Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Mar 10, 2009, 10:08 AM

The biggest question of the spring is who the starting quarterback will be for the Tigers in the fall, and Monday's first practice provided a glimpse into the two front-runners. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins

Mar 10, 2009, 10:31 AM

Just so you know, author. If you add words into a quote you use brackets [ ], not parenthesis.

"I wish [the author] of this article used correct grammar when writing."

now come up here and write that on the board 100 times***

Mar 10, 2009, 10:33 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Artistic license....***

Mar 10, 2009, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why let good grammar get in the way of a story? Much Less

Mar 10, 2009, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins ]

the facts.....not that they got any wrong in this story.....;-0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

The irony goblin strikes again. Your first sentence is a...

Mar 10, 2009, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins ]

fragment. Consider revising. HA!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is an Internet Law. One cannot criticize someone else's

Mar 10, 2009, 12:05 PM

grammar without making a grammatical error themselves within their criticism.

Similarly, one cannot demean someone else's intelligence without misspelling a word in their post, preferrably the most insulting word (for example, "Your an ediot!").

You can't fight the Internet Law.

null

The sentence has to be correct without the added brackets.

Mar 10, 2009, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins ]

"I wish of this article used correct grammar when writing."

Ironic indeed

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rules of Grammar (for the idiot above)

Mar 10, 2009, 10:55 AM

Rules of grammar (for the idiot)

Rule 1. Use parentheses to enclose words or figures that clarify or are used
as an aside (such as in the story above).
Examples: I expect five hundred dollars ($500).
He finally answered (after taking five minutes to think) that he did not understand the question.
Commas could have been used in the above example. Parentheses show less emphasis or importance.
Em dashes, which could also have been used instead of parentheses, show emphasis.

Rule 2. Use full parentheses to enclose numbers or letters used for listed items.
Example: We need an emergency room physician who can (1) think quickly, (2) treat patients respectfully, and (3) handle complaints from the public.

Rule 3. Periods go inside parentheses only if an entire sentence is inside the parentheses.
Examples: Please read the analysis (I enclosed it as Attachment A.).
OR
Please read the analysis. (I enclosed it as Attachment A.)
OR
Please read the analysis (Attachment A).

FYI - You can also use brackets, but typically you use brackets to emphasize something within a parenthetical concept.

Tigerkoty is wrong...

Mar 10, 2009, 11:06 AM

Straight from the MLA:

Adding or Omitting Words In Quotations

If you add a word or words in a quotation, you should put brackets around the words to indicate that they are not part of the original text.

Example:
Jan Harold Brunvand, in an essay on urban legends, states: "some individuals [who retell urban legends] make a point of learning every rumor or tale" (78).

If you omit a word or words from a quotation, you should indicate the deleted word or words by using ellipsis marks, which are three periods (...) preceded and followed by a space.

Example:
In an essay on urban legends, Jan Harold Brunvand notes that "some individuals make a point of learning every recent rumor or tale ... and in a short time a lively exchange of details occurs" (78).

I graduated Clemson with a degree in Electrical Engineering and I even know/remember that. Before you go calling people idiots, you better make sure you're right...else, you look like the bigger idiot. The only thing the "idiot" did wrong was use the word "quote" instead of "quotation."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Tigerkoty is wrong...

Mar 11, 2009, 11:20 AM

Do you seriously think that news articles are supposed to be written in MLA style? Just curious.

Re: Rules of Grammar (for the idiot above)

Mar 10, 2009, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Rules of Grammar (for the idiot above) ]

The only idiot around here is someone who has nothing else to do with their time than correct grammar on a Sports Board? This is a sad, sad, state of affairs.

Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins

Mar 10, 2009, 10:57 AM

Congrats Mr. Hood on your story - perhaps the second grade grammar teacher has let her students run amok on her computer. Hopefully she reins them in soon and they get off Tigernet

You failed first grade grammar apparently****

Mar 10, 2009, 11:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if you use APA format? ******

Mar 10, 2009, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same as MLA, must use brackets

Mar 10, 2009, 11:21 AM

From APA:

Adding Material Within Quotations

Use square brackets to enclose material that you add to or change within a quotation to allow it to fit grammatically into a sentence.

Example
The boy tells us that "while she [Mangan's sister] spoke she turned a silver bracelet round and round her wrist" (Jones, 1994, p. 207).

Re: Same as MLA, must use brackets

Mar 10, 2009, 11:26 AM

See the link -

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/566/01/

Look at parentheses - you are all idiots.

Quotation Grammar for the moron

Mar 10, 2009, 11:38 AM

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/04/

We're not talking about normal text, it's text that's in a quotation. Learn how to read before you post again.

Re: What if you use APA format? ******

Mar 10, 2009, 11:55 AM [ in reply to What if you use APA format? ****** ]

Only on Tigernet could one find a major argument about grammar mistakes in an article about quarterbacks-lol

brackets indicate a matrix, you ####### tards...

Mar 11, 2009, 12:56 AM

...i was expecting some comments about the article's content, not about a grammar question.

i would like to congratulate you all, however, for giving block-c more ammo.

this entire commentary section fits into the dsot category.

p.s. the subject line in this post indicates sarcasm.

Ironic TigerKoty improperly used a dash instead of a period.***

Mar 10, 2009, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: All Eyes on Korn and Parker as Spring Practice Begins ]

^^^^^ Ghey thread of the day ^^^^^^***

Mar 10, 2009, 11:31 AM

I vote biggest idiot of the day (tigerkoty)***

Mar 10, 2009, 11:39 AM

how about who gives a ####?***

Mar 10, 2009, 11:48 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic