Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Predicting the 2017 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,461

Predicting the 2017 season

Aug 13, 2017, 5:07 PM

For quite some time I have been battling back and forth on how I thought this season would play out.
I fully believe there will be some areas of the team that might actually be better than it was last
year, including both lines and linebacker.
Runningback will be deeper & receiver should be equally as good. But there are some concerns at TE,
corner and yes QB.
I think this team has the "potential" to make the play offs. But predicting 3 years in a row would
surely be tough, right? So with that said, here's how I see the 2017 season playing out. ( At least
for now)

Sept 2- KENT STATE.....A few offensive struggles by the Tigers early, but Clemson gets it done in
the end. Winning 34 to 10 (1-0)

Sept 9- Auburn.....Honestly, I don't think the Auburn offense will be any better in 2017. And with
an even better Clemson defense, the Clemson Tigers make a statement in front a national audience.
Clemson wins 24 to 13 (2-0)

Sept 16- at Louisville.....this has been a battle the last 3 years. And with the Cards having 1 of
the most talented players in the country. It might be hard to do it again. Clemson falls, 38 to 31
(2-1)

Sept 23- Boston College...Tigers get back on track winning, 34 to 16.(3-1)

Sept 30- at VA TECH....this games concerns me, but it seems like the Hokies have alot of pieces to
replace as well. Clemson goes in and gets the win 24 to 23 (4-1)

Oct 7- Wake Forest....don't mean to knock the Deacs, but this is back to what it should be. A
scrimmage for the Tigers. Clemson wins 35 to 17 (5-1)

Oct 13- at Syracuse...I believe the Orangeman are much improved. And this game could be a trap, if
....the Tigers aren't ready. Clemson gets it done, 31 to 24. (6-1)

Oct 28- Ga tech....I think Coach Venables has done an excellent job defending the Yellowjacket
offense in recent years. This should be no different, Tigers win 27 to 17 (7-1)

Nov 4- at NC STATE....I would like to believe the Tigers will be JACKED for this one after not
playing so well in 2016. Clemson wins, 27 to 20 (8-1)

Nov 11- Fla State....Can the Tigers win 3 in a row? Hard to predict that, really is. Clemson loses
at home 34 to 20 (8-2)

Nov 18- CITADEL....Clemson rolls, 37 to 3 (9-2)

Nov 25- S.Carolina....Coots better get use to losing, Clemson wins 28 to 17. (10-2)

So, for now....
I have Clemson going 10-2 on the season; Orange bowl Birth?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Predicting the 2017 season

Aug 13, 2017, 6:04 PM

Can't argue w/that as a prediction. I personally think we go 2-1 vs UofL, FSU, & Auburn

If FSU was in better shape at receiver I would predict a loss, but I think we match up well with them, & we're at home.

UofL can't block us

Auburn is our most likely loss imo

I think we will be a 4th quarter team because of our depth and physical style of play on O & D. We just have better athletes & more of them than other teams.

Go Tigers!

???

Auburn

Aug 14, 2017, 4:37 PM

Honestly, I don't see Auburn's offense being any better in 2017.
And with Clemson's defense possibly being even better. First team
to 20 wins- that's Clemson.

Yep. They didn't lose a lot in terms of numbers, but when

Aug 14, 2017, 5:04 PM

your defense loses Mont Adams and Carl Lawson....you've lost a lot. On the offensive side, they're replacing 2 OLs from a fair to middlin' line, so not sure what that means for them.

The wild card is Stidham, guy is a legit NFL caliber QB. Pettway is a good bruising RB, Johnson is ahhite and I'm sure they'll try to yo-yo us in playcalling run/pass.

I just don't think AU has the interior guys to hang with us when it gets late in the game. And I hope Stidham has to run for his life all day long.

Re: Auburn

Aug 16, 2017, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Auburn ]

I am not predicting an Auburn win ... yet ;)
But I assure you our offense is miles better than 2016.

Upgraded 5 star QB
All SEC RB (who didn't have one snap against Clemson last year)
Veteran OL
Highest ranked WR class that will be Sophomores.

on Defense .. .this is the most talent Auburn has had in the last decade.
Four 5* DL, all 3 starting LBs back, 3 of 4 DBs back. All 4 and 5 star players on 2 deep.

I know this will be a battle .... I know it will be tough in Death Valley

PS, I'll be there! 2nd trip for me (2011) ... hoping for a better outcome ;)

Aug 16, 2017, 5:56 PM

I do agree it will be a dog-fight. And I don't see alot of points by either team.
Plus, Clemson will have one of the best defenses in the country.
Low scoring, and our Tigers ;)
Get the "W".

24/ 13

Aug 16, 2017, 10:40 PM

Phil Steele (considered the best in the biz) has your DO ranked #1 ... our LBs were #11 & DBs were #9 ... our DL with with the 4 5*s were ranked 6 (which I think i think is low) ... our D was ranked a tad bit higher overall IIRC.

Our D is legit. People keep talking about Monty & Lawson leaving, but 5 *s Davidson & Brown enter their Soph seasons a little ahead of where Monty & Lawson were at this stage in their careers. Win or lose, you'll be impressed with our D (specifically the DL).

As good as I know your D is st Clemson .... I'll PayPal you $100 if Clemson holds our offense to under 20. I think this game gets to the
31-27 range despite having two of CFBs best Ds.
Last I checked, vegas has Clemson a 3.5 favorite ... down from around 6.5 a couple of months ago.
Haven't checked it in a couple of weeks though.

Aug 17, 2017, 6:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Auburn ]

Auburn fan: You just might want to look at WHO that new QB your have has played against. This kid has some ability to be sure BUT he has never played a game in a place like Death Valley and most important he has never played against a D like the tigers have this year. He will spend a good portion of the nite on his are wondering what big boy football is all about. This aint the old SEC. Just ask Mama who got beat solidly 2 years in a row.

Aug 13, 2017, 6:20 PM

FSU will not win in DV, it will be a close game, it's FSU, but our D will pull us out in the 4th quarter. FSU goes back home with feeling hurt. And I think that it's possible that FSU could have 2 losses before coming to DV, Bama, Miami or Louisville before getting to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd switch Auburn and Louisville

Aug 13, 2017, 6:48 PM

I actually think you guys roll against the Cards this year. But Auburn will be a better on offense and beat you guys in a close one.

I have you guys at 10-2 and going to the Orange Bowl. With a win, you might very well finish top 5 or 6.

And I'm through counting Clemson out for doing more.

Re: I'd switch Auburn and Louisville

Aug 14, 2017, 4:38 PM

IMO, Auburn is bad on offense....and I just don't see them being any better.

Aug 13, 2017, 6:51 PM

Bottom line if we have good QB play , can win them all.
But if the Offense struggles we will lose 2-3.
The Tiger D will be great no doubt but the O will have to win a game or two.

Aug 13, 2017, 10:14 PM

Exactly what i'm thinking. It's either going to be a year like 2014 or a year like the last 2 years depending on how much offense gels .

Aug 14, 2017, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Predicting the 2017 season ]

Me and a buddy of mine were talking about the season. And for me, I see a lot of CLOSE GAMES.
And if you keep doing that, eventually it catches up with you.

Last year's offense avg what, 37 points per game? You could say, kind of under-achieved with
all that talent. Plus with a new QB in 2017, and more of an imphasis(sp) on the running game.
This is a 30 PPG type team, IMO (017); Do I think this team "can" make the POs....sure.
But hard to predict that right now.

8-4 to 12-0 depending on QB.*****

Aug 13, 2017, 10:26 PM

Agree!***

Aug 14, 2017, 4:44 PM

All huberous aside.....

Aug 14, 2017, 7:12 AM

The part of the season that bothers me is the 4 gamestretch of Auburn, Louisville, BC, VT. Allbarn is always very physical, then you go on the road, BC will be a victory, but again, they're physical, then you go to VT which will be a huge game for them and us (if they've already lost to WVU) and if we've lost to AU or Lou. We can lose at Blacksburg, its a tough place to play and I've seen us take good teams in there before and get upset (BD - before Dabo). Confident we can win them all, but dang, that is a tough stretch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forgot to add: then we have 2 winnable games, Wake is

Aug 14, 2017, 7:27 AM

terrible, and Cuse is tough because it's so loud and hot there (I keed). The break should be good and we should roll over GT at home, after a week off. Not convinced that NCST will be that great, but hate player at Carter Finley, they'll be tough, then FSU comes in - maybe a Game Day if we're both rolling?

Bottom line, I think we are better than all of the teams on our schedule, the wild card will be injuries and travel. Dabo has been great at getting them prepared, he's got his work cut out for him this year. I won't be surprised with 10-2, but Dabo and Co. are good at what they do, so you never know.

This is me, so definitely take this with a grade of slaw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2017, 5:11 PM

How are we going to lose to FSU and UL and still make the orange bowl? Who will UL or FSU lose to, if not us?

Aug 16, 2017, 5:30 PM

NC, Nc state, FSU, Kentucky (possible loses for L'ville) I can see them going 2-2 there.

Aug 14, 2017, 6:39 PM

After careful evaluation --- if we keep turnovers to a minimum --- the only close game i see is the FSU game and even then i feel confident in a win -- too much defense and a plus offense to lose close games --- you are going to see a team much like other consistent powerhouses that reload and improve --- Dabo power!!!!!!

At least four tough ones in the mix

Aug 16, 2017, 11:04 PM

Agree we out-man Cardinals but road game following close Auburn fight (either post-Watson big win celebration or brutal close loss) will be challenging to get up for even with bad Louisville O-Line. NCSU on road and FSU will also be nail biters. Which players will step up? Will be fun to watch because we have some new stars about to surface. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,461
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic