Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney helps his players win on and off the field
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Nov 12, 2009, 8:36 AM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said it’s his job to coach his players to be the best players they can be, but more importantly to be the best men they can be.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love Dabo and the way he jumped the refs when CJ

Nov 12, 2009, 9:02 AM

got tagged out of bounds-never would have seen that kind of a#@ chewin' from TB.Keep doing your thing,CDS.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tommy chewed stuff he chewed grass remember***

Nov 12, 2009, 12:18 PM

Whatever, Tommy was always yelling at the refs***

Nov 13, 2009, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo and the way he jumped the refs when CJ ]

Coach Swinney gets it. He knows it's about the players...

Nov 12, 2009, 9:03 AM

I have never said that I thought CDS is a brilliant football mind or that he knows the game better than most. I don't know that about him. It could be true but remains to be proven.

Here is what I do know:

I spent 9 years in the military and I know what it means to teach kids about growing up. I know what it means to coddle and shelter and what damage that does. I know the value of competition. I know about life lessons involving failure and success. I know about quitting and not quitting. I know the importance of challenging one's self in the face of apparent impossible odds.

But, this is not about me. This is about Coach Dabo Swinney. From my vantage point, Coach Dabo Swinney could teach me allot about all of the above. I would want my son to play for him over any coach I've seen coaching today. I am selfish and want wins like all other Clemson fans but deep down if his methods conflict with winning (and I don't believe they do) I choose his methods. I am sure there would be few who see it the same way I do if we were once again mired in mediocrity but most don't see what he is doing. I pray that all Clemson fans do.

I selfishly pray every day that the lessons God has in store for CDS don't result in losses for the team. I can't help it, I love Clemson!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

I agree with you and that's one of the big reasons why

Nov 12, 2009, 9:23 AM

I like him so much as a coach and ambassador for Clemson. I think this is also a quality that has the real Clemson fans behind him! He is such a likeable guy and really gets what it means to be a Clemson Tiger. On top of that he is a teacher to these young men and helping mold their life after football is over for them! I think Clemson has hired the right person to lead the football program, no doubt about it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post.

Nov 12, 2009, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Coach Swinney gets it. He knows it's about the players... ]

I honestly want the team to win as much for Dabo and the players as I do for my own desire to see my alma mater do well. It is very easy to get behind people like Dabo and CJ Spiller who set positive examples for the rest of us.

Re: Coach Swinney gets it. He knows it's about the players...

Nov 12, 2009, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Coach Swinney gets it. He knows it's about the players... ]

Well spoken Smplman, I think you were able to write what most REAL Clemson fans are thinking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Nov 12, 2009, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Coach Swinney gets it. He knows it's about the players... ]

This is what I've been thinking all along and I'm glad others are getting it. I've never been so happy in my life with a decision Clemson has made and I felt confident from day one that he was the right man not just to coach this team but to represent this university. He truly represents the Clemson we all know and love. He shows in everything he does what it means to be a Clemson man or woman. He's passionate and hard working and believes in getting the job done. He's going to make mistakes along the way...he's human but it won't be b/c he didn't work his butt off or give it his all.

Re: Swinney helps his players win on and off the field

Nov 12, 2009, 11:16 AM

When I think back to last December when Coach Swinney was made the head coach, I can remember thinking this guy gets it. He had to work hard, persevere and overcome. All of those things carry us through life. I cannot think of another person whom I would rather have as our ambassador and head coach. We are greatly blessed to have him.

imo this is why dabo is the right man for the job...........

Nov 12, 2009, 12:14 PM

"Swinney said it’s his job to coach his players to be the best players they can be, but more importantly to be the best men they can be."

All really good words and I agree but why are we scared

Nov 12, 2009, 1:32 PM

to say the obvious. Dabo "gets it" and does it all the right way because He LIVES a surrendered life to His Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I am absolutely sure that if Dabo was to read these kind words, he would defer all credit to Christ.

Why is it we can't just say that!?!?! The "we" I am talking about is other beleivers on this board, others that humbly serve. Is it we are scared of the persecution that is sure to follow, I know sometimes it affects me. I gotta say I love Jesus and what He has done in my life and I want that same peace and joy for others, we need to say EXACTLY why we have it, otherwise no one will know.....and I love Clemson for so many reasons not the least of which is that we have Christian Head Coaches in many of our sports. This guys are TRULY affecting our young adults in THE most important aspect of their lives. GO TIGERS! and GO GOD!

1) Who is scared to say it?

Nov 12, 2009, 2:03 PM

2) Why do so many Christians have such a persecution complex?

3) I don't care if the coach is Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Athiest or Pagean. If he wins, wins the right way and represents the University well, his religion is none of my business.

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

1) Who is scared to say it?

Nov 12, 2009, 2:35 PM

Can only speak for sure about me, and as mentioned before, sometimes I am effected by what others might think (but not too often). For more re-read original post- I defined "we".

2) Why do so many Christians have such a persecution complex?
First, I don't think its just Christians; I think it is built into all humans to want to fit in and not "rock the boat" so to speak. But biblically speaking we are told there will be persecution, some confront it and persevere, some avoid it at all cost. Not sure if thats a definition of a "complex".

3) I don't care if the coach is Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Athiest or Pagean. If he wins, wins the right way and represents the University well, his religion is none of my business.
If my perception is accurate (from question 2 being worded as though you are excluded from the "so many Christians" and this statement here in number 3), you must not be a believer as you WOULD care, if you were, and would know that it IS your business (the whole One Body thing.)

Your perception is wrong.

Nov 12, 2009, 2:52 PM

I am a Christian and go to church. I just don't have the same persecution complex that a lot of Christians do. Despite the best efforts of the founders to separate church and state, the US is a Christian dominated society.

And, no, from a football coach perspective, it doesn't matter what his religion is. While I may be a Christian, I also know you don't have to be any religion to have good morals and values and pass those on to others.

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

Your perception is wrong....GLAD OF THAT!

Nov 12, 2009, 3:08 PM

Sincerely am glad to hear that! Not going into all that on here about church and state but the church is dieing in America at an alarming pace, maybe due to our reluctance to talk about it boldly (political correctness plays a part) and carry forth with the ideals of our forefathers in establishing this great country. They came here to escape religious oppression. Agree on the whole morals and values thing, except that they are only good for a short time and I prefer an eternal perspective (particularly concerned for young adults as they are being pulled in so many directions and not all are good). Back to football, sure wish it was SATURDAY! Go TIGERS!!!!

If Dabo wanted to say it, he would...

Nov 12, 2009, 3:16 PM

....and he has sometimes.

You feel free to spout off about it all you want...lighten up on coach. Good grief.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Not sure where he was slammed??

Nov 12, 2009, 3:48 PM

Pretty sure it was all praise for him!

Your eternal perspective regarding

Nov 12, 2009, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Your perception is wrong....GLAD OF THAT! ]

morality really reflects Bronze Age morality.

I suppose you want to stone wizards, witches, homosexuals, et al, and not allow women to speak in church, too.

'does beyotches betta'know when to speak!

Nov 12, 2009, 3:19 PM

Ya'hear?!

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

REALLY, REALLY.....

Nov 12, 2009, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Your eternal perspective regarding ]

You're kidding, right? Sorry I should have been more specific- eternity future NOT eternity past.....and my Senior Pastor is an awesome WOMAN of God, sorry to disappoint you!

and thanks for supporting the persecution point!

Where do you go to church?***

Nov 12, 2009, 3:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

She's married dude....with an old fashion belief.....

Nov 12, 2009, 3:56 PM

of staying that way.

Na, I'm just curious***

Nov 12, 2009, 3:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

....a United Methodists Church***

Nov 12, 2009, 3:59 PM

Obviously.....

Nov 12, 2009, 4:00 PM

in the Clemson area?

Actually go to same church as CDS when......

Nov 12, 2009, 4:02 PM

in Clemson but I live in the lowcountry...

Re: REALLY, REALLY.....

Nov 12, 2009, 4:51 PM [ in reply to REALLY, REALLY..... ]

Persecution? Guess your idea of persecution is a little different than the disciples in the Bible...

flaying alive, crucified, stoned to death...

and solafide... bullied on an internet message board. Maybe Mel Gibson will make a film about you.

Agreed, it is at a totally different level, so......

Nov 13, 2009, 8:20 AM

why do you think Dabo's faith was not given credit for in who he is? Maybe its not, but I would be surprised knowing the selfless people believer's are called to be. As another poster has mentioned, many times Dabo himself has redirected the credit to his Lord and Savior- why cannot the journalists do the same? Just sayin....and I'm really not concerned about being bullied on here as I don't see that at all! I just see an opportunity........

I don't think the traditional church in America is dying

Nov 12, 2009, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Your perception is wrong....GLAD OF THAT! ]

because churchgoers haven't been boldly talking about Christianity. Rather, I think it is those very people who "preach" to others and try to ram their own practices down others' throats who have damaged the church over the last generation. Instead of being creative in reaching potential new believers, the church stayed stagnant and failed to accurately portray Christ's message to the masses. That is sad.

Only recently have we begun to see churches reach out to a broader cross-section of society. Hopefully it will communicate Christ's love and His open arms rather than focusing so much on a rigid list of do's and don'ts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Ramming your beliefs is never good!

Nov 13, 2009, 8:11 AM

To get back to the original issue- I just think that Jesus should get some credit for what he has and is doing in Dabo's life (and subsequently countless others). That is all I wanted to say. And if that were said (not in the original article, but wish it was), then maybe His Kingdom and Church would be increased as more would want to know about this Jesus guy; really that simple for me.

And as for the church dying, I am in total agreement that for too long we thought we should continue to worship status quo, now we know that will not cut it. And a BIG AMEN on your last two sentences- we do indeed have a new covenant that made the old legalistic (do's and don'ts) one obsolete. Jesus loves all and has taught us to do the same through His Word, and we are His hands and feet on this earth until He returns, so I hope that comes through here.

Just need to point out historical fact...

Nov 13, 2009, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Your perception is wrong. ]

The founders did not try to separate church and state, and they certainly did not establish the First Amendment in the hopes that Christianity would be diminished. Just read our founding documents. The basic premise behind this country is that we the citizens have been given unalienable rights by our Creator that no man or government should have the power to take away.

The whole "separation of church and state" thing began in 1947 with the Everson v. Board of Education case where then Associate Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black wrote for the 5-4 majority that "the First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state."

This couldn't be further from the truth. The framers intent was to limit the government's power and prevent the government from being able to establish a theocracy which would be destructive of basic liberties, especially religious liberty. The point of the First Amendment was to make sure that everyone could practice their own religion according to his or her own beliefs without fear of government sanction or intrusion.

You guys could really work the "death valley"

Nov 12, 2009, 3:08 PM [ in reply to 1) Who is scared to say it? ]

thing if you guys hired a jihadist coach.

Re: You guys could really work the "death valley"

Nov 12, 2009, 3:09 PM

Allahu Akbar could follow up in cadence count.

Sure, seeing the co-eds in Burkhas would

Nov 12, 2009, 3:13 PM

be awkward at first, but a stoning or two would certainly make Clemson the toughest venue for visiting teams.

Is that you Brother Micah?***

Nov 12, 2009, 2:25 PM [ in reply to All really good words and I agree but why are we scared ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Maybe........?******

Nov 12, 2009, 2:36 PM

Re: All really good words and I agree but why are we scared

Nov 12, 2009, 3:09 PM [ in reply to All really good words and I agree but why are we scared ]

I guess I'm alone in the fact that I could care less about his personal religion beliefs.

religious****

Nov 12, 2009, 3:10 PM

I do not concur, I think you are backed by many.......***

Nov 12, 2009, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: All really good words and I agree but why are we scared ]

LOL...dude, you're paranoid.

Nov 12, 2009, 3:18 PM

Get a little self confidence, would go a long way for you.

Thanks for the help...I am laughing at your post***

Nov 12, 2009, 3:54 PM

That's ok....you make me laugh too.***

Nov 12, 2009, 9:43 PM

....not paranoid, just passionate!***

Nov 13, 2009, 8:22 AM

I couldn't care less.

Nov 13, 2009, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: All really good words and I agree but why are we scared ]

Just win and don't be a #########.

In fact, I'm probably OK with the latter as long as the former is there too.

Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Athiest, whatever...just be a good coach. People around here get way too into the religious beliefs of our coaches for some reason.

CDS throw no pity parties, but he does throw POINT parties!***

Nov 12, 2009, 2:36 PM

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic