Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dressing For Sub 0 F. Weather
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Dressing For Sub 0 F. Weather

Aug 22, 2017, 8:15 PM

The coldest weather I've ever experienced in my life was in Korea during the early part of 1951. The three of us WW2 veterans, who had been recalled to active duty, were sent from the 205th Signal Repair Company to a Combat Engineering Company somewhere along the 38th Parallel. The only reason I can think of for sending us there was that ach one of us had an engineering degree. Our job was to supervise Korean civilians who were erecting and installing various defensive devices to stop or slow down the Chinese Army if they should get that far south. In retrospect almost anyone could have done the job to which we had been assigned.

The Army had made improvements in winter wear compared to what we had during WW2, but when one is exposed to extreme cold temperatures, such as we encountered, no matter the amount or quality of the clothing will keep one entirely warm.

There are certain things we learned to do before donning all of that cold weather gear. Never wait until you are fully dressed to realize you should have made a visit to the latrine or slit trench.

Now, to be properly dressed for the elements we would encounter, the sequence was important. Somehow that pile of "stuff" on the cot would be on us when we departed our tent. First, was the olive drab undershirt and shorts. Next came the two piece long handles. Now sit down and put on a pair of short woolen socks and then a pair of heavy knee length socks, pulled up over the legs of my long johns. That woolen shirt was next and then a pair of woolen trousers. That pile of "stuff" on the cot is shrinking and we're about half way dressed. It's now time for the weather-proof trousers and we can now sit down. It's a little trouble bending over but we've got to put on those fleece-lined Arctic-Pak boots. These boots were a big improvement over those we had during WW2 and I was one of the first ones to get a pair.

Now for the jacket and we're getting close to the end. Still have my hands and head to take care of. Over my head and face goes a woolen cap that has holes for my eyes, nose and mouth. My hands are the last of the body parts to be covered because I have to put on my overcoat with zip-down and around my legs leggings. I encircle all of this attire with my ammo belt, attach my canteen of water which will turn to ice soon after I step outside. add several clips of 30 cal. ammo and add a few more decorative ornaments. Check my backpack to be sure I have my "C" rations, matches, small pieces of wood for a fire, first aid kit and other items. Now it's time for the final touches. A pair of woolen mittens and another pair of fleece lined gloves with a trigger finger. I grab my steel helmet, throw it on my head. pick up my trusty M 1 and I'm ready to head for the mountain. In the meantime, I've added 50 -60 pounds and my waist has expanded from 30 inches to over 40 inches.

The final act is a two-part prayer. First, that I don't fall down because getting back up will be a problem, and second, that I don't have a call of nature while on the mountain.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dressing For Sub 0 F. Weather

Aug 22, 2017, 8:30 PM

Love it! Thanks for sharing Joe!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2017, 8:34 PM

+ 1 for " slit trench "

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2017, 9:20 PM

Great story- What you needed (other than a better assignment) was rubber stopper and a couple feet of tubing to park the canteen under the coat.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic