Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on VT game ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Thoughts on VT game ...

Aug 14, 2017, 10:36 AM

Dabo has never lost to the Hokies ... the average point disparity is 35-16 in those 4 games.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/vatech/clem.shtml

But the Hokie fans seem pretty confident they are going to pull out a W in Sept.
I'm sure it will be a night game for them. Swofford will pull those strings.

Thoughts on this upcoming matchup?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on VT game ...

Aug 14, 2017, 10:39 AM

I grew up about an hour from VT. I am so glad Dabo got this series turned around. No one I'd rather beat than them. Fuentes will make them a solid team. I think we can take them this year though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2017, 10:58 AM

And I bet their confidence comes from the very thing that they don't look at internally for themselves...the loss of key players. They, like the coots, think that DW4 and WM was the entire team, not paying attention to how well Clemson has recruited in all the areas that they lost. Question is, can VT say they have done the same in recruiting?

They have though their QB Jarod Evans, his top WR Isaiah Ford, top TE Bucky Hodges, and RB Sam Rogers:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/virginia-tech-loses-qb-jerod-evans-and-his-top-two-weapons-to-the-nfl-draft/
https://www.gobblercountry.com/2017/8/14/16138810/vt-virginia-tech-hokies-2017-football-preview-part-one-acc-coastal-wvu-mountaineers-odu-monarchs-ecu

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2017, 10:58 AM

*have lost though

Aug 14, 2017, 11:11 AM

Literally every single VT fan I've talked to (I know a decent amount) isn't confident about pulling out a W. Most are hopeful, but they also know they lost just as many pieces on their team as us don't have anywhere close to the same amount of depth as us.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Lost that good QB and best receivers, I think we take 'em!***

Aug 14, 2017, 11:20 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't say I'm that confident

Aug 15, 2017, 1:14 AM

We lost a TON of talent from last year and I expect a bit of a dropoff (I actually thought Fuente inherited a pretty good amount of talent and expected year 2 to be the rough season). I foresee us winning 7 or 8 games. I don't think you guys are one of those.

I'm expecting us to give you guys a good game for about 2 and a half quarters. I wouldn't even be surprised if we are winning at the half. But I would expect our extreme lack of depth up front to be our undoing. By the 4th quarter, I expect that Clemson will be able to do whatever they want and a 17-13 type game will quickly unravel into a 38-20 type game by the time it's over.

Re: Can't say I'm that confident

Aug 15, 2017, 5:20 AM

Aren't they going with a true freshman at QB ? I thought I read that on somebody's post on here yesterday.
Fuente is a really good young coach and he will have a good home field advantage .
I think this game could be reminiscent of the ACC title game in terms of point differential, but I think it will be a much lower total overall .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

We'll be going with Redshirt Freshman Josh Jackson

Aug 19, 2017, 12:53 AM

He's got good talent but a great grasp of the game. He's a coach's son (his dad is former longtime Michigan RB coach Fred Jackson). He doesn't have the upside of True Freshman Hendon Hooker or 2018 commitment Quincy Patterson, but he has the tools to be a pretty good QB.

The QB position is going to be interesting in Blacksburg over the next few years.

### was Evans thinking? He got some bad advice.***

Aug 15, 2017, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Can't say I'm that confident ]

I felt sorry for him until he started tweeting cocky stuff.

Aug 15, 2017, 9:26 AM

His coaches advised him not to. He went from possibly 2nd or 3rd round this year (imo) to never playing a down possibly. To be fair his family had lots of needs but now what? It really is sad.

Definitely he did. I feel bad for him

Aug 19, 2017, 12:54 AM [ in reply to ### was Evans thinking? He got some bad advice.*** ]

He got some really bad advice from somewhere. He had some family needs, but in running off to try to help them, he's going to come up with nothing. One more year of seasoning and he might have been drafted higher.. though the QB class next year is stronger.

He only got bad advice from one source

Aug 19, 2017, 2:50 PM [ in reply to ### was Evans thinking? He got some bad advice.*** ]

his family. Everyone else (VT coaches, NFL, etc.) were telling him to say, but apparently dad "knew" more than all of the other professionals.

It's sad how often that happens

Aug 19, 2017, 10:37 PM

We really could use Evans this year. I think with Evans, we'd have a good shot to repeat as Coastal champs. But we'll see. Maybe Jackson will turn out to be a very good player himself.

Their defenseay be nasty and Fuentes offensive scheme is better.

Aug 15, 2017, 9:24 AM

But after Christian Wilkins and co. Sack a new qb 3 or 4 times and bat down a couple of his passes I think he will become dimensional. I think our D makes the difference in this game and we win. Don't be kidding yourselves though vt is on the rise and may be the competition on that side for years to come

They're on the rise and much improved I think they actually

Aug 19, 2017, 10:57 AM

only lose to us by two touchdowns this year.

Re: They're on the rise and much improved I think they actually

Aug 19, 2017, 2:06 PM

But we only beat them by one TD last year.....so we'll be even better is what you're saying? I'm good with that

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic