren't around now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terrorizing African Americans in 1876 was ok?

Jun 24, 2015, 3:47 PM

Benjamin Tillman murdered more African Americans (just as innocent as the victims in Charleston) than Roof. He terrorized them to suppress their vote (African American males were granted the right to vote as part of Reconstruction) and as governor, Tillman essentially re-enslaved every African American in SC through Jim Crow Laws until Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act in the early 1960's. But, Tillman did pave the way for Clemson and Winthrop University, so you don't consider Benjamin Tillman as evil as Dylann Roof?

I wonder if DeShaun Watson, Wayne Gallman, CJ Spiller, Albert Huggins, Artavis Scott, Mike Williams, Sammy Watson, Vic Beasley, Coach Elliott, Coach Scott, Coach Hobby, Coach Reed, Coach Venerables, or Coach Swinney would agree with you.

Recommendation: Get civilized. You're headed to the margins of (Clemson) society and there's nothing moral about your personal values as they pertain to Benjamin Tillman. Tillman Hall will be renamed within 5 years.

I've never been one to fly the Confederate flag

Jun 24, 2015, 1:25 PM

but I think I might start.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic