Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Oct 9, 2009, 4:03 PM

Clemson head football coach Dabo Swinney sat down with TigerNet and talked about the recent loss at Maryland and the season to date, and his answers reflect both his passion and desire to get the 2009 season turned around.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope he can accomplish what he says.

Oct 9, 2009, 4:06 PM

You know the guy wants to win. He has made some good changes. None of it will matter unless we play better.

All the 'good' changes were on Defense***

Oct 10, 2009, 9:54 PM

I think he nailed it pretty good with that comment about...

Oct 9, 2009, 4:12 PM

trying to change the culture over the last 10 years (more like since the last ACC title in 1991 so 18 years). My support has not wavered and it won't for a while longer, the cupboard may not be all that bare but it lacks consistency in "knowing how to win" when the going gets tough (which is proved by our games decided by a TD or less in the last few years)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to go on record as saying...

Oct 9, 2009, 4:13 PM

nothing good can come of talking to tigernet.
Because none of us, is as stupid as all of us.

but some of us, oh never mind***

Oct 9, 2009, 4:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

That reminds me of the line in "Men in Black" when Will

Oct 9, 2009, 6:38 PM [ in reply to I'm going to go on record as saying... ]

Smith says "people are smart", and Tommy Lee Jones retorts "A person is smart, but people are dumb, irrational, and can't be trusted".

I think that description applies to pretty much all message boards.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start

Oct 9, 2009, 4:14 PM

Dabo=Hootie Ingram or Red Parker

Please explain...***

Oct 9, 2009, 4:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Oct 9, 2009, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start ]

Dabo is no Hootie. Thank God he is no Hootie! If he never wins another game, he never will be a Hootie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2009, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start ]

Definitely!

Oct 9, 2009, 6:43 PM

How can he? It is what it is.

So last year we complained about not getting the ball to

Oct 9, 2009, 4:32 PM

our playmakers more...this year we are getting the ball to CJ and Jacoby a lot and we have to complain that we aren't spreading it around more...which is it?...must be the mob mentality the internet has spawned

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ditto:

Oct 9, 2009, 5:21 PM

http://www.thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=8097579#8097579

It's a rebuilding year

Oct 9, 2009, 4:40 PM

We all know it but for some reason don't want to accept it. It'll be interesting to see how the season plays out.

That is crap...next year it will be Spiller, Ford, Sapp are

Oct 9, 2009, 4:43 PM

gone. How do you replace 3 top players? The excuses just change every year.

We may have skill players but majority can't perform when it

Oct 9, 2009, 4:55 PM

counts, hence our record in games decided by less than a TD the last few years. If it takes a year or two to get us on track (away from the soft teams of TB, sorry but we were soft, especially last year) I'm fine with that but two years is gonna be pushing it Dabo (I'm still behind Dabo but no way is he going to be here 3 years from now if he aint winning)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skill players aren't the answer to consistency and getting

Oct 9, 2009, 4:59 PM [ in reply to That is crap...next year it will be Spiller, Ford, Sapp are ]

better. Lack of skill players hasn't been the problem for a number of years. It's been the OL and overall toughness. Hopefully those 2 will going in the right direction (although I've been hoping that for a long time).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Skill players aren't the answer to consistency and getting

Oct 9, 2009, 5:30 PM

I ditto your comments. They are my thoughts as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. OL has been the problem ever since TB became

Oct 9, 2009, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Skill players aren't the answer to consistency and getting ]

our coach. He went after skill players and neglected the OL. I believe we would have been much better off if would have done the opposite. Brad Scott has done absolutely nothing to help us with the OL either!

Exactly. There are always plenty of excuses for our

Oct 9, 2009, 10:00 PM [ in reply to That is crap...next year it will be Spiller, Ford, Sapp are ]

coaches and sunshine pumpers to choose from. I believe Wake lost their starting QB and starting RB in 2006 and still managed to win the ACC with freshman replacements. Good coaching makes a difference.

Rebuilding with the players he recruited? That's funny.***

Oct 9, 2009, 11:10 PM [ in reply to It's a rebuilding year ]

??? rebuilding. If this year was a rebuilding year, next

Oct 10, 2009, 2:11 PM [ in reply to It's a rebuilding year ]

year will be starting from scratch - with no building materials on site.

At this point, what more do you want from Coach Swinney?

Oct 9, 2009, 5:34 PM

other than W's of course, but i think they will come to.

he's not making excuses, he's accepting blame, they are obviously working very hard, we have young players at key positions and we have a young and inexperienced staff.

i see a difference with the mentality and physical toughness of the team, but i really want to see it on the scoreboard too.

I have to believe in the coaching staff because it is way too early to pass judgement.

IMO its time for these players to step up and make the catches, throws, crucial FG's, show more leadership, and focus on completing a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At this point, what more do you want from Coach Swinney?

Oct 9, 2009, 7:50 PM

Its Dabos fault that our offense lacks an identity.As an unproven hc,he hired an oc with no experience and a wrs coach with no experience.Is it any wonder that this offense is ranked 104th in the nation out of 120 teams and it is so inept.Our offensive coaches are in over their heads.

Ever consider that just maybe

Oct 10, 2009, 12:36 AM

players not executing is responsible for that "lack of identity"? Play calling has a reasonable numerical balance although I'll concede that some calls must've got pulled from somewhere dark. Dabo wants this to be more run oriented team and able to control possession time. The OL has not stepped up yet. They are much better in pass protection. Run blocking is so so and our WR's don't block worth a crap. Being "unproven" is irrelevant to an offensive identity though execution is not. There are 3 coaches that I would agree may be in over their heads--2 for sure. However, I think Dabo is determined as to this teams offensive identity but the execution sucks in the red zone--particularly when you throw on 1st down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said!

Oct 10, 2009, 12:25 AM [ in reply to At this point, what more do you want from Coach Swinney? ]

Is it just fun to be PO'd all the time or what? You have a bunch of 18-22 yo's, you have your hands full. By that I mean you don't go out there and expect them to always be focused, mature, and playing with confidence. Dabo said 10 seasons of this so so attitude. It's more like 20 when you go back through West and Hatfield. West was a great guy and very intense-he just couldn't recruit after the Hatfield debacle.

Dabo is a fiery guy and doesn't mind butting heads with other coaches on the staff and I have info to support that but that's not what's important. He's not a whiny, meely mouth, excuse making wuss. I'd like to know which one of you brilliant Einsteins could walk out on the field and magically take this program to the next level?

Hey, we're all tired of losing. At the moment, this is our best shot. Why not support the effort versus tearing it down. God, I never thought I'd see the day when a bunch of supposed Clemson fans would act like a bunch of freaking USuC Gamecocks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At this point, what more do you want from Coach Swinney?

Oct 10, 2009, 4:32 PM [ in reply to At this point, what more do you want from Coach Swinney? ]

So how long do we give this staff before passing judgement? 10 years like we did Tommy. Get rid of Napier now.

No excuses... except to blame the players instead of coaches

Oct 9, 2009, 6:52 PM

What do you mean Swinney makes no excuses? His recurring theme is that we (the coaches) called all the right plays but the players didn't execute, so we (the coaches) just have to coach them (the flawed players) to execute better.

Here's the type of thing that UNC's OC, John Shoop, said after their pathetic loss to UVA:
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/4800/qa-with-unc-oc-shoop-part-ii
"Certainly you make adjustments and do different things, but our guys know it’s about us as a staff and the game plan and blocking and finishing runs … it’s about us."

"We evaluate everything every single week. There’s subtle things you do, and try to get the ball in the hands of guys who can do something for you."

See the coaching AND player accountability in those statements?

Now here's the type of Bowden-esque stuff Swinney says:

“We just have to coach them better, pure and simple...”

"On the play to C.J. [a called screen in which Spiller slipped], we had the right call, we had two blockers out in front, and there was nobody between him and the end zone. “It was a touchdown. And he slipped."

"At Maryland, we had a young wideout who had practiced great all week, and then he dropped two balls and had a holding call."

But other coaches blame players too, and in Swinney's defense, he does say:
"But that all goes back to coaching..."

However, the give-me-a-few-years-like-Purnell comparison/excuse rang hollow for me.

From now on, Swinney should start by saying, that we (the coaches) should have game-planned, play-called, and adjusted better. We should have position-coached, drilled, and instructed the players better. AND the players should have executed better.

I sincerely hope that Swinney & staff improve their execution and the players' execution on the road to an ACC title this season. The good news is that the Atlantic seems so weak that Clemson could probably win the ACC if they win their remaining ACC games. And there's not a team on the schedule that Clemson can't beat.

Go Tigers. 11-3.

He realizes excuses would exacerbate his problems.***

Oct 9, 2009, 7:28 PM

Doesn't mean anything until we see results

Oct 9, 2009, 7:32 PM

Tired of excuses, tired of saying no excuse, tired of saying we almost had it, tired of saying didn't execute.

Just want to see us win. Either do it or find some one who can.

I don't see enough changes as of yet. I want Dabo to win but it doesn't seem likely. This year the talent is there and the conference is down. Looks like we are blowing a perfect opportunity. Hope he can prove me wrong and get to Tampa.

I can't get excited about the Wake game and think we have a close game. Could see it going either way but after watching the last game, if we dont see a different team we will lose by 3 is my prediction.

Oct 9, 2009, 7:45 PM

For Dabo to say he is not calling the plays is a bold faced lie.Watch in games as he signals in the plays.Dabo want too much control over the offense.He should have hired a proven oc.

Since when does signaling in plays mean you're calling plays

Oct 9, 2009, 8:30 PM

Do you also believe that QBs who signal in plays are making the decision on what to run? LMAO!

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

What???

Oct 10, 2009, 6:12 PM

You mean Whitehurst isn't calling the plays for San Diego? All this time I thought he was! LOL!!

There are a few guys simultaneously signalling in the plays.

Oct 9, 2009, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start ]

Just because somebody signals in the plays from the sideline, doesn't mean that the play wasn't called by Napier. It's not like Napier can signal in the play from the booth. I believe Dabo on this. I don't think he has as much incentive to lie about it. And if he did lie about it, it would be easily uncovered and do him irreparable damame. Besides, who in their right mind would want to take responsibility for the failed play calling?

So you can read hand signals?????

Oct 10, 2009, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start ]

You may want to look at when and what signals are used and then find out if they are actual or decoys. And if he signals in the offensive plays--so what? You need things to come from upstairs. You ever try to see defenses and formations at field level. That's why the OC is in the box to begin with. Personally, I have good reason to believe that Swinney and Napier may be at odds with each other. We'll see how it plays out.

Dabo please go to Napier for advice

Oct 9, 2009, 7:46 PM

since he has all the answers (according to him). LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2009, 12:42 AM

Dabo is quick to sound like every coach out there with a losing season. "The players are young and inexperienced... yadda yadda yadda. You got to be kidding me this ain't Jr. High no more. These kids have been playing football for a very long time. Dabo needs to up the expectations for these young men quite a bit, or mediocrity will be the acceptable norm just like how Bowden coached.

Oct 10, 2009, 6:31 AM

Do any of you have children,ages 18-20? How well do they think and execute their thoughts? Is it your parenting(or coaching)that is a failure? Give the kids and coaches a break.Let's give them this season to mature and fire the coach if they don't!It's nice as parents that we don't get fired for our failures!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

18 - 20 year olds???

Oct 10, 2009, 6:17 PM

I have an 8, 6 and 3 year old! I can't even get them to turn a light off or shut a door or put their shoes in the closet!! I've only told them 4,000 times!

Children

Oct 10, 2009, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney makes no excuses for 2-3 start ]

It's true that Dabo and the Clemson football staff are dealing with 18-22 year olds, and that they are still young, and they make some dumb decisions. I, however, have spent the bye today watching other teams with players of the same age and lack of maturity. It's amazing that some coaching staffs seem to do a good job shaping these young men, and other coaches don't. Think - Beamer/VT, Saban/Alabama, Brown/Texas, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

.... Hire a real OC this off-season Dabo***

Oct 10, 2009, 7:27 AM

Yes, PLEASE!!!!***

Oct 10, 2009, 2:08 PM

Oct 10, 2009, 10:19 AM

The truth is DabO was an emotional and economic hire.Some fans let the emotions of the moment blind you.The Tiger Walk,players walking arm in arm,Dabo as head cheerleader,missing practice because of social visits after a bad loss,and band concerts during practice is all good show that PT Barnum would be proud of.What did he say?"A sucker is born every minute."Hes talking about some of you fans.Dabo is all about show.I blame TDP and Barker for most of this mess.If i had been Dabo and offered a raise and a big time head coching job,i would have taken it too.I think Dabo realized that he was in over his head so he took money knowing he will get a payoff when we let him go in a few years.Barker and TDP hired Dabo;Dabos fate should match theirs.However,Dabo is not absolved of responbility.He made the hires on the coaching staff.Given you have no experience at head coach,why in the world would you hire an oc with 0 experience and a wr coach with no experience?Could it be that Dabo is a control freak?He promised a major overhaulon the offense.We are still running Spences system.There have been reports that Dabo and Billy are at odds over the direction of the offense.Dabo said in his teleconference this week that would be no major changes in schemes,personnel,or coaching.How can the offense improve under these conditions?Look at the upcoming opponents.WFU,Miami,FSU,USC,and even Virginia can score touchdowns while we play the conservative field goal game.We are 2-3 at present.If the offense does not show marked improvement against WFU,we are staring at a losing record.Next years schedule is even tougher with Auburn on the road.We wont have Spiller or Ford next year.A strong possibility of two consecutive losing seasons if it happenswould most likely result in the termination of the DABO experiment.

Dabo compares himself to Oliver Purnell?

Oct 10, 2009, 12:02 PM

I like Dabo. But, it's a little early to make that comparison. If Dabo's next couple of years turns out as successful as OP, that would be awesome. Kind of a wait-and-see attitude to me.

that comment sounded like Bowden. Purnell started with 0

Oct 10, 2009, 2:15 PM

nothing, nada. Swinney stepped into a division winner - with the right coach. (notice I said division and not conference, as I think Va Tech is clearly way ahead of everybody else)

The only thing I thought about that was OP had a lot less

Oct 11, 2009, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Dabo compares himself to Oliver Purnell? ]

talent to work with.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

Go have a look at Iowa for a team built inside out, year in and year out. Sigh...

Oct 11, 2009, 8:11 AM

Dabo inherited ateam with enough talent to win a weak ACC Atlantic division.Given his efforts so far,he is in over his head as head coach.

Oct 12, 2009, 4:02 PM

TDP hould be fired. He botched the Tommy Bowden extension/step down, the soccer situation, and passed on Gary Patterson, Foster from VT, Brian Kelly, and Tommy Tuperville for Dabo. ###?

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic