Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Fire All The Coaches? Really?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Jan 23, 2008, 6:55 PM

Or is the athletic department as a whole in better shape than you think? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

w00t!!***

Jan 23, 2008, 7:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a word on Tigernet for people who make those kinds

Jan 23, 2008, 7:30 PM

of assertions: Idiot.

Re: Commentary: Fire All The Coaches? Really?

Jan 23, 2008, 7:32 PM

i agree that coaches are doing great but still at the same time clemson fans want to be elite and who doesnt. People are just getting tired of the same old stuff. I personally am getting tired of the quote "maybe next year" in football, but I know each year we seem to be getting better. Baseball we have one of the best coaches and usually finish high in rankings. OP has done the best job the basketball team's record increases every year. Clemson fans just need to believe our day will come

When has Clemson ever been elite for us to expect it?!***

Jan 23, 2008, 7:39 PM

he never said we expect it, he said we wanted it***

Jan 23, 2008, 7:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some do expect it though, just saying***

Jan 23, 2008, 7:43 PM

Jan 23, 2008, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Commentary: Fire All The Coaches? Really? ]

I find that comment hilarious. Considering Barker has spent how many years to get the University in the Top 25? (which actually has an effect on the job market for Clemson Graduates) verse sports. I am a DIE hard sports fan and would LOVE to have a Nat'l Championship year in and year out, but it can't happen.

So, my suggestion is this: FIRE BARKER! He seems to be the one under producing. He's raised the tuition EVERY year I've been here and only put me in more and more debt, but has barely moved in the rankings. Yet, sports have continously been in the Top 25 year in and year out.

Idiots.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read....

Jan 24, 2008, 7:54 AM

Barker will go down as one of the finest Presidents Clemson ever knew. The man has committed his life to putting Clemson, both academically and athletically, on the map.

Jan 24, 2008, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Commentary: Fire All The Coaches? Really? ]

In response to RobertsonCU post, I'm afraid your cone of intellectual vision is very limited - sounds like its limited to sports. Ever heard of CU-ICAR or any number of other initiatives Barker has been a part of to make Clemson a player on a national scale? The Board of Trustees raises tuition, not Barker. If you're going in debt more and more that makes you the idiot for not saving earlier in your life to be able to go to college. Barker is not to blame for your lack of financial acumen. Clemson is also well respected as a research institution as well as many other academic fields. Be careful who you call an IDIOT, idiot.

Jan 24, 2008, 11:57 AM

It was a sitirical comment which you took out of context. Yes, I know the system of tuition, lack of funding from the state level, etc. I also am an out of state student that did save close to 50,000 before I came (which was sucked up in two years) as well as working numerous jobs during every break and during the school year while still making the Dean's and President's list year in and year out.

So, to consider me an idiot is mere opinion and you are given that right. To say my vision is limited to merely sports is a false assumption.

I love this University, what it stands for and everything else that comes along with it (even if that means the PC #### that Barker does to make "Top 20" -- which I strongly feel has strayed away from the values and traditions that Thomas Green Clemson wanted for this University, that is another arguement for another time).

To put it plainly, Barker has done a lot of great things for this University. Bowden for the football team, OP for basketball and Leggett for baseball. So, to merely base a hiring and firing off of Nat'l rankings, they should ALL be fired. But that would be silly, wouldn't it?

Idiot. (IMHO, which I am so rightly granted to state!)

Jan 24, 2008, 10:33 PM

I know hindsight is 20/20 but if you had spent a year there to become a state resident, you could have saved up a little more to add to the $50,000 and then maybe not gone into debt until 3 years?? :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2008, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Commentary: Fire All The Coaches? Really? ]

BOY,yes BOY:study hard,respect your betters,if not your elders and shut the F up. You aren't paying for shot. Give it 10 to 20 years and come back as a man. Punk.

Jan 25, 2008, 10:27 PM

1flatiger:

I'm glad you are omnipotent. How can you instruct another individual what to do and say without validity behind your reasoning? I see no reason to neither respect nor care what your opinion is.

The definition of "betters" is in the eye of the beholder and as for elders; I've come to learn one must earn their respect. What am I not paying for now that I will be in 10 - 20 years? Car insurance, rent utilities, maintenance on my truck, etc? I think I've been doing that for the past 5 years and the only way I'll be paying for more in the future is if I put myself in a situation of extreme debt. This will not happen seeing as I will be making enough money to invest and live within my means.

There is no reason for me to have to explain anything to you due to your ignorant approach of "wisdom." I hope you didn't graduate from Clemson.

Jan 27, 2008, 2:16 AM

point for standing your ground

Fantastic Commentary! Couldn't agree more!***

Jan 23, 2008, 8:06 PM

Thanks, Dan....some people needed to read that.***

Jan 23, 2008, 8:09 PM

Logic and rational thought

Jan 23, 2008, 8:11 PM

So nice to see these two together on Tigernet. Thanks, Dan!

Maybe Vulcan, very logical. Live long and prosper***

Jan 23, 2008, 8:41 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2008, 8:35 PM

Dan
Most of the clemson fans I talk to think that The job is not being done by the coaches but its not enough to fire anyone. They just have that hopeless feeling that nothing is going to get better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very good article, but the title is a product of Tigernet.

Jan 23, 2008, 8:40 PM

You rarely see people making posts (serious ones) that actually want the coach fired. Yeah, in 2003 there were many wanting TB gone after the WF game (myself included). Since, I haven't seen many that has wanted TB fired. I have seen a few that wouldn't mind Spence leaving, none wanting the other football coaches gone, none for O.P. or Leggett either. Point being, when coaches are questioned here, the "we want the coaches fired" sentiment occurs by the leghumpers. An no leghumpers, you're not labeled that because you support the program. You know why you are. And for the record, I can't speak for the others that use the term, but I'm only referring to a handful of posters when using it. I believe the majority of us are quite smart and rational fans. We just happened to be passionate too.

Are you kidding??...

Jan 23, 2008, 9:11 PM

there were so many Fire TB posts it was sickening. Just because they got deleted doesn't mean the posts never were there.

Don't Fire All the Coaches

Jan 23, 2008, 8:51 PM

but hire a psychologist for the basketball team. Something has to be done with the free throw shooting!

yeah....don't fire ALL the Coaches....

Jan 25, 2008, 11:39 AM

just Spence ;)

MITT '08

Photobucket

Ok, keep in mind I'm a relatively new Clemson fan

Jan 23, 2008, 8:52 PM

I came here to go to college randomly. 3 years ago I knew nothing of Clemson really. I had seen them play football on TV a couple of times and knew that they had upset UT in the Peach Bowl of '03.
What really surprised me when I got here and started to "buy into" Clemson sports, is realizing that Clemson fans have tremendously high expectations for teams that (please don't berate me too much) haven't really done much on the national scene. I talk to people who ask me where I go to school and most of them can't name the state we are in.
Before you get on to me, I know that the soccer team is good, the baseball team was in the college world series a few years ago, the basketball team was the last undefeated team last year, the football team won the national championship in '81, etc.... But for a team that is not a national powerhouse year in and year out, our fans have ridiculously high expectations.
This isn't all bad, but when we have a 9 win season and people are calling for Bowden's head and what not, I find it a little excessive if you ask me.

The "where is Clemson" argument doesn't fly

Jan 23, 2008, 9:21 PM

It always irritates me when someone uses the argument that people don't know where Clemson is as a testament that Clemson is not a national player, whether we are or are not.

All schools that don't have the name of their state (or major city) in their name have this issue. I guarantee you that about the same number of people who don't know where Clemson is also don't know that Notre Dame is in Indiana.

Rutgers, Baylor, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Purdue, East Carolina, Marshall, Rice, SMU, Tulane, Army, Navy, Ball State, Bowling Green, Kent State, Air Force, Brigham Young, Troy, Villanova, Georgetown, William & Mary, every ivy league school except Penn, and many others have this very same issue.

It means absolutely nothing if people don't know we are located in SC. Heck, I bet plenty of people on the street couldn't tell you where SC in on a US map, much less where Columbia is located.

Stop using this argument, it means nothing.

Go Tigers,
BigCat

Re: The "where is Clemson" argument doesn't fly

Jan 23, 2008, 11:16 PM

Ok, sorry. Well all my other points are valid, I feel.

How'd you get here? Sick a pin in the map?? Leave !!********

Jan 24, 2008, 1:27 AM [ in reply to Ok, keep in mind I'm a relatively new Clemson fan ]

I know it's hard to admit for you guys sometimes

Jan 24, 2008, 9:02 AM

but academics do play a role in deciding where to go to college.
If you want to get on to me for making observations, I'll go to school somewhere where I'm not challenged to think, like USC.

Re: I know it's hard to admit for you guys sometimes

Jan 24, 2008, 11:58 AM

Using logic on here drives some posters crazy - Its great to want every sport to win everything every year, but its not goonna happen.

You ain't from the south,are ya,Bo?***

Jan 24, 2008, 3:57 AM [ in reply to Ok, keep in mind I'm a relatively new Clemson fan ]

Re: Ok, keep in mind I'm a relatively new Clemson fan

Jan 25, 2008, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Ok, keep in mind I'm a relatively new Clemson fan ]

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1869&end=2007&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

Don't have time to check the accuracy of this web site, however, if it is accurate we are number 30 in all time winning percentage in football. I think expectations are in line with an all time top 30 program.

Additionally if you take a time span of 14 years from 1978-1992, an era in which many current contributing members of IPTAY lived through, we were 5th in the nation in winning percentage. This would certainly qualify as elite status. Are expectations high...absolutely. I wouldn't have it any other way.

And before anyone says it, don't give me that crap about how the ACC was down during that time frame or that it was a different game blah blah blah. All may be true. However, for the most part, we beat top 20 or better teams in our bowl match-ups. Also, and I don't have the statistics to back this up, but I remember in the mid and late eighties we finished in the top 10 or better of recruiting rankings every year.

I know this was a long time ago. However, many people still remember well our elite status for over a decade and want a return to excellance.

Fire Dan Scott!!!!***

Jan 23, 2008, 9:06 PM

Jan 23, 2008, 9:37 PM

Oliver has Clemson getting better each year. Tommy is doing just fine. I love Clemson and they are on the rise evrywhere. Let's beat Miami on Sunday!

just face it....everyone is waiting for a championship.....***

Jan 23, 2008, 11:19 PM

If you don't want a Championship why do you play ???******

Jan 24, 2008, 1:30 AM

You play to win the game. YOU PLAY... TO WIN THE GAME!

Jan 24, 2008, 8:18 AM

-Herm Edwards-

Jan 24, 2008, 12:08 AM

why does he have to be named "Julio"?.......:)

Way to see the donut and not the hole, Dan!***

Jan 24, 2008, 7:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Send this to Bart W. He needs sum edukashunn!***

Jan 24, 2008, 7:45 AM

Re:Obviously you've been drinking the "Kool-Aid"***

Jan 24, 2008, 9:01 AM

Jan 24, 2008, 4:54 PM

Hoolio,indeed.Whino wino would be more like it. The constant complainers are not Clemson people, they are only egomaniacs:95% maniac,5% ego.As George Patton said,and i paraphrase: They know about as much about Clemson as they know about fornicating I.E.:nothing.

Keep Spence, Fire everybody else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 24, 2008, 5:42 PM

Just kidding.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks Dan for putting those idiots

Jan 24, 2008, 7:12 PM

who want to win a national title in their places!! you should be happy with what you got!! it could be worse!!! We don't play for titles! we play just to play and to graduate players!!

Re: thanks Dan for putting those idiots

Jan 24, 2008, 7:13 PM

iggyme has the right name for his comments, trouble is, no function to ignore his lame ###.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrote a whole article because of one fans comment?

Jan 24, 2008, 7:14 PM

First off Football, Basketball and Baseball are all 99.9% of people on here give a darn about. Baseball has an ACC title within the last two years and is a regular visitor to Omaha. (Fan is an Idiot) Basketball has always sucked. Purnell has them going in the right direction. (Fan is an Idiot) Now we get to Football. Recruiting is going well but our guys get beat by lesser teams. We have a habbit of losing. A team like BC has the habbit of winning. I can understand this fans sentiment watching a game slip away that we should win. I don't agree with his cure for the problem but he probably did'dt mean what he said anyway. People get tired of so close yet so far. When it comes to Bowden he has simply done to well to fire. He has never won the Atlantic Division and his bowl record is horrible. South Carolina should pay half his salary they are as responsible for him being employed at Clemson as CU is.

missing the point

Jan 25, 2008, 8:28 AM

Neither the comment nor the article was about football. It was about how SOME "fans" can miss the forest for the trees. These same fans are gloom and doom all the time to the point that they don't realize the overall condition of Clemson Athletics.

The Athletic Department was not healthy with TDP took over. In fact I've heard some say that it wasn't on life support just yet but the respirator was in the room. The article is about the overall condition, not just football. I love football as much as anyone but it's not the only sport.

Message was edited by: BENMILS®

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic