Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hate to be a middle type of guy but,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Hate to be a middle type of guy but,

Aug 17, 2017, 7:24 PM

NCSt wins wins by 3-4. Everyone that knows money, knows The Pack are going to blow this. Either spread or game line. I'm wanting to bet on the pack but xxxx,.....Dave Doreen sucks. Please have another coot tell me how we almost lost with our 5 TO's. I'll hang up and listen

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to be a middle type of guy but,

Aug 17, 2017, 8:02 PM

I've actually been reasonably impressed with Doeren. Keep in mind he got Northern Illinois to 12-0 and all the way to the Orange Bowl back in 2013 before they finally lost to Florida State.

Since then he hasn't been flashy at NC State but he's been consistent and he he's just built, and without shortcuts. He's not a charismatic or even particularly likable guy but you can tell he's got a distinct idea how to build a program. He's forged major inroads with all the regional high school coaches and really cultures those relationships. He hasn't gone for quick fixes or flashy signings but has consistently signed upper-echelon 3-star guys with upside, and then redshirted and developed those guys into a fairly deep and cohesive unit...kind of the same way we did it, in fact. He's avoided problem children, JUCO's, and for the most part, grad transfers, though he did pluck a former starting QB - Ryan Finley - from Boise State who came across with a guy who looks like a very good OC in Eliah Drinkwitz.

I look across the NC State roster and I don't see a ton of great players but I see a solid 2-deep of very good players. Doeren's got a very, very dominant DL at the moment and is fairly athletic in his back seven. Finley is a solid if kind of workmanlike QB who could stick in the NFL. Guys like Nyheim Hines provide some explosiveness to what is otherwise a solid if unspectacular offense.

Doeren's not looking to win national titles right now. He's looking to build a squad that can win 10 consistently - again, exactly like we did it. From there I think he'll go for some of the flashier signings...which UNC might actually help him with, if the NCAA hits them for any appreciable sanctions.

I think this 2017 NC State squad has a chance of doing just that. I actually think they're a much deeper and more dangerous team over the course of a full season than, say, Louisville. And I think that DL of theirs will likely chase Baby Bentley right back out of Charlotte in the opener.

Re: Hate to be a middle type of guy but,

Aug 17, 2017, 9:57 PM

Not going to bother looking it all up again, but in these battles against UNC and NCSU the Coots are something like 9-0 in the most recent games though they were not in every case the more talented team.

Sound familiar? We managed to break that inexplicable spell so maybe the the State of North Carolina does this year as well. I can hope for it, I can believe it with all my heart and head but if my bookie is reading this- no need staying up late waiting on my call.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic