Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Former Clemson quarterback Willy Korn enrolls at North Greenville
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Aug 17, 2010, 4:46 PM

Declaring he’s ready to get back closer to home and have some fun on the football field, Former Clemson University and Byrnes High School quarterback Willy Korn has enrolled at North Greenville University. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

funny how the press release fails to mention

Aug 17, 2010, 4:50 PM

that the only reason he decided to do this was he was beat out at Marshall. Makes it sound like he just didnt want to stay at Marshall.

never understood why he went there to begin with

Aug 17, 2010, 4:52 PM

can't believe there wasn't a better option somewhere closer to home.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats what I was thinking, why not North Greenville

Aug 17, 2010, 4:54 PM

from the beginning. It seems like here the job is his.

What is his overall goal? To play, or have a professional

Aug 17, 2010, 8:14 PM [ in reply to never understood why he went there to begin with ]

career too? Which I guess is why one would need to be a starter. Can he get that at a DII school or a non-fbs school? If he had stayed, would he have been our #2 QB?

Press release portray the subject in the best possible light

Aug 17, 2010, 5:01 PM [ in reply to funny how the press release fails to mention ]

That's what PR does. You want the unabridged 'facts' read a newspaper.

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

Re: Press release portray the subject in the best possible light

Aug 18, 2010, 8:31 AM

UNLESS, you are a Tiger player in the cootlumbia state paper !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Willy Korn vs Jon Richt

Aug 17, 2010, 5:00 PM

Korn at North Greenville and Jon Richt at Mars Hill. Battle of former Clemson QBs.

giving Richt a schollie was PURELY politics family

Aug 17, 2010, 5:22 PM

Bowden did it to be nice to the family.

Korn not working out was a bit of a surprise.

Hope the best for both of them.

null

why should we give him a scholie?

Aug 17, 2010, 5:55 PM

FSU should have if anyone. Not like Richt can't afford his kids tuition. No reason for us to subsidize Ga

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why my post says it was politics and family

Aug 17, 2010, 7:15 PM

connections.......

I never expected Richt to work out.

but Korn was like a HERO and highly rated, VERY HIGHLY rated - so one wold think they would at least been competitive.

Bowden should have never given Richt a schollie.

null

100% False

Aug 18, 2010, 8:27 AM [ in reply to giving Richt a schollie was PURELY politics family ]

Richt was given a Scholarship based on Rob Spense's evaluation. Tommy Bowden did not think Richt was a D-1A QB, heck neither did Mark Ritch. He brought this issue up to Rob Spense and Rob convinced him otherwise. Once he got on campus, Rob finally figured out everyone else was right.

Politics had nothing to do with it. Rob Spence's stupidity was the culprit.

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

Lucky for NGU they dont have to play UNA this year

Aug 17, 2010, 5:24 PM

those were some embarrassing games haha Roar Lions!

please change your handle....

Aug 17, 2010, 7:43 PM

you re embarrassing

Please get annexed by Georgia

Aug 17, 2010, 7:45 PM

you and your city are embarrassing

Maybe he ought to re-enroll at Byrnes since Chase graduated

Aug 17, 2010, 8:01 PM

He can relive the 'good ole days' with the Rebels.

Here's wishing good luck to Willy Korn.***

Aug 17, 2010, 8:26 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really hate this situation for Korn

Aug 18, 2010, 1:43 AM

He is a good kid from all I have read, things just did not work out. That injury was unfortunate, but it basically changed a lot of things.

If we recall Dabo's comments last year regarding Korn vs...

Aug 18, 2010, 8:05 AM

...Parker:

It was somethings like this:

"We can win with either QB."

The implication being, these guys were both very close in skills, even going so far as to say that both QBs WOULD see playing time.

Korn didn't sound like a Division II QB that had no business being on the team in Clemson.

The article I read about what happened at Marshall was that Doc Holliday said that Korn didn't have enough arm strength. We did hear Dabo say that Parker had more arm strength than the other QBs on the team, clearly including Korn. OK...so Korn could only throw 60 yards in the air versus Parker's 70 yards.

We never heard that Willy couldn't make the rest of his throws. In fact, Willy said that he only threw 1 interception during the two weeks at Marshall. My problem from last year was that I NEVER got to see Willy be given ONE CHANCE to throw any other type of pass other than a SIDELINE pass! NEVER! NEVER!

Something stinks about his demise. Someday, we'll get the full story.

I hope something, just something, good happens for this young man. I really do.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I don't think the "real story" is hard to figure out...

Aug 19, 2010, 12:37 AM

...the kid almost had his arm ripped off at the shoulder in that game a couple of years ago against GA Tech. Never the same after, Div. 1 potential over. Pretty simple.

At what point does this become embarrasing for him?

Aug 18, 2010, 9:38 AM

I mean he goes to Marshall to be the QB, gets beat out by 3-4 other guys, supposedly offers to move to defense and then just leaves and shows up at NG.

He's a very smart kid who will probably wind up being a doctor or dentist in the future.

I wish him well because he was and always will be a Tiger!

I think it's embarrasing for him now. The guy is chasing a

Aug 18, 2010, 10:30 AM

dream that long ago vanished. He is not a Tiger in my eyes...he was a Tiger but now he's a Crusader. If he wanted to be remembered as a Tiger he should have stuck it out here and been the back-up just like every other back-up in all of college football. Not winning the starting job is no reason to transfer and this guy has made a living doing just that.

Good post but can't fault the guy for wanting to go

Aug 18, 2010, 10:59 AM

somewhere to try and play. However winding up at NG is not respectable at all.

I'm wondering why you think he should have stayed as a

Aug 18, 2010, 1:41 PM [ in reply to I think it's embarrasing for him now. The guy is chasing a ]

third string QB. Between injuries and Rob Spence's style of offense ("Throw it before you get killed") I think he became a bit of a head case. However, he didn't moan and ##### about the situation. He decided to go somewhere that he realistically could play. After Taj signed on, he was #3 and doubtful to ever see the field again. I think he's a class act all the way around and I hope this works out for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thought is...what if every 2nd or 3rd string guy from a

Aug 18, 2010, 4:27 PM

D1 program did what he did? Some people are made to work in a suit and tie and some have to dig ditches. Some guys are made to be starting QB's and others are back-up's. If dude was 3rd string at a mid-tier program like Clemson he probably don't have pro ball in his future. I think he should have been a good team player, worked behind the starter and got his degree. He didn't honor his commitment to Clemson either...what if Clemson had sent him packing after he got injured? (which is more or less what he did to Clemson in leaving after he couldn't win the starting job)...the uproar would have been out of this world.

Every 2nd or 3rd string QB didn't come out of HS with a

Aug 19, 2010, 9:01 AM

realistic expectation that they might have what it takes to play pro football. That attainable dream is now unattainable and he's having trouble accepting that...or maybe he just wants to prove to himself that he can still play QB.

He stayed at Clemson long enough to get his degree. Dabo understood that chasing a dream is more important than being 3rd string QB on a "mid-tier" (your words, not mine)football team, so he let him go with no fuss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Former Clemson quarterback Willy Korn enrolls at North Greenville

Aug 18, 2010, 2:04 PM

I thought QB's could come back from injuries, but it didn't happen for Korn. The last time I saw him throw, I would cringe every time he'd put it in the air. It was awful on a good day. Korn went from being our savior to a liability in a couple of years & injuries. I don't expect Korn to ever do anything in the qb position. If he does, then great and I'm happy for him. Glad I was wrong. However, I don't think I am.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic