Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh

Sep 20, 2013, 10:49 AM

Final thoughts from Raleigh

Final thoughts from Clemson's 26-14 win over NC State. Was the win ugly or a thing of beauty? What did Dabo said about Isaiah Battle's punch? Why did Bradley Pinion's kickoffs seems shorter? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh

Sep 20, 2013, 10:55 AM

Talk about ugly( because it sure was not a thing of beauty)!
On the road to Bama,or Oregon,they would bury us beneath their field,and like Jimmy Hoffa,would probably never resurface.

Sep 20, 2013, 10:59 AM

States last drive was nice but it took about six minutes off the clock and they didn't have that kind of time to waste. Good job D!

agree- cost them any chance of making a comeback

Sep 20, 2013, 11:27 AM

yes - I wish we would have stopped them on one but keeping them in front of us was much more important for the D at that point.

Sep 20, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh ]

Venables was furious about that drive, noting that again our D failed to close down a game. But apparently, you are more knowledgeable than he is. Four successful 4th down attempts for first sown???

Tell 'em coot Which dgcannon handle are you this week ?

Sep 20, 2013, 12:42 PM

sad

Sep 20, 2013, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh ]

Definitely. do this against Maryland or S. Carolina, and you end up with an L. "Rusty?" I understood that our practices (during the ample time we had) were going to be really rigorous following the underwhelming performance against S.C. State; that those miscues were going to be corrected. Whatever occurred, it didn't work. As for grading, I'd be hard pressed to give our OL more than a D-. They were thoroughly whipped, and it is discouraging to think that Timothy Giff is actually a starter. Lucky for us that State had those 2 long TD runs called back. And let's face the fact that N.C. State is a fair team at best. Hopefully this experience wil bring everone back down to earth. I'm reminded of all the posters on this thread who were complaining that we were only rated a 14 point favorite; welcome to the real world. This type of performance will beat very few of the teams remaining on our schedule. Okay "thought police," blaze away.

POSer.***

Sep 20, 2013, 11:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: POSer.***

Sep 20, 2013, 12:16 PM

No intelligent response, just more name-calling. Brilliant.

were we hitting on all cylinders ? no. did we come out with

Sep 20, 2013, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh ]

the "w" heck yes. the o-line struggled early, and settled down. and who the hades are you to say what the nc state team is ? no. i'm not a "thought police" whatever the he** that is, but your post is about stupid, what did state have, 2 sacks,and we had,what, almost 200 yards rushing, 250+ or so passing ( without looking it up, i am guessing we were around 450-475 total yards)? yeah, i'll take that for our 1st road game, against a division foe, one who historically gives us trouble,on a thursday night,which we were 2-9 all-time!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell me, did Venables get your rightie?***

Sep 20, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell us your Clemson - LSU prediction again

Sep 20, 2013, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Final thoughts from Raleigh ]

LOL

Most top 5 will struggle like this on the road. "W"***

Sep 20, 2013, 11:00 AM

And some will struggle like this at home.

Sep 20, 2013, 12:47 PM

USuC 35, Vandy 25

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 20, 2013, 11:13 AM

When it is said and done...it was a win..and at the end of the season...no one will care how you got it...it will still be in the win column. (3-0)

Not very often a team has more 4th down conversions than 3rd

Sep 20, 2013, 11:19 AM

Wacky stat of the week, to be sure.

Very few teams put their opponents in a do or die situation

Sep 20, 2013, 11:24 AM

that many times on a single drive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2013, 11:38 AM

in your final article vs ncstate, you fail to mention the 2 td's that ncstate had called back. the secondary looked shabby, don't they always. there was no underneath coverage?? where are the lb's?? the defensive effort was great--up front only. it was not a complete defensive effort. also, ncstate did not play well--they made many mistakes.

Sep 20, 2013, 11:47 AM

Sad to say, but absolutely true.

Why don't you two get a room?***

Sep 20, 2013, 11:52 AM

Re: Why don't you two get a room?***

Sep 20, 2013, 12:18 PM

Dude, you never have anything productive to say at all. You make sophomoric jabs at anybody that is actually trying to make a point, but you don't really say anything at all. You contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation, but expect everybody to respect what you have to say? Something you should have learned by now, no matter what age you are: you don't make yourself look bigger by trying to tear down everyone else. My 4-year-old understands that. Why don't you? You're like Grumpy Smurf, if he was a sad, whiny, wannabe contrarian killjoy that hides behind internet anonymity because he doesn't have the stones to stand in front of the person he tries to insult with pitiful little quips he learned while watching reruns of The War at Home all by himself on a Friday night stuffing pizza rolls into his face and using the tears from the pain of his scorched and blistered mouth to lube up his attempts to ########## his Christmas-tree-light-sized peni5 (the LED kind, not the old-school kind). As Socrates said, "A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A foolish man speaks, hoping to say something." Think about where you fall. That is all.

That being said, a W is a W. I'll take it any day.

My,my. Did somebody take your stardust?***

Sep 22, 2013, 9:25 PM

Re: Why don't you two get a room?***

Sep 20, 2013, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Why don't you two get a room?*** ]

Because we aren't of your apparent "persuasion" in that area. But, whatever floats your boat.

Sep 20, 2013, 11:43 AM

in your final article vs ncstate, you fail to mention the 2 td's that ncstate had called back. the secondary looked shabby, don't they always. there was no underneath coverage?? where are the lb's?? the defensive effort was great--up front only. it was not a complete defensive effort. also, ncstate did not play well--they made many mistakes.

Fascinated by the amount of b****ing after a 12-point win

Sep 20, 2013, 12:33 PM

on the road on a Thursday night in a venue known to give us (and other good teams) fits against a team for which we had little useful intelligence.

Ugly? No doubt? Imperfect? Certainly. Lots of stuff to work on? You better believe it. But at the end of the day we played poorly and were still 2 tds better than a team that may win 8 or 9 ball games this season...

Yeah, I wish we'd executed perfectly, but we didn't and we still won. Winning when things ain't coming easy is just as important - maybe more important - than winning when everything is humming along on cruise control.

Re: Fascinated by the amount of b****ing after a 12-point win

Sep 21, 2013, 1:48 PM

> on the road on a Thursday night in a venue known to
> give us (and other good teams) fits against a team
> for which we had little useful intelligence.
>
> Ugly? No doubt? Imperfect? Certainly. Lots of stuff
> to work on? You better believe it. But at the end
> of the day we played poorly and were still 2 tds
> better than a team that may win 8 or 9 ball games
> this season...
>
> Yeah, I wish we'd executed perfectly, but we didn't
> and we still won. Winning when things ain't coming
> easy is just as important - maybe more important -
> than winning when everything is humming along on
> cruise control.

We did a lot better than tow years ago and better than F$U did last year. A win is a win!

Contrite?

Sep 20, 2013, 12:09 PM

He did not look contrite on the sidelines. Embarrassed us in every sports publication in the country. Mr Butler better grow up fast.

Re: Contrite?

Sep 20, 2013, 12:50 PM

Who is Mr Butler?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Contrite?

Sep 20, 2013, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Contrite? ]

Battle, not Butler.

CU didn't look like #3 & nor Boyd Heismanesque. But it's a W

Sep 20, 2013, 12:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see another team (like OSU) jump us in the rankings. Neither on O or on D did Clemson look the part of the #3 team in the country on national TV against a pretty crappy NCSU teams that struggled past Richmond on a last-minute field goal. The OL often got manhandled. Clemson's D was very fortunate that TWO long sideline runs that were called back for questionably stepping out of bounds, and one of NCSU's receivers dropped a TD pass in the end-zone that landed right on his numbers. Scary to think what would have happened if those had resulted in 3 TDs. But that's football.

Boyd had 3TD passes but his accuracy on several throws was way off and so I think his Heisman stock dropped.

But it was a win in a hostile environment, and the score doesn't tell the whole tale since (like in the UGA game) being up by a couple scores in the 4th quarter, Clemson's O went into predictable, run, run, run clock-burning mode and Clemson's D went into clock-burning "prevent" mode essentially trading yards and points for clock to preserve the win.

If Clemson plays like that against FSU, SCar, or maybe even UMD & GT, Clemson will likely not get Ws. Hopefully that's the worst we'll see the Tigers play all season.

Let's hold off on calling NC State crappy

Sep 20, 2013, 2:01 PM

Yeah, they've struggled early this season under a new coach, but they've got some decent talent and I expect them to continue to improve over the course of the season and ultimately be a bowl team - looking at their schedule, 8 or 9 wins could be well within reach for them...

Still, we should have pounded them. But I'll take the win, especially if they end up 9-3 and ranked around 25-30 at the end of the season...

Furthermore, championships and Heisman trophies are not won in September, but they sure can be lost. We've done nothing to jeopardize either thus far...

Let's not forget that NC State was 2-0 coming into that game

Sep 20, 2013, 6:21 PM [ in reply to CU didn't look like #3 & nor Boyd Heismanesque. But it's a W ]

despite the lackluster performance against Richmond (which I have not watched so don't hold me to this, but have been told they didn't show a whole lot on offense in order to not give much away to us). But that being said, I still believe that NC State can end up being a pretty good team this year with a solid defense (better than UGAs) and an offense that is going to give some other teams in the ACC some fits.

Also agree with you that we did not look like the no. 3 team in the country - but with this weeks very lousy slate of games I really don't know that anyone will jump us (except maybe Stanford if they beat Arizona State).

Re: Let's not forget that NC State was 2-0 coming into that game

Sep 20, 2013, 6:42 PM

also remember that NCSU started a L/T that had never played one snap @ T before last night, they lost their best D/L early in the game and their best D/b in the 3Rd Qtr. and they still made us look that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blame it on the "break"? What about the 7 months before UGA?

Sep 20, 2013, 2:10 PM

It's worth mentioning that the 1st team offense never impressed against SCSU either.

Everyone on the schedule has their Clemson game circled.

On the plus side, when you're ranked #3 in week 4, you don't need big win style points to advance.

Re: Blame it on the "break"? What about the 7 months before UGA?

Sep 20, 2013, 2:19 PM

Well I didn't think we were all that great in the UGA game either. There was rust for sure. And I don't think UGA was at their best. So I'm glad we got the win but all 3 Wins have not been ideal but thankfully they have been wins :)

Excellent point!***

Sep 21, 2013, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Blame it on the "break"? What about the 7 months before UGA? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Thing of beauty" my ###! lol C'on Hood...be real!***

Sep 20, 2013, 2:49 PM

I feel like a tarhole of old today.

Sep 20, 2013, 3:43 PM

The good news, besides the win, is that our team is now apparently seen as being in the elite status that gets the breaks on calls. Just like the tarholes did back in their ACC hoops glory days.

NCSU got hosed on the out of bounds call. Not only that call, but most of the calls went in our favor. It makes me feel like we needed help to win.

If State went ahead 14-12 and Tajh comes back on and keeps forcing it while State plays with emotion, who knows how that game ends?

Best thing to do is move on and execute better again Wake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he was out. clearly. his cleat was on the line***

Sep 21, 2013, 2:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he was out. clearly. his cleat was on the line***

Sep 22, 2013, 8:57 PM

Some never will believe that. In the stadium, the replay only showed the parts where the foot was inside the lines. Some on here say they clearly could see the edge of the foot on the line, or just over it. I don't know. I am sure that, from the ref's vantage point, the foot looked out. Ref's don't intentionally hose one team or the other, but it does happen in some cases, unintentionally. We have been the victim of it, and we have been the recipient of it, too, I'm sure. Clemson had the best team that night, and I doubt NCSU would have gained enough momentum to win. We played poorly, but we answered the bell in each game as was needed to win. Even against the ugay and LSU of the mighty sec, and I have little doubt we would not have done what was necessary to beat NCSU. Some on here maybe think the call is the only reason we won. If that is what makes them happy, then, so be it. We are a better team, and the better teams usually do win.

If they can complain about stepping out, how about the......

Sep 20, 2013, 4:50 PM

HOLDING CALLS on that last drive where they converted the 4th downs? Must have been 10 BLATANT holding calls on that drive alone. Call one of them, and they don't score there. D line was living in their backfield even with all the holding, it just slowed them down enough on those 4th down passes to convert.

Sep 20, 2013, 5:08 PM

The defense has improved almost every game since Venables arrived. The front seven has more toughness than I have seen in quite some time. The secondary is still an issue but with a consistent pass rush, it will offset some mistakes.

The offense has not been great by the Boyd/Morris era standards, but by 2013 college football standards, it's still very good. Boyd hasn't been perfect, but he has a knack for making all the right decisions and coming up with big plays.

While I do appreciate that my fellow Clemson alumni and fans have very high expectations, some commenters strike me as having a sense of entitlement to greatness. Don't let your orange blooded passion cloud your perspective. Remember where we were just two years ago; our D couldn't stop Wofford.

The NC State game wasn't a blow out like we all hoped but it was a good win. This is a really good team and barring injury, it will only get better. Cheer up pessimists -- we're in good shape.

Sep 21, 2013, 1:06 PM

To me this game demonstrates the culture change at Clemson. 2 years ago we would have lost this game, like our 1st loss of 2011. Good teams find ways to win when they don't play well. You can't expect 18-22 year old kids to play like pros every week. We may or may not be a championship caliber team this year, time will tell. But every championship team does struggle at some point, just look at Alabama last year, less than blowout wins against WKU, FAU and Ole Miss. But it sure is going to fun sitting in the stands this year while we find how good we are.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic