Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Tigers not getting caught up in the hype
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Tigers not getting caught up in the hype

Oct 24, 2011, 8:52 PM

Tigers not getting caught up in the hype

Players like defensive end Malliciah Goodman are taking their cue from Dabo Swinney and not paying any attention to Clemson's lofty rankings.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I played professional tennis...

Oct 24, 2011, 9:26 PM

and won a championship when I was 24. Before that I played college and we finished 2nd in the nation my soph yr. Before that, I was blessed to have been on the state champion High School team as a senior. I can tell you that this is all TEAM TALK. Some coaches have a way of getting all the players to say the same thing. Clemson is GREAT at creating Team Talk. But please don't believe for one minute that these young men don't watch TV or Football. Chances are that's just not true. My HS coach once had all of us saying, "we just play as a team no matter what. That's what we focus on. Winning as a team."
IN TENNIS!!! Sorry, we all said it, and we all knew everyone who heard it wished it were true (and thought it was) but we all knew it wasn't. We said it because our coaches told us it would make us better if we projected that attitude... and it did. In sports, perception can be reality. But the truth was, all of us were great tennis players. Team or no team, none of us were going to ever give less than our all. And none of us would have ever said anything other than what we were instructed to say. Period.

These are great kids... saying what they've been told and taught to say. Give them credit for that. But don't think they live in a vaccum. They don't.

Re: I played professional tennis...

Oct 24, 2011, 9:32 PM

OK we get it..... you were good at tennis. Next time get to the point.

Oct 24, 2011, 9:45 PM

I can appreciate your athleticism and your comments, but the point is, they're not buying into the hype. Hype will cause you to think it's 'in the bag' and the next thing you know, you're 8-4. They're taking it one game at a time, eyeing the NEXT victory, not the next four.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2011, 9:41 PM [ in reply to I played professional tennis... ]

how do we know someone hasn't instructed you to say this?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then we should award points for 'Team Talk?'

Oct 24, 2011, 9:42 PM

He is really good at it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny! My old coach still telepaths my volley ;)***

Oct 24, 2011, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I played professional tennis... ]

I think that's what Seattle is saying...

Oct 24, 2011, 9:53 PM [ in reply to I played professional tennis... ]

If I'm reading him right, he's saying they're NOT getting caught up in the hype...and that saying the right things can produce positive results. I think he's just pointing out that these guys aren't living in a hole and that what is said about them actually DOES affect them. That's just how I read it. Cut him some slack.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

if Goodman says he doesn't watch football then I believe

Oct 24, 2011, 9:56 PM [ in reply to I played professional tennis... ]

him. Why would you call him a liar? He doesn't at all seem disingenuous to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The truth is...

Oct 24, 2011, 9:56 PM [ in reply to I played professional tennis... ]

Tennis isn't really a team sport. At most, it's a two person teams.

It's a bunch of individual scores added, just like track and cross country, to determine which team is better.

Not the same as football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

thats what made the mantra so ridiculous... duh.***

Oct 24, 2011, 9:58 PM

But to compare the two is

Oct 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

ridiculous.

In track, the coach preached team effort, but it was BS.

However, in true team sports, you have to have good team chemistry to get this far.

If they are making a point of saying they are avoiding the hype, I believe them.

he's not comparing them, he's using his experience as an

Oct 24, 2011, 10:37 PM

analogy to what our coaches are preaching to the team and giving his insight. nothing personal, but a lot of you folks are really dense.

Re: he's not comparing them, he's using his experience as an

Oct 25, 2011, 12:00 PM

No, I understand his analogy, but his experience is NOT in a team sport, so the two aren't equal.

Genius.

Re: he's not comparing them, he's using his experience as an

Oct 25, 2011, 12:43 PM [ in reply to he's not comparing them, he's using his experience as an ]

And you are miserable because we are 8-0 instead of 2-6 so you can say told you so about Dabo

You don't get it.....

Oct 24, 2011, 10:56 PM [ in reply to But to compare the two is ]

Avoiding the hype and what I was saying have nothing to do with each other.... I was simply saying this is team talk. If you don't get that, then you're just being argumentative...or you're stoopid....which I doubt.
I too think they are avoiding the hype... and clearly are working together as a team... any nutjob can see that...but it's not by staying away from TV and Football... that part is just team talk... it's from being competitors at a high level. With or without the team talk, guys at their level wouldn't be buying into the hype. And in my original post, I was clear and said "CHANCES ARE this isn't true." I never said anyone was lying. But of course dense people will still find something wrong with that explanation too. Not my issue.

you had me at "i played professional tennis"

Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 PM [ in reply to I played professional tennis... ]

and then i stopped caring

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I nearly played 3 professional sports

Oct 24, 2011, 10:11 PM

but I kept watching TV and I bought ALL of the hype. Kept me from winning. I regret that now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

KEEP FOCUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 25, 2011, 2:02 AM

I love how he said they will just stay within the team and keep focus. I AM ALL IN AND BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM. ONE TEAM ONE DREAM ONE CLEMSON!!!!!!!!!!!! What ever happens I believe in you players and coaches. Keep the eye on the prize (Tunnel vision out everything else)

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers not getting caught up in the hype

Oct 25, 2011, 7:30 AM

I was a professional Clogger. I got caught up reading the press clippings and 1 fateful Octoberfest, I put my right toe down when it should have been my left heel. I fell off the stage amidst the chants of "OVER-RATED".

Like Dabo has been preaching: "There's a lot of Football.."***

Oct 25, 2011, 7:57 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2011, 9:22 AM

When E.F. Hutton speaks, Goodman drops him like a sack'o'hammers. Stay focused...Go Tigers!

Oct 25, 2011, 10:10 AM

Uh Oh...Goodman better find a new channel. Go Tigers!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic