Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program

Mar 17, 2015, 5:12 PM

Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program

Clemson head coach Brad Brownell understands the fans’ frustrations with the recently-completed season, but he hopes new facilities and better recruiting will create the same kind of buzz around the basketball program that the football program currently enjoys. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program

Mar 17, 2015, 5:25 PM

I think winning seasons would do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Anyone excited about the new arena?

Mar 17, 2015, 5:30 PM

Hopefully it will really be special, but the folks I have talked to do not seem too excited.

Their reasons-

1) Plans revised, corners have been cut.

2) It is being made smaller.

3) Questions about Clemson's committment to basketball.

Re: Anyone excited about the new arena?

Mar 17, 2015, 5:47 PM

Well, talk about coaching all you want, but until Clemson Admin. & BOT get excited and committed to Basketball & Baseball its gonna be the same ol same ol

Yep. ^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^***

Mar 17, 2015, 5:57 PM

You're right. If the admin was committed they would have

Mar 17, 2015, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone excited about the new arena? ]

already fired both the basketball and baseball coaches.

Mar 17, 2015, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone excited about the new arena? ]

And it wouldn't matter who the coach is either. And with having to share the gym with the lady Tigers, we couldn't get a top name coach to come and coach at LittleJohn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! It's amazing how people

Mar 17, 2015, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone excited about the new arena? ]

understand the importance of facilities for our football team, but not for our basketball team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 18, 2015, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Anyone excited about the new arena? ]

No one is selling the specific merits of the new arena - why not? How is going from a 10,000 seat arena to one seating only 8,500 for the next 15 years going to aid us in our recruiting when other ACC teams are going to or already have upwards of 25,000 seats?

Mar 18, 2015, 7:51 PM

I don't think the size of the arena is as important as the energy it contains. If we can't fill a 10,000 seat arena we won't fill a 12,500 seat arena. A sold out 8,500 seat arena will have much more energy than a 2/3 filled arena with the same number of fans. Recruits surely don't shy away from the 9,300 seat Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Mar 18, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Anyone excited about the new arena? ]

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! now if it was to be 12,500 seats and something special with boxes and EVERY FAN could see all of the floor it MIGHT generate something that all of us could be proud of but this tiny thing is just "lip stick on a pig".. I certainly do not think this is the way to go!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So actually having player amenities,

Mar 18, 2015, 2:11 PM

a basketball op center with meeting rooms, weight room, dining area, offices and an actual practice court mean nothing? Those thing have always been the center of this thing

Re: New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program

Mar 17, 2015, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program ]

winning fixes everything

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2015, 9:23 PM

After five years of the program going backwards I would assume he is searching for something. If nothing else he is trying to create the scenario where it was the buildings fault and he needs another half decade to recruit to the new building. Barnes won here. Purnell won here.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:56 PM

"Barnes won here. Purnell won here" ... and then Barnes and Purnell quit ... all that proves is that even if we find a great coach, the chances are that he will quit on Clemson.

What great coach will come to Clemson and stay until the job is done?

Why will they come?

Why will they stay??

Mar 17, 2015, 5:36 PM

When are they going to release more artist's depunctions?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2015, 5:54 PM

it doesnt matter what they do to LittleJohn......you have to have clear cut talent and more than a average coach to bring any success to this program....

What they do re: facilities matters a great deal ...

Mar 17, 2015, 8:26 PM

... it's all part of the overall commitment to the program that is necessary to attract the kind of coaching staff the fans seem to expect, who will then recruit the caliber of players the fans seem to expect.

It's not a coincidence that we are getting Top-5 football recruiting classes now when simply breaking into the Top-20 was considered successful before our facilities upgrades.

Maybe Brad Brownell isn't the salesman Dabo Swinney is, but a salesman has to have something to sell and we've basically given our basketball coaches nothing to sell and then expected miracles.

would it have taken a miracle to beat some of the second ...

Mar 18, 2015, 11:37 AM

tier teams we lost to this year. We've seen this before where coaches don't take any ownership of what's wrong with their team. Are we to believe there are 105 basketball programs that have better facilities than Clemson? Batter fans than Clemson?

We lost to some teams we should have beaten, but we also

Mar 18, 2015, 2:10 PM

beat some teams we probably shouldn't have beaten.

Taken as a whole, things evened out and the record was about as good as anyone expected pre-season.

Would you trade wins over Syracuse, LSU, Arkansas, etc. for wins over Gardner Webb, Winthrop, and Rutgers?

But that wasn't the subject of the post anyway. The discussion centered on whether building new facilities matters or not ... to the present coaching staff, or to any coaching staff that might replace them.

The Clemson basketball coaching staff (whoever they might be) has to have top facilities in order to maximize whatever coaching and recruiting abilities they may possess.

Re: We lost to some teams we should have beaten, but we also

Mar 18, 2015, 3:58 PM

There are 2 issues at play, 1.) Facilities, 2.) Brownell's coaching skill.

Facilities will improve recruiting

Facilities will not improve Brownell's coaching.

With the same facilities the program is worse than it was than his first couple of years. That has nothing to do with facilities. Other coaches have one in these facilities. Brownell's coaching simply does not lend itself to offense or any kind of consistency. A lack of consistency is THE hallmark of poor coaching.

He just finished his 6th year. Times up.

Once again ... new facilities are not for Brownell, they are

Mar 18, 2015, 6:33 PM

for Clemson.

The new facilities are crucial no matter who is coaching the team.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program ]

What was your previous screen name #### boy?

null

You don't think recruiting to crappy facilities is an issue?

Mar 17, 2015, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Brownell hopes new hoops facilities will bring energy to Clemson program ]

You make it sound like a good recruiter could just wave his hands and talent would be knocking down the doors to come to Clemson. We have little basketball history or tradition at Clemson, so top recruits won't consider us until we have better facilities (i.e., player amenities). The schools we want to compete with have the facilities, so we better have them too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So Gardner-Webb has better facilities than us?

Mar 17, 2015, 6:05 PM

They beat us. So did Winthrop at home. We did pound High Point at home by 3 points though. Nothing new has happened for Coach Brownell bc nothing has happened on the Basketball court. We can't compete with Duke, UNC, Louisville, & Syracuse. I get it, but we're not even winning the warmup games in Novemer.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

We beat Syracuse, so evidently we can compete with them.

Mar 17, 2015, 8:18 PM

We weren't a good team this year, but we did beat some good teams ... for example, we also beat NC State and Pitt ... if we're taking one-game examples and extrapolating them to have any bearing on the state of the program as a whole.

What about Auburn? LSU? Arkansas? Do they have worse facilities than Gardner Webb or Winthrop ??

Exactly! If you're going talk about the bad losses

Mar 17, 2015, 8:37 PM

You gotta talk about the good wins. If luck had swing our way we should've added Notre dame and Louisville at Louisville to that list. Had both those teams beat.

We are right there and with Shyatt we were never close.

Brownell is a good coach. The fact is Clemson has always

Mar 17, 2015, 6:08 PM

been well behind the curve in basketball. It was this way back in the '70's. Any fan who feels otherwise has no knowledge of Clemson sports history. Football was where the focus has been, and is also the most revenue generating sport for the entire athletic department.

We needed facility upgrades in football too way back in the 90's. But we are just now getting back to where we needed to be there.

Brad is a good guy, and a knowledgable coach. We haven't been recruiting quite as consistently since Shaka Smart left for Florida. I think if Brad can get some more quality shooters to go with his style of offense / defense, we will be more consistent, even in the top heavy ACC.

Re: Brownell is a good coach. The fact is Clemson has always

Mar 18, 2015, 9:18 AM

Brownell has no style on offense, I can't figure out what he's trying to do with it. We don't set any picks, we often seem content to stand around at the top of key & run the shot clock down & jack up contested 30 ft. jumpers. It looks like the plan is to have the point guard beat somebody off the dribble and dish or shoot - this is what you see in AAU basketball & it wont get the job done in the ACC no matter who you recruit.

Mar 17, 2015, 6:30 PM

Some comparisons to football in the posts but a big difference is that I have not heard the vision for Clemson basketball. Dabo is very clear in his vision: To league championships and be in the discussion for the playoff. He sells this to recruits. Dabo's words: "Why not Clemson". I have never heard this type of discussion from Coach Brad. It always just improve, get better, bla bla. I would like to see coach Brad get put a little fire in the program - act like a used car salesman. Be a little like Dabo. Yes, I know football has a better history but it has to start somewhere. A crazy thought so please don't shoot me down, but I'll bet if Dabo was made basketball coach within a couple of years he would be competing in the ACC. He would go out and sell Clemson even though maybe the facilities are not the greatest. Remember his dandy dozen? Facilities will help but they will not solve the problem. I'll bet Gardner Web does not have world class facilities. We have to light a fire in the program. Brad has to come out of his mold as a good x and o coach and become the number 1 used car salesman and say why not Clemson.

Mar 17, 2015, 8:36 PM

Not only had ground been broke but the WEZ was nearly complete by the time Dabo signed the Dandy Dozen.

This is my case for Brownell. Let's see what he can do with new facilities. All of those "mediocre" classes that Bowden inked, Dabo was the recruiting coordiantor. Sometimes even the best car salesman needs a decent product to sale.

HOPE is not a strategy!

Mar 17, 2015, 6:32 PM

Hope don't float! Brad - make it happen.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So do I. Brownlee gets it, and he's right, new facilities

Mar 17, 2015, 7:22 PM

are a must if we are going to attract better players and our basketball program is going to get better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Is that you Tommy?***

Mar 17, 2015, 7:32 PM

Mar 17, 2015, 7:46 PM

Maybe he should hoop and not hope

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He needs to bring the energy to the Clemson program. He

Mar 17, 2015, 8:02 PM

and the players. And here's a news bulletin, the new Littlejohn looks just like the current one which looks just like the old one before the last scaled down remodeling.

Old Clemson coaches in NCAA

Mar 17, 2015, 8:17 PM

Larry Shyatt (you read that right) - Wyoming
Matt Driscoll (Shyatt assistant) - University of North Florida
Rick Barnes - Texas
Cliff Ellis - Coastal Carolina.

So there are 3 people to cheer for since we can't cheer for our team in anything. Oh wait GOOOO RENOVATIONS!. And for those who think I counted wrong, I will never cheer for Barnes. Grew up in my home town went to Lenoir-Rhyne (in my home town). And betrayed tiger nation grrr.

Mar 17, 2015, 8:38 PM

I wish we had got PJ Dozier and not South Carolina..

News Update; Brad can't recruit....

Mar 17, 2015, 8:56 PM

I think it's obvious by now and blaming the problem on the facilities is a cop out when we are getting beat by teams with less talent and worse facilities on a regular basis. It's clearly time for Brad to move on. Shame on DRad for not demanding accountabliy of his coaches and acting like Clemson is desperate by handing out a four year extension to the guy after a less than stellar start.

Re: News Update; Brad can't recruit....

Mar 17, 2015, 9:08 PM

I have to agree with that. According to ESPN he hasn't recruited a top 50 class since he's been here. But that's not the biggest problem. His teams are incredibly inconsistent, you never new who was going to hit the floor. Beat by Winthrop....take Notre Dame to the wire. That is 100% coaching or lack there of.

Facilities matter clearly, but that isn't going to make BB a better coach. Like him or don't like him Rick Barnes took us to the NCAA routinely and he did it with Littlejohn. Since he's gone to Texas (a football school) he' taken them to the NCAA 14 our of the last 15 years.

Six years is plenty of time for any D1 coach to build a winning program or at least get it going in the right direction.

It's the 6th year, no NIT, no NCAA....times up.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:17 PM

Clemson is never going to land the high profile recruits, I don't care who our coach is, but BB has done a great job, I've got too many memories of Clemson being in the bottom 3 year in and year out

NEVER?!? Not with that attitude, we won't.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:21 PM

It's not really fair to make statements like "Clemson will never land the high profile recruits" when we have never invested in basketball enough to give us that chance.

Mar 18, 2015, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: News Update; Brad can't recruit.... ]

I think he can recruit Oul Babalola, Vernan Hamilon, and MAYBE Bobby Shay talent. ;) Shyatt II

You need to go back to following football recruiting

Mar 17, 2015, 9:08 PM [ in reply to News Update; Brad can't recruit.... ]

You obviously know nothing about basketball

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2015, 10:35 PM [ in reply to News Update; Brad can't recruit.... ]

What was your previous screen name?

null

The double standard is laughable.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:09 PM

When Dabo wasn't doing great, and it was obvious that Clemson's facilities were not as good as they needed to be, you supported new facilities. If Alabama, Auburn, Oregon, or FSU is doing it, then by all means, we must try to keep up with them. It was said that our coach deserved an even playing field. I agree with this, and we have seen the great results in recruiting and wins as a result of doing so.

When it comes to basketball, why shouldn't we do the same?!? Clemson basketball has always been recruiting against other schools with better facilities. We can't compete on history or tradition, so you better believe we should have great facilities. And even then, it's an uphill battle. But at least we are trying.

Otherwise, how can you honestly say that you expect to have a consistently good basketball program?!?

Re: The double standard is laughable.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:30 PM

I disagree. If Dabo's last 2 seasons were worse than his first 2 seasons....he'd be out of a job. He struggled early but steadily improved. Brownell did well early and has steadily declined. There is no double standard at play.

There is absolutely a double standard.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:50 PM

95% of TigerNet discussion is about football. Not just which players people think are going to have a good year, or which recruits look good, but what is being done to improve things for the football team. Most fans on here know which players Clemson is recruiting for 2016 and 2017, and some for 2018. People post recruit's tweets. They post stuff about Oregon's new building or FSU's new building, and expect Clemson to do the same.

Dabo has gotten a LOT. We have the West End Zone, new locker rooms, new weight room, new player lounges, new indoor practice facility, and now new football administration building. What has Brownell gotten?!?

Football gets a blank check, basketball gets a piggy bank

Mar 18, 2015, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: The double standard is laughable. ]

there absolutely is a double standard when fans hold basketball to realistically a higher standard and then tell the basketball program to fight with one hand tied behind their back.

Now the question really is, do we really care that basketball is mediocre and are we really willing to give them what it takes to compete? What if what it takes to compete in basketball takes away resources from football?

Re: Football gets a blank check, basketball gets a piggy bank

Mar 18, 2015, 10:17 AM

^^^^^This is SPOT ON^^^^^

OhWiseOne hopes a new approach to offense will bring energy

Mar 17, 2015, 10:57 PM

to Clemson program

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about let's improve from 289th in offense***

Mar 17, 2015, 11:17 PM

Agree but Jack's had many new park upgrades but still losing

Mar 17, 2015, 11:19 PM [ in reply to OhWiseOne hopes a new approach to offense will bring energy ]

What's going on with that.. And him?! GeeZ.

GoTiGERS..just win!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about just WIN, winning creates all the energy you need***

Mar 18, 2015, 7:45 AM

marlborocountycoot = tigerfanjack = alltimeClemson

Mar 18, 2015, 8:32 AM

Energy is the coaches job. If he's relying on an arena for

Mar 18, 2015, 7:54 AM

energy fire him now. Dabo doesn't need new facilities for energy and a positive attitude. OP created energy in LJ. All good leaders create energy and positivity regardless of their surroundings.

Re: Energy is the coaches job. If he's relying on an arena for

Mar 18, 2015, 9:47 AM

Easy to say when Dabo took over as out facility projects were completing and we were in the midst of throwing a TON of money at Football.

If you dont think facilites matter then look at Football recruiting before and after the WEZ was started/finished.

null

Dabo had energy and a plan. He'd have succeeded regardless.***

Mar 18, 2015, 10:14 PM

So why does Dabo talk about how important facilities are?

Mar 18, 2015, 10:18 PM

Like it or not they are crucial in every sport. A big part of Dabo's plan in ongoing facility upgrades

So why is Dabo asking for a football only facility?

Mar 18, 2015, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Energy is the coaches job. If he's relying on an arena for ]

Maybe to create energy, pride and ownership of a program to players, coaches and future players?

Re: So why is Dabo asking for a football only facility?

Mar 18, 2015, 11:07 AM

Maaaaybe if Brad toots his horn as loud as Dabo, he'll get cool stuff (facilities, whatever else) too!

Brownell should've chose his words better

Mar 18, 2015, 11:23 AM

if he would've come out & said how excited he was and couldn't wait ONLY. Instead of the we don't have anything and shifting the blame towards that it would've made a big difference. I think he's a great person but we are the only major D1 school offering a lot of these guys. I remember he said before that one certain player wasn't used to handling the load bc he wasn't even the "go to" guy on his own high school team. When we struggle against the small schools at home then something else is the problems besides the facilities.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Im excited

Mar 18, 2015, 1:01 PM

About the team playing in Greenville next yr. It will be alot easier to go see a week night game... Has anyone approached Greenville about tailgating and the rules?

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic