Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell

May 12, 2014, 2:39 PM

Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell

Clemson basketball coach Brad Brownell will shortly receive a new contract from Clemson University and Athletic Director Dan Radakovich is working on finalizing plans that would give Brownell and his troops a better place to play. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell

May 12, 2014, 2:42 PM

A bit surprising. They play hard, but the program is not as good as what he inherited. Not sure he has earned a new contract as much as folks just hope he can get it going because they don't know where they would turn next.

What makes you say it is not as good as what he inherited?

May 12, 2014, 2:47 PM

Sure, it was a tourney team when he got here, and he went to the tourney his first season, but the recruiting base for the future did not exist and that is a hole he has been digging us out of.

So while this season may not be better than when he first got here, the program is in better standing for future production than when he got here...

May 12, 2014, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell ]

Wrong!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2014, 3:07 PM

Sorry...I meant wrong the other way...that the program was indeed in better shape with the work that Brad has done. I have every expectation that we are building a firm foundation for the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We all have expectations. That is the reason he is

May 12, 2014, 4:47 PM

getting paid rather handsomely as it is. I want to see more before we hand him the checkbook.

May 12, 2014, 5:40 PM

What exactly do you want to see?

-Recruiting: Clemson has never been a consideration for top-tier talent. It takes several years to build a relationship with recruits. I think this year's recruiting class is a reflection of the type of recruiting job Brownell can do.

-Development: KJ McDaniels is the most obvious, along with Nnoko. Hall and Harrison developed quite nicely through the season, and I don't think it was a coincidence. KJ had a lot of raw talent, and I think Brownell & staff had a lot to do with transforming it into results on the court.

-Coaching: Clemson's highly ranked defense this past season helped them to win or at least stay in games with highly talented & ranked teams. A lot of time talent shows through on the offensive side, while coaching and teamwork shows through more so on the defensive side. If Clemson had more raw offensive talent (e.g. more/better shooters), they could have exploded this past year.

So please, you and other Brownell doubters/skeptics let us know exactly what you want to see before he deserves an extension or raise. And don't just throw out "X place in the ACC" or "Trip to NCAA Tournament" or "Better recruits" without addressing at least some of what is posted above (i.e. address the quality of the job that Brownell has done with the team). Believe me, I'd love to see Clemson get to the NCAA Tournament or land top recruits, but I also understand it's not something that happens overnight.

Re: When I go to grocery store, I am not going to pay the

May 12, 2014, 6:36 PM

same price for a quart of Food Lion house brand ice cream as I would for a
quart of Daagens Hazs.

Re: When I go to grocery store, I am not going to pay the

May 12, 2014, 6:43 PM

Brownell skeptics hate to expound with data or intelligent observations, but ice cream analogies are new.

What is so funny is that we are paying Brownell Food Lion

May 12, 2014, 9:25 PM

pay compared to other comparable basketball coaches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 13, 2014, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: We all have expectations. That is the reason he is ]

Never been in consideration for top tier talent. Milton Jennings, Sharone Wright, Clark Bynum, Michael Brown, Ricky Jones. All Mcd All Americans who came to Clemson, Larry Nance, Grant bros., Tree Rollins, KC Rivers, Trevor Booker all developed at Clemson by various coaches, coaching shows thru both sides. What it shows is that Clemson is one dimensional and if you have great scorers they cant come and beat you.
No Im in the show me what you can do with your recruits and system over time. He/the team was awful the season before. That's on Brownell how they tanked end of season. Hes OK and paid $1.2 mil. No need to raise until he delivers consistent recruits and NCAA teams. No one is beating down our door to take him.

Brownell deserves an extension.***

May 12, 2014, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely agree, the team has gone downhill every single

May 12, 2014, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell ]

season, with the exception of last year. And the man most responsible for that turnaround, KJ, is now gone.

Who coached and recruited KJ?

May 12, 2014, 4:15 PM

look at where KJ started
look at Nnoko and his improvement
take at all of Purnell's recruits and look at their free throw and defensive statistics.

Brownell can flat coach. Can he build program into a national player, I have no idea? But the man can flat out build a player.

You're ready to write off the most recent, relevant show

May 12, 2014, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Completely agree, the team has gone downhill every single ]

of his abilities? That seems silly. He's got a full round of his recruits now, the recruiting has improved the last two years, we're poised to sign our best class shortly.

Meanwhile, we've got a legit big man that he built from a lanky guy who could barely play, we've got some shooters coming in to help this year, and a new facility to help draw the fans and the talent.

You've got to be some kind of downer to be pooping on the program right now. It's heading in the right direction.

Re: I disagree with that. He has recruited some solid

May 12, 2014, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Completely agree, the team has gone downhill every single ]

players into the system. You need to concentrate on what Frances is doing at Usuck.

Re: I agree. We don't need to mortgage the farm in order to

May 12, 2014, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson AD: New contract in the works for Brownell ]

pay him.

Glad to have Brownell around a little longer!***

May 12, 2014, 2:49 PM

Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make

May 12, 2014, 3:47 PM

the big dance with his own players. The team did surpass expectations....however meager those ACC media member's expectations were. I dont think anybody who watches basketball thought that the Tigers would be 14th last season. Most likely most reasonable people thought they'd finish mid-pack and they beat that by a couple of spots. But, remember, This team has gone downhill every year Brownell has been here, except last year. One possible statistical blip, based on KJ's play possibly? Now he's gone, will the team fall back down again? To give him a huge raise and extension based on one good year seems silly and short sighted. If the team fails to make the big dance again next year, people will be calling for his head. But look at the ridiculous Dabo contract, it seems D-Rad is no better or business-saavy than TDP was, and that's setting the bar really low.

Why are you here?

May 12, 2014, 3:48 PM

Coot

To give honest and realistic opinions not just spew

May 12, 2014, 3:49 PM

some orange koolaid drinking drivel.

Re: Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make

May 12, 2014, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make ]

your objectivity is appreciated - kinda like eating spinach

i disagree

May 12, 2014, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make ]

Recruiting has really picked up. Of course BB was gonna "Regress" his first few years - OP didn't recruit for 2 years. So, once Grant and Stitt were gone - we had to start over. Its the reason OP left, and one of the reasons Barnes left back in the day (knew it would be darn near impossible to sustain high level recruiting at CU). Spare me the other details - I know the other stuff behind their departures as well.

We are staring to get "top 100" type recruits in every class. For 15 - we lead or are in the lead group for 6 of those type of kids. OP signed 2 his entire time here, just as a point of reference.

Brownell is the right guy for the job. He needs to get paid before someone else comes along and we have to try to find another Houdini.

Your conclusion: ACC coaches, ACC media, national

May 12, 2014, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make ]

media don't watch basketball. Gotcha, as they were the ones who picked them 14th

Ridiculous. Look at historical Clemson NCAA bids

May 12, 2014, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make ]

They are the exception rather than the norm. He almost had us dancing this year, despite not having a single senior and being picked to finish last in the conference.

Recruiting is improving, and so have the results. And have you not watched how the team played this year? It's like you don't know basketball or something...

You forget that Purnell bolting in the night destroyed

May 13, 2014, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Not a big fan of this decision...he still has failed to make ]

any and all progress he had made with the program. Any regression in Brownell's first couple of years can be tied directly to Purnell's departure IMO.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ ^ ^ coot trolls posing as Tiger fans are not going to like

May 12, 2014, 4:26 PM

this.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

best coach on campus

May 12, 2014, 5:16 PM

lock him up long term!

Re: best coach on campus. What do you mean?***

May 12, 2014, 5:35 PM

Re: best coach on campus. What do you mean?***

May 13, 2014, 4:42 PM

did i stutter?

he is the most knowledgeable, best teacher of details, best developer of talent, and game ready coach we have on campus. (period)

Re:He may very well be but I want to see more before

May 12, 2014, 6:38 PM [ in reply to best coach on campus ]

I turn lose of that big check.

hmmm... I smell leverage...

May 12, 2014, 7:02 PM [ in reply to best coach on campus ]

great job coach. You deserve it.

Hmmm...

May 12, 2014, 5:38 PM

from the Hotseat to a new contract...Strange how that works.

lil' too soon for me.

He was only on the hot-seat of a few TNet armchair ADs***

May 12, 2014, 6:20 PM

May 13, 2014, 8:52 AM

Who's talking about handing him the keys to the kingdom? The reality is, they offered him an extension last year to keep him at least four years out on his contract. Less than that is going to be a death sentence on recruiting and they are due to do it again this year.

I expect that he will probably get a two year extension (to put him on the five year plan instead of the four year plan) and a few $100k more (to put him firmly in the land of head coach $). That seems only fair after a season when they exceeded expectations and you have to do SOMETHING...extend him or fire him, one of the two.

Firing him would clearly be insane after a year where the team in general and several player in particular were clearly making huge strides forward and we have the best recruit in years on the way in. So, give him a reasonable extension, a few more bucks and a pat on the back. He's earned it.

Great move here. It won't be home run territory on salary

May 13, 2014, 9:35 AM

I wouldn't believe, but enough to show that we want him to stick around for a long while.

Folks who don't see how well he's been doing with our program over his tenure seem out of touch. We have a solid, deep, tenacious, and winning program on the rise. Get used to it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never won anything here, but he's the best coach on campus.

May 13, 2014, 11:48 AM

Right?

Like our first NCAA tourney win since the Rick Barnes days?

May 13, 2014, 1:11 PM

Not sure I understand your comment but I would say that Brad fits in very well with a very impressive lineup of young, up and coming coaches that we have leading our revenue sports at this time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic