Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offensive inconsistency in red zone frustrates Napier
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Oct 30, 2010, 5:36 PM

The Clemson Tigers have not scored an offensive touchdown in the past two games against Boston College, and offensive coordinator Billy Napier said the lack of execution in the red zone is frustrating. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry but Napier does not know what he is doing.

Oct 30, 2010, 5:37 PM

His play calling is pretty predictable. Sometimes he looks great sometimes he looks foolish. Sick of losing every year. Clemson football of the past 2 decades @ its finest.

Billy Napier frustrates the entire Clemson fan base***

Oct 30, 2010, 5:38 PM

Napier frustrates clemsontyger***

Oct 30, 2010, 5:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I have to do a better job as a coach

Oct 30, 2010, 5:41 PM

of putting our players in a position to be successful"

Too late buddy.

Good luck at your next job. I hope you get more experience and turn out to be a badass coordinator some day... too bad it's not today.

Heard this waayyy too much from him this year***

Oct 30, 2010, 11:05 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Napier frustrates Biguns***

Oct 30, 2010, 5:41 PM

He should be frustrated ...

Oct 30, 2010, 5:44 PM

trying to be an OC!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He should be frustrated ...

Oct 30, 2010, 5:49 PM

Hey, Napier is now one of us? He does not understand this, and does not understand that and is criticizing the QB...he takes no responsibility for this humiliation of the Clemson football program. He is accountable...no touchdowns because they ran a 3 man front? This guy is a joke and we are in trouble....he better think of something p;retty quick...he as was Dabo and Steele were exposed for the joke they are...the NCAA nation is not laughing with us, they are all laughing at us

Your coaching abilities frustrate Tiger fans!!***

Oct 30, 2010, 5:57 PM

Re: Offensive inconsistency in red zone frustrates Napier

Oct 30, 2010, 6:03 PM

It's clear to me that both Dabo & Napier continue to be in way over their heads. It's also clear to me that neither one is a quick study. They've learned little since assuming their positions. Make no mistake, BC is a bad team and so are we.

How many times have we heard this from Dabo and Napier?

Oct 30, 2010, 6:06 PM

"I have to do a better job..."

"I have to coach him...better."

It's like these guys attended a corporate executive forum - acknowledge your mistakes and move on.

I want accountability. You two are clearly not getting the job done. The question is, will anyone at Clemson hold them accountable for their performance?

It is amazing to me that these two men can perform their jobs so poorly and still show up to collect a paycheck.

Re: How many times have we heard this from Dabo and Napier?

Oct 30, 2010, 7:34 PM

100% accurate. Took the words out of my mouth.

I see everyone wants to throw Napier under the bus

Oct 30, 2010, 6:08 PM

without even considering the fact that it was Dabo who hired Napier, and it is Dabo who overrules Napier and calls plays Napier didn't call. Sheeple I tell ya, sheeple

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wasn't a good position coach either.***

Oct 30, 2010, 6:08 PM

I'm not a huge Napier fan

Oct 30, 2010, 6:09 PM

but I don't think he is the major problem here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is he, or is he not, the QB coach in addition to OC?

Oct 30, 2010, 6:12 PM

No, he's not the only problem, but he's a problem.

I agree, trust me. Earlier this year I blamed him 100%

Oct 30, 2010, 6:14 PM

but since then I've learned of the dual playcalling responsibilities and the lack of a search for any other OC. Dabo hired him so he could control him, so the bulk of the blame goes to Dabo.

The bulk of the blame goes to Terry Don Phillips.

Oct 30, 2010, 6:17 PM

For hiring a coach that is in way over his head.

A lot of people called this from day one. You don't promote a WR coach to head coach.

There is that.

Oct 30, 2010, 6:18 PM

You are correct

Re: The bulk of the blame goes to Terry Don Phillips.

Nov 1, 2010, 8:07 AM [ in reply to The bulk of the blame goes to Terry Don Phillips. ]

Hiring an inexperienced HC.....I can let that go

Then NOT letting him hire his first choice in DC......Johnson....that resulted in an inexperienced DC.

Then letting him hire an inexperienced OC.

This all points to the AD and then the board for not being committed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: He wasn't a good position coach either.***

Oct 31, 2010, 12:01 PM [ in reply to He wasn't a good position coach either.*** ]

you talking about Napier or Dabo there?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Napier. He is the QB coach in addition to the OC.***

Oct 31, 2010, 12:16 PM

speculation....

Oct 30, 2010, 6:09 PM [ in reply to I see everyone wants to throw Napier under the bus ]

that MAY be the case, but we have absolutely no indication that's the case.

If Napier IS being overruled, HE should sack up and say 'Hey! I'M getting blamed for this, you either let me call the plays or come out and tell people that this is YOUR hot garbage on the field!!!'.

Napier isn't the beginning and end of our problems, but he's certainly not helping.

Don't be so quick to fault Napier

Oct 30, 2010, 6:11 PM

He was the OC at SC State, so unlike the HC he has some experience.

I have said this before 9and am not the only one saying it), This offense does not look like the one run at SC State. It does not look like the one run at Furman. It looks like an offense a half-a$$ wide receivers coach would run.

Remember the much publicized fight after the Maryland game last year between the HC and his OC? I guess in the end the HC won - and Clemson lost.

Seems like Dabo learned from Tommy

Oct 30, 2010, 6:16 PM

1) hire an OC that you can control
2) meddle in the playcalling
3) throw the OC under the bus after an unsuccessful year
4) ???
5) Profit

Re: Don't be so quick to fault Napier

Oct 30, 2010, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Don't be so quick to fault Napier ]

Who coaches the wide receivers? There is no excuse for them not coming back to the ball and getting open when a QB is given that much time. It's like they run their routes, and if the ball doesn't come to them, they just stop. They need better coaching too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2010, 12:05 PM

you said it. every wr worth anything knows they have to "come back" when the qb starts scrambling. Our wr's act like their job is done once they run their route.

Oct 31, 2010, 12:09 PM

oh and one mopre thing. when we had 4th and 7 and ran a 6 yard route, i had to look to see if tommy bowden and rob spence were back on the sideline.

poor effort and poor results.

uhh..he never called a game at SC state...

Oct 30, 2010, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Don't be so quick to fault Napier ]

he was gonna be the OC but tommy called him up and he left he never called a game as OC at SC state..i bet the SC state coaches watch clemson games and say thank god he left.

is this guy serious????

Oct 30, 2010, 6:17 PM

"We didn't rush the ball effectively and that limited our effectiveness. At times we rushed it well but got behind the chains in the red area. We can play better across the board. I don't think it's any one area. I have to do a better job of managing our coaches and players. It falls on me ultimately to be more productive."

hard to be effective when every time we get some momentum running the ball you Mr. Numb nuts has to go back to the pass.

Oct 30, 2010, 9:29 PM

For the past six weeks I have been adamant about the focus of Kyle Parker.Today was the clincher! No offense! Defense accounts for only TD! WOW! Kyle "The Wuss" Parker is no leader. The players know it. The fans see it. The Press ignores it. The coaches must be on prosaic not to be aware of it.

This year has been a disgrace. The media hyped Parker to be Clemson's hope after Spiller. He has been their despair. Time to send him to the baseball diamond. That is where his heart, and his game appear to be.

For crying out loud, Dabo, even Weber ST. scored 20 points! Get real or get out! This is division 1 football! if you can't use them after recruiting them, stick to recruiting. Leave the Head Coaching to someone who has a head and can coach!

Oct 30, 2010, 10:01 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. KP played a #### poor game today. He ducked out of the pocket when he had absolutely no pressure to do so and made terrible decisions with his throws. If he couldn't find an open receiver he should have at least run forward.
No soup for you...NEXT!!!

GO TIGERS

Dabo - you are dead to me!

Oct 30, 2010, 9:54 PM

Take your money and go!

Dabo has to fire Napier (for next season)

Oct 30, 2010, 10:53 PM

If he wants to keep his job. He has to pull a Bowden to buy more time. He had the balls to fire Spence... He has to either fire or downgrade Napier.

Napier is just inexperienced. He's not a bad OC... I'd take him over Spence any day. He's just green.

Just Green? We deserve better than GREEN!!***

Oct 31, 2010, 10:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Oct 30, 2010, 11:04 PM

It's time to discreetly start the coaching search. Dabo is a good man, a first rate recruiter, a motivated and ambitious assistant coach, and like T. West not up to managing a $46 million dollar business (Clemson 2008-09 football income). The mailroom clerk to CEO fairy tale is apparently as unlikely in college football as it would be in Fortune 50 companies. Just like Danica, Dabo looks good behind the wheel, says the right things, has a strong team ... yet lacks the game day coaching skill set and experiece to be a winner.

Against the #4 run-D & #80 pass-D, what would you do?

Oct 31, 2010, 12:03 AM

BC had the #4 ranked run-D in the country and the #80 ranked pass-D. So I would have expected Dabo/Napier to pass early and often, using the pass to set up the occasional run. But prior to the last 2 desperation drives (of obviuosly all passes) here's what they did that seemed to put the offense in a bind.

On 1st down:
Clemson rushed 67% (14-of-21) for 3.9 YPC.
They got behind the chains and put Clemson in obvious passing situations.
BC dropped 8-9 into coverage.
So Clemson failed to convert 70% of the 3rd down passes (with 1 interception).
Clemson picked up one rushing 1st down.

What happened on the 33% (7-of-21) times that Clemson threw on 1st down?
Clemson had a 71% completion ratio.
Clemson averaged 11 yards per attempt.
Clemson picked up two 1st downs.

I would have expected Dabo/Napier to look at how BC's non-cupcake opponents put up points on BC this year. For example, NCSU put up the most points on BC (30 points) with a 2:1 pass-to-run ratio, including 76% passes on 1st down. VT put up the fewest points on BC (19 points) and passed 53% of the time, including 29% on 1st down.

Apparently they thought it would be better to emulate the teams that put up the fewest points. I don't get it. Clemson's coaches just seem weak at game-planning and play-calling.

right now I'd hire you as the OC...

Oct 31, 2010, 12:05 AM

you break down a game better than the clowns we've got

Great post. Funny if it wasn't so obvious and sad!***

Oct 31, 2010, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Against the #4 run-D & #80 pass-D, what would you do? ]

Oct 31, 2010, 12:05 PM

The frustration shouldn't be so much with Napier. It is much more the inability of our offensive line to open a hole. The lack of rush success is directly a result of not being able to block the guys in front of the OL, PERIOD, end of story. Our OL has been pretty pitiful at run-blocking for many years, and it isn't getting any better. I do fault Dabo for keeping the source of those problems around, and it is Brad Scott. Napier trying to call run plays into brick walls isn't smart, but if there were some open holes, we could rush. If we could rush, it would open up some passing opportunities. Then the receivers would need to get open, and KP would have to be able to see them and throw the ball before it is too late o make the play, but at least it would open the offense up.

Does anybody think that we couldn't hire a better HC? Why?***

Oct 31, 2010, 2:08 PM

Re: Offensive inconsistency in red zone frustrates ME!

Oct 31, 2010, 2:19 PM

Fire Napier, Steele and bench Karla Parker!

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic