Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hopkins, Brown, McNeal and Jones to carry the load against the Heels
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Oct 4, 2010, 5:29 PM

Wide receivers coach Jeff Scott confirmed on Monday that DeAndre Hopkins, Jaron Brown, Bryce McNeal and Marquan Jones will get the bulk of the work when Clemson travels to Chapel Hill to take on North Carolina Saturday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hopkins, Brown, McNeal and Jones to carry the load against the Heels

Oct 4, 2010, 5:46 PM

if your gonna start freshman recievers, you might as well give that freshman QB a chance as well, whats the difference, he had 3 TD's in 1 game in 2 Quarters.

Although Parker made enough TO's to last the rest of the

Oct 4, 2010, 6:05 PM

season....he is generally really smart with the ball. I think we see how it goes the first quarter at upchuckhole

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Yeah, playing against C-Team players from crappy confs....***

Oct 5, 2010, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Hopkins, Brown, McNeal and Jones to carry the load against the Heels ]

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.***

Oct 4, 2010, 5:49 PM

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About time!***

Oct 4, 2010, 5:53 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has Dye re-quit again yet?***

Oct 4, 2010, 5:53 PM

ouch I can't believe someone didn't post.....

Oct 4, 2010, 6:43 PM

....something about being sad he came back too. Figures someone here would.

I like the older guys to play if they are using their experience to help. If its close and the young guys have an upside you may as well get them experience. I feel bad for older guys but at some point it is performance and not seniority based.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it should NEVER be seniority based. It should be talent

Oct 4, 2010, 10:10 PM

you put the best talent on the field no matter what yr they are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has Dye re-quit again yet?***

Oct 4, 2010, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Has Dye re-quit again yet?*** ]

Can you tell any difference from him quiting and the way he plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently, based on the last game.***

Oct 5, 2010, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Has Dye re-quit again yet?*** ]

Re: Has Dye re-quit again yet?***

Oct 5, 2010, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Has Dye re-quit again yet?*** ]

Unrealized potential. Dye and Korn both never made it happen. Time to move on from Dye unfortunately. I think Clemson has given him every possible opportunity. Not sure what the issue is but he has not made the step up and become the go to guy for what ever reason.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Oct 4, 2010, 6:21 PM

Really Jeff? You aren't throwing the seniors over the ledge? ... Was there even a point to such a nonsense statement? ... I dont blame players cuz they either have the skills or they dont. The coaches choose to put them in the game. Wow, I hope our announced starters (after four games) have separated themselves more than just "a little"... Unbelievable that they've played some of these guys for so long... Keep Ashe on the field for special teams but otherwise where was the evidence that most of the seniors deserved to be on the field at the start of the season? Where's the evidence that Jeff deserves to be their coach, for that matter? And Jeff claims that the guys who are gonna be sitting the bench no longer need to come in for extra WR study time? Worst article I think I've read on this site, and for once the article doesn't suck due to grammatical errors!

I never thought of that one

Oct 4, 2010, 11:30 PM

point to you.

scott says they need to be more agressive toward the ball....then says they don't need extra instruction.

Means one of two things to me.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 4, 2010, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Hopkins, Brown, McNeal and Jones to carry the load against the Heels ]

Most of you know I don't say much in the way of kicking our players nor our coaches. But I believe its more of a receivers coaching problem, than the receivers....

Hallelujah! There will be some growing pains but,

Oct 4, 2010, 6:27 PM

this is the right move. It might take a couple weeks but, this move will pay off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopkins is step up and his fumble was close to not even

Oct 4, 2010, 6:32 PM

being a catch. Defender played the ball nicely and got a little lucky with getting his hand in the play and on the ball. As he makes the tackle he just drives the ball out. Hopkins got those two steps in and therefore it was a fumble, but I thought it was close to being an incomplete pass. And that may have been the best ball KP threw all game. On the money, in stride, but the Miami defender made a great play.

that fumble was the biggest play of the game

Oct 4, 2010, 11:33 PM

and it was definitely a catch.

Re: that fumble was the biggest play of the game

Oct 5, 2010, 4:03 PM

Oh it was big and it was a catch, but it was close. He did get two steps in, I said that. I just mentioned it was close to being a non catch. In the NFL, that play would probably be reviewed.

At what point does the WR Cach/Recruiting coordinator take

Oct 4, 2010, 7:00 PM

responsibility for either A:recruiting 4 star WRs that cant beat out Ashe or B: His inability to "coach them up"? Why is it every year we struggle with WRs? Why is our best solution ALWAYS some cat coming in NEXT year? At some point Jeff is going to have to either START COACHING or(the TB solution) start recruiting players who can overcome his coaching defeciencies. And while we are at it... What coud he have possibly seen in MJ or XD to warrant playing as true FR instead of redshirting? Whoever made those decisions need to be fired.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At what point does the WR Cach/Recruiting coordinator take

Oct 4, 2010, 9:34 PM

Like father, like son. His Dad has failed at every turn, too, and nobody holds him accountable either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You two are dumber than a bag of hammers!!

Oct 4, 2010, 10:02 PM

It's talent (primarily), not coaching. Bryce McNeal + DeAndre Hopkins + Charone Peake will make Jeff look like a genius.

And speaking of Brad, he's looking like a pretty d**n good OL coach with his TALENT opening big holes for Ellington to run through.

Don't be idiots. It's ALL about the talent.

Not dumb enough to think the answer to our problems at

Oct 5, 2010, 12:38 AM

WR THIS year will be solved by signing someone NEXT year! He has had 2 offseasons to coach up current 4 star WRs or sign new ones to BEAT OUT(bless his heart)TERRANCE ASHE!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's the same with the OL... see the pattern of last names***

Oct 4, 2010, 10:12 PM [ in reply to At what point does the WR Cach/Recruiting coordinator take ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2010, 7:11 PM

Oh Hopkins and Brown have easily played the best at WR so far this year. I don't care if they're Fresh and Soph respectively, you put the best players on the field. Marquan has okay good but for some reason we never really get him the ball.

What took so long? Should have decided this before Auburn.***

Oct 4, 2010, 7:30 PM

Maybe you didn't read the article so I'll help . . .

Oct 4, 2010, 8:54 PM

Two months in the scheme and four games has also aided Hopkins in preparing for the start. He had three catches for 39 yards and a crucial fumble against the Canes, but Scott said Hopkins finally understands the offense.

“I think that’s a big part of it,” Scott said. “His ability has been there from the beginning. But as a coach, the biggest thing is his knowledge and comfort level in those types of games. Five weeks into it, including the open week, I think his knowledge is catching up with his ability.

I would imagine this stands true for the other younger players as well. You have to prove you understand the offense at game speed before you can be relied on as a starter.

I would imagine the coaches are as suprised as the rest of us that the seniors aren't making the plays like they should.

I'm as happy as you are that the guys that don't have butter fingers are getting the start though.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

I see. But fall camp, UNT, Presby, etc not enough to decide?

Oct 4, 2010, 11:21 PM

I got what Scott was saying about the younger guys needing time to develop, but after fall camp, UNT, and Preby, I'm just surprised that the coaches couldn't get it figured out before Auburn, or in the worst case, 2 weeks later before Miami. It seems like other coaches make those decisions after fall camp or after the season opening cupcakes. I seem to recall guys like AJ Greene and Julio Jones making an impact from game 1 as true freshmen.

I can't help but wonder if the coaches just didn't have the heart to start the young guys over the seniors. It seemed pretty obvious to me for a while, but I'm sure the coaches know better.

NT and PC aren't good measuring sticks

Oct 5, 2010, 5:00 PM

I think the coaches just wanted to be sure it wasn't luck, and that they could perform consistently. Dye has had some good moments but overall isn't very good, so I think they wanted to be sure they didn't do the same thing with the new guys. I'm ok with it :)

But they had all summer. A WR that has good moments is bad.***

Oct 5, 2010, 5:32 PM

Re: Hopkins, Brown, McNeal and Jones to carry the load again

Oct 4, 2010, 7:53 PM

Dabo should have made this evaluation during the summer.
..at the latest after Q1 of the Auburn game. I am a big fan of Dabo, but I am not going to be a cheerleader for him. The Miami loss falls sqarely, in part, on Dabo's inability to evaluate or unwillingness to bench the Sr Wrs. He needs to make the tough and perhaps unfair decision to not play the Sr. Wr's prior to their inevitable and predictable performance. Their performance has only served as cover for Dabo to make the switch now at the expense of giving Clemson the best opportunity to win on the field the last two games.

Good news

Oct 4, 2010, 9:07 PM

I am a big believer in Hopkins

One of those couldn't catch VD in a Korean...well you know***

Oct 5, 2010, 9:27 AM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic