Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got to give Batson and Crew some serious credit here
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Got to give Batson and Crew some serious credit here

Aug 13, 2017, 9:49 AM

Not only did Diondre Overton get a lot bigger, but they made him look a lot older too. It is amazing what they are doing with these kids.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got to give Batson and Crew some serious credit here

Aug 13, 2017, 10:13 AM

Just a few short years ago everybody on t-net wanted him fired because our team lacked physicality. Now we are one of the most physical teams in the country. David wrote a few weeks ago about an OSU guy who was up in the press box who said that once he saw our guys warming up he knew the Buckeyes were in trouble. He said we were unlike any team he had seen last year. I think Dabo not only got better athletes for Batson to work with but he has also established his blue collar culture into this program that has created a hard working mentality among the players. They're definitely buying into the S&C program.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 11:01 AM

recruiting better players and those that are "All In" helps. All Batson needed was the right kind of players. I agree, we are more physical and can play with everyone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 11:21 AM

Exactly. The Bowden culture needed to be eradicated. We needed guys who are all in. I also read on here years ago something about we needed a dietician like FSU. I am guessing this has been done because man we are really growing them big these days. Of course that post may have been posted by someone who didn't know what they were talking about but if true that was an interesting point.

Aug 13, 2017, 11:35 AM

There's a full staff of nutritionists, and they have the nutrition stations ready for the players after every lift. Dabo has really given everyone what they need and will continue to do so, he's serious about sustaining this for the long run

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 11:37 AM

I keep a nutrition station under my desk, keeps me in top form on the internet.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Got to give Batson and Crew some serious credit here ]

Thanks man. Figured he did. Do you know for sure if this is any different than a few years ago early in his tenure?

Aug 13, 2017, 11:53 AM

I know that early on (when the new weight room was opened in the stadium for only the football team), players were kinda on their own as far as what they put in their body after a lift. All of the right options were available for the kids, but it was up to them if they chose to grab a protein shake or grab something healthy on their way out of the weight room. 4 on-staff strength coaches can only do so much when it comes to that stuff, and most of the time the strength coaches are working with their position group or a kid who wants to put in some extra work when everyone is leaving. Coach Batson got some nutrition interns from Clemson to start coming in and making shakes and smoothies for the players in 2011-12, and it really took off after that. Now everything is specific for every player, everything is monitored and recorded. Every players nutrition is centered around what the goal is for their weight or body composition. Pretty much every meal that these kids take in is provided by Clemson now, which makes it a lot easier to know why guys aren't putting on or aren't losing weight, and a lot easier to control all of that

Aug 13, 2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks man. That's the timeframe in which we turned the corner as a program. Seems like a direct correlation. Dabo's smart (obviously) and knew he couldn't keep doing the same things and expect different results. That man has made sure we aren't behind anybody in anything when it comes to player development.

247 did an awesome article on the nutrition program..

Aug 15, 2017, 3:14 PM

http://clemson.247sports.com/Article/Clemson247-spoke-with-Clemsons-Director-of-Football-Nutrition-Pa-73293452

If you don't have VIP, lemme know and I might copy it.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Through Bowden and up to LSU we DID have

Aug 13, 2017, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Got to give Batson and Crew some serious credit here ]

a strength and physicality issue. Most often when we lost games it was because the other team was stronger and more physical. The Alabama game of 2008 and that string of coot losses come immediately to mind, but if one took the time to run through the schedules then many more could be circled.

If you recall leading up to that LSU game basically all national pundits thought LSU was going to physically mash us. I recall my friends and I being very concerned about that too.

Strange thing happened before that game. There were rumors and even stories on Tigernet of Batson being let go or his role diminished. There were talks of bringing in new coaches, I think one or two from Grayson. One may have even been current staff member Mickey Conn. What ultimately happened were changes in strength training techniques from within. We trained with more one on one , mano y mano type things, challenging one's manhood. It was also around this time the Oklahoma drill was implemented.

The changes worked. We went toe to toe with big bad LSU and won the game. I don't think we've been outphysicalled by anyone since before that game.

In all, there were very valid concerns about our S & C program and Batsons name was a big part of it. There were serious talks from within the program of moving him out of his leadership role. So yes, it was real and it was justified.

Whatever he did it worked. It's all good now.

Re: Through Bowden and up to LSU we DID have

Aug 13, 2017, 11:59 AM

Batson was never in any danger of losing his job. All of the coaches and administrators who work close with Coach Batson know that he is always looking for ways to improve his processes and he is 100% there for every player every day. The only thing that changed was better players, more wins, more money and better facilities. Everyone always wondered why it took Clemson players 2-3 years to contribute and they always had huge senior years, it's because when they came in they were no where near ready to play and then Coach Batson and his staff put in the time to transform them.

I hate it when people say stuff like "changes to the strength technique from within"? What the #### are you talking about? Do you even know what the hell that means? If so, please explain. I've seen many Coach Batson work outs and I can assure you their is nothing wrong with the "technique from within" lol

You sir are very incorrect.

Aug 13, 2017, 12:19 PM

There were talks of Batson being demoted or moved out altogether and being replaced by a couple of Grayson guys.

There were changes in nutrition but it's silly to think milkshakes and more player dedication are what turned us around. There were a plethora of techniques and more modern approaches added as well.

Not sure where the vitriol comes from, but this is the simple truth of the matter.

Re: You sir are very incorrect.

Aug 13, 2017, 3:19 PM

I apologize for coming off that way, it just irritates me that people talk about Coach Batson getting fired but don't see him coming in every morning at 5 AM and leaving late in the evenings, all in efforts to prepare every player for a long football season. The only change that was made to my knowledge as far as staff was bringing in Paul Hogan after Abernethy left to go to Furman. There were never any talks of bringing in any high school coaches to head up the strength and conditioning department. Coach Batson's work outs haven't changed, so the part about you saying that things had to change are not true. The additions of new facilities have allowed Clemson to push sleds year round, because in the past the turf guys said the team can't push sleds outside year round on the practice fields because it will kill the grass lol. But the overall structure of Coach Batson's strength program have not changed one bit. He still does all of his core lifts, still does the same auxiliary lifts, and you were trying to make it seem like Coach Batson had to make big changes or he would be gone.

Serious talk about a head strength and conditioning coach being fired isn't hearing from a friend who heard it from another friend. Decisions like that come from the AD and are between the head coach and athletic department, so I just really doubt that any kind of talk of a high school strength coach coming to take over for Coach Batson ever had any credibility behind it.

Also hysterical to think that a top tier ACC program

Aug 13, 2017, 4:46 PM

would replace their S&C coach with a few high school coaches. In what way would that have been a step in the right direction??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of those coaches is on staff now. He was a high school

Aug 14, 2017, 1:26 AM

coach, like some guy named Chad Morris.

So you're referring to Mickey Conn.

Aug 14, 2017, 10:10 AM

He was going to be our S&C Coach? We were going to fire Batson, who was making upwards of 300k, and replace him with a high school head coach? Do you have any idea what goes into a S&C program? It isn't just some coach yelling at players to lift more.

There is zero chance that we'd be where we are today if we replaced Joey Batson, one of the best in the S&C business, with a high school head coach.

No sir. That's incorrect.***

Aug 15, 2017, 4:26 PM

Re: One of those coaches is on staff now. He was a high school

Aug 15, 2017, 2:48 PM [ in reply to One of those coaches is on staff now. He was a high school ]

Look up the strength and conditioning staff. It's the same guys it has been since 2011. And as far as implementing the Oklahoma drill before LSU, I don't think that was the first time they ever used the Oklahoma drill.

And as far as your smart ### comments about milkshakes and all that, that whole physicality thing doesn't just pop up and all of a sudden you are a physical team. It starts in the weight room, it starts with transforming the players body so they are physically able to dominate the guy in front of them. Ad Coach Batson has done and will continue to do a #### good job of getting the players bodies ready for a season of winning

Batson is doing a good job..

Aug 15, 2017, 4:36 PM

But he wasn't through Bowden up to LSU.

And yes, the Oklahoma drill absolutely was absolutely implemented prior to the LSU game.

The physical nature of our team was a weakness and it was corrected via a multitude of changes including our strength and conditioning program. Many new approaches were implemented including in Batson's and team practice methods.

I'm not sure why you have your panties in a was about this, but it's the truth of what went on at that time. The proof is in the pudding of going toe to toe with big, bad LSU (who was expected to physically beat us up) and not losing a physical battle since. Up to that point, we continually lost games due to other teams being more physical. That was the M.O. - punch us in the mouth and we would fold.

Re: Batson is doing a good job..

Aug 16, 2017, 11:29 PM

I'm still not sure that you know what strength and conditioning is....

Coach Batson has had the same programs for years, it's a year round program. Some of the auxiliary lifts may change, but the core lifts have always remained the same.

If the Oklahoma drill wasn't used up until the LSU game, there should have been some football coaches fired. Oklahoma is a football drill with pads on, Coach Batson is the weight room coach and has nothing to do with what happens on the practice field after warm ups and stretches.

The LSU game and Tommy Bowden being fired happened a few years apart from each other. So there's a time gap there...idk why I'm talking about this with you I'm convinced that you have absolutely mixed 4 or 5 stories that you have heard over the years and somehow came up with Mickey Conn, a football coach, replacing Joey Batson, a master strength and conditioning coach.

We implemented the Oklahoma Drill in practices leading up to

Aug 14, 2017, 1:25 AM [ in reply to Re: You sir are very incorrect. ]

the LSU game.

The Oklahoma Drill is:

A) A milkshake
B) A precise X and O play
C) A strength and conditioning drill used to develop lower body strength, leverage, power, aggression, and physicality.

One example of many.

It all really took off after the loss South Carolina game (the Swearinger thug pose) and before LSU. Dabo had had enough.

There were absolutely internal discussions to bring in two assistant coaches from Grayson, one who is a well-known strength training guru. In order to do that, Batson would either have to be demoted or move on. Ultimately, yes, we brought in nutritionists and new state of the art facilities, but we also added more drills and strength and training techniques to promote the physical nature of the game, build the right mindset, and build the right muscles the right way. The Batson program was improved, and I'm not talking about adding milkshakes, eating more chicken, or new ways to do curls or bench presses. We are no longer outphysicaled by anyone, and it's not solely due to milkshakes, legsleds, or a new staff of nutrition gurus. It's due to changes in the way we did things too.

This is the absolute truth of the matter.

By the way, are the poster formerly known as daredevil?

There was a lot of blather on tent about

Aug 14, 2017, 5:22 AM

Joey Bateson needing to go and in response to that, Dabo had one of his passionate rants supporting Batson. He made it very clear that people questioning Batson didn't know what they were talking about. That doesn't mean that some changes weren't made but Batson was never in danger of being replaced.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Through Bowden and up to LSU we DID have ]

This is also the timeframe in which we stopped bumping and wrapping in practice. Before the 2012 season if I recall correctly. Several things changed after 2011 and we turned the corner to be a powerhouse program.

Aug 15, 2017, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Through Bowden and up to LSU we DID have ]

I don't even think you know what strength and conditioning is.

Aug 17, 2017, 3:25 AM [ in reply to Through Bowden and up to LSU we DID have ]

I remember years ago when I thought that VT pushed our guys around, even in Death Valley. That's obviously changed, but I felt that allot of it had to do with the coach's mentality.

There is one exception to your point that we have not been

Aug 17, 2017, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Through Bowden and up to LSU we DID have ]

"out physicalled" since the LSU game. We were absolutely beaten to a pulp by FSU in 2013. That game looked like men against boys. Although that may have been the most talented college team of all time.

Everybody on tigernet wanted him fired?

Aug 13, 2017, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Got to give Batson and Crew some serious credit here ]

Come on man, that is so not true. There were a few at best that wanted him gone and they were the same idiots that wanted dabo fired and wanted mike leach hired to begin with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire Batson!

Aug 13, 2017, 4:53 PM

We can't be bulkin' guys up?! That's not "doin wit we do"!

...bout time we see some returns on investment, seriously. And by returns I mean praises from Tnet.

Isn't it amazing how

Aug 15, 2017, 2:50 PM

everybody seems to get a little bit older every year?

Re: Isn't it amazing how

Aug 17, 2017, 12:06 AM

I didn't see it mentioned and I may be wrong, but besides S&C, I saw a huge change in the physicality of this program when Venables came in. Did we or did we not stop this tackling once he arrived? Was it his suggestion? Just look at the change in the 2012 season from the Auburn game to the LSU game. We had lost to WVU the year before and I think we've only lost 10 games since that loss. I think we have a top 5 staff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isn't it amazing how

Aug 17, 2017, 12:20 AM

I read a lot of stuff that said Venables simplified a lot of the defensive concepts when he came. It's more of read and react now, when Steele was here it seemed like our guys were still talking to each other and trying to get lined up when the ball was snapped

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic