Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

FB Update: Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses

Feb 18, 2014, 11:24 AM

Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Bowden - wasnt sure which one it was

Feb 18, 2014, 11:27 AM

the idiot one, or the cheating one, or the shady one. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

y'all better watch out, you'll upset the tommy boy lovers...***

Feb 18, 2014, 11:56 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave the foot in football***

Feb 18, 2014, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Bowden - wasnt sure which one it was ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who?***

Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM

null

Re: Who?

Feb 18, 2014, 11:29 AM

the idiot one. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed

Feb 18, 2014, 11:36 AM

So he thinks automatically getting the xp so they can squeeze in another commercial is more exciting than actually kicking the xp.

If Clemson could choose

Feb 18, 2014, 11:31 AM

Another Bowden , I would hope they wouldn't .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.....fitting.***

Feb 18, 2014, 11:47 AM

Not particularly dumb, just different and new

Feb 18, 2014, 12:16 PM

I don't really feel like they need to change the rules, as I typically don't see the need for big changes to rules in sports. However, the extra point has pretty much become a formality. It's a wasted play, evidenced by the fact that your average woman who knows just a little bit about football tends to think that TDs are already worth 7 points.

In fact, if they did adopt the rule Bowden is talking about, the extra point would at least become a lot more exciting and consequential.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For Bowden .......

Feb 18, 2014, 12:36 PM

There should be a rule that says that a coach can't take out a running back in the last minute, in a close game,against the in state rival when the back is gaining 10 yards a carry and replace him with another back who has sucked all day! If said coach were smart enough to not do that ... he may still have a job..

How would it become more exciting?

Feb 18, 2014, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Not particularly dumb, just different and new ]

From a coaching/strategy standpoint it is exactly the same as the current rule.

I'm going to chalk this one up to Bowden successfully trolling our 100% tigerpulsers.

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2014, 11:23 PM

Everyone that's making a big deal out of this needs to understand that it's not much of a change. I don't think it's a good idea because a missed extra point can add a ton of different possibilities to a game and adds excitement. But teams already have the same opportunity to go for 2 and get 8 points. If they miss it they get 6 now, just like in his plan.

It seems like it wouldn't make any sense for a coach to go for 2 under this proposed plan unless it was a situation where he would go for 2 now. Teams with a bad kicker or an injured kicker would just take the automatic 7 instead of risking going for 2.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If coaches think extra points are made too frequently

Feb 18, 2014, 12:05 PM

The defensive coaches need to coach their players better to stop it ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Or just create some silly rule that allows the defenders a

Feb 18, 2014, 5:36 PM

a head start before the snap. That would certainly reduce the percentage of extra points made.

That makes about as much sense as forcing an offense to slow down, so the defensive staff can have more time to make decisions. Oh wait, I mean to be safer.

Oh and by the way, an offense can't prevent a defense from substituting. Just in case you forgot.

Re: FB Update: Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses

Feb 18, 2014, 12:06 PM

How about if you decide to run for an extra point, you will have 8 points if you make it. But if you try and don't make it, you lose a point and end up with only 6. That would make going for the extra point something to think about before trying it. That would bring more excitement at the risk of gaining or losing points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2014, 12:13 PM

Isn't that exactly what Tommy suggested?

This removes the chance of not going for it and keeping 7***

Feb 18, 2014, 12:14 PM

Clemson

Feb 18, 2014, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses ]

OOOOOOPS, I guess my reading comprehension failed me miserably.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty cool blog...

Feb 18, 2014, 12:12 PM

and I like the fact that all his pictures are still from Clemson. Clearly Tommy got Clemson in his blood, and I find it hard not to like him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2014, 12:17 PM

OR..here's an option..why don't we leave it alone and stop trying to change the rules every year. The last few years I've heard how great and awesome the sec's defenses are..now teams are running fast paced offenses and these same defenses can't stop them...so they want to do away with the fast pace? Why don't they stop tackling and play flag football.

If the kick XP is no longer relevant, it is due to its

Feb 18, 2014, 12:27 PM

distance. Make the LOS for a kicking an XP the 25. That makes it a 42 yd attempt and more worthy of 1 pt. Keep the LOS for "going for 2" the 2 yard line.

Keep the change simple.

That actually seems more complicated***

Feb 18, 2014, 12:28 PM

More complicated than changing the whole scoring system?

Feb 18, 2014, 12:34 PM

Actually seemed pretty simple to me since the only change is the LOS when opt to kick.

Absolutely... the rules change depending on your choice

Feb 18, 2014, 12:49 PM

And would you then have to prohibit teams from faking it to go for two? If you're going to change the extra- point rule (which they're probably not going to do any time soon), then just make it uniform.

I don't think anyone would fake from the 25 instead of being

Feb 18, 2014, 1:21 PM

straight up from the 2. But sure, make it an illegal procedure loss of down to fake on the extra point.

Re: If the kick XP is no longer relevant, it is due to its

Feb 18, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to If the kick XP is no longer relevant, it is due to its ]

I might make it the 20 yard line, would make it a 37 yard extra point, something most teams could make if needed but hard enough that crappy kickers would actually miss some.

I would also keep the 2 point try at the 2 yard line to encourage more 2 point conversions, which would make the game more exciting.

Re: If the kick XP is no longer relevant, it is due to its

Feb 18, 2014, 12:59 PM [ in reply to If the kick XP is no longer relevant, it is due to its ]

Bravo. Bravo.

I second this option and the one below - perhaps the 20 yd line. For that matter, make the LOS for extra points the 20 yd line for both kicks and 2 pt conversions.

But really chaning the XP has nothing to do with D's not liking HUNH offenses.

I agree more with the choice to NOT CHANGE a darn thing. Let the Sabans and the Whiners about HUNH go cry in the corner. The times they are a changin' so let the Lil Genius adapt or get out of the way.

Agree, my preference is to do nothing. It is not broken.

Feb 18, 2014, 1:27 PM

But if it must change, minimize the collateral impact. Not this lose and point, get a point stuff.

TV would love it though since they would shave more time off the game length since I suspect most teams would opt to keep the 7 and skip the XP.

Feb 18, 2014, 12:37 PM

WHY CHANGE AT ALL ??????????????? Just Play Football,as we all know & understand???

^^^This.***

Feb 18, 2014, 12:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

You said exactly what I was thinking***

Feb 18, 2014, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Why change at all?????

Feb 18, 2014, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Bowden proposes changes to XPs instead of hurry up offenses ]

These ACC refs in________,_________,_________,________,
___________,___________,...etc(fill in the blanks with the sport)
Don't know the rules or how to apply them now.

You want all of them "Givin' us da Bidnezz???"

That is all.

Greater chance of injury during a 2 point conversion vs expt***

Feb 18, 2014, 12:58 PM

the math remains the same-- there would be no more 2 point

Feb 18, 2014, 4:00 PM

conversions(1pt in this case)plays run that there are today. Other than speeding up a game or a team hoping to block an extra point or needing a miss--- it doesn't change a thing

*L* So what does defensive substitutions have to do w/ XP's?

Feb 18, 2014, 1:04 PM

Meh.

STOP CHANGING STUFF!!!!

Feb 18, 2014, 1:13 PM

At this rate, football ill be turned into something totally unrecognizable.

The rate of change in football is growing? We fans must stop it before our game is gone.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the dumbest thing ive seen in a while. Why do that

Feb 18, 2014, 1:33 PM

when teams can do exactly that and have a chance to score 8 by electing not to kick the extra point. The only thing that would happen with that rule is once the team scores they're done, no ones gonna attempt to score more points it's pretty much just a 2 point conversion today and to me that would honestly take some excitement out of the game because there's always kickers missing and getting extra points blocked. Come on tommy you can think of much better than that.

Extra points are the dumbest part of the game!

Feb 18, 2014, 1:36 PM

The entire series, we have MEN playing the game. Physically tough MEN.... then, some pencil nosed brainy geek comes in and determines whether you win or lose. DUMBEST play in all of college football!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

The game = FOOTball

Feb 18, 2014, 1:45 PM

The kicking game is integral to the entire sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to change the rule

Feb 18, 2014, 1:42 PM

Though if you are going to change it, I'd make the change give MORE weight to the kicking game, and it would be more radical a change. Note, I know this changes the game balance and mechanics because it now makes 9pts a 1 score game. It's not going to happen, and I don't much think I want it to happen, but it would be interesting.

4 options after a TD:
1) Kick from the 2 - Kick the XP - 1pt
2) Play from the 2 - Score a "TD" - 2pts
3) Kick from the 35 - Kick the XP - 2pts
4) Play from the 35 - Score a "TD" - 3pts

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Complicated ... but interesting! Would certainly lessen the

Feb 18, 2014, 1:53 PM

chance of overtime ... which would be a great thing IMHO.

There are other changes to be seriously considered.

Feb 18, 2014, 1:51 PM

Theoretically, the farther away from the goal you are the harder it is to score. Touchdowns should be worth various points depending on yardage.

1-10 yards = 6 points
11-25 yards = 7 points
26-50 yards = 8 points
51-75 yards = 9 points
76-99 yards = 10 points
99 + yards = 11 points

This would make the game more fun for fans and get the students back to the games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

"Theoretically" is right ... I actually think we score

Feb 18, 2014, 1:55 PM

more easily from 10+ yards out than from the 2 yard line. ;)

Re: "Theoretically" is right ... I actually think we score

Feb 18, 2014, 1:57 PM

Should have added this... ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

WT-F?

Feb 18, 2014, 3:50 PM

Not sure how this applies to allowing the defense to substitute. Interesting proposal, but I don't see that passing. A team that needs to run a play to get that extra point to tie it up runs the risk of putting themselves 2 points into the hole instead of 1.

Better solution on XP

Feb 18, 2014, 5:04 PM

If there is an issue with XPs being too automatic, then move them back 10,20, 30 yards to get to a point where the odds of making them are what you want. For example, make a 1-pt XP be from the 35 yard line. That might make more coaches willing to try for 2. What are the odds on making a 2-pt conversion as it stands versus the odds of making a 1-pt FG from the 30, which would be a 47-yd kick?

Re: Better solution on XP

Feb 18, 2014, 5:16 PM

Here are the NCAA records on 1 and 2-pt conversions.

2 points success
2007: 42.1%
2008: 37.0%
2009: 40.6%
2010: 40.0%
2011: 43.5%

1 point success
2007: 96.4%
2008: 96.4%
2009: 95.8%
2010: 96.4%
2011: 96.2%

Read more: http://www.aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/24784/facts-point-conversion-success-rates?page=1#ixzz2tiKYUzMN

Someone could find the point at which the success rate is about 50% as a starting point.

cray craaaaaay!***

Feb 18, 2014, 6:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic