Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Burns: I hate it when Tommy Bowden is right
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Oct 1, 2009, 10:29 AM

Tommy Bowden perpetually pointed out Clemson was one play away – one play away from beating Georgia Tech in 2000, one play away from beating Boston College in 2007, one play away from reaching the ACC championship game. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lost me at parity....***

Oct 1, 2009, 11:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why are so many bothered and/or afraid of that term?***

Oct 1, 2009, 11:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because that's the term Bowden used for 10 yrs to explain

Oct 1, 2009, 11:28 AM

his ineptness as a coach.

null

Ok, but ....

Oct 1, 2009, 11:49 AM

It exists.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know and it's also a fact that half

Oct 1, 2009, 11:54 AM

the teams that play on Saturday lose.

;)

null

As they should. What would be interesting is if the losers

Oct 1, 2009, 11:56 AM

were just 'one play away'...

:)

If Tommy Bowden were their coach....

Oct 1, 2009, 11:58 AM

they would be

;)

null

Where would we be now...

Oct 1, 2009, 12:05 PM

if Kelly had caught that pass?

Tommy Bowden locked into a 25-year contract,

Oct 1, 2009, 12:06 PM

name already on the Ring of Honor, everybody forgets who Danny Ford is.

;)

null

Where would we be now is Spence had passed more against BC?

Oct 1, 2009, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Where would we be now... ]

In 2006 BC had the #2 ranked run defense and the #110 ranked pass defense. Clemson had a highly efficient QB. But prior to Clemson's last desperation drive or 10-straight passes, Spence called 51% running plays (including 61% runs on 1st down), sending our RBs into brick walls of future NFLers (1.5 yards/rush), despite the fact that Harper was passing all over BC's weak zone pass defense (5.65 yards/attempt). Spence completely blew that game. (And Bowden screwed Clemson by keeping Spence for so many years.) But in typical Bowden fashion he blamed the Atlantic title on ONE, difficult, low-percetnage, over-the-shoulder long-bomb, missed catch from the ACC's all-time leading receiver.

I'm getting a sense of deja vu with Swinney and Napier.

I was not a fan of Bowden's loyalty to Spence. I will never

Oct 1, 2009, 2:00 PM

understand it and I completely agree with much of what is said about Spence's gameplanning/calling.

I just don't see much, if any, resemblance between Bowden/Spence & Dabo/Napier....

I do think many people are hypersensitive to the issue; some with reasoned thoughts and others, simply because they didn't want Dabo.

If Dabo gets the oculus built, I'm good.

Oct 1, 2009, 2:02 PM

;)

null

no #### dude!

Oct 1, 2009, 2:16 PM

:)

Re: Burns:-not interested in Tommy Talk!

Oct 1, 2009, 11:16 AM

not interested in TT-that's Tommy Talk!

Re: Burns: I hate it when Tommy Bowden is right

Oct 1, 2009, 11:45 AM

Sure wish Clemson had held former Maryland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the No. 7 overall draft pick of the Oakland Raiders, without a 76 yard reverse down to the 4-yard line last year.

I don't hear Beamer whine about being 1 play away every year

Oct 1, 2009, 1:19 PM

There's aout 120 plays each game-- many of which can be run better. Losers whine about the players not making this play or that play which cost the game. Call and run each of the 120 plays better and you're far more likely to come out on top. That's the difference between the great coaches and the Dabo Bowdens.

Re: I don't hear Beamer whine about being 1 play away every year

Oct 1, 2009, 1:26 PM

So Dabo and Bowden are running the plays. Players make plays not coaches. The statement being one play away is true our players have to make the plays the coaches just call them. Furthermore I've not heard Dabo whinning about anything.

So coaching means nothing? It's all on the players?

Oct 1, 2009, 2:24 PM

If the coaches drill, coach, teach, game-plan, and play-call inadequately, their players perform inadequately. That's why the great coaches get paid a lot of money, and win a lot of games. Dabo may not exactly be whining, but he's certainly making Bowden-esque excuses.

Dabo has said stuff like this...

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8102
"Swinney said that he feels like he has a team that is on the cusp of winning games against good teams and ranked opponents, but now the onus is on the coaches to teach the players how to win."

"We had plays there to be made."

“Now we have to teach them how to win."

“We have to improve, but I like what we're doing,” he said... "We had plays there to be made. Third down on the opening drive and we have a wide open guy and don't make the play.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8104
Swinney: "We have lost two games to top 15 teams by a total of seven points."

Bowden-esque indeed.

I don't completely disagree. However, if your players

Oct 1, 2009, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't hear Beamer whine about being 1 play away every year ]

continue to not execute plays, drop passes, etc., then it comes down to coaching. It's not the coaches fault until it becomes a trend.

ha ha.... right.

Oct 1, 2009, 1:31 PM [ in reply to I don't hear Beamer whine about being 1 play away every year ]

They all do it!

East Carolina turns back Virginia Tech with punt block for TD

Just when it appeared "Beamer Ball," was about to bail out a sluggish offense again on Saturday, it was East Carolina, not the Hokies, who came up with the big special teams play.

Fast Facts

• East Carolina's victory over Virginia Tech is the first for a Conference USA school over a nationally-ranked BCS conference team since 2002.

• ECU is first team in the 13-year history of Conference USA football to win back-to-back games over nationally-ranked teams. The Pirates finished the 2007 season with a 41-38 victory over No. 22 Boise State in the Hawaii Bowl.

• East Carolina faces No. 8 West Virginia next week.

-- ESPN Research

And after T.J. Lee returned his own blocked punt 27 yards for a touchdown with 1:52 left in a 27-22 upset win over the 17th-ranked Hokies, Beamer and Hokies were stunned.

"It hurts to lose on a blocked kick at the end," Beamer said.

Dang, they were one play away...

Didn't see Beamer whining about his players missing a play.***

Oct 1, 2009, 1:51 PM

Players missing plays? Does someone else miss plays?

Oct 1, 2009, 2:15 PM

Beamer and every other coach does the same thing.

You guys are just too d@mn sensitive to Bowden/Spence.

Every coach talks about winning every play = winning games.

Beamer didn't bring up the other 119 plays as you suggested, he brought up the ONE.

And for the record, I think Frank Beamer could take some lessons from both Dabo and Bowden on caring for his players...

No. Beamer did not whine about his players missing a play.

Oct 1, 2009, 2:33 PM

He said that it's tough getting beat on a last minute field goal. There's a BIG difference between saying that and saying, "If only Joe-Bob had made that play, we'd be winners."

Beamer cares for his players by taking lower ranked recruits, coaching them how to win championships, and then sending a higher percentage of them off to the NFL.

brandon ore, marcus vick, i could go on and on about the

Oct 1, 2009, 2:46 PM

the 'care' he has for himself and not his players. beamer really taught marcus a lesson by allowing him to play in the Gator Bowl when he should have been kicked off the team... he hid Marcus' latest, greatest transgression from the university so Marcus could suit up.

Brandon Ore, more of the same. There's a reason the university instituted their CAP program in the mid 90s specifically targeting the football team and the lack of discipline. Spurrier might blush at some of the cr@p that went on in Blacksburg...

lower ranked, by who, some website? please.

I could go on about Beamer's titles, NFL drafts & no whining***

Oct 1, 2009, 4:02 PM

he whines like a school girl when he loses.

Oct 1, 2009, 4:22 PM

loved the aftermath of the kansas loss...

beamer's won titles in a down acc and 3 in the big east... 2 of them co-champs. congrats to him and the gobblers.

he's also 1-5(?) in major bowls. wow, that's some fantastic stuff.

you keep changing the subject, but that's expected.

And Dabo and Bowden could take some lessons from Beamer

Oct 1, 2009, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Players missing plays? Does someone else miss plays? ]

on winning close games.

Tell you what, give Dabo the same 5/6 years that Beamer was

Oct 1, 2009, 2:50 PM

given, then try and find a replacement should he fail.

VaTech tried to find a replacement for Beamer after his first five & six years. No takers.

Heck Dooley left that program for Wake Forest.

Virginia Tech Hokies (Independent) (1987–1990)
1987 Virginia Tech 2-9-0
1988 Virginia Tech 3-8-0
1989 Virginia Tech 6-4-1
1990 Virginia Tech 6-5-0
Virginia Tech Hokies (Big East) (1991–2003)
1991 Virginia Tech 5-6-0
1992 Virginia Tech 2-8-1

Give Dabo the same time...

Sorry, but Dabo is only getting 3-4 years. Beamer was

Oct 1, 2009, 3:43 PM

building a program completely from scratch. Dabo was given a pretty darn good foundation. He has 3-4 years to see if he can build on it.

first, vatech tried to replace beamer, but couldn't.

Oct 1, 2009, 3:51 PM

second, my comment was that beamer didn't learn to 'win close games' overnight.

matter of fact, he loses plenty of close games.

dabo agrees with you, if he ain't gettin it done in 3-4 years, find someone that can.

one of the many reasons i really like the man. would love to have played for him as well. he gets it.

VT used to be a joke. Dabo shouldn't get 4 years if he fails

Oct 1, 2009, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Tell you what, give Dabo the same 5/6 years that Beamer was ]

When Beamer took over VT, they stank. We used to whup them. Beamer built them from nothing. Dabo took over a pretty full cupboard with regards to player, facilities, tradition, fan-base, etc. VT had NONE of that when Beamer took over.

I'm bummed that our expectations have sank so low that fans think that Dabo should get a 4 year pass to do on-the-job training and get up to the level of experienced coaches. If he does equal or worse than Bowden in wins and crowns, then I don't see why we should keep him more than 2 full seasons unless maybe his recruiting classes are stellar.

I fear that if Dabo wins 9 games or less (like Bowden), recruits will jump ship because they'll figure that if Clemson was willing to fire Bowden after 8-9 win seasons, they'll also fire Dabo. If so, then Clemson's program will take a hit for many more years.

I hope Dabo leads Clemson to 12-2.

hey razz, i'm with you. i understand what condition the

Oct 1, 2009, 4:46 PM

gobbler's program was in too well. heck, i've probably been to 60+ of their home games. but it still took beamer 13 years to win an outright title in the Big East.

i do think dabo deserves 4 years should things progress along the way. now let's define that progression... :)

if things stay 'the same' after 3, it will be a good time to move on and dabo says he agrees.

Beamer has no reason to whine. He wins the ACC about

Oct 1, 2009, 2:27 PM [ in reply to I don't hear Beamer whine about being 1 play away every year ]

every year.

Of course TB was right about parity. He was just wrong

Oct 1, 2009, 1:27 PM

for saying it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. good point........... :-)***

Oct 1, 2009, 1:40 PM

In every close game in the history of football....

Oct 1, 2009, 1:55 PM

the losing team was "one play away."

Tommy Bowden is not a sage for making that comment. He is simply explaining why Clemson lost in the least personally accountable way possible. I understand that some people appreciate his style and some people detest it. This comment is certainly a "fact," but it is not an answer to why Clemson lost. It is like a flair dropped from a jet that has been fired on. It's an escape, not a solution. It is a smart comment, but just not in the way you portray it in this article.

Also, I think Bowden was fired for a lot more than the 2008 Maryland and Wake Forest loss. He was given 10 years to win a championship and he didn't.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Burns: I hate it when Tommy Bowden is right

Oct 1, 2009, 8:52 PM

For the past years Clemson has been coached to mediocrity. The teams put on the playing field play "not to lose" not "to win."
The year Clemson won the national title, was a team of players who played. There were few stars...just a will to win. Most of the teams in the 80's were teams that were disciplined and somewhat balanced. With the talent Clemson has, They should control the ball for better than 40 minutes. Instead they rely on defense with no ball control, and the big play. Consistent wins come with consistent teams.
I have been a Clemson fan for 50 years. Clemson needs the discipline of a Danny Ford team. Even if Clemson lost, their opponents knew they were beaten physcially...on both sides of the ball. There can be no substitute for the desire "play to win"

Clemson was 1 head coach away the last 10 years***

Oct 1, 2009, 8:52 PM

Re: Clemson was 1 head coach away the last 10 years***

Oct 1, 2009, 10:00 PM

And they still are.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic