Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Noel Johnson to transfer from Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Dec 2, 2010, 1:23 PM

Sophomore guard Noel Johnson has decided to transfer from Clemson, Clemson head coach Brad Brownell announced on Thursday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans***

Dec 2, 2010, 1:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

Crump I love the site and you man but....

Dec 2, 2010, 1:25 PM

...if you and B are going to double post wait for one with good news to do it. Assuming we all live long enough to ever have one with good news again. Double negatives are no fun. Thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 negatives make a positive. Duh.***

Dec 2, 2010, 1:26 PM

wow our sports programs have really turned into a joke

Dec 2, 2010, 1:27 PM

Sad thing is it looks like it is only going to get worse

in a couple years we'll be longing for these days....

Dec 2, 2010, 1:30 PM

....and referring to them as a golden age if we keep going like the last few weeks is. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: in a couple years we'll be longing for these days....

Dec 2, 2010, 1:31 PM

more bad news.

He looked like he could become a solid SG/SF IMO...

what have you seen from NJ that makes you think he'd become

Dec 2, 2010, 1:50 PM

a good SF/SG...he cant create anything off the dribble, he can't play defense, he looks lazy half the time he's out there, he's supposed to be an outstanding shooter but i thinkk he's 1 for 11 or 2 for 12 on the year or something like that...and something about him i just don't like his attitude and seems like his work ethic sucks..imho he is/will be a bust..but best of luck to him

Agreed, he looked kind of lax and wasn't developing. Think

Dec 2, 2010, 2:00 PM

we will be ok. Still wish him the best.

more like we'll look back on the

Dec 2, 2010, 1:36 PM [ in reply to in a couple years we'll be longing for these days.... ]

Bowden years as the glory days. Now thats scarry

at the rate we're going the DF years....

Dec 2, 2010, 1:40 PM

...will be just a memory in history books. the fan base will have died off or just wandered away seeking fulfillment and inner peace

Those were the best years of our lives at CU.***

Dec 2, 2010, 1:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i know. thats why i didnt even mention the ford years.

Dec 2, 2010, 2:52 PM [ in reply to at the rate we're going the DF years.... ]

I'm 30 and barely remember them. Not long before only the old folks do and they will be so fed up they wont care any more.

A joke? Your loyalty is the joke...and your knowledge of

Dec 2, 2010, 2:09 PM [ in reply to wow our sports programs have really turned into a joke ]

Athletic direction. Stupid posts like that are what make this board unbearable in tough times. To think because a player (who obviously doesn't fit the new system) transfers after a new coach is hired warrants "joke" comments is absurd...and irritating. Every booger eating poster on this site thinks they know how to do someone elses job better when the truth is they probably can't even do theirs worth a dang. New coaches ALWAYS need time to implement THEIR players and THEIR system. Get back off the ledge or just freaking jump already. The whining is ruining one of my favorite places to kill time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

shut up***

Dec 2, 2010, 2:54 PM

Re: A joke? Your loyalty is the joke...and your knowledge of

Dec 2, 2010, 5:57 PM [ in reply to A joke? Your loyalty is the joke...and your knowledge of ]

Thank you. And... AMEN, BROTHER!

you can shut up too***

Dec 2, 2010, 6:49 PM

Baseball team did get to the championship game, guess that

Dec 2, 2010, 2:18 PM [ in reply to wow our sports programs have really turned into a joke ]

doesn't count.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it really doesn't because we got our ##### beat by

Dec 2, 2010, 2:48 PM

our worst enemy in the same, let me repeat, SAME scenario as in 2002.

But you can celebrate that "victory" all you want.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Fire TDP***

Dec 2, 2010, 1:52 PM

Why would he quit in the middle of the season?

Dec 2, 2010, 2:02 PM

And he says that he wishes his "team mates" nothing but the best

That's a good point

Dec 2, 2010, 2:12 PM

seems like he's a quitter to me. Might as well finish the season and transfer when the year is done. That way you have a full year of playing.

he wants to transfer for the spring...

Dec 2, 2010, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Why would he quit in the middle of the season? ]

I think that means he would be eligible to play 2nd semester next year.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: he wants to transfer for the spring...***

Dec 2, 2010, 2:16 PM

Re: he wants to transfer for the spring...***

Dec 2, 2010, 2:18 PM

If that is the case the that would make sense - just sucks he is gone

Re: Why would he quit in the middle of the season?

Dec 2, 2010, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Why would he quit in the middle of the season? ]

OK Somebody help me out here. Why does it suck that he is leaving. Our basketball team is weak and needs to find dome people who want to lay it on the line. This guy did not contribute much while he was here:

"Johnson appeared in all 39 games over his two seasons with the Clemson program, averaging 4.4 points per game. This season, he appeared in all seven games with one start and averaged 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds per game"

You mean to tell me that we will miss that kind of production? We have non-scholarship guys on campus that have enough heart and ability to make that kind of contribution. If that's all he's got then let him go and put someone out there's whose hungry.

Great point, In almost every case I'd take heart over talent

Dec 2, 2010, 3:00 PM

any day.

Sometimes you get a player that has both, ie CJ Spiller.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

This will hurt us for the next 2 years

Dec 2, 2010, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Why would he quit in the middle of the season? ]

I will grant you that he was not the greatest player on the team.. But he was an ok player. So with this in mind, I believe this loss hurts us for the next 3 years.

It will hurt us first this year. We lost a semi experienced player that can come off the bench, play some defense, and contribute offensively. We are not going to find a player down at fike that can replace him this season.. At the end of the day going 4 for 4 at fike is not the same as going through a full 16 game conference schedule with trips to the ACC and NCAA tournment..

Second, It will hurt us next year. Leadership (Juniors and Seniors) will be lacking. Next year we have the following scholarship Juniors and Seniors:

Devin Booker C/F
Milton Jennings F
Brian Narcise F
Tanner Smith G
Andre Young G
Catalin Baciu (BoBo) C

Technically we have 6 scholarship players. On the surface it sounds like we have good balance... But in reality, its not. BoBo and Brian have not played all that much.. Brian does have good energy, but he is far from an offensive threat. And unless something changes this season I dont see him or Bobo being solid players that can give you 20-28 mintues a game. I hope I am wrong.

But finally, in year 3, this is when it will really hurt the most. Our leadership players will be Devin, Milton, and Corey. 3 scholarship Junior / Senior Players.. That is not good. Corey will be the only guard in that group. And unless we get some solid guards in the next recruiting class, you can almost certainly predict a sub .500 conference record.

Granted this oppurtunity allows our coach to promise playing time to recruits. It might work. It might not. My guess is that the basketball team is going to have to go through a major plunge before we start to get better. I hope our coach, AD, and fans are up for it because it is certainly going to be an ugly 3~4 years for Tiger Bball. (ps.. I HOPE I AM WRONG!)

Go Tigers

LNT

Agree 100%

Dec 5, 2010, 12:52 PM

For all the Noel Johnson bashers out here, I think the real test will be where he ends up at his next stop. There's enough film on him from last year and 6 or 7 games this year for other coaches to evaluate his worthiness. I think shooters are hard to come by these days and he'll have opportunities at programs that are at least as good as Clemson. Only time will tell, but I'm willing to bet that the end of his career will show better stats than the beginning.

There are no Noel Johnsons patrolling the courts at Fike or anywhere else where we could get them on the team this year or next.

Get ready for a re-run of the Shyatt years

Dec 2, 2010, 3:19 PM

We brought in one recruit this year

We are bringing in two recruits in 2011

We graduate two seniors, and have had two players transfer.

We will only have 9 players on scholarship next year (and that includes glorified water boys Baciu and Narcisse)

Smith
Young
Baciu
Narcisse
Jennings
Booker
Stanton
Sullivan (2011 recruit)
Sapp (2011 recruit)

It is going to be a rough couple of years on the hardwood

Looks kinda lean, maybe need some JC Transfers.....***

Dec 2, 2010, 3:32 PM

Re: Get ready for a re-run of the Shyatt years

Dec 2, 2010, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Get ready for a re-run of the Shyatt years ]

This is exactly what I am thinking. When a "new" head coach looses more than 5 players in a season, that is not good. This year with player transfers and graduation, we have 6 players that have left or/are leaving. That is more than 1/2 the team..

Our fans are going to have to shut up and swallow this for the next 3-4 years (not our strong suit). Because unless even if our coach turns out to be a great recruiter, it is going to take him some time to get this under control...

I hate to sound like the sky is falling, but I just dont see any way around a severe implosion of our basketball team right now. (Again, I hope I am wrong)

Go Tigers.
LNT

you lost me at "looses"***

Dec 5, 2010, 12:29 PM

Hope he doesnt bring in a Braddick, Baines, Gilmore type

Dec 2, 2010, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Get ready for a re-run of the Shyatt years ]

recruting class to follow.

#### that is painful to look at***

Dec 2, 2010, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Get ready for a re-run of the Shyatt years ]

Why do players leave?

Dec 2, 2010, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Get ready for a re-run of the Shyatt years ]

Might it just be that OP left knowing the players he brought in were not going to be able to play at the level required to compete in the ACC? Did we recruit the wrong players? If we keep guys that cant play we still lose regardless so let them go.

We have some definite needs but I like what coach is doing. Build now for tomorrow. Dont get caught up in how many scholarship players we have (or dont have) and whether it hurts us 3 years from now. Lets find the guys who want to wear the paw with pride and get behind them.

I personally never thought much of the OP style and seeing what he left behind proves that point. It's just not sustainable and he obviously couldn't get the type of players into school that he needed to run his system. Figure that one out.

BB seems to be a winner but you can only work with the hand you are given for now and is players dont want to play for him they need to leave. That staff has a much better handle on the players than we all do and may actually be relieved that some of them are leaving. Either way, you aren't going to win long term if you ahve to baby sit and tip toe around guys who dont wnat to be here. Mcihigan beat us with how many freshman and you are worried about leadership. WHere's the hustle? We cant lose like that at home!!!

Re: Why do players leave?

Dec 2, 2010, 4:58 PM

Excellent post Mctiggrr. I certainly don't mind posts that are based on emotion, but they should also be based using the old gray matter along with the emotion. I think you are right on point regarding what is going on there. Trying to judge what his plans are based on what has happened to this point make no sense to me. BB is doing the best he can with the cards that he was dealt. He can't all of a sudden make guys that can't shoot, become great perimeter shooters. What he is going to do is make them play hard and I like him challenging them after the Michigan game - he let them know that the effort was not acceptable.

You are right on OP too! Liked him a bunch, but I think he knew that ultimately he would hit sa plateau - or may have alrday hit it!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OP would win with this team.And he would have had Thorton***

Dec 3, 2010, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Why do players leave? ]

Re: OP would

Dec 4, 2010, 1:29 PM

The thoughts of a depression in CU basketball are well founded.This again points to the fact that
TDP was out of touch with OP.
if we loose Leggett maybe everyone will wake up and come to realize the problem ar CU could well be above the coaching level. The loss of OP was huge and I agree it will take several recruiting classes to right the ship. I hope the players come together now and get behind their coach. Focus on getting well over .500 in the ACC as basketball looks to be just like our division in football - everyone is beatable

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

If the players stayed for OP. BB has implied the team was

Dec 5, 2010, 12:59 PM [ in reply to OP would win with this team.And he would have had Thorton*** ]

VERY unhappy at the time he arrived. Seemingly, several players were ready to leave even had OP stayed. Among them, Noel and Booker. So I'm not so sure we would have been good had OP stayed and probably THAT factored into his decision to leave.

Way to stick it out!***

Dec 2, 2010, 4:17 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic