Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Update: Clemson Basketball Video Report: Brad Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Basketball Update: Clemson Basketball Video Report: Brad Brownell

Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM

Clemson Basketball Video Report: Brad Brownell

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

(ACC Basketball) In this league....

Nov 1, 2012, 4:56 PM

everyone has good players. And if you can't score consistantly,you're probably not going win alot of games. Hope I'm wrong,but I think this team has a huge uphill battle to climb.

#1- Go to player? Whos that guy going be? When the team goes through lulls,and needs someone to step up and make plays,whos that guy going be?

#2-Outside shooting...whos going make 3s?

#3- Leadership..are we to expect thats Jennings/Booker?

#4- Freethrows....that maybe more important than ever.

Alot of ifs,ands & buts (lol)

Yea it's going to be ugly....gotta play good defense

Nov 1, 2012, 5:16 PM

if we want to win this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: (ACC Basketball) In this league....

Nov 1, 2012, 5:39 PM [ in reply to (ACC Basketball) In this league.... ]

I agree that this team has unanswered questions and they are very young. But, don't under-estimate Brownell. This guy can flat out coach and if a couple guys can dial up their game a little bit, we'll be competitive with everyone and good enough to finish in the top 8. The ACC will easily be the best basketball conference this year so a top 8-9 finish with our youth would be a huge feat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To try to answer your questions

Nov 2, 2012, 12:10 AM [ in reply to (ACC Basketball) In this league.... ]

1) Go to guy? Off the bat obviously Jennings and Book. One thing about Brownell's first 2 teams is that the 2 primary seniors('10-11 Stitt and Grant, '11-12 Young and Smith) all had career years. Can Milt and Book do this? Yes. Will they? To be seen. Right now I'm hopeful. I am interested to see how much KJ and TJ have improved. KJ in particular, if he can develop a solid mid range game, could be a very effective scorer if a 15 foot jumper is combined with his ability to get to the hole.

2) Outside shooting? My biggest question mark. Quite simply, Sapp and Harrison have to hit the 3 from the 2 guard spot. Milton is certainly capable. Book can also. I don't see us being a team that focuses on the 3 this year. Maybe take 10-12 a game. If they are kick outs from the post, as Book is a good passer, they should be quality shots. I'd be happy if we hit 33% as a team. Roper could be a help here occasionally as well.

3) Leadership? Yes, Book and Jennings are the leaders. So far, they've said and done all the right things. Expect KJ and TJ to step up in this area as they were very involved in organizing off season work outs and such.

4) Free throws? Ah, the yearly Clemson question. Good thing is both Book and Milt are good free throw shooters so that helps. I actually expect us to be 70% or above this year, which is outstanding by Clemson standards.

When you have 11 freshmen and sophomores among your 13 scholarship players, their will be major question marks. What do I expect? Well, pretty much what we've seen the first 2 years. We'll struggle a little out of the gate as we strive for some offensive continuity, that, and a pretty tough pre-ACC schedule(Gonzaga and 2 other games in Orlando, Purdue, road game at SC, Arizona, and road trips to in state schools Furman and Coastal.) I'm hoping for 9-3, 8-4 but would take 7-5. When ACC play arrives we'll be improved, keep improving and hang around .500, winning a couple we shouldn't. Brownell's teams always improve, a nice trademark. Overall somewhere between 16-14 and 18-12.

One thing about the league this year is that a bunch of teams are young like us. NC, BC, MD, WF and GT will all be playing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. Of the experienced teams(Duke, State and Miami), only State has elite talent. Player development will be crucial, and that's Brownell's strength. I'm excited(always am).

I think our strengths will be on the ball defense and rebounding, and those aren't bad strength's to have. I think we'll try to run more and press more trying to create points, as young players struggle more in the half court. One thing I've noticed about Brownell that I think is the hallmark of a great coach is that he has a system, but will adjust. He added the flex offense last January and it helped a lot and we played our best ball in February. He says he's simplified the offense to assist the younger players, so I'd expect a lot of pick and roll and pick and pop with Milt and Book as both can hit a jumper. Guys like Hall, Filer and KJ can get to the hole. I think we're an NIT team that will be a team that no one wants to play in February.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic