Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
AP voter and highly publicized Clemson hater
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 4,848

AP voter and highly publicized Clemson hater

Aug 21, 2017, 3:20 PM

Jon Wilner of The Mercury News is at it again. Has Clemson ranked lowest of all AP voters at #12.

He's the one who the national media blasted for not having Clemson basketball ranked in 08-09 when, under Parnell, Clenson was the last undefeated team at 16-0 and was ranked in the top 12.

Since then, he's been trolling Clemson hard by constantly having Clemson basketball and football ranked way lower than his peers. Most of the time it's laughable how much of a bias he has against the Tigers.

He is constantly voted the worst AP voter of the week and is just down right absurd with his logic, or lack thereof. How he still has a vote is beyond me.

Good news is he normally is eating crow when he doesn't respect Clemson.

Here's all the AP pre-season votes for Clemson:
http://collegepolltracker.com/football/team/cu/2017

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has 3-9 Michigan St

Aug 21, 2017, 3:56 PM

ranked #25 as well

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He has 3-9 Michigan St

Aug 21, 2017, 6:58 PM

I thought polls were loosely based on end of year predictions. As a result, it would be ok for a voter to predict a 3-9 team to do better during the upcoming season. Am I wrong?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He has 3-9 Michigan St

Aug 21, 2017, 8:25 PM

You're not wrong, but there's really nothing pointing to Mich St turning it around this year. It makes sense for a team like Texas to be top 25. Solid recruiting recently and a new, very good coach. But I haven't heard anyone predict MSU to have a good year. That's like ranking the coots 25th

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AP voter and highly publicized Clemson hater

Aug 21, 2017, 4:18 PM

He likes looking at "historical" rather than current5...
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/The-Dagger-interview-Jon-Wilner-Associated-Pre?urn=ncaab,134181

Here's where he explained that way back in his obsurd basketball ones:
"TD: Your reluctance to rank Clemson higher than No. 23 stems from the team's historically poor finishes. Why is it fair to judge this Clemson team based off past versions?

Wilner: My view of that issue is completely different. As you alluded to, the AP encourages its voters to base their rankings on performance. What's a more performance-oriented system than using victories over ranked teams as your guide? And Clemson has yet to play/beat a ranked team. Ideally, I'd apply the wins-over-ranked-teams standard to everyone. But the problem there is that because of soft early schedules, it would take until Christmas to find 25 teams that have actually beaten ranked opponents. So that's where the subjectivity comes into it. You simply can't hold every team to the exact same standard every week, or you could not fill out a ballot. I've tried. "

What I do also notice though, and wonder if we can throw a big party yet...is the lack of a certain The State beat writer Josh Kendall....

Aug 21, 2017, 6:41 PM

What I find more amazing is that Ohio State can finish 6th in the final 2016 poll following a 31-0 beatdown to finish the season, and not one AP voter put them lower than 5th.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2017, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: AP voter and highly publicized Clemson hater ]

And yet Clemson basketball finished #24 at the end of the year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who ARE these people?

Aug 21, 2017, 4:21 PM

Grace Raynor? Who?? This is a person who helps determine the AP poll?

"Grace? She passed away thirty years ago!"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grace Raynor .... New Clemson beat writer

Aug 21, 2017, 11:28 PM

She writes for the Post and Courier. UNC grad but she's done some good stuff on Clemson since she's been covering them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Josh Kendall got booted???

Aug 21, 2017, 5:42 PM

Thank God that Coot isn't voting this year!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Josh Kendall got booted???

Aug 21, 2017, 6:13 PM

Either booted, or didn't put in his pre-season vote. Hoping ofr the first...that guy literally dropped Clemson a few spots after beating the Gamecocks. Such a sore loser and has no business voting if he can't take his personal bias out of it and vote fairly. He's got to feel like an idiot now taking the winner of the Natty out of the top 5 after a 56-7 demolishing.

Guess what? - it's a good thing it doesn't really

Aug 21, 2017, 6:31 PM

matter. That's precisely the reason there are so many voters. If we win em all, we'll be no. 1. Simple as that. Where we are ranked right now matters about as much the score at halftime vs Kent.

There not ALL out to get us. And if some are, we still control EVERYTHING

Aug 21, 2017, 6:45 PM

Jon Weener sounds like the kind of dude that needs attention. The good or bad kind!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

typed on my phone. Auto-correct and fat thumbs make me look as dumb as Wilner***

Aug 21, 2017, 6:54 PM

Aug 21, 2017, 6:59 PM

"He is constantly voted the worst AP voter of the week"

Where do I go to see this and/or to vote? I'll hang up and listen.

The website I linked. I'll hang up and ignore***

Aug 21, 2017, 7:11 PM

Re: The website I linked. I'll hang up and ignore***

Aug 21, 2017, 7:19 PM

Ah yes. I see the little thumbs up and thumbs down. On mobile so I had to actually put forth effort.

Thanks, I deserves the snarky come back. +1 for you

Aug 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

Didn't our basketball team tank the second half of the season and finish outside the polls that year?

Sounds like a smart guy.....

I don't think #12 is unreasonable with the talent we lost.

Just as further proof Wilner is a moron, he has Texas ranked #9. How does he have a vote still?!***

Aug 21, 2017, 7:06 PM

Is that Chris Parnell ...

Aug 21, 2017, 7:07 PM

Of SNL fame ?

DB23

Aug 21, 2017, 7:15 PM

You can click on his name where he voted clemson 12 and it gives you the option to let him know what you thought . I hit thumbs down, like 68 other people did. Go hit it

Never heard of him

Aug 21, 2017, 7:19 PM

Some of y'all care too much about what one person thinks.

Too much mercury, it is a braincell killer!***

Aug 21, 2017, 8:35 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 4,848
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic