Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden biggest problem...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 4,284

Bowden biggest problem...

Aug 18, 2017, 7:50 PM

Was not thinking big enough. It was evident in everything from the uniforms to the play calling. Still thankful that he began to modernize the athletic facilities.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Windshield... not the rearview mirror.***

Aug 18, 2017, 7:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Windshield... not the rearview mirror.***

Aug 18, 2017, 7:56 PM

Watching 05 team now. When people say we never get elite rb's they must forget about freshmen j Davis. He was a beast.

Davis, Spiller, Harper

Aug 18, 2017, 7:58 PM

Allen, Flowers, Flagler

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 in the recent history... Spiller***

Aug 18, 2017, 11:35 PM

We have not landed elite RBs like we have at almost every other position. Feaster can change that if he shows out. Same with Etienne.

Snowflake Basher........Out

He didn't think small enough either.

Aug 18, 2017, 8:25 PM

But mainly he just had not tactical skill as a coach.

Or tact with the public for that matter.

Dude was scared to death on game days.***

Aug 18, 2017, 11:43 PM

Re: Dude was scared to death on game days.***

Aug 19, 2017, 5:51 AM

Yes. He almost always looked like he was about to cry. Post game he almost seemed as if he was indifferent to losing. Just not a good coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think calling him not a good coach is a bit unfair.

Aug 19, 2017, 8:28 AM

It is fair to say he wasn't cut out for big time college football though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think calling him not a good coach is a bit unfair.

Aug 19, 2017, 8:37 AM

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. He constantly did less with more by inexplicably losing to teams with less talent. Beat Miami one week and lose to Duke the next. Get blown out by Wake Forest and beat two top ten teams in the last four games. That 2003 season was the pinnacle of his tenure and gave me hope for him only to have my heart ripped out again in 2004. One sports commentator described his time at Clemson as a scitzophrenic ten year tenure. This is why he never had another job offer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those weren't bad years. I enjoyed wins like the Tennessee

Aug 18, 2017, 9:38 PM

win in the bowl and A&M win at homw and 63-17 and his domination of the coots. It was the upsets to teams like Duke and Wake and the near misses to the ACCCG that were hard to stomach. oh yeah and the Texas Tech beatdown along with losses to "Redshoes" Amamto at NCState.

Re: Those weren't bad years. I enjoyed wins like the Tennessee

Aug 18, 2017, 10:07 PM

It was a miserable era. Good but not good enough. Excuses excuses excuses. I Sam thankful to Bowden for bringing us Dabo but other than that he was chicken ####

Aug 18, 2017, 10:15 PM

Chicken #### will make #### GROW

Aug 19, 2017, 5:44 AM

Less you happen to have a dog like mine . He thinks the neighbor's chicken poop is his personal smorgasbord.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

All dogs are natural born shiteaters. They can't resist it!***

Aug 19, 2017, 12:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2017, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Those weren't bad years. I enjoyed wins like the Tennessee ]

I think that it would be difficult for anyone to coach when you stand at the 30yd line by yourself with your arms crossed on your chest and your game plans stuffed in your pants. That's was the coaching style I saw from tb.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or, his classic 'Dear caught in the headlight' look. His

Aug 18, 2017, 11:23 PM

look was like, what do I do now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually he did think "big"

Aug 18, 2017, 10:29 PM

He had the balls to come into town and say our facilities were lagging behind. That was a big move.

The thought process around Clemson had always been we have the best practice fields and biggest stadium in ACC. I was a student equip manager from 93-97 and we even thought we had the best facilities until we went to UNC and saw the new facility they had built at time. Clemson was living in the past until Bowden came along, IMO.

Give Bowden some credit. He laid the foundation for what you see in terms of improvements (West End Zone) at Clemson.

Dabo just took it to next level.

I was never crazy about TB, but I think you're right.

Aug 19, 2017, 1:01 AM

I knew some folks that worked at Clemson during the TB era who had less than complimentary things to say about interactions with TB, and I believe them. However, he did push for new facilities and understood what it was going to take to get us to the next level. He brought the program up a notch, without question, and I'm grateful for that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Actually he did think "big"

Aug 19, 2017, 5:47 AM [ in reply to Actually he did think "big" ]

Dabo took it another 5 levels . Dabo is maling Clemson football into a top tier team for the foreseeable future ..and TB just didn't seem to have the same ki d of plan , or ability ...or both .

DB23

Currently

Aug 18, 2017, 11:35 PM

is that he can't keep his mouth shut.

I feel James Davis didn't get the credit he deserved

Aug 18, 2017, 11:44 PM

That young man helped turn our program around. Bowden took us as far as he could and was a class act during his stay at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still remember the 07 game

Aug 19, 2017, 12:46 AM

As I said here a few days ago, I was actually on the Clemson sidelines for the VT game.

Tommy Bowden had to be talked out of making one of the biggest coaching gaffe's we all would have ever seen. It was 4th and 4 or so, score was 34-15 I believe. You guys had the ball around midfield with about 6 or 7 minutes left. No, it wasn't likely you were going to win, but stranger things have happened in football.

Anyways, I'm standing literally right behind Tommy Bowden at the time as he starts screaming "PUNT PUNT PUNT!!" If the cameras had been panning in on Bowden at that moment, they would have also seen me with a huge grin at that moment. To my dismay, he suddenly asks "wait, what's that" as he looks over to the scoreboard and says something like "hmm, I guess you're right, we should go for it" and he kept the offense on the field.

Luckily for him, I don't think very many other people on the team at the moment. You guys converted the 4th down, and drove for the score to briefly get back in the game. But you guys nearly bowed out way before it was necessary.

Also thought it was kinda funny around halftime as we were going into the locker room how several of the Clemson staffers were actually almost gleeful that it was such a butt-kicking as they were hopeful the game might end Bowden's tenure once and for all. I think it took one more year.

I will be making a point of going to the game in Death Valley when we return... in about 8 years or however long from now it is.

Re: Bowden biggest problem...

Aug 19, 2017, 11:11 AM

was not listening to the tnet football gurus. He would have had at least 2 NC's. Thankfully, Terry Don finally listened to us.

Replies: 23
| visibility 4,284
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic