Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden and Grobe Weekly Press Conference Quotes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Oct 7, 2008, 6:52 PM

Quotes from Clemson football head coach Tommy Bowden during his weekly press conference. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

to summarize:

Oct 8, 2008, 12:45 AM

Grobe > Bowden

Thus, 2>5 ???***

Oct 8, 2008, 9:17 AM

Re: Thus, 1>0 ???***

Oct 8, 2008, 1:05 PM

titles, all that counts..

So FSU should keep Bobby around???***

Oct 8, 2008, 2:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a shame, but our players will have to rely almost

Oct 8, 2008, 11:29 AM

solely on themselves in order to win this one. Grobe and his staff will most certainly out-coach, out-adjust, and out-strategize TB, RS, & Co. Since our coaches will not stretch the field, make defensive and offensive adjustments, and are predictable in their play calling, our players will have to really step up in a big way to overcome those types of disadvantages.

Not trying to be negative, but I'm really sick of our team going into games, handicapped by their coaching staff. Winning a game is tough enough without having to also overcome coaching incompetence.

We can certainly win this one, but I think it will require that our players come out fired up, hit Wake right in the chops, score first, and build a big enough lead early before Grobe can make the changes necessary to come back and win. Ironically, I'll bet that part of Grobe's strategy will be to come out and smash us in the mouth as fast as he can which historically causes our team to fold - see 2nd half of UMD game for the most recent example of this.

I'm hoping we get some leadership this week (and for the rest of the season for that matter) from our seniors, JD, CH, AK, etc., because we sure as heck aren't getting any from our coaching staff.

Go Tigers! Beat Wake!

Re: It's a shame, but our players will have to rely almost

Oct 8, 2008, 11:53 AM

Great job. Your evaluation is dead on. Our players have the uphill battle of having to overcome the incompetance of our coaching staff to win games.

Oct 8, 2008, 12:01 PM

And if we come up on the short end of the stick, rest assured we will hear one of 2 comments from Spence and Bowden:
1. We were a couple of plays away..or

2. Our players did not execute.
their coaching staff is so much better than ours, its scary

Right on. Imagine how many ACC titles if WE had Jim Grobe.***

Oct 8, 2008, 12:59 PM [ in reply to It's a shame, but our players will have to rely almost ]

You mean Jim Grobe who lost to NAVY?***

Oct 8, 2008, 4:32 PM

Re: Which is the same Jim Grobe that has won the ACC.

Oct 8, 2008, 5:22 PM

Trying to diminish Grobe who in 5 years won the ACC with less talent, smaller facilities, and a smaller less-enthused fan base is laughable.

Again- Jim Grobe, that ACC Championship winning coach,

Oct 9, 2008, 11:48 PM [ in reply to You mean Jim Grobe who lost to NAVY?*** ]

out-coached, out-adjusted, and out-strategized Tommy Bowden on national TV.

Oct 9, 2008, 1:17 PM [ in reply to It's a shame, but our players will have to rely almost ]

"part of Grobe's strategy will be to come out and smash us in the mouth as fast as he can which historically causes our team to fold"

Only in the past 10 years my friend, we used to be the ones doing the smash mouth.

"I want to coach a team that opponents don't look forward to playing." - Danny Ford

I absolutely agree with you

Oct 9, 2008, 6:54 PM

Until our team recaptures their toughness, we will continue to lose to teams that have less talent but play a very physical type of game.

thoughts?

Oct 8, 2008, 1:57 PM

If you have read any of my post before you know that I am not a fan of the current coaching staff, however, I just read something on "tiger illustrated" that boggles my mind.

Willy korn amoung countless other players think that rob spence is a great coach and have given him "kudos", saying that he is the reason Clemson is as good(use this term lightly) as they are and the reason many players come to Clemson. I know it is not propper to talk badly of your own coach from a PR standpoint, but it just seems like these players are reading off of que cards. I wish I could sit down and talk to some of these players and ask them if they "really" find nothing wrong with spence or the coaching staff? I think the answer would be very different. It appears that the fans want one thing and the players want another. So who is right??? Sitting in the stands watching plays fail over and over with a boatload of NFL skill, I tend to think that the fans calling for spence to be fired are right. I don't see how the players cannot feel the same way, but if they really do like spence it is unlikely that he will ever be fired. Clemson football is soooo screwed up right now. What is the path we sould take? Who knows? I guess we will find out at the end of the season though.

Maybe D-1 football players and coaches .......

Oct 8, 2008, 4:34 PM

understand the game a bit more than the average fan who believes that every play that doesn't score is a failure?

We approach every conf. game the same. That's why we

Oct 8, 2008, 5:26 PM

keep losing them?????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Nuff said!

Use our Speed!!!

Oct 8, 2008, 6:20 PM

The reason Clemson has lost the games we have is because we couldn't run the ball in those games mostly. Maryland sold out in the second half and dropped everyone down on defense to stop the run. We couldn't protect Harper to "stretch the field" as some suggest. The best solution in this case would be to play Spiller 100% of the time and get him the ball on the edge. Keep feeding him and he will break it. Davis requires some better blocking and honest play out of the defense than CJ. We should use Davis after we have a lead and the defense is wore down from chasing Spiller. The idea we need to always use Davis and Spiller in rotation is a bad one. Also instead of so many wide out screens why not run some traditional RB screens and middle screens to Spiller to slow the rush down? I think we have run one all year. Anyway, go Tigers!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic