Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TDP says Purnell decision caught him off-guard; national search begins for coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TDP says Purnell decision caught him off-guard; national search begins for coach

Apr 6, 2010, 5:18 PM

Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips said on Tuesday that he was caught by surprise when head basketball coach called him to resign, but he will begin a national search for a replacement immediately. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1:30 am.....WOW***

Apr 6, 2010, 5:20 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If somebody woke me up at 0130 with that news I'd tell 'em

Apr 6, 2010, 5:45 PM

well, I'd tell 'em alright.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRAD STEVENS--Should we even get our hopes up?

Apr 6, 2010, 9:23 PM

Just wondering what some of u thought?...#21

No.***

Apr 7, 2010, 5:03 PM

My thought exactly....

Apr 6, 2010, 7:43 PM [ in reply to 1:30 am.....WOW*** ]

almost like "take this job and shove it " !

hope he had not been drinking, wake up tomorrow and say "I DID WHAT ?"

OP probably wanted to let TDP know before it was reported

Apr 7, 2010, 8:38 AM

in media the next day.

Doesn't sound as if TDP was even informed they were in

Apr 6, 2010, 5:26 PM

talks. OP saying the DePaul AD would be calling him? If this was done without going through TDP it was definitely underhanded on OP's part. Makes me wonder if he might have initiated the contact

He said AD called him Sunday night.***

Apr 6, 2010, 5:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Nuff said!

Thanks for the clarification***

Apr 6, 2010, 5:30 PM

this once again proves to me that college coaches are

Apr 6, 2010, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Doesn't sound as if TDP was even informed they were in ]

out for themselves and not the programs they claim. They'll sale a kid/school out in a heartbeat

sadly most coaches expect these kids to honor commitments, but they don't return favor.

it's a business that is dirty, but coaches might be the leaders of the pack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go back to how we hired OP in the first place

Apr 7, 2010, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Doesn't sound as if TDP was even informed they were in ]

Remember that he was hired without even a face-to-face inteview. Everything was done through OP's agent and Dayton had no idea he was even being considered until it was announced.

I wonder if this "national search" is the same or similar..

Apr 6, 2010, 5:26 PM

to the one that was conducted for Bowden's replacement?

If that's the case, it's likely one name written on a Post-it Note stuck to a map of the US in TDP's office.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

OP is under contract and interviewing?! Legality and Ethics

Apr 6, 2010, 5:30 PM

need to be examined here IMO...schools are required to ASK for the AD's permission to speak to a coach about an opening. So which is it? DePaul being shady or TDP lying about "being completely off guard"?

"Caught him off-guard" AKA: TDP has no idea what's going on

Apr 6, 2010, 5:31 PM

hth.

You're absolutely right

Apr 6, 2010, 7:21 PM

I mean, TDP should have definitely known that OP was going to leave. It doesn't matter if OP told him or not. A Clemson AD should be equipped with the psychic abilities to predict these kinds of things. Shame on him. No one can ever be surprised by anything, right?

Might as well save time and money, just go ahead

Apr 6, 2010, 5:47 PM

and hire Ron Bradley now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Yep - I've seen this statement before

Apr 6, 2010, 5:51 PM

"Purnell assistant Ron Bradley has been told by Phillips that he will be the interim head coach, and will have the opportunity to earn the job, but Phillips said the search will be a “national” one." - insert Bowden and Swinney.

bradley never coached a game as head coach here, unlike

Apr 6, 2010, 5:53 PM

swinney who did

Re: Yep - I've seen this statement before

Apr 7, 2010, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Yep - I've seen this statement before ]

Your guys say what you want about TDP but don't bring Swinney's name in this; he's a #### good coach.

Re: TDP says Purnell decision caught him off-guard; national search begins for coach

Apr 6, 2010, 6:56 PM

The administration has blown it here- Clemson had developed a strong program in what is usually the best conference-
When will they learn? Ticket sales and national exposure such as Clemson got with Gameday are measuring sticks-
The administration should have been more pro active in trying to keep one of the most respected coaches in the country-
what a disaster-

Like signing him to an extension last summer?

Apr 6, 2010, 7:23 PM

Do you mean that kind of proactive step? Look, I'm just as upset about OP leaving as anybody, but the TDP bashing is just ridiculous. What more could he have done to keep OP here?

Re: TDP says Purnell decision caught him off-guard; national search begins for coach

Apr 6, 2010, 7:34 PM

I hear that goober TDP would not pay for OP's wife to go to NCAA tour...what say you...is it time for this AH to be gone?

Apr 7, 2010, 3:58 AM

That's just ridiculous! Why should Clemson University pay for his wife to go. Would the company you worked for pay for your wife to go on a business trip? I believe Purnell made more than enough to pay for his wife's plane ticket.

Agree....well said***

Apr 7, 2010, 7:06 AM

Apr 7, 2010, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: TDP says Purnell decision caught him off-guard; national search begins for coach ]

Most coaches have clauses in their contract that state that the university pays for travel expenses for family members to attend games as well as tickets for the games. This is a fairly standard part of a contract that most coaches have. I can understand why OP would want to leave if he wasn't getting these basic benefits.

Ah... horsecrap!

Apr 7, 2010, 2:28 PM

If not receiving those "basic benefits" were enough for him to leave Clemson (even with his million plus salary), then that's being ridiculously petty. Besides, if those are so important to him, he should have made sure they were in his contract!

She couldn' afford to pay her own way?***

Apr 7, 2010, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TDP says Purnell decision caught him off-guard; national search begins for coach ]

Apr 6, 2010, 7:41 PM

Should B a national search for an AD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well this confirms a suspicion I had

Apr 7, 2010, 10:25 AM

Nothing good comes out of Chicago!

"Show me a good and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."
Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

Who makes a decision & calls their boss at 1:30AM? Low class***

Apr 7, 2010, 4:36 PM

Evidently OP feels Clemson doesn't deserve to be among ...

Apr 7, 2010, 5:10 PM

the elite basketball programs. What a joke. Purnell couldn't live with himself for not having won an NCAA tourney game, so he quit Clemson to take over a struggling DePaul. All under the auspice of his passion for rebuilding programs. Like we've seen at Dayton and at Clemson, Purnell's passion apparently stops at the rebuilding process.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1/2 the article lauds Bradley. TDP is using T-Net to prep us***

Apr 7, 2010, 5:10 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic