Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Sep 21, 2009, 11:33 AM

Starting right tackle Chris Hairston sprained the MCL in his left knee during the third quarter of Saturday’s 25-7 victory over the Boston College Eagles. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes

Sep 21, 2009, 12:04 PM

To the author of this article.

Thanks for the story, but as a writer, I think you need to make a few changes.

Specifically, if you are adding information into a quote for clarification purposes, you should use the [ ] characters, not parenthesis.

Example:
“He (Hairston) looked fairly good this morning (Sunday),”

Should Read:
“He [Hairston] looked fairly good this morning [Sunday],”

Obviously this isn't a huge deal, but it is the correct way. And since this article is considered a publication, I think it should use accurate punctuation.

Also, you need to consider your audience in your article. For example, you can assume the average reader of this article will understand when the game occured.

Thus, "He certainly left his presence on the field yesterday (Saturday).” probably doesn't need the Saturday clarification as the article already states when the comments were made and the average person knows Saturday comes before Sunday.

Sep 21, 2009, 12:14 PM

Good lord, man!!!!

Sep 21, 2009, 12:22 PM

No doubt. When did this become English 340?

Sep 21, 2009, 12:31 PM

It's not.

But shouldn't we expect AT LEAST English 101 in a professionally written article?

If TigerNet's main page articles aren't to be considered professionally, then I might as well go read "Joe Idiot's" blog somewhere and accept the mistakes.

Re: I did'nt know before i ever started posting on t-net

Sep 21, 2009, 1:14 PM

that, there was 101 ways to write what i've just written. I was constantly being arrested by the t-net spelling and punctuation police. I soon learned that we all can't be perfect for everyone. But i did buy a dictionary to improve on my spelling. At the age of 57 and disable, i have no intentions of going back to school to relearn english 101. So when ever any one tries to read a post i've written and the punctuations aren't in the right place or lack of. Just move onto the next thread or post b/c, you already know im not going back to take english 101 ever again. And it does'nt make me love the Clemson Tigers or our fans any less or any more. Just sayin !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did'nt know before i ever started posting on t-net

Sep 21, 2009, 1:20 PM

Hughes is our leftside DE, so he will be matched up with your RT

I believe Hairston was moved to RT in the GT game because

Sep 21, 2009, 1:23 PM

Corey Lambert could handle Tec's defensive end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah....You tell him.***

Sep 21, 2009, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

you dont get out much do you??***

Sep 21, 2009, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

Yet, you're going to let "Horn Frogs" go? :-)***

Sep 21, 2009, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

Your English 101 prof would be proud***

Sep 21, 2009, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

Or you could have pointed out that Hairston is our LT

Sep 21, 2009, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

and not our RT

Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hu

Sep 21, 2009, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

you're actually off base here.

This is written in AP Style.

I believe you made an error....

Sep 21, 2009, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

I am relatively sure that when making an introductory greeting such as "To the author of this article." the proper punctuation is a colon and not a period. I believe if we are going to criticize a lack of proper punctuation usage that the critic should be held to the same standard.

How ironic that YOU made so many mistakes in your post!

Sep 21, 2009, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

Your opening salutation line should end with a colon or comma, not a period.

Your second sentence is completely ambiguous as to who is the writer, you or the author.

In your third sentence you should have used "parentheses" (plural) instead of "parenthesis" singular.

In your last sentence you should not have placed a comma, not a period inside the quotation marks.

This is a low-budget blog so most readers don't get all #### about grammar. The idea is to quickly and cheaply disperse good information without necessarily being delayed by, or incurring the cost of, a proof-reading staff.

But if you're going to throw stones in public, you might want to make sure that your English is perfect when doing so.

I should do more proofng. "Should have placed a comma..."***

Sep 21, 2009, 1:24 PM

You just got pwned by this post***

Sep 21, 2009, 4:24 PM [ in reply to How ironic that YOU made so many mistakes in your post! ]

One more thing... Next time just send the author an email.

Sep 21, 2009, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

A link to the author's email adddress is at the top of the article. Never critique someone publicly when you can do so privately.

Get a life.

Sep 21, 2009, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

I think the reprorting [oops made a spelling mistake [reporting]] is more important than the grammar.

haha whAT A [######] (you)***

Sep 21, 2009, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Injury Could Force Tigers to Plan B on Stopping TCU's Hughes ]

Stick that [ ] up your ( ) !***

Sep 21, 2009, 2:16 PM

I'm glad it's not season ending!***

Sep 23, 2009, 7:18 AM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic