Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Tigers need an October to remember
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Tigers need an October to remember

Jul 11, 2013, 12:33 AM

Tigers need an October to remember

A five-game stretch that begins in early October and ends the first week of November just might tell the tale for the Clemson Tigers this season - and it all begins with a trip to new ACC foe Syracuse. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My only worry, RB. I am confident with our personnel

Jul 11, 2013, 3:26 AM

at pretty much every other position. Running Back worries me though. I know we have some talented youngsters at the position, but no one who has really proven themselves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My only worry, RB. I am confident with our personnel

Jul 11, 2013, 7:30 AM

So I can understand having some concern at RB but more than at DB?

We have had some excellent years at RB recently, that aren't going to keep going forever but we have some guys with some carries that can get the job done.

Not to say that I wouldn't take Ellington or Spiller back in a heartbeat, but I never thought to myself, "oh no! Not that guy!" when Hot Rod or DJ came out...and they have some real talent behind them (..and enough beef that 4th and goal may finally stop being a passing situation).

RB is not such a concern in my opinion

Jul 11, 2013, 12:59 PM [ in reply to My only worry, RB. I am confident with our personnel ]

between Hot Rod, DJ, Brooks, and which ever one of the incoming freshmen studs doesnt redshirt, we'll be fine there. We have good horses there to ride. My worry is WR and TE. Nuk was probably the best WR in the country last year. I expect Sammy to step it up and fill his shoes, but then who fills Sammy's shoes?? Who fills Jaron Brown's shoes?? Bryant and Peake have not been consistent at all. They make one great play then about three boneheaded plays. Jaron Brown singlehandedly saved our offense on third down at least a dozen times last year. Who fills Brandon Ford's shoes? He was a major weapon last year. Cooper was supposed to, but he's lost for the year. Are we really expecting a true freshman (Legget) to be the main guy at TE?? I doubt that. Who replaces Freeman?? While he sucked at run blocking, he was a 4 yr starter and the only guy Tajh knows at C. He also handled all line blocking calls. That's a ton of experience to lose. Almost like having a position coach playing on the field. I think he'll be missed a lot more than most people feel.

I just dont see any way that our offense is as good as last year considering all the losses unless Tajh plays out of his mind crazy good all year. I do expect our defense to be marginally improved, even though we lost a crapload of experience in Hall, Meeks, Brewer, Willard, Hawkins, and Goodman. Those guys played a ton of snaps in their time at Clemson. Tough to lose that much experience all at once. We still have the same group of underperforming LB's as last year only now Anthony is just been giftwrapped a starters job that he lost last year when Shuey beat him out. Shuey has been moved to WLB which I dont think he's physically capable of playing. He's a good MLB because he knows his keys and can go north/south. I dont think he can play on the outside laterally. I was hoping Kellen Jones would step in and take that job from all the excellent scouting team reports I read on him. And QC, he's an enigma. He should be an all american. He's got the perfect physical tools for SLB, but never really puts it together on the field. Hard to figure out. Each year I keep rooting for him to have his breakout year and become the stud that I think he can be. I'm pretty worried about Vic being a starter at DE opposite Crawford. Vic is a one trick pony, hes and excellent pass rusher. But playing him every down plays into the other team's favor. Run at him on first and second, fatigue him and negate his pass rush on third down. I hope one of the incoming DE's can prove to be the first/second down DE and let Vic be the monster on third down that he can be. And in the secondary, Mike Reed has his hands full there. Breeland is the only proven commodity we have back there. Only bright spot is, it cannot be any worse than last year's secondary. Worst I've seen in my 40 yrs at Clemson.

Re: RB is not such a concern in my opinion

Jul 11, 2013, 9:33 PM

Zac Brooks is a factor at running back?? Are you kidding? Still playing at 185. DJ Howard still runs
straight up, and has virtually no lateral moves. McDowell would not be included on anyone's list as
top 20 running back---and we don't have a problem at
RB??? Really??

Re: RB is not such a concern in my opinion

Jul 11, 2013, 9:40 PM [ in reply to RB is not such a concern in my opinion ]

I agree. Our offense won't be nearly as good as last year. The front seven will be better, but I fear our secondary will be terrible. If we get blown out by UGA,
I think the season will spiral down from there. Hope I'm wrong.

Re: My only worry, RB. I am confident with our personnel

Jul 11, 2013, 9:25 PM [ in reply to My only worry, RB. I am confident with our personnel ]

I agree that we have a huge question mark at RB. A second question mark is the defensive secondary. And, who is he kidding, the opening game against UGA is huge. If we get blown out by them, it will taint the
entire season. If we want to play big-time football, then we have to beat big-time teams. Looking past this game is ludicrous. We lose this game, then we probably lose to South Carolina. And losing to Virginia or Maryland would be simply pathetic. We want to be considered seriously, then beat UGA. Otherwise, it's all talk.

Did Sims return to the UVA football team? I need to

Jul 11, 2013, 7:19 AM

Caught up.

Re: Did Sims return to the UVA football team? I need to

Jul 11, 2013, 7:30 AM

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/053113aaa.html

Phillip Sims No Longer on UVa Football Roster
UVa Quarterback Started Four Games in 2012

May 31, 2013

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Virginia football coach Mike London announced today that quarterback Phillip Sims is ineligible and will no longer be enrolled at the University after completion of his current summer school session. A native of Chesapeake, Va., Sims completed his sophomore season in 2012 after transferring from Alabama last summer.

Last year, Sims played in all 12 games and started four times. He completed 132 of 231 passes for 1,426 yards and nine touchdowns. He started against Duke, Maryland, Wake Forest and NC State

"The thing we tell the young men who come to the University of Virginia to receive a world-class education and play for our football program is pretty simple," said Virginia coach Mike London. "Go to class. Show class and treat people with dignity and respect. Those directions are pretty easy to follow and they will lead you on a path of success.

"When an individual strays from those directions, it is very disappointing to me. Phillip Sims did not make the commitment he needed to succeed here. I appreciate his efforts last season. He is a very talented young man who is blessed with some extraordinary athletic abilities. I still believe Phillip Sims can and will be a successful person. We will do what we can to assist Phillip in continuing his academic and athletic opportunities elsewhere.

"The young men who remain with this football program are committed and have done a great job in the classroom, in the weight room and on the practice fields. Our team spring semester grade point average is the highest it has been in the past 10 years and we understand that for us to be successful on Saturdays in the fall, it will require that everyone involved in the program do what is necessary each and every day to prepare to win."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers need an October to remember

Jul 11, 2013, 10:19 AM

Former Cuse resident here. Syracuse game will be loud and louder. They lost a lot. Way too much Tiger speed and talent, Taj is a difference maker, Sammy will go crazy Tigers win by a wide margin!!!

Jul 11, 2013, 10:46 AM

The Terps have been a pain the last few years. How we are only 6-6 against them the last 12 years is hard to understand. They had a terrible time last year with their quarterback situation and their new coach is only starting to put it back together. Should be a decisive win for the Tigers.

Jul 11, 2013, 9:52 PM

Should be a win. But we've found a way to lose to inferior Maryland teams repeatedly. Not a great commentary on our program. In the past several years,
it seems to have a lack of physical toughness and the lack of even an average defense.

To be perfectly honest, I want a November to remember.***

Jul 11, 2013, 1:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Let's just have a football season to remember.******

Jul 11, 2013, 1:25 PM

null

Re: To be perfectly honest, I want a November to remember.***

Jul 11, 2013, 9:54 PM [ in reply to To be perfectly honest, I want a November to remember.*** ]

If we get stomped by UGA, you'll probably have that, but not in the way you imagine.

Thanks, coot.***

Jul 12, 2013, 12:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

let's get thru august first***

Jul 11, 2013, 3:23 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: let's get thru august first***

Jul 11, 2013, 9:55 PM

Amen.

Really - Syracuse, MD, BC, VA

Jul 11, 2013, 5:33 PM

Couldn't disagree more Nikki. If we're worried about those games, we are a lot farther behind than I feel we are.
FSU - sure; GT - of course but BC with ole Chase or the Carrier Dome???? While you can't just show up and expect to win, these should NOT be games we worry about (yes, you can always get beat but that is not the point).

UGA is huge, FSU is prodigious, Dirt ###### U is The SEASON! Lose the last game and the season is just "good" even if we win the rest. And please, don't give me the same old crap about just how good they are now..... FIVE in a row is totally and unquestionably unacceptable - period.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really - Syracuse, MD, BC, VA

Jul 11, 2013, 9:59 PM

I agree. Losing to So. Car. puts a cloud over the entire season, regardless of how we do against the weak sisters in the ACC. Denying that is fantasy.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic