Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 3,991

What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele?

Aug 21, 2017, 12:05 PM

I've asked this question to a few of the visiting auburn fans but never got a response. Are they happy with him or do they think he's a good coach?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele?

Aug 21, 2017, 12:12 PM

No idea what they think but they better hope he has figured out how to stop dual threat qbs. I will never forget the time he made CJ Brown from Maryland look like a Heisman winner

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, and the jet sweep.***

Aug 21, 2017, 12:12 PM

Re: Yes, and the jet sweep.***

Aug 21, 2017, 12:14 PM

My blood pressure rises just thinking about it. So frustrating watching that.

KB will definitely be more likely to run than Deshaun did last year. Will be interesting

I would love to hang 70 on him as his share of payback.

Aug 21, 2017, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Yes, and the jet sweep.*** ]

The other share belongs to those toothless hicks from West Virginny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2017, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele? ]

Amen ..... the part that drove you nuts in that game was the success over and over of a couple or three plays. Even Brian Griese laughed when someone said we didn't have to make adjustment, just play harder ...or words to that effect.

Aug 21, 2017, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele? ]

Watson was/is an awesome QB ....
He or Lamar would be considered the best Dual Threat QB last year.

Deshaun Watson 19-34-1 248 1TD with 11 Carries for 21 yds. Total points 19.

I'll take that against a Heisman contending QB all day.

Aug 21, 2017, 2:08 PM

So Cam was 7/14 for 203yds and rushed 17x for 68 yds against Clemson in 2010. Listen if Cam would've played Clemson's D later in the season he would've done much better. We had a really good D that year BTW we just did not have a very good team. You won by a FG. You guys were #1 for a reason. Cam won the Heisman for a reason. Early season games are whacky and the offense especially usually takes a few games to gain traction. If you guys had faced DW at the end of the season his numbers would have been much better. Our O started slow last year just a yours did in 2010. Your D was not better than Alabama's. If we played at the end of the season it would've been a different story for your D. All that to say, again, the first month of CFB can be really whacky. Either team will be lucky to win. Pit them against eachother later in the season it's likely to be a different game. Remember when SC played you close that year and then you demolished them in the SECCG? All that to say I think Clemson will win but you are entitled to your opinion just as I am mine. You seem like a cool dude. We will just have to agree to disagree but KS is nowhere near as good of a defensive coordinator as Venables.

Aug 21, 2017, 3:19 PM

That was Cam's first year as a Starter at D1. I went to the spring game and we thought Neil Caudle would be the starter in 2010 because Cam "Looked" great in his pads. But played pedestrian like in that game. Caudle was accurate. I don't think it was until the 2nd half of that game until Cam took over. We didn't know he was that good. Had he played like that ... or maybe I should say had our coaches trusted him in the 1st half .... there's no telling what the score would've been.

We refer to that Clemson 2nd half as Cam's coming out party.

But I agree with you. Clemson did get better as the year went on. Most teams do ... Our D got better along the way as well. When we had a healthy Sean WHite and a healthy Pettway ... we were nearly unstoppable. Guys on ESPN were saying we were the best "October" team in the country. Then down goes Pettway and down goes WHite .... It's been two years since UGA and Bama had our starting QB (White tried to play last year and it cost us a Pick6 ... That pick6 cost us the game)

Aug 21, 2017, 3:57 PM

Cool but I think you missed the real point here. You guys did well against DW. You had a good defense. But a few teams did well against DW early. the point is your defense wasn't near as good as Alabama's. If DW plays your D in the playoffs he shreds them just like he did Alabama. It would be just like 2010. If Cam would've gotten another shot at Clemson he would've shredded them. Don't use a sluggish early season game to say how good your D is. If I use your logic Clemson's 2010 team is a top 10 team. We both know that's not the case.

they must like the way he's recruiting at the moment***

Aug 21, 2017, 12:25 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they must like the way he's recruiting at the moment***

Aug 21, 2017, 3:25 PM

He is a decent recruiter .... We're bringing in top talent on D every year ... not necessarily because of him ... but every year AU signs a Top 10 recruiting class. I could probably call the D at places like Bama, AU, Clemson ... etc. and be good.

no. as a matter of fact, you coudn't***

Aug 21, 2017, 4:26 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2017, 12:28 PM

Most Auburn fans I've talked too love him.
He is a good Coach as long as plan A is working but has no plan B whatsoever

Aug 21, 2017, 1:13 PM

I personally think he is a really good D coordinator. If it was 1992. That isn't meant as a slight to him, but he has had difficulty it would appear adapting to the more modern spread type offenses, but against a more traditional I formation on pro-style offense he was very good. He has done ok in the SEC since most offenses, especially in the West are a but more methodical and even plodding at times.

Aug 21, 2017, 1:36 PM

He's adapted. You guys still have that bowl game in your head (rightfully so) ....
But he's evolved. Our D was a Top 10 scoring D. And he was great with DTQBs.

He did great here his first year but he was too easy to

Aug 21, 2017, 1:44 PM

figure out. Once other teams figure him out, he can't change. He has a different look and will bring the blitz. As soon as you play a QB that is mobile and can spot the blitz, you are toast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He did great here his first year but he was too easy to

Aug 21, 2017, 3:23 PM

Again, we weren't toast against Clemson with quite possibly, the best DTQB in the country last year.
So I disagree.

He's changed over the years. But It makes no sense that teams can "Figure him out" after one year.
If that were the case ... he'd never rebound because he's already been figured out .... just have to watch old film of his Ds. He does really well with great talent .... like most other successful DCs.

How many real duel threat QBs did Auburn face last year?

Aug 21, 2017, 4:02 PM

I think Watson only had about 10 rushing attempts total. Trevor Knight maybe? Was Chad Kelly hurt when AU played Ole Miss?

The main thing I remembered about a Kevin Steele defense was his linebackers always turning their backs to the LOS in man coverage. He would have them just run with the TEs or any crossing route. The offense would run the LBs out of the middle and a QB would just take off. Once they got past the DL their wasn't anyone facing them for at least 10 yards. I remember screaming "just turn the $*#& around."

Re: He did great here his first year but he was too easy to

Aug 21, 2017, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: He did great here his first year but he was too easy to ]

Deshaun can be a dual threat when he needs to be, but each of the last 2 years, he didn't run the ball much (unless he absolutely had to), until after the midpoint of the season. They were trying to save his legs for must win games, and the postseason.

As was mentioned earlier, if we had played late in the season, I think it would've been a different game. That said, you lost Carl Lawson and Mont Adams on the DL this year, and KB is a better runner than Deshaun. He also won't stay in the pocket as long, or keep his eyes downfield. If your DL can't keep contain on him in the pocket, it could be a long night.

Idk what/who you've replaced your D-linemen with, but they're going to be tested all night on Sept 9th. Both teams will learn a lot about what they have in that game. I personally think Auburn has the best OL we'll face all year (regular season anyway), and that may be the difference in the game. Idk if anyone else we play can truly slow down our DL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2017, 1:38 PM

WE Like Him ... I responded to your post in my last thread btw.

We do like him ... although we realize that our A+ Defensive talent could make anyone look good.
He's been good with the few DTQBs we played last year. I really like him as a person ....
the players feel like he's a father figure.

& he had a Top 10 scoring D.

We have a better this year than last. So we expect the same.

Aug 21, 2017, 2:21 PM

As a Clemson fan I liked the guy fine. He was one heck of a hard worker and seemed to be above board in every way. As for his failure to adjust while he was here, I dont know if it was him or Bowden not letting him go to plan B. None of Bowden's teams seemed able to adjust very well.

As for the WVU game, I heard Steele was having a breakdown on the sidelines. While I do not know it to be true, it was and is believable.

I am happier with Venebles here, but I have nothing against Steele. He was not the reason we were mediocre during the period and we had a pretty good record against the dirtpeckers during his time. I wish him well util his new team/s meet us in competition.

Aug 21, 2017, 3:21 PM

Thanks for sharing ... I too think you have a stud in Venebles.

I don't think much of bowl games either. Aside from NC games ... Other bowl games are really about which coaches have their team more mentally prepared with all the other "Stuff" going on.

Aug 21, 2017, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele? ]

I guarantee you Bowden had nothing to do with Steele's short comings as a DC.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 21, 2017, 4:55 PM

Does ithaca know that Kevin Steele wasn't our DC under Bowden?

Aug 21, 2017, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: What do auburn fans think of Kevin Steele? ]

> WE Like Him ... I responded to your post in my last
> thread btw.
>
>
>
> We do like him ... although we realize that our A+
> Defensive talent could make anyone look good.
> He's been good with the few DTQBs we played last
> year. I really like him as a person ....
> the players feel like he's a father figure.
>
> & he had a Top 10 scoring D.
>
> We have a better this year than last. So we expect
> the same.

I would be very surprised if you guys have a better D this year, sorry. Not after losing Mont Adams and Carl Lawson. Without them you've got a solid, reasonably athletic front 4 on defense but no clear 10+ sack-a-year edge threat, and nobody who can stand up or split a double-team at DT. (This comes straight from a fairly prominent coach who was at several of your scrimmages both in spring and this fall.)

Back 7 is reasonably athletic and OK, but nobody will mistake it for (cough) Alabama's.

About Steele, also. He gets worse as he goes along. His third year at Baylor his team got blown out 70-22 on opening day by Cal...not the last time, as it happened, he would give up 70. The Bears got shelled again 62-11 by Texas Tech a few games later and he was fired. He was relieved of duties after just one year as Saban's DC in 2007 and demoted. His 2009 Clemson team finished 20th in total D and actually looked fair-to-decent. His 2010 team creeped up a place to 19th...and then came 2011. Clemson's D plummeted to 71st, ended the season with the Orange Bowl shelling...and worse, Steele left behind an absolutely gutted locker room behind him with very little talent. It took Venables until the end of the 2013 season before he really had the Clemson D playing legit Top-10 football again.

Steele knocked around back at Bama for awhile after that, a year as Director of Player Personnel (a non-coaching gig), another year as LB's coach. He did an ersatz year at LSU under Les Miles and finished a very mediocre 25th overall in the nation in total D (LSU usually falls in the Top-10)...and then, of course, in 2016...Auburn. Where he finished 28th overall in total D in one of the more offensively challenged conferences in college football.

If you think he's going to improve upon that 28th-overall total D in 2017, I'll take that bet. That hasn't been his pattern. His units tend to tread water for awhile...but they always end up sinking, in the end, and then Steele somehow flees to his next gig. He's obviously a heckuva interview because he's left some major calamities behind him.

Those who say Steele gets nuked and stands there shell-shocked when Plan A goes awry are very correct as well. Always has been his pattern too.

Aug 21, 2017, 3:33 PM

I loved him as a Clemson fan up until his last year. Really up until the Orange Bowl. Sometimes you just have to change it up.

Steele now forged in the fire of defensive meltdown?

Aug 21, 2017, 3:48 PM

If so, We should be wary.

They got who they got .... oh, wait ... that was Herring***

Aug 21, 2017, 4:03 PM

Re: They got who they got .... oh, wait ... that was Herring***

Aug 21, 2017, 8:46 PM

I liked him too - but would not want him back.

Replies: 29
| visibility 3,991
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic