Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Purnell is an amazing coach, but I have one problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Purnell is an amazing coach, but I have one problem

Jan 30, 2009, 11:30 AM

with him.

He is too stubborn with the press. The press is awesome when we are playing lesser competition and can force tons of turnovers. That said, it just DOES NOT WORK AGAINST GOOD TEAMS. I've been thinking this for as long as I can remember us using the press.

He made a great adjustment and quit pressing in the second half, but I felt the adjustment could have been made WAY earlier. VT was absolutely destroying our press in the first half, yet we kept trying it. I'm just glad we finally fell back into a half court defense and sometimes trapped in the half court. It was MUCH more effective.

If Purnell even thinks about trying to press Duke on wednesday, I will start to question him. Because to me, it is blatantly obvious that good teams can beat the press and rack up transition points. IMO, it would be a terrible coaching decision to try and press Duke.

All in all, Purnell has worked wonders here. We need to give him a raise and an extension today.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you see how tired VT was in the 2nd half?

Jan 30, 2009, 11:32 AM

Maybe the press worked somewhat.

it's amazing how teams with more talent keep beating us***

Jan 30, 2009, 11:32 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: Purnell is an amazing coach, but I have one problem

Jan 30, 2009, 11:33 AM

IF OP had gotten out of the press in the 1st half Seth could have countered and we may have been doomed in the 2nd. With OP waiting until half time to adjust ol Seth was kept quessing at half time. That;s my take anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's it going to take for some of you to trust OP?

Jan 30, 2009, 11:36 AM

He does know what he's doing and I believe he knows more about coaching bball than everyone in this place combined!

GEEZ!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Him to explain what he's thinking all the time***

Jan 30, 2009, 11:37 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

That wouldn't even work for some of these people.

Jan 30, 2009, 11:55 AM

Some just aren't happy unless they're bitching. lol

GO TIGERS!!

Jan 30, 2009, 11:37 AM

I think we should stick with what we know every game until it is proven not to work against whoever we happen to be playing. The press is great for us to tire out the other team with, but getting way behind isnt worth it most of the time. If we run the press against Duke and they get ahead by 15 in the first half, it would take a miracle for us to come back in the second. I realize this is just my opinion and know that I am not capable to lead a basketball team to anything other than a dismal loss.

I fully trust OP to make whatever adjustments it takes to win. He is probably one of the top 10 current coaches in the country in my orange eyed opinion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something you might want to consider....

Jan 30, 2009, 11:38 AM

It was obviously that VTech had a good plan against the press, yet OP continued to use it. The fatigue factor against an opponent with a shallow bench was one reason.

I'd like to offer another.

If OP had called off the press before halftime, we would have stopped some of VTech's success (though Delaney's 247-foot halftim jumper would still count.) HOWEVER, it would have tipped Greenberg, who likely would have spent halftime scheming an answer for it. Greenberg may be slimey, but he's a decent coach.

Instead, OP held on to the press until the half...even a bit into the second half. Then poof! It's gone. Sudden;y the things VTech were diong started to fail ... about the same time their legs started getting heavy. Greenberg can't coach them out of this sea change and the rout is on.

Look at the Illinois game for a similar scenario. OP knows what he's doing.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good pts. I have always liked giving...

Jan 30, 2009, 11:44 AM

teams different looks on defense. Switching from press, to half court trap, then to man full court, man half court, 2-3 zone. Give them various looks to keep them on their toes.

Your sig is hilarious. I used to love that game.***

Jan 30, 2009, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Something you might want to consider.... ]

When jonspider made it for all the Duck whiners...

Jan 30, 2009, 12:26 PM

...after Boyd's decision, I laughed and laughed. I'm keeping it around until signing day.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the timing was good

Jan 30, 2009, 11:39 AM

If you change it up too early, you give the other team time to prepare for the change at halftime. It's easy for a team to get in a comfort zone when up by about 10 at the half, so you can use that to your advantage when they panic a little by the new defensive look and deteriorating lead. I think Purnell has the experience to know when to make these calls.

Cool, I can check another one off the list

Jan 30, 2009, 11:39 AM

This coach never makes adjustments ... CHECK

This coach doesn't know how to stick with what works ... CHECK

This coach was too slow with his adjustments ... CHECK

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cool, I can check another one off the list

Jan 30, 2009, 11:48 AM

Wow, there is a lot of hostility on this board. Calm down guys, I was just expressing a concern I have going into the Duke game.

Do y'all really think we should press Duke? I know Purnell knows way more than any of us, but I think we'll try to press Duke on wednesday and I just don't think it will work. That's all I'm saying.

I understand where y'all are coming from on waiting for halftime to leave them guessing. That makes perfect sense. I didn't look into it like that, after all I am just a dumb fan. I just think we will get slaughtered if we try to press Duke and I think it's fair of me to say that...wouldn't you?

Mine was intended as hostile

Jan 30, 2009, 11:49 AM

I was merely pointing out that Tigernet LOVES to suggest and argue over adjustments

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something else to consider...T-netters do not matter.****

Jan 30, 2009, 11:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

speak for yourself***

Jan 30, 2009, 11:48 AM

Jan 30, 2009, 11:50 AM

Congrats, your post caused me to log-in.
Do you not know that a press isn't only designed for turnovers? It is also to wear down the other team.
For example, lets say a team is down 15 pts and they come back because the other team is worn down! Gee! I wonder who did that last night! Wow!

Jan 30, 2009, 11:55 AM

I realize what the press does. It wears teams down and hopefully creates turnovers. I see that. However, I don't believe the reward is worth the risk a lot of times. How many wide open 3's did VT make when we were pressing? How many easy dunks did they get when we were pressing? They had a GREAT gameplan and kudos to them. Looking back, it's hard to question it because we won. Looking forward, however, and seeing Duke...that's another thing.

Jan 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

They made the three in the first half, but missed in the second half! Duke lives and dies by the three, so the press will do the same to them. You're right, lay-ups should never happen on a press!

Congrats, your post caused me to log-in and give you a point***

Jan 30, 2009, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Purnell is an amazing coach, but I have one problem ]

Re: Don't chunk the Press, just mix it up a little

Jan 30, 2009, 12:04 PM

Can't press everybody all the time. Some teams are better when you press them, so pack in and make them play half court.

thought we should've forced Wake into a half court game also***

Jan 30, 2009, 12:22 PM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic