Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ellington climbing in ACC and national rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Oct 24, 2010, 2:21 PM

Clemson running back Andre Ellington now leads the ACC in all-purpose yards, and is also in the Top 10 nationally in scoring. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ellington climbing in ACC and national rankings

Oct 24, 2010, 3:17 PM

Which makes me ask: Why isn't he on the field EVERY time we have the ball?

Example: Can anybody tell me who Raymond Preister's backup was? How about Deangelo Williams at Memphis? Tommy West didn't know much about coaching, but at least he rode his thoroughbreds heavy until he had to put in someone else.

Come on, now............

Oct 24, 2010, 3:33 PM

Look at the folks you're comparing Andre's physical stature to----Priester and Williams were both linebackers running the ball..........Ellington's pushing 195#....he's not built to run the ball 30 times per game

The punishment of being tackled constantly and having those huge linemen fall on you takes its toll...I actually enjoy watching #23 get a good rest and be ready to rock in the 4thQ when all the defenses are exhausted and have to chase him.....

and besides.....Harper's no slouch

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liked the trade-off yesterday where AE dominated carries

Oct 24, 2010, 5:01 PM

early in the game when everyone on both sides of the ball is fresh. Harper seemed to get more halfway through the 3rd and into the 4th, as the defense was starting to wear. Then a fresher AE comes in and by that point in the game he's unstoppable.

It was great to see us finally get some offensive tempo going. I sure hope they can keep it up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Come on, now............

Oct 24, 2010, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Come on, now............ ]

195? Id say he easily hits two bills. He is listed at 205 on the depth chart.

No reason he shouldnt be getting the ball 25 times a game MIN

CJ was smaller and got more touches

That is exactly right. Andre does no good on injured reserve

Oct 24, 2010, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Come on, now............ ]

Look at the coots. They have already gotten Lattimore hurt by giving his the ball 30+ time per game. Raymond Preister was a bruiser but was a slug compared to Ellington's speed and cutbacks.

He raises his hand to come out when he's tired.

Oct 24, 2010, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Ellington climbing in ACC and national rankings ]

That's one very good reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Ellington is 5th in TDs/carry, but 52nd in # of carries!

Oct 24, 2010, 4:46 PM

Among RBs, Andre Ellington's national rank is:
5th in rushing TDs/carry.
10th in TDs scored.
21st in yards per carry.

But thanks to our coaches Ellington is:
52nd in number of carries.
43rd in carries per game.
35th in yards per game.

Ellington is averaging 6.3YPC.
Spiller averaged 5.6 YPC in 2009.
Harper is averaging 3.6 YPC.

Harper is not ranked in the top 100 in any category, but he is getting 40% of Clemson's carries.

235lb Harper is averaging 10 carries/game.
190lb Ellington is averaging 15 carries/game.
195lb LaMichael James (Oregon) is averaging 22 carries/game. (When he was needed in tough games, he rushed 31 times against Stanford, and 28 times against ASU.)
Oregon is undefeated and ranked #1.
Clemson is thrice defeated and unranked.

Makes me wonder where Clemson would be ranked if we had a coaching staff like Oregon.

I think Clemson would have 2-3 fewer losses this season if the coaches had run Ellington more (and especially more than Harper).

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2010&rpt=IA_playerrush&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Great assessment, Razz! Thanks for that.***

Oct 24, 2010, 7:49 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

That is good info, and I agree the coaches made a mistake

Oct 24, 2010, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Ellington is 5th in TDs/carry, but 52nd in # of carries! ]

in the UNC game giving Ellington too few touches. 5 more carries for Ellington and we probably win that game. However, a 2 back system is a great idea for a team that doesn't throw well (ie Clemson). If opponents just stack the line and pound Ellington, he will not last long. Harper gives him breaks and keeps him fresh. Plus, our opponents know Harper is a receiving threat and he is a good blocker.

Comparing us to Oregon is not fair, though. Oregon plays NO ONE, and if we had their schedule, we'd be 7-0 or 6-1, no problem.

Re: That is good info, and I agree the coaches made a mistake

Oct 24, 2010, 11:13 PM

You more than the previous poster hit the nail square on the head. Folks keep comparing what we do compared to what other teams do. Teams like Oregon, Boise, TCU don't play a grinding hard nose schedule, weeek in and week out. And most answer will be that the ACC isn't that tough. That maybe true, but its tougher than the southern, wac, and the like. If we were to run AE 30 carries a game,`we would see Harper taking all the snaps b/c, AE would be out beat up and injuied. Then everybody woiuld be pissing and moaning about the over use of AE by the staff....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oregon's SOS=59. Clemson=57. How about Robinson?

Oct 25, 2010, 2:52 AM

I only chose Oregon's LaMichael James as an example because he's at the top of the NCAA's leader board and he's about the same weight as Ellington, yet Oregon's coaches aren't afraid to give him a lot more carries than Ellington.

Oregon's Sagarin Strength of Schedule rank (59) is very nearly that of Clemson's (57) so I don't think it's reasonable to say that Oregon's running backs take less of a pounding in the Pac-10 against teams like Stanford, USC, Arizona, Oregon St, Cal, et al.

But even if you think the Pac-10 is wimpy, there are several more examples of running backs on the leader board who are about Ellington's size who are getting more carries. Some examples follow. (I ignored RBs from The Big East, WAC, MWC and other weaker conferences.)

Carries per game:
190lb Andre Ellington (Clemson): 15
193lb Denard Robinson (Michigan): 20
197lb Kendall Hunter (Okla St.): 23
198lb Jonathan Franklin (UCLA): 19
191lb Jacquizz Rogers (Oregon St.): 24
200lb Montel Harris (Boston College): 21

I think it's safe to say that Ellington could get a few more carries per game than our coaches are willing to give him.

Who would you compare Ellington to?

Oct 24, 2010, 5:29 PM

any team,any player
I almost,almost wanna compare him to Terry Allen(AE)

-what about Nuke Hopkins? I almost see Aaron Kelly here.

thoughts.

Nuke is nuke

Oct 24, 2010, 5:32 PM

He will be one of the best WR's we have ever seen here at Clemson before its all said and done.

Local boy does good***

Oct 24, 2010, 5:33 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly and Hopkins

Oct 24, 2010, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Nuke is nuke ]

both have good height.(tall and linky)
Both have good hands.
Both have very good leaping ability
Both have avg speed.
Styles are very simular...#21

Re: Kelly and Hopkins

Oct 24, 2010, 6:54 PM

Aaron Kelly had good hands????

Solid first post. You'll fit in well here.***

Oct 24, 2010, 7:21 PM

Re: Solid first post. You'll fit in well here.***

Oct 24, 2010, 11:20 PM

His next one will be, but he did push off in the game with the gamecocks....

From somebody that coached Nuke....

Oct 24, 2010, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Kelly and Hopkins ]

They are 2 TOTALLY different players. Aaron Kelly wasn't a "go getter" from a ball skills standpoint. Nuke will out jump people to get the ball, Kelly never did that. Nuke will also make people miss after the catch with moves, Kelly never did that. Nuke also has 100x better hands that Kelly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I respectfully disagree..

Oct 30, 2010, 9:56 AM

they are very simular,thx.

:)

Should be #1 for ACC Player of the Year

Oct 24, 2010, 8:10 PM

but it is the ACC so who knows

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno...he and Da'Quan might split the voters....***

Oct 24, 2010, 8:37 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2010, 9:03 PM

Most Tiger fans are on same page ... AE is special. Tigers probably 1 loss team with more AE carries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2010, 11:22 PM

Was B and Crump running a special on NEW feather enrollments !!!

Oct 24, 2010, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Ellington climbing in ACC and national rankings ]

Harper has got talent. And two good backs are way more effective than one no matter how much of a stud he is. But for some reason he has refused to acknowledge the type of back he is until this past weekend. Now I agree with trying to work Harper in with a pretty even workload split at the beginning of the season. I also agree with most fans that say the coaching staff rode that strategy too long after it was evident that Harper wasn't being effective. However, I would have no problem with trying to get Harper a decent amount of carries against BC based on his performance this past Saturday. I think 60-40 Ellington might be a little to much, but 70-30 might not be enough for Harper so let's go with 65-35. But if Harper reverts back to Captain Stutterstep, then ride the guy with the hot hand...er...feet.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic