Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Phillips will remain Clemson's athletic director
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

Dec 8, 2010, 5:51 PM

Clemson University President James Barker and Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips ended weeks of speculation on Wednesday when it was announced that Phillips would remain in his current position as the head of Clemson athletics. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are begging people to stop donating to IPTAY***

Dec 8, 2010, 5:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

AD Philips's tenure

Dec 8, 2010, 6:08 PM

One of my biggest complaints about this AD is that he has changed the Clemson traditions- the environemnt of Game Day from the constant rap music that drowns out the band and will not let you talk to the person beside you due to the volume, to not allowing fans on the field right after the game (as wella s Bball)-to allow particularly the young fans to get to speak to the players, to limiting personal appearances of the coaches by reducing the number of spring meetings for the local clubs, to every replay on the stadium scorboard being a commercial ...and I could go on and on- the coaches are bing further removed from the fans. This is Death Valley not an NFL venue. I could not even pick up the basketball game on the radio on my drive from Charleston to the Upstate on Sunday until I reached Columbia.

Re: I Totally Agree with the negative changes you noted

Dec 10, 2010, 6:43 PM

I thought my wife and I were the only ones that have complained about that awful ear-drum bursting noise they subject us to between plays at the game or the numerous commercials that curtail the replays we want and need to see. And what about that poor excuse of a replay screen that we have....pathetic. I saw one at Virginia twice the size of ours more than 5 years ago!!!
Anyway, I love our team and our university but I think we could do so much better in creating a fan-friendly environment at the football games and could secure an athletic director that talks more positive, acts more positive, and most importantly, acts like he enjoys his job at Clemson. I have met the guy and he doesn't enjoy casual conversation, doesn't smile, just does not enjoy interacting with the fans at all....he makes a very bad impression for Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well they succeeded.***

Dec 8, 2010, 6:17 PM [ in reply to They are begging people to stop donating to IPTAY*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed they have. They're stupid if they haven't foreseen it***

Dec 8, 2010, 6:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: And their wish will be granted.***

Dec 8, 2010, 7:14 PM [ in reply to They are begging people to stop donating to IPTAY*** ]

can it get any more pathetic....

Dec 8, 2010, 5:55 PM

how many more time will prez barker and his admin spit in our face.

Don't worry... I would have drug my feet too if I had...

Dec 8, 2010, 5:55 PM

to report this. ;)

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Phillips remains Clemson's AD- nice press release

Dec 8, 2010, 5:56 PM

a complete load but nice wording ( in mamby pamby land)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the best line in the whole article:

Dec 8, 2010, 6:06 PM

"It is particularly important that our football program be strong because it generates revenue that supports other sports, provides a valuable marketing tool for student recruitment and alumni support, and generates significant national publicity."

Barker forgot to add this-

"It's important that I have this revenue available so that I can dip into (steal) it whenever I have a project that I believe will help us attain a Top 20 ranking by U.S. News and World Report. Yes, it's more or less a worthless ranking that no one pays attention to now, but we are going to try to attain it anyway!"

His bible US News is ceasing publication

Dec 8, 2010, 6:08 PM

where will he go to rig rating scores now?? Seriously

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure he's find another bogus publication. Rigging

Dec 8, 2010, 6:21 PM

is exactly what he's doing too. One rating that he's rigging is alumni participation/contributions. Apparently, US News looks at the % of alumni that donate to the university. Not Iptay, but the Clemson Fund. To get around this, if you go to one of the spring meetings where Dabo speaks, they take a portion of the money you pay to get in and give it to the Clemson Fund. Real slick, Barker!!

Re: I'm sure he's find another bogus publication. Rigging

Dec 8, 2010, 11:23 PM

Are you serious? Don't mean to sound stupid but I did not know that. Reckon thats one meeting I'll miss. Looks like we're screwed no matter which way we turn.

Re: Phillips will remain Clemson's athletic director

Dec 8, 2010, 6:12 PM

"We aspire for our athletic programs to be ranked consistently among the nation’s top 25 teams, to be competitive for conference championships and successful in post-season play. I have asked Dr. Phillips to again review every program and ensure that it has the resources and support needed to be competitive at that level."

So thats what we aspire for? Just to be in the top-25 and be "competitive" for conference championships

Under this administration, yes. That's why we need to

Dec 8, 2010, 6:14 PM

clean house!!

i guess that 10 year plan changed***

Dec 8, 2010, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Phillips will remain Clemson's athletic director ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i guess that 10 year plan changed***

Dec 8, 2010, 6:22 PM

the more things change, the more they stay the same up there.

Unfortunate. Clemson could really be special again with the right leadership IMO.

That would be an improvement actually...***

Dec 9, 2010, 1:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Phillips will remain Clemson's athletic director ]

GO TIGERS

1 word: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO***

Dec 8, 2010, 6:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2010, 6:26 PM

SOS.

Dec 8, 2010, 6:59 PM

Are you saying Same Ole Slop, OR. Same Ole SH!TTTTT !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

barker failed to mention something....

Dec 8, 2010, 6:33 PM

Over the past 10 years, Clemson has invested nearly $120 million in athletics facilities. Grade-point-averages and graduation rates of student-athletes have improved significantly, the department is financially healthy, and there has been strict compliance with the letter and spirit of NCAA regulations.

he failed to leave out in those 10 years zero championships in any of the big three sports.

Well Wilkins was a tennis player and Barker on a "partial"

Dec 8, 2010, 6:42 PM

track scholarship. Neither are part of the big "3"

Pretty sure we won a championship in baseball a few

Dec 8, 2010, 6:48 PM [ in reply to barker failed to mention something.... ]

years ago. Other than that, you are correct though. Clemson athletics is in a sad state of affairs.

Re: Pretty sure we won a championship in baseball a few

Dec 8, 2010, 7:03 PM

And one thing that I'm sure of. The coots are licking their fat chops. And they are loving it b/c, they see the last 2 years as being the norm..............

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you're not part of the solution your part of the problem

Dec 8, 2010, 7:19 PM

Fire Barker

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

What a pathetic joke!

Dec 8, 2010, 7:21 PM

And I will remain committed to not donating any money this year.

The lunatics are running the asylum

Dec 8, 2010, 7:45 PM

No leadership what so ever.

In other news ...

Dec 8, 2010, 7:56 PM

Clemson will continue to suck. In everything.

Translation....

Dec 8, 2010, 8:06 PM

We (BOT, Prez & AD) will continue doing exactly what we want to do because we know that the loyal Clemson fans will continue to pour money into our program and attend games!!!

We (BOT, Prez & AD) only wanted to make it appear that we cared!!!

His investigation was as thorough as our FB coaching search***

Dec 8, 2010, 8:30 PM

Re: His investigation was as thorough as our FB coaching search***

Dec 8, 2010, 11:24 PM

That's just funny!

Re: His investigation was as thorough as our FB coaching search***

Dec 9, 2010, 10:04 AM [ in reply to His investigation was as thorough as our FB coaching search*** ]

hahahahahahaha

Re: Phillips must have the goods on Barfer and the BOTs

Dec 8, 2010, 8:33 PM

concerning Eugene Troutman (http://clemsonlawsuit.com)

Yet, he's still a slime bag for looking after his own @$$. If it were me, I'd let them fire me, then drop the bomb on them.

Re: Phillips must have the goods on Barfer and the BOTs

Dec 8, 2010, 9:09 PM

The ONLY message that these egomaniacs will understand is financial impingement (forget our opinions, observations, wishes, hopes and suggestions on this or any site)...period. I know it pains us all to consider this drastic action, but cease & desist your IPTAY, Season Tickets/Parking passes, Scholarship funds...everything! When the revenue stream drops measurably, then the BOT's will get really nervous, and thus look to make top level adjustments...that is the ONLY mechanism that will get their attention.

My family has had season tickets since 1963, and we make annual contributions to CU, and have three family CU graduates...today may be as dark a day in modern CU history as one could ever imagine, and we as a family will withold all financial, and we will not support these shallow, ill advised, subversive decisions...call it TOUGH LOVE.

Unbelievable...need to mentally check out for 10 more years***

Dec 8, 2010, 9:45 PM

It is clear to me now....

Dec 8, 2010, 9:50 PM

We have a president that wants our athletic programs "to be in the top 25". I remember a time that a top 25 ranking in football was a given and a ranking in the top 15 was frequent and expected. Now our goal is "to be in the top 25." No wonder we have athletic director that hires for and tolerates mediocre results. As a result, the entire fan base has lowered its expectations and we continue to decline in athletics as a whole. But we are a "Top 20 University" according to a magazine. Doesn't that make you proud?

EXACTLY. "Top 25" good enough to keep you donating.***

Dec 8, 2010, 11:40 PM

My Reaction: Disgusted...done ever giving a cent to CU

Dec 8, 2010, 10:08 PM

I'm done with Clemson until the leadership changes. Full blown boycott is on. I wish the best for the players, but to hell with the coaches, AD, President, and BOT. They are a cancer to this university.

Re: My Reaction: Disgusted...done ever giving a cent to CU

Dec 8, 2010, 10:11 PM

i take it you dont order tickets or dont like your seats. you must not give much or you would not be giving up good seats. good luck on getting good seats when it does turn around.

I would rather see...

Dec 8, 2010, 11:28 PM

an 11-1 team from the upper deck than the hot mess Dapier puts on the field from up close... wouldn't you? At this point, giving up your seats seems like a benefit.

I'll take 12-0 from my sofa, I'm not picky.***

Dec 9, 2010, 9:48 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2010, 11:01 PM [ in reply to My Reaction: Disgusted...done ever giving a cent to CU ]

It's just hard to come up with a valid term that describes your post...immature, stupid...I just don't know. Have you checked out the recruits we have coming next year? Do you not think that the coaches, etc have some impact on that? Are you so savvy that you know we cannot succeed? Do you not see the value of having a defensive coach the likes of dan Brooks on our staff, as well as others?

I think you should simply give up on Clemson. You obviously are just too wise to fool around here any longer. Keep your $$ and go spend it on something that means more to you.

Dec 8, 2010, 11:32 PM

That's the kind of heavy load that can break a colt's spirit right out of the gate.

The fact is that we shouldn't be in a position where we HOPE an incoming recruiting class is going make an immediate impact.

Yes, you look for a few freshmen every year to hit the ground running, primarily those that were team leaders and spent four years in a program that runs a similar scheme.

I think we may be asking a bit much of a class fresh off the farm.

Dec 9, 2010, 10:26 AM

I agree...not saying we should put the load on an incoming class, but the way to build a good program is to be able to recruit these players for development.

I would say that our staff does a pretty consistent job of getting quality kids who are also good athletes...so all I'm saying is they must be doing something right.

Now, all we need to do is get the offensive coaching staff to develop these players and perform as well as the defensive staff does, and I think we'll be okay.

Dec 9, 2010, 7:52 PM

I'm done with IPTAY too. I'd rather spend the money on my kids.

Clemson already has superior talent. Why expect improvement?

Dec 8, 2010, 11:56 PM [ in reply to Re: My Reaction: Disgusted...done ever giving a cent to CU ]

Bowden and Dabo have regularly had highly ranked recruits but they've underperformed for years relative to the player-talent. Check out the following link that shows how Clemson has more recrited talent than any team in the Atlantic (with the possible exception of FSU). If you peruse that same website for the pre-game recruiting comparisons each week of the season, you'll find that Clemson had superior player-talent to every opponent except Auburn & Miami. (FSU is about equivalent.)
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/8/1862801/recruiting-comparison-the-acc-atlantic

Yet Clemson lost to 3 teams with inferior talent on the field (BC, UNC, & SCar). The problem isn't the recruiting. It's the head coach's personnel decisions, the poor offensive game-planning, and the poor offensive play-calling. A top-tier head coach and a top-tier OC would do a lot more for Clemson than another top 25 recruiting class.

Can you explain why Dabo does less with more? Can you explain why you think that Dabo will succeed by having another good recruiting class when he hasn't been able to succeed with one of the most talented teams in the ACC?

Re: Clemson already has superior talent. Why expect improvement?

Dec 9, 2010, 12:28 PM

I believe the problems of the past 10 years have had a lot to do with recruiting. Yes, we did a great job of getting the highly rated skill position players (Spiller etc.)but we never recruited the all important big lineman we needed to knock the defenders on their @$$ and make holes for those skill players. Imagine how unstoppable CJ would have been behind a quality O-line. On offense, we put the cart before the horse big time. On defense, at one time we were thought of as the "linebacker U" of the South. We need to focus on getting that back most of all.

Yes, but Bowden did better recruiting OLs than Dabo has done

Dec 9, 2010, 1:31 PM

I agree that Bowden (and Dabo) placed too much emphasis on recruiting great RBs and not enough on recruiting great OLs to block for the RBs. But that problem has gotten worse under Dabo. If you look back a few years on the Rivals site at Clemson's OL recruits you'll see...

Bowden 2007: 1x4-star & 3x3-star
Bowden 2008: 3x4-star & 1x3-star
TB/Dab 2009: 2x4-star & 0x3-star (weird transition class)
Dabo S 2010: 0x4-star & 3x3-star
Dabo S 2011: 0x4-star & 3x3-star (verbal commits so far)

Re: Yes, but Bowden did better recruiting OLs than Dabo has done

Dec 9, 2010, 2:01 PM

I agree with you. I'm not defending Dabo. If he doesn't fix this problem his time here will be short (or not if Der Barker so decrees). I do think we are reestablishing toughness under Dabo/Steele. The commentators in the Auburn/Clemson game said several times that it was one of the hardest hitting games they had seen in a while.

And the common denominator? Brad Worthless Scott***

Dec 9, 2010, 2:02 PM

they have talent now and can 't win,***

Dec 9, 2010, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: My Reaction: Disgusted...done ever giving a cent to CU ]

WE ARE SCEWED!!!!!! BYE BYE, Athletics***

Dec 8, 2010, 10:10 PM

"Barker conducted a private evaluation of Phillips," I'm

Dec 8, 2010, 11:16 PM

sorry, but that's just nasty.....

No good deed goes unpunished.....

Keep donating and they'll keep spitting on you & laughing.***

Dec 9, 2010, 12:02 AM

Re: Keep donating and they'll keep spitting on you & laughing.***

Dec 9, 2010, 2:02 AM

Any other time, I would say you're right on, on it this time. But I don't think that is the case with the BOT's concers over the state of our Tiger program. I have to beleive for the sake of our once proud to be a Tiger program....

All talk, no action. Congrats TDP on turning Tigers into pussycats.

Dec 9, 2010, 12:39 AM

:(

Dec 9, 2010, 8:13 AM

Keep the Faith. Continue to be All IN

Why does TDP have an Auburn key neck strap?***

Dec 9, 2010, 8:41 AM

Re: Why does TDP have an Auburn key neck strap?***

Dec 9, 2010, 8:43 AM

my guess is he as at the auburn game. just a guess.

nope, that was clemson basketball last week.***

Dec 9, 2010, 8:48 AM

"Very, Very Excited, Very, Very Proud" to be a TIGER!!

WHO POINTED THIS CRAP??????***

Dec 9, 2010, 8:55 AM

The death

Dec 9, 2010, 9:21 AM

of Clemson athletics....this means they have stated publically they do not care to be big time athletically...only middle level. I know what their words are BUT I SEE their ACTIONS...now it is time for them to SEE OURS!!!

bubber, you old coot, are you going to quit giving to the

Dec 9, 2010, 9:23 AM

gamecoot club to show unity ?

Looks like I might get better seats this year!!***

Dec 9, 2010, 9:32 AM

Yep. You can support mediocrity & watch them lose up close***

Dec 9, 2010, 11:18 AM

Dec 9, 2010, 9:35 AM

Insanity:

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

CLEMSON DOESNT CARE ABOUT ATHLETICS, PERIOD.***

Dec 9, 2010, 12:11 PM

personal interpretation

Dec 9, 2010, 12:44 PM

While “competitiveness” is a matter of personal bowel movements, I got a new car.

Dec 9, 2010, 12:56 PM

In the recent statement concerning Terry Don Phillips’ position as AD, President Jim Barker stated:

“Many people were disappointed with the football season this year, no one more so than the student-athletes and coaches themselves. I fully support our head coach and believe we have the elements in place to have a top-25 ranked football program, particularly when you look at the returning talent on the team and the quality of this year’s recruiting class.”

My question is this: Why are we, Clemson--who is known for our competitiveness—aspiring to just be ranked in the top 25?

The last time I checked, the top 25 does not equal wins nor championships. The current BCS rankings includes teams such as Hawaii and UCF in their top 25. I’m sorry, but Clemson has too much history, too much pride, and too much competetiveness to settle for just a top 25 ranking. Once again, the problem with our University’s athletics comes from the top. Clemson will be doomed for mediocrity as long as we have leaders who are content with settling for a top 25 ranking—just making it into the top 25. We need leaders who will cast a vision for competitiveness, wins, and championships. The players deserve better, the fans deserve better, the alumni deserve better—Clemson deserves better!

One BOT member reportedly said if people continue to buy tix

Dec 9, 2010, 1:10 PM

... then they won't do anything to improve the situation. They think that there's a vocal minority who write letters and complain but that those people and everyone else will still donate and buy season tickets, so they have no incentive to improve things.

He's probably right. They've got everyone by the balls, and they're just squeezing and laughing. The more you love the football team, the harder they squeeze. It's ironic... and sad.

It's also ironic that the only way to get them to improve things is to stop donating and buying season tickets.

Link ?***

Dec 9, 2010, 1:12 PM

Dec 9, 2010, 1:18 PM

The definition of "lunacy" - Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results...get used to the mediocrity!

Biggest Mistake since the firing of Danny Ford.***

Dec 9, 2010, 1:44 PM

This will prevent me from paying forward...

Dec 9, 2010, 1:47 PM

No way I will continue to support IPTAY. This administration keeps doing everything they can to push away supporters.

Fire Katie Hill and Phil Grayons, then we can talk about mending relationships.... these people do not care about the student-athlete, only the finances and personal gain.

AIM LOW!***

Dec 9, 2010, 10:03 PM

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic