Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little known fact about Robert E. Lee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

A little known fact about Robert E. Lee

Aug 23, 2017, 4:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee

Aug 23, 2017, 4:10 PM

he also had a horse named renegade, or am I thinking about that idiot in Tallahassee?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks a lot, now I won't be able to announce for ESPN.***

Aug 23, 2017, 4:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the real USC that named their horse mascot Traveller***

Aug 23, 2017, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I thinked Lee's hoss was Traveler

Aug 23, 2017, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee ]

Renegade was the name of most drunk injun's

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Very fitting.***

Aug 23, 2017, 4:27 PM

Re: I thinked Lee's hoss was Traveler

Aug 23, 2017, 7:38 PM [ in reply to I thinked Lee's hoss was Traveler ]

wish I could give 10 TUs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BLASPHEMER!

Aug 23, 2017, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee ]

Traveler! Dammmit, Lee's horse was named Traveler.

Clearly you weren't raised in SC.

We studied all of the Confederate traito...Heroes!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lee's horse was Traveller, The real USC horse is Traveler***

Aug 23, 2017, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fun fact:

Aug 24, 2017, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee ]

You know that Stonewall Jackson's horse, Sorrel, was stuffed and is in the VMI Museum.

Aug 24, 2017, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: A little known fact about Robert E. Lee ]

null

Message was edited by: ClemKing

Aug 23, 2017, 4:14 PM

He married into a Korean family?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Here is a pic of Lee fighting at the battle of Cheat Mt.

Aug 23, 2017, 4:19 PM

Actually he was adamantly against secession and only

Aug 23, 2017, 4:24 PM

picked up his sword again when Abraham Lincoln threatened to invade his state.

In 1825 he was probably as unlikely to seceded as gentelman alive.

His father was a hero of the Revolution and LaFayette would visit him regularly when Lee was young to tell him war stories about his father and the Patriots.

I think you're wrong Billy, it says it right up there in my

Aug 23, 2017, 4:31 PM

poast. The google does not lie.

Truth

Aug 23, 2017, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Actually he was adamantly against secession and only ]

Robert E. Lee was a very noble man. Was very much against the institution of slavery, which the Civil War had little to do with. Well, little to moderate to do with. Slavery could have been ended very peacefully had that been the sole reason.

Re: Truth

Aug 23, 2017, 7:45 PM

History Book.....get one!

"The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states. When Abraham Lincoln won election in 1860 as the first Republican president on a platform pledging to keep slavery out of the territories, seven slave states in the deep South seceded and formed a new nation, the Confederate States of America. The incoming Lincoln administration and most of the Northern people refused to recognize the legitimacy of secession. They feared that it would discredit democracy and create a fatal precedent that would eventually fragment the no-longer United States into several small, squabbling countries." - Pulitzer Prize-winning author James McPherson

Also see the Compromise of 1820 as well as the Missouri Compromise of 1850. The war was about the federal governments anti-slavery beliefs and it's desire to halt the spread of Slavery, a position the Southern States refused to accept it as having such power (states rights). The States rights in question was the right to hold slaves.

The Civil War was, in fact, the primary cause of the Civil war. An industrialized North vs. an agricultural South were ancillary factors (northern tariffs on southern cotton) but Slavery was the fundamental issue.

A different viewpoint to look at

Aug 24, 2017, 7:53 AM

http://www.emarotta.com/protective-tariffs-the-primary-cause-of-the-civil-war/

Lincoln invaded the South for one reason (which he stated)

Aug 23, 2017, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Truth ]

The South paid almost all of the federal budget from the tariffs the North imposed on their trade with Europe.

When asked why Lincoln wouldn't just let the South leave, he asked them who would pay the bills.

As usual, every war ever started was over one thing: stuff, and usually the gold stuff.

Re: Truth

Aug 24, 2017, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Truth ]

"slavery, which the Civil War had little to do with."

As a native South Carolinian who is the great great great grandson of a confederate soldier who fought alongside his father, his father who was wounded at Gettysburg... and who lost three uncles in the war... one killed at Gettysburg, one killed at the Battle of the Wilderness, and one MIA and never accounted for.... I am constantly amazed by the continued white-washing of the causes and motivations for the Civil War. Face it, our forefathers' causes were not noble, and should be judged harshly by history. To deny that the cancer on our history that was slavery was the primary motivator for, and the driving factor behind the economic issues with the tariffs (and the South's ability to pay said tariffs post-abolition) is to deny history, and thumb one's nose at facts.

You may want to read this, it sums it up pretty well.

https://chartwellwest.com/2017/05/25/an-open-apology-to-the-confederacy/

I've heard this from many liberal friends

Aug 24, 2017, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Truth ]

that the Civil War had nothing to do with Slavery.....well then why are they always trying to tear down Confederate Soldiers memorials and statues?

POTD***

Aug 23, 2017, 4:24 PM

Re: POTD***

Aug 23, 2017, 5:01 PM

He was uch a terrible man Lincoln offered him to command the Union troops before he sided with Virginia and the South.

Didn't Lee free his slaves way before US Grant did?***

Aug 23, 2017, 6:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 6:39 PM

Haha, beautiful

I sure hope Monte can't be traced back to him....

Aug 23, 2017, 6:44 PM

because our country's brave masked, black-clad warriors will be storming Kingsmore Stadium demanding justice.

his name is really Mont E Lee***

Aug 23, 2017, 7:31 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lincoln not anti slavery

Aug 23, 2017, 9:36 PM

Fact: Lincoln did not want to abolish slavery. They had slaves in the north that were not freed. Read his words.

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races,”

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic