Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2010 Football Season Preview: Presbyterian College
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Jul 9, 2010, 11:59 PM

The Presbyterian Blue Hose will take to the field at Death Valley on Sept. 11th in the second game of the season for both teams Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2010 Football Season Preview: Presbyterian College

Jul 10, 2010, 12:23 AM

PC is arguably the worst college team in America last season.

Bentley really screwed the pooch on leaving that place the way he did.

Jul 10, 2010, 1:08 AM

PC has no chance of ever being seriously good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do we play PC?

Jul 10, 2010, 1:07 AM

what a waste of time. Generates very little income, and excites no one except for the closet homos at PC. I wish we would man up and play nothing but strong out of conference teams.

For another family reunion

Jul 10, 2010, 3:18 AM

We scheduled this game because Tommy Bowden wanted to take all of the attention off of the Bowden Bowls, by reuniting not just family, but friends as well. It's going to be called the BentKornley classic. Bobby Bentley will be reunited with his most successfull quarterback he ever had at Byrnes, and Tommy Bowden said he thought it was a good idea and a good start to another reunion. Tommy said it will be easier on Bentley and Korn than it is with him and his father, because everyone knows Clemson will beat PC, you cannot say the same for the Bowden Bowls.

Oh wait a second, I forgot about something. When they scheduled this game a few years back Bentley was the head coach at PC, Tommy Bowden was the head coach at Clemson, and Korn was still a member of our team. Bentley is no longer at PC, Korn is no longer at Clemson, and even Tommy Bowden is no longer at Clemson................

OK, in all seriousness, when Bentley left PC this game shoud have been taken off the schedule. With strength of schedule these days, a game like this could decide who goes to the national championship or not. Come on TDP, get with the program. You could at least schedule a non BCS 1-A school. What about Memphis, Akron, UAB, East Carolina, etc.....For gosh sakes any team but PC. We will never be taken serious with games like this on the schedule. If we were in the SEC I might, and that's just a might, be OK with games like this from time to time. The ACC is not as strong, and the only way for an ACC team to play for it all is to schedule tougher out of conference games.

El Cid at Florida = NC***

Jul 10, 2010, 10:39 AM

Broadcast Talent. Show Host. PxP and Color Guy. Believer. As seen/heard on @nflnetwork @espn @foxsports @cbssports @1055theroar

Apparently you missed something

Jul 10, 2010, 3:17 PM

Did you even read my post? I put in my post that it might be OK to schedule these types of games from time to time, IF you are in a tougher conference, like the SEC. But even then, schedule a decent 1-AA team like App State or somebody. PC is a team who has not seen a victory since November 1, 2008. That is a disgrace.

And you do not think these games matter? Since we are not going to be national title contenders, I guess we can get away with it this year. But if this team had a possibility of competing for a national title, they would probably have to cross their fingers, go undefeated, and pray that no more than one other team goes undefeated, but preferably none, because this game would kill them. Do you remember the year 2004, when USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn all went undefeated? The BCS determined that it was best for USC and Oklahoma to play for the title, but not Auburn. USC ended up beating Oklahoma, 55-19. You cannot tell me they would have beaten Auburn that bad. They probably would have beat them, but not that bad. So, why didn't Auburn get an opportunity to play them?

Let me see here:

2004 USC out of conference schedule: Virginia Tech, Colorado State, BYU, and Notre Dame. Hmmm, no 1-AA teams on that schedule.

2004 Oklahoma out of conference schedule: Bowling Green, Houston, and Oregon. Well, no 1-AA teams on that schedule, either. Bowling Green and Houston may not be the cream of the crop of 1-A teams, but at least they are 1-A, and Oregon is normally pretty respectable.

2004 Auburn out of conference schedule: Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadel, and Louisiana Tech. That is the worst of the three.

It is getting harder these days for even one team to go unbeaten, and you rarely see three any longer, like we did in 2004. And my gosh, this is an SEC team that was left out of the title. I am sure an ACC team would have had a better shot, NOT.
Take El Cid off of Auburn's 2004 schedule, and replace them with someone like GT, who they have played a couple of times in the 2000s, or Clemson, who they play this year, and Auburn may have had an opportunity to win the national title. I doubt they would have beaten USC, but I do not think USC would have beat them like a drum, like they did Oklahoma.

Strength of schedule means a lot these days. If your school is serious about competing for it all, a decent schedule is a must. And since the ACC is not all that great right now, then ACC teams that want to compete for national titles need to schedule tougher teams. I know we play Auburn this year, but playing PC looks worse than playing Auburn does better.

Other than the 2 ahead of Auburn in '04...

Jul 11, 2010, 5:15 PM

...there was no one they could have played that would have changed where they are.

The mighty SEC team in Auburn....did not get to play for the NC. The way the system is it absolutely looks better to go 12-0 than 11-1 regardless of the 1 loss.

We have 2 of your SEC folks in Auburn and SCar on the schedule, and in coming years have 2 and 3 each year....hopefully it will do us some good.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Boyd/Wade will need cupcake tune-ups but this is a disgrace.

Jul 10, 2010, 12:53 PM

PC has an enrollment of 1200. C'mon. I understand the desire to schedule home wins, but couldn't they at least schedule respectable teams like MTSU, LaTech, LaMon, et al?

I'm glad that Boyd and/or Wade will have some tune-up games before going to Auburn, but when the tune-up opponents are this weak, it's not going to help everyone tune-up very much. That trip to Auburn is going to be a shocker.

No difference in beeting PC than those you mentioned.

Jul 11, 2010, 5:16 PM

None.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

There is a difference in talent & tune-up value. MTSU >PC.

Jul 11, 2010, 6:03 PM

I'd venture to say that most PC players couldn't even make the team at MTSU. Therefore it doesn't give the Clemson teams as much of a tune-up coasting against far weaker players. Heck Sporting News has MTSU ranked above Clemson. Who wouldn't rather see Clemson play MTSU than Presby?

Personally, I'd rather see Clemson pay teams like Boise State, TCU, Fresno State, et al, a million bucks to come to Death Valley. I'd guess that between the increased attendance, concession stand revenue, TV revenue(?), national exposure, and national logo-gear sales increase, it would be well worth the pay-out to such teams.

If he truly cannot understand the difference

Jul 11, 2010, 7:19 PM

I do not think anything we tell him will really sink in.

In other words, you have no logical counterpoint.***

Jul 12, 2010, 2:20 AM

We beat the fool out of MTSU last year.

Jul 12, 2010, 9:23 AM

We will likely beat the fool out of PC this year.

Both are scrimmages........

MTSU score: 37-14. Coastal Carolina: 49-3. No difference?

Jul 12, 2010, 1:46 PM

I get the idea that Clemson is very likely to beat both either MTSU or PC. But MTSU has much better athletes and therefore will provide a better test/tune-up for Clemson's players (1st & 2nd string). Look at the MTSU-Clemson game. MTSU had 299 yards to Clemson's 361. That's 299 yards and 14 points that Clemson's defense can learn from.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292480228

Look at the Coastal Carolina game. CC had 170 yards to Clemson's 400 and CC didn't score until the a field goal in the 4th quarter against our 2nd/3rd string.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=293040228

Which team provided a better test/tune-up for our athletes? Exactly the same? That's absurd.

Are you saying that the level of competition is the same

Jul 12, 2010, 6:53 PM [ in reply to We beat the fool out of MTSU last year. ]

as long as you beat someone by more than 28 points? Because that is illogical. Beating Wake Forest by 30 means something completely different than beating PC by 30. Playing against better competition means something, always. Either way, whoever is making the schedule should have enough respect for Clemson fans to at least put actual football teams on the field. MTSU and TCU were perfect last year. Auburn is great and North Texas is acceptable, but Coastal and PC should never be on our schedule. Put a Div IA team on the schedule every time. If we would just replace PC with somebody like East Carolina or South Florida I would be happy.

except that those others are 30-35 points better than PC?***

Jul 12, 2010, 10:57 AM [ in reply to No difference in beeting PC than those you mentioned. ]

Re: No difference in beeting PC than those you mentioned.

Jul 12, 2010, 7:27 PM [ in reply to No difference in beeting PC than those you mentioned. ]

How do you "beet" a team? Throw beets at them? Will PC's uni's be red when we're done with them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jul 11, 2010, 11:55 AM

Yawn

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic