Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

New Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted?

Dec 2, 2014, 11:34 AM

What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted?

With the departure of Chad Morris, Clemson fans are clamoring to know who will step in and take the reins of the Clemson offense. One name that will certainly be high on head coach Dabo Swinney's list is wide receivers coach Jeff Scott.What kind of play caller would Scott be? How did he fare in high school?
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted?

Dec 2, 2014, 11:37 AM
whammy_3081.jpg(46.0 K)

Hopefully not this guy...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted?

Dec 2, 2014, 2:12 PM

Lets hire an established OC and not wonder if someone would be good in that position. He is a great recruiter. Let him do what he is good at.

Dec 2, 2014, 3:11 PM

At some point a person has to be given a chance to move up. I'm sure glad you weren't my supervisor. I would have been passed over all of my career rather than being given a chance. BTW, how many head coaching jobs did Dabo have before he got the one at Clemson?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2014, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted? ]

He has been a very good coach and recruiter at Clemson. Coach Swinney brought in a young coach (Chad Morris) that worked out pretty well.Coach Scott has been an understudy for four years under Morris. I've always believed it best to promote from within when possible. If Coach Swinney picks him for OC and so far he's not been wrong, it would be foolish to go outside to find someone else. He knows the offense,the schemes and players and gets along well with the coaches. He's a Tiger and would do well.

I say promote Scott to OC...He knows what to do...

Dec 2, 2014, 11:39 AM

He had two of the best mentors he could have between his dad and Morris.

Re: I say promote Scott to OC...He knows what to do...

Dec 2, 2014, 11:54 AM

I agree 100%... I just hope he can get into a rhythm early, and set the tone because recruits for next season are going to be watching his play calling during the bowl game. We need to find position coaches and assistants to replace those whom are following Chad to SMU.

GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

I am not opposed to someone that is willing to push the

Dec 2, 2014, 12:02 PM

envelope from time to time when the circumstance permits. I want an OC that will keep opposing defenses on their toes because they don't know what may be thrown at them and when. Let's play "the game"!

Dec 2, 2014, 12:02 PM

Excellent!! Give Jeff the ball!

I was at the game that Scot won the state championship

Dec 2, 2014, 12:04 PM

I went to Timberland and was in the band. I still say he shouldn't have won that game. Refs blew a huge
call that determined the winner. Was a very good game though.

*Scott***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:04 PM

Re: I was at the game that Scot won the state championship

Dec 2, 2014, 12:14 PM [ in reply to I was at the game that Scot won the state championship ]

Really? Are you one of those people that are just unhappy no matter what? Bad calls are part of the game and happens in every game. Just go back to this past Saturday with the targeting call on Anthony. The man went 14-1 he must of did something right. This was a great story on the character of good and upcoming coach. Great job of writing keep up the great work and no matter who Dabo hires as OC he will have my full support. Go Tigers!

Woah, calm down.

Dec 2, 2014, 6:49 PM

I'm not one of those guys. I was simply stating what happened. If you were there you'd understand.
I do realize they are a part of the game. But I think it is acceptable to be angry when they do happen.
Because they shouldn't. I was also angry with that ejection. And the blown fumble. Because they were
mistakes.

Sorry, bro.

However, I am very happy that we have Scott. I think he is a great coach and developer of talent.
Go tigers!

Dec 2, 2014, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I was at the game that Scot won the state championship ]

Reffs are part of every game that will ever be played in college FB. The saying that every successful coach has had some luck following them, is the absolute truth. But really smart coaches make most of their luck happen. I shot a flying black bird from the air a long time ago with a 22 rifle. Everybody that saw it starting screaming what a lucky shot it was, and it was. But I would have never had luck come into the picture if I hadn't been a good marksman to begin with.

Kind of like now, my pistol I keep around and fire a lot is a S&W 40 M&P Shield. I hit 5 inch targets with it at 25 yards, 5 and 6 times out every clip of 8 rounds. Shooting is something I'm good at but, I shoot no less than 150/200 rounds every month. And if someones breaks through either of my doors or windows, their dead b/c its my duty to protect my wife and myself. And none of my doors or windows are 25 yards from where Me and S&W sit.

Just like Jeff coaching FB, it's something that Jeff Scott is good at b/c his intentions are to be the best he can be at it, and he works very hard at it. And it has shown in the receivers he has help get to the NFL. His job and responsibility is to get his players as good as there talents will allow them to be. And Jeff made his luck happen by recruiting and bringing in the best talent he could get. We all know how tough it is to make the first round in the NFL with the ratio of colleges and college athletes to NFL teams. I say h&ll yes, promote Jeff, I'll bet on his success!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen brotha! ??***

Dec 2, 2014, 1:46 PM

Dec 2, 2014, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I was at the game that Scot won the state championship ]

count me with you brother!

Dec 2, 2014, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I was at the game that Scot won the state championship ]

I'm very glad he took the Clemson job. It's paying off in a very large way!

He has my vote.

Dec 2, 2014, 12:06 PM

Bring in another young guy to be the receivers coach as Scott already has expertise there or shuffle it around a bit and move Elliot over to receivers coach and bring in someone else to work with running backs. Point is, you have options to work with. GO TIGERS, FUTURE IS BRIGHT, LET THE SUNSHINE IN!

Well, you're about to find out

Dec 2, 2014, 12:17 PM

that is all.

give him the bowl game and see how it goes***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:19 PM

Re: give him the bowl game and see how it goes***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:21 PM

Yea TU, that's my attitude as well

But I fully trust Dabo's decision either way

Dec 2, 2014, 12:22 PM

Give him the opportunity. He has earned it!

Inexperienced, never called the first play or designed a

Dec 2, 2014, 12:25 PM

single play or developed a single game plan.

He may be great in due time, but we dont have time to play that here at Clemson. We have massive skill talent coming in next year and we need a REAL OL, someone with experience. Let's not become on the job training U.

excuse me REAL OC

Dec 2, 2014, 12:27 PM

however we do need a REAL OLine too

you think working as CM assistant for 3 years he didn't pick

Dec 2, 2014, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Inexperienced, never called the first play or designed a ]

up how to develop a gameplan? You don't think he helped design schemes and plays? C'mon man.

Re: you think working as CM assistant for 3 years he didn't pick

Dec 2, 2014, 12:41 PM

We don't know whether he did or didn't. I'd rather not leave it to "maybe". That's why I'd be in favor of seeing him be the OC at the bowl game and then use that as a test before interviewing other potential OCs.

Maybe, maybe not, how do we know, and what OC goes to

Dec 2, 2014, 12:44 PM [ in reply to you think working as CM assistant for 3 years he didn't pick ]

his WR coach and asks for advice, or shares his thoughts with a WR coach. The offense was Chad's, it was Chad's before he came here. He designed it. Do you think Jeff Scott knows all the intracacies of it? And if he has trouble during the game, who's he going to ask? Dabo? HAHAHA. Is he going to call timeout and call Chad on his cellular phone? Who's going to coach the QB position?? Jeff?

This is a truly amateurish move. TERRIBLE!!!

Not even a single interview of any candidate.

Not making a case for him but we do have recentl

Dec 2, 2014, 2:31 PM

History with promoting wr coaches.

Re: Not making a case for him but we do have recentl

Dec 2, 2014, 2:45 PM

Wasn't Napier our WR coach before being promoted as well?

I thought he always coached qbs...

Dec 2, 2014, 2:58 PM

Dab was wr coach when he got promoted then took on Scott from .ga ...then napier to oc right?

You obviously know ZERO about what you are speaking...

Dec 2, 2014, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Maybe, maybe not, how do we know, and what OC goes to ]

An offensive staff works as a group to put together a gameplan, scout teams, draw up new plays, etc. The Coordinator has the final say and the HC has veto power but it is a group effort, dictators don't last and no one wants to work for them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Re: Maybe, maybe not, how do we know, and what OC goes to

Dec 3, 2014, 5:54 AM [ in reply to Maybe, maybe not, how do we know, and what OC goes to ]

> his WR coach and asks for advice, or shares his
> thoughts with a WR coach. The offense was Chad's, it
> was Chad's before he came here. He designed it. Do
> you think Jeff Scott knows all the intracacies of it?
> And if he has trouble during the game, who's he
> e going to ask? Dabo? HAHAHA. Is he going to call
> timeout and call Chad on his cellular phone? Who's
> going to coach the QB position?? Jeff?
>
> This is a truly amateurish move. TERRIBLE!!!
>
> Not even a single interview of any candidate.

AllTimeClemson,obviously you didn't read the article that you are posting under because if you had read it, you could have avoided your nonsensical post. With your thought process, I assume that you thought the hiring of a former WR coach, with no coordinator experience, as the head coach of a major college football team, was a really bad idea. I think Dabo has turned out just fine. Did he make some mistakes, I think he would acknowledge that, but he learned from it and grew in his experience. Just look at our overall football program right now and it is a success and will be even more successful in the future because Dabo is at the head of it making really good decisions on personnel Reread the article and I think you might come to a different opinion. At age 26 Jeff Scott, in his first year as a HC, took a first year football program to the state championship and won using a combination of a spread offense and a strong running game. That is beyond incredible. We will be fine!!! Just relax!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you spewed this same crap when Clemson hired a WR

Dec 3, 2014, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Maybe, maybe not, how do we know, and what OC goes to ]

coach as head coach huh? How did that work out?

And you know this,how?***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Inexperienced, never called the first play or designed a ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Inexperienced, never called the first play or designed a

Dec 2, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Inexperienced, never called the first play or designed a ]

You may have a point...kind of promoting a wide receiver coach to a head coach...that NEVER works out!

Didn't he design and call a fake fg against scar

Dec 2, 2014, 2:24 PM

As a player that won us the game?

Dec 2, 2014, 12:34 PM

Let him be the OC in the bowl game. If we name him the OC without interviewing anyone else, I think we're making a big mistake. If Dabo interviews a bunch of guys and that's what he feels is right, then OK...but we've got a top-level program now. Next season we'll have as talented of an offensive roster as there is in the nation. Elite offensive coordinators will want to work with Deshaun Watson. We should test the waters with guys like Meacham at TCU, Montgomerry at Baylor, Norvell at Arizona State, Riley at ECU.

Scott could be a very good OC eventually, and he's an incredible recruiter. I'd love to let him focus on that aspect of the team and bring in an OC who's experienced and ready right now to bring this team to the next level. Like many other people, I'm a bit nervous about the relationship between Scott & Dabo being far too close for Scott to feel comfortable telling Dabo to stay away from the offense if he becomes meddlesome.

If Dabo goes through interviews and feels like Scott is the right choice, then I'll trust his judgement. But if Scott's hired without interviewing anyone I'll feel like we'll be setting ourselves up for mediocrity.

Dec 2, 2014, 2:48 PM

Surly you're not talking the type of mediocrity that Terry Don Phillips set us up for with Dabo are you. Just asking b/c Jeff has tons more experience to be OC than you would have thought for Dabo being a HC. I mean Dabo was never even a HS HC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2014, 3:40 PM

And I thought it was a mistake at the time to not interview anyone else. I'll stand by that. I still think it should have been done, even though Dabo has worked out very well. I'm not against Dabo being hired or Scott eventually being hired. I just want to make sure we've explored all of our options.

It should also be noted, that Clemson was a different place when Dabo was hired. We had been a middling team for nearly a decade and a half, with short bursts of almost pushing ourselves to the next level. Now, we've made it to that next level. We should be able to hire a next-level coach.

Dec 2, 2014, 12:34 PM

Loads of skeptics for Chad Morris when he was hired and that turned out pretty dang good!! Give Jeff a shot - he has earned it!! ALL IN for whatever decision Dabo makes. All of Tiger Nation needs to get behind the new hire and get ready for some exciting offense with all the young bucks we have!! GO TIGERS!!

Dec 2, 2014, 12:44 PM

How has Jeff earned it? By being a good recruiter? He's done a great job there, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a successful OC.

Yes, the last time he hired an OC, it was a home run.

However the last time he hired an OC from within, he hired Napier, which was a certified disaster.

And the last time Dabo promoted someone he was close to personally, and stuck with him because "he had earned it", was Cole Stoudt.

So yea, we should be very thankful of everything Jeff Scott has done...and maybe we do land on him eventually. But we should check every option we have available to us first.

He's "earned it" just like Cole Stoudt "earned" the starting

Dec 2, 2014, 1:37 PM

QB job....loyalty. We all see how that worked out.

Worked great this past Saturday.***

Dec 2, 2014, 1:51 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Worked great this past Saturday.***

Dec 2, 2014, 2:05 PM

Yea, that -62.6 QB rating this past Saturday could be an NCAA record low.

Re: He's "earned it" just like Cole Stoudt "earned" the starting

Dec 3, 2014, 6:06 AM [ in reply to He's "earned it" just like Cole Stoudt "earned" the starting ]

AllTimeClemson, people with your mind set have always amazed me. You look into a bushel basket of apples and only see the one that is less than perfect and complain about them all. Wow, it must be tough living with that type of attitude but you are certainly free to continue it. I choose to appreciate the good ones and deal with the one that is less than perfect. I would suggest talking to some of the players or listen to some of the folks that are very close to the program and have a lot better idea of what is going on. Nothing personal, but you don't have a clue, just an opinion, and we all know about opinions! I'm not even going to attempt to explain the Stoudt siutation again because your mind is made up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2014, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted? ]

I saw an article the other day but can't seem find b/c I thought it was an SI article. But Dabo said that he had been preparing for Chad jump to the HC-ing ranks for sometime now, and I'm pretty sure that he said that it was going to be Jeff. I hope so b/c I 100% believe in Jeff. He has a very bright mind and has been working for this moment, for this time in his life for a long time, and I think it's his time. It's not like he's a dunb A$S that wouldn't be able to grasp it very quickly. I have 53 years of my heart and soul in our Tigers, and I love the Clemson Tigers more than anything out side of my family and home life. Everything I wear, some part of it is orange, even my ties I wear to church on Sunday's And I'm willing to give Jeff the steering wheel and see how well he can drive it. I do know this, Jeff is one I would hate to see leave b/c he wasn't given a chance to do what I believe he can do... If Jeff does what I believe he can do, and Jeff mostly grew up Orange. And he is a Clemson grad, he would be around for a long time. And with everything it could mean with his success, to me is well worth the risk.

Where is Friedgen? Rutgers?

Dec 2, 2014, 12:37 PM

We should have people calling us for the chance to work with #4.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Friedgen doesn't do the type of spread offense Dabo prefers.***

Dec 2, 2014, 1:44 PM

Should be obvious to all by now. Dabo makes great hires.

Dec 2, 2014, 12:40 PM

Trust him.

Billy Napier and Kevin Steele say he doesnt, not ALWAYS

Dec 2, 2014, 12:45 PM

Coach Cheese says hello as well.

When those didn't work out, what did Dabo do?***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:49 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: When those didn't work out, what did Dabo do?***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:56 PM

He fired Napier after what, two terrible years? That's kind of the point. We currently have arguably the most talented QB to ever suit up for Clemson. Given his talent level, odds are he's gone after his junior year. It's irresponsible to make a "test run" with a totally inexperienced OC without even considering anyone else out there.

Re: When those didn't work out, what did Dabo do?***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:57 PM [ in reply to When those didn't work out, what did Dabo do?*** ]

They were already there and he gave them a chance didn't work out, Scott will be great at the job no worries there a bright young mind with lots of young talent talent that he recruited, putting his own spin on this offense it's going to be awesome!

P.s. Dear friend of mine, a head coach at a college, really likes Scott and said he has a very creative mind but knows what works and what doesn't work

No, they werent already there

Dec 2, 2014, 1:00 PM

Napier was only a QB coach and Dabo made the decision to promote him to OC. Steele was at Bama and he hired him. Coach Cheese was fired from Miss State and he hired him.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Re: No, they werent already there

Dec 2, 2014, 1:04 PM

Hey settle down young man, I do have an idea but I am not perfect oops I made a mistake. Take a breather dude are your a coot and still butthurt coming out all fired up like that?

playing the coot card = a liberal playing the race card

Dec 2, 2014, 1:12 PM

cant win a debate on facts, so you just start shaming and name calling....congratulations :)

Re: No, they werent already there

Dec 3, 2014, 6:12 AM [ in reply to No, they werent already there ]

> Napier was only a QB coach and Dabo made the decision
> to promote him to OC. Steele was at Bama and he
> hired him. Coach Cheese was fired from Miss State
> and he hired him.
>
> Do you even know what you're talking about?

I can tell you one thing, AllTimeClemson, you don't have a frreaking clue about what you are talking about!!! Nothing pesonal, Big Guy, just that you don't have a clue how things work!

The Napier fiasco probably cost us at least one ACC title.

Dec 2, 2014, 1:52 PM [ in reply to When those didn't work out, what did Dabo do?*** ]

If you don't mind possibly wasting a few years (and perhaps crushing some potential NFL-careers) by taking the chance of hiring an unproven OC, then promote Scott, like Napier.

Where is Napier the OC now? Nowhere. He's back to being a WR coach.

If you want to increase the chance of success, hire a proven OC (like Morris).

Morris was a proven OC when we hired him?

Dec 2, 2014, 3:25 PM

1 year at lowly Tulsa. I has the confuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

true but seems so risky when Watson's reign is only

Dec 2, 2014, 7:31 PM [ in reply to When those didn't work out, what did Dabo do?*** ]

2-3 years. DW can take us where we haven't been in 33 years. the only thing that gives me pause is Napier.

Why not do your due diligence?? Why not even interview a

Dec 2, 2014, 12:46 PM

single outside candidate? Why not even interview a single experienced OC??

24/7 Sports says its already a done deal.

Because Scott paid his dues, just like Stoudt. Loyalty>skill***

Dec 2, 2014, 1:53 PM

Re: Why not do your due diligence?? Why not even interview a

Dec 3, 2014, 6:18 AM [ in reply to Why not do your due diligence?? Why not even interview a ]

> single outside candidate? Why not even interview a
> single experienced OC??
>
> 24/7 Sports says its already a done deal.

AllTiimeClemson, do you know for a fact that Dabo did not consider any other person for the job? I doubt it, you just like to complain. Do you think for one second that Dabo isn't working on personnel issues all the time, evaluating various people and talking with other knowledgeable people about potential candidates for various positions? All leaders do that all the time, that is one of their primary jobs. Dabo has a plan and he is executing that plan and he will be judged on the results which I believe will be very favorable.

Dec 2, 2014, 12:55 PM

I'm sold! This dude coached a team to a state championship in his first year. He's a hard worker and he knows what he has fits what he is use to doing.

He can also develop talent. Bryant, Watkins, and Nuk proves that and Mike Williams and Tay Scott are continued progress of it. It is one thing to recruit 3-star, 4-star, and 5-star athletes. It's another to develop them.

I think he is our man!!!

Dec 2, 2014, 1:07 PM

he's a good hard working boy...let him bring in your mail

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2014, 12:55 PM

Well I knew it was just a matter of time before the Jeff Scott propaganda started. Tigernet never fails to produce articles when I comes to their boosters. Coaches or rich fathers of walk-ons begging for playing time. I know I know I'll let it go one day.

I agree with other posters. Let him have a shot at the bowl game. Dabo and Jeff together would be a good combo. Not to mention DW4 has a QBR as good as Marcus Mariota. So not like he will let you down.

Obviously DW4 is gonna go through all his reads and check downs properly. So even I could have 5 guys run random routes and DW4 would find someone open. He is amazing.

Dabo will not let us down. He has yet to have a bad hire. He is a great leader of men. I am not a football coach but I try to model my leadership at work after Dabo. God, Family, Clemson. :)

love the sarcasm. ??

Dec 2, 2014, 2:15 PM

I agree with you by the way.

At some point, we need to go for proven winners and not gamble. Dabo has turned out OK, except from the Chad Kelly, Cole Stoudt, Billy Napier, and Kevin Steele debacles. But hey, no one bats1000.

Dabo did make changes when things were not working (see Chad and Brent as examples). He tends to be loyal to a fault although but I prefer that versus a Spurrier "one chance and you are done" approach.

I would have a very short leash on the Jeff Scott try out. That said, if we just bypass Scott, you can be sure he leaves and that would be a big blow to recruiting. We need to give him a shot and who knows, maybe he will prove to be found $. It isn't like he hasn't had decent background to evolve into a great play caller. I have little doubt about his talent assessment, recruiting and position coaching abilities. We just need to see if he can do the whole thing.

To be honest, I have not been overly impressed by Chad's play calling either. I think Spurrier played Chad like a fiddle when they had the D to execute.

Cheaper than the last guy.***

Dec 2, 2014, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Dec 2, 2014, 12:58 PM

one year of hs play calling and the knowledge that he will work hard and make the most of it

I'm convinced :-/

Holy downgrade batman

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why take the risk of Napier 2.0? Why not hire a proven OC?***

Dec 2, 2014, 1:58 PM

See my "love the sarcasm" post above...***

Dec 2, 2014, 2:18 PM

Re: Why take the risk of Napier 2.0? Why not hire a proven OC?***

Dec 2, 2014, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Why take the risk of Napier 2.0? Why not hire a proven OC?*** ]

Why is there any connection between Scott and Napier? I don't know if Scott is the best choice or not but I know who I trust to make the the decision and it sure isn't anybody on this board. Morris had one year as OC on top of high school. Scott has much more college level experience than Morris had. Morris was good though. He was one of the first hurry up spread types but OC's running similar offenses are a dime a dozen now. Morris had the skill players to work with. Who has been instrumental in recruiting those players? If it came down to losing Jeff Scott's recruiting skills vs. taking whatever risk there is in naming him OC, would be easy choice to me.

Dec 2, 2014, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Why take the risk of Napier 2.0? Why not hire a proven OC?*** ]

It's a tough call. If you don't promote JS to OC, I think he's gone, along with his recruiting, contacts and connection with the CU receivers and players...tough call for Dabo...someone gave him a shot and he may feel he needs to do the same. He knows who and what he has in JS as well as the grasp JS has or doesn't have with our offense. I'm guessing that Dabo knew that it was just a matter of time before CM would leave for a HC job and had others become familiar with the scheme...making the play calls may carry a bit more pressure...the Dabo will make his best call.

Dec 2, 2014, 2:54 PM

Everybody take a deep breath. I too am concerned that if we play this wrong Jeff will leave. On the other hand you can not let that hold you hostage in your decision making. Every one is talking about Morris's great play calling skills, yes he was a successful HS coach, but he only had one year in FBS football before coming to Clemson.
I too would like to let Jeff take the OC role for the bowl game and see how the game plan develops. EITHER way, we need to open the checkbook. Scott is currently grossly underpaid compared to the other assistant coaches, yet (if you follow him on twitter)it seems he spends more time than any of them on the road recruiting, as he should as recruiting coordinator. It is evident that he has done one heck of a job recruiting and developing talent. The logical next step in his career is OC. The decision is Dabo's but if we go with someone else for OC, we have to give Scott a raise.

Totally agree

Dec 2, 2014, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Why take the risk of Napier 2.0? Why not hire a proven OC?*** ]

It shouldn't take the program declining for 2 or 3 years before you figure out, you
made a mistake.

Now, it could be a success. But so could hiring Bill Cosby...but why take the risk.

It leaves the WHOLE offensive staff as soft....IMO.

But, if we could hire someone to asst him....that might work, IMO.

IMHO

Dec 2, 2014, 2:19 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1418518&tstart=0

Does AD use TNet to propagandize fans for coach hires/fires?

Dec 2, 2014, 2:43 PM

It seems like just before Clemson hires or promotes a coach, T-Net posts a sunshiny article about the candidate. And practically the only rare instances of T-Net posting articles that are critical of a coach's performance (e.g. Napier & Steele) are just before a coach is fired.

The prime example of this was T-Net posting pro-Bowden/extension/buyout articles, but then few months later, posting (suspiciously) anti-Bowden's articles just before Tommy was fired and paid a $4.5M buyout.

Does the athletic department collaborate with TigerNet to propagandize the fans for these coaching decisions? Or did Nikki decide on her own (without any influence by the AD) to interview Mizzell and write this article?

Isn't it strange that T-Net didn't write an article about Chad leaving before or after? That was HUGE news around the CFB world before and after, but remarkably, TigerNet didn't touch it, except to link an AD press-release afterwards.

Re: Does AD use TNet to propagandize fans for coach hires/fires?

Dec 2, 2014, 2:46 PM

That is interesting, yes. But then again, we shouldn't be all that surprised.

What happened? Did your forum close down? Poor baby.***

Dec 2, 2014, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Does AD use TNet to propagandize fans for coach hires/fires? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does AD use TNet to propagandize fans for coach hires/fires?

Dec 3, 2014, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Does AD use TNet to propagandize fans for coach hires/fires? ]

Agreed. See my post from earlier.

For 3 years they made an article in the summer begging to get fan support for a reserve long snapper who had never played a game. Come to find out after a little research, this reserve player just happened to be the son of a very successful VP at a company based in Greenville. The first article was just about his life and love for Clemson. He didn't get to play. The next two 2 years they made articles adding to his love for Clemson and even turned it into some story about how his jersey number was special because he wore it for a sick child.

Problem is no one bought it. Dabo didn't even buy it. We are trying to be a top tier program, this is not the time for upward football rules, were everyone gets a chance. You want to be on the field, then you work hard like everyone else and earn a spot because a lot of players have touching Sunday morning ESPN stories but its about who is the best man for the position!

Same with coaching. You want to coach then prove it in your work ethic and results. Don't hire TNET to beg for fan support. Which we know someone did...

BTW, Elliot is a good guy but has the running game improved in the last 3 years? NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

Chad Morris spent the off season going to consult with the Nevada HC and OC. Go get one of those guys!

Dec 2, 2014, 3:17 PM

Can someone remind me how many head coaching jobs Dabo had before this one? And how many CU fans wanted the AD to go out hunting for a head coach in a national search. BTW, UVA did a national search and look what they found. I'll be they would swap with us anytime.

Re: Nw Story: What kind of offensive coordinator would Jeff Scott be if promoted?

Dec 2, 2014, 3:23 PM

BREAKING NEWS; Jeff Scott hired as Clemson O.C.!

Jeff Scott is the man for the job

Dec 2, 2014, 3:39 PM

I attended Blythewood High School and Jeff Scott is a great coach. Jeff Scott has put the time and effort into this program and I think its time he gets his chance. Everyone knows that Jeff was in on all the play calling and has studied Chad's offense since Chad was here. If promoted Jeff will run the same if not close to the same offense that we were already running because its brought us so much success and that's what type of offense we have recruited for. Trust in Jeff and let him take the reigns as OC.

well we will find out how he'll do at the end of this month

Dec 2, 2014, 5:52 PM

He has a good edge to the program from living in Morris' back pocket for the several yrs. Im ready to see how well he does. If he picked anything up from Morris i hope he picked up his no huddle offense that we had going last year.

Proof reading wouldn't hurt. Nice article***

Dec 3, 2014, 6:49 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic