Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: AJC: Is Clemson’s Boyd best QB in ACC history?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: AJC: Is Clemson’s Boyd best QB in ACC history?

Nov 20, 2013, 9:30 AM

AJC: Is Clemson’s Boyd best QB in ACC history?

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's hard to say in some ways as IMO it comes down.......

Nov 20, 2013, 9:36 AM

to "most successful" vs. "strongest statistics."

Some would say Fuller was because of where he took the program from and to during his career. Some will always think Woody Dantzler was. Some will say Homer Jordan was because he took us to the national title.

IMO TB is because of his success rate and statistics. It's hard to argue with what he's done.

This article is talking about the best QB in ACC history.

Nov 20, 2013, 10:26 AM

Not just Clemson history. And I think he is certainly among the best ever to play in the ACC. It's hard to argue with his accomplishments, on and off the field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That's such a difficult assessment to make....

Nov 20, 2013, 9:43 AM

different eras, different offenses, different coaches, and different supporting casts.

That said, he is definitely among the best IMO and that's pretty dang good company.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Look at how many starting ACC QBs in the NFL this year.

Nov 20, 2013, 10:46 AM

Tajh is in an elite group as a elite QB. Sometimes I wonder if he will be a franchise type QB. Then he goes out and just proves it on the field. I think he makes all the throws and is mobile and will learn how to slide in the pocket and give himself a tick longer to make throws. I can see him having a long career in the NFL if he stays healthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a quick review..

Nov 20, 2013, 5:10 PM [ in reply to That's such a difficult assessment to make.... ]

Tajh is definitely in the top 5. I know Miami had some
great QBs back in the 80s. Then theres Rivers at NC St.
Other than that, Boyd is right there.

Matt Ryan was a pretty good one, too***

Nov 20, 2013, 7:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With an elite OL in front of him, Tajh would be unstoppable

Nov 20, 2013, 12:18 PM

He has been unreal the past two years, even when his protection has been "iffy" ... and his biggest problem IMHO is that he tends to give in to the pressure a bit too quickly and he's not at his best throwing on the run.

He makes some of his poorer decisions when his protection starts to crumble.

If he had the OL that Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke enjoyed, Tajh would have won the Heisman and Clemson would be in the BCS title game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This, a million times. With our OL, I'm just impressed he

Nov 20, 2013, 12:47 PM

made it through his Clemson career with minimal serious injuries. IMO a lot of the things Tajh is criticized for stem from the poor protection he's had.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. I love Tajh, but no. His worst moments are too

Nov 20, 2013, 12:21 PM

often and too bad to consider him the best ever. He's an awesome QB and one of the best in ACC history, but not the best.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have been waiting for the "Not until he beats U$uC"....

Nov 20, 2013, 1:05 PM

crowd to come out. So glad that MAYBE some sanity is being passed out around TNET.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's insane to refuse to acknowledge beating SCU matters.***

Nov 20, 2013, 1:15 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It matters to people that are insanely obsessed...

Nov 20, 2013, 1:20 PM

with U$uC, not to whether he has had the best stats in the ACC.

It matters to Clemson fans.

Nov 20, 2013, 1:27 PM

I'd rather he beat South Carolina next Saturday than win some meaningless, subjective argument about whether he's better than people who played a completely different brand of football.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe that's it....

Nov 20, 2013, 1:34 PM

I'm not really a Clemson fan because it doesn't bother me to the point of obsession that despite U$uC having its best years in history where they have managed to beat us, we are playing unbelievably well.

Yes, my tendency to focus on mutliple 10+ win seasons, relatively shortly after wholesale changes in coaching staff and strategy is probably due to my lack of "fandom".

That coupled with my 2 degrees, and having sent my daughter through for her degree probably lowers my fan stature as well.

Give me a break. Most of the people who are so obsessed with U$uC are fan's beacuse they like the "cool Tiger Paw".

There's nothing wrong with your fanhood, but ...

Nov 21, 2013, 9:17 PM

... make no mistake, beating SCAR is incredibly important to most Clemson fans. Especially to those who live in the state and have to endure the consequences of losing to them. If you can live in Greenville and ignore them, then you have thicker skin than most.

The vast majority of us are very happy with the results of the past couple of seasons and feel good about where Clemson football is headed, but needing to be on the winning side of the in-state rivalry is definitely not limited to casual fans who "think the Tiger Paw is a cool logo" ... not by long shot.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's insane to believe that beating SCU is ALL that matters.***

Nov 20, 2013, 5:22 PM [ in reply to It's insane to refuse to acknowledge beating SCU matters.*** ]

Can Sammy be considered the best WR in CU history if

Nov 20, 2013, 1:18 PM

we lose a 5th straight (not that it's gonna happen!)?

OK, I take it back....

Nov 20, 2013, 1:21 PM

still insanity in here. :)

Guilty as charged.. but I was being facetious***

Nov 20, 2013, 1:22 PM

Fair or not, QBs will always be saddled with the W-L record.

Nov 20, 2013, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Can Sammy be considered the best WR in CU history if ]

It cuts both ways.

Yes....

Nov 20, 2013, 1:35 PM

and that is a statistic where he fairs very well "on the whole of it", not just one opponent.

1st CU QB with back-to-back-to-back 10-win regular seasons***

Nov 20, 2013, 1:38 PM

Does it matter?

Nov 21, 2013, 7:05 AM

For many years freshman couldn't play varsity, so those qb's had only 3 years. Tajh is an excellent qb and a fine gentleman to represent the conferenece and Clemson but statistics are for loosers. Let the debate begin but remember it's a team sport so OL and receivers play a pretty big role. What about running and making big plays when needed, even in short yardage situations? All-time I'd take Roman Gabriel in his prime with all things equal but you couldn't go wrong picking Boyd either.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic