Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Late Auburn Touchdown Dooms Clemson In OT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Jan 1, 2008, 12:01 AM

Loss ends Tigers' season at 9-4; Spiller rushes for 112 yards. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really Tommy? People hate losing? Say it isn't so.***

Jan 1, 2008, 12:03 AM

Re: Late Auburn Touchdown Dooms Clemson In OT

Jan 1, 2008, 1:23 AM

Typical Clemson loss...can't score and questionable play calling. We need some offensive shake up. With the talent we have the Tigers should have won this game. I see so many bowl teams with great play callng and the Tigers are so predictable.

AU averaged less than 17 points allowed per game...

Jan 1, 2008, 8:41 AM

and we only got the benefit of one turnover...less than they average giving away during their games. You do realize that AU had the 8th best total defense IN THE NATION, right?

I thought our long passes, where our receivers were running free 40 yards down field, were good play calls...too bad we couldn't connect on them. Guess that was Tommy and Rob's fault some how.

You have completely oversimplified the reason we lost last night...no big suprise though.

Re: AU averaged less than 17 points allowed per game...

Jan 1, 2008, 10:19 AM

I couldn't agree more. The play caling was fine, we just did not hit the passes that were open. We hit those, and it would have been a Clemson victory.

Bring on recruiting!

Re: AU averaged less than 17 points allowed per game...

Jan 1, 2008, 2:39 PM

We still call too many or those #### Screen passes. Man did those suck last night.

You do realize that CU***

Jan 1, 2008, 1:54 PM [ in reply to AU averaged less than 17 points allowed per game... ]

You do realize that CU's defense was ranked higher...

Jan 1, 2008, 2:03 PM [ in reply to AU averaged less than 17 points allowed per game... ]

and AU's offense didn't have nearly as much talent and Clemson's.

Would you mind not showing up after a bowl loss?

Jan 1, 2008, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Late Auburn Touchdown Dooms Clemson In OT ]

Kinda reduces your credibility, to just show up and start complaining after a loss.

Maybe we need a Potential Coot tag for people with few posts who join right after losses (speaking in general, not at alex)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see you just joined Tigernet today do us all a favor....

Jan 1, 2008, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Late Auburn Touchdown Dooms Clemson In OT ]

Don't bother posting any more you COOT.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My only gripe is that the running game usually opens up

Jan 1, 2008, 6:45 AM

the passing game. Why is the inverse not true in our case, or in anyone else's case? I am a football theory novice, so it's a serious question....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My only gripe is that the running game usually opens up

Jan 1, 2008, 10:39 AM

The field was open for the pass due partly to our successful running game. I can think of a minimum of 6 passes by Harper that were overthrown/underthrown/behind to the receivers. And i'm talking way off. Not just a foot or two. But 3 to 4 yards off. But, yet we still should have won the game. Because the defense and the running game seemed to be just enough. But as usual we were a missed field from winning this game. just like a missed FG to beat Boston College to send us to the ACC Championship game. You can't expect Bucholz to make the 53 yarder, but the 45 yarder in the first should have been made. What else is new.

Jan 1, 2008, 11:33 AM

Harper was awful in this game. He hasn't looked this bad all year. He picked a horrible time to have his worst showing.

Did anyone not know Burns would keep the ball on 3rd down in overtime? I knew, you knew, 98% of the TV audience knew, but Clemson couldn't put a paw on him. He walks in free, we lose yet another big game.

Clemson had a good year. We could possibly be phenomenal next year. Win the big game!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i knew he was gonna run it...

Jan 1, 2008, 1:21 PM

but vincent did get a great shot at him at the line of scrimmage but flat out missed the tackle.

if you think the play calling was fine

Jan 1, 2008, 11:45 AM

you must have been watching a different game.

Harper missed SEVERAL deep TD throws

Jan 1, 2008, 2:05 PM

stop b*tchin about the coaches when the plays were called and the QB and WR's blew it.

Photobucket

The play calling was terrible

Jan 1, 2008, 2:23 PM

We ran 6 or 7 screens and only got positive yardage on one of them. Half the time harper couldn't even complete the screen passes.

Re: The play calling was terrible

Jan 1, 2008, 2:32 PM

strange how everyone has the answers about the plays from the stands and in their dens. Hindsight is always 20-20 why don't some of you offensive greats try it on the sidelines?

Jan 1, 2008, 3:15 PM

My only response is why do we have a kicker that has problems from the hash marks and what do we do but put him in position with screens to the hash marks and say son you hadn't done well all season from the hash marks so go kick it like you did all season. Not totally upset just sometimes I wonder if we look at all the areas of the teams as close as we should for game purposes. I mean he missed like 6 total against GT and BC from hash marks go figure we have 3weeks to prepare and now he is ready to make them after a whole season. GO TIGERSSS fix the mistakes and oh by the way the whole defense does come back that started the game last night TROUBLE for the ACC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good post but one thing...

Jan 1, 2008, 5:30 PM

trouble for the ACC? more like trouble for us. All anyone has to do in order to set up a game-winning TD (BC) or a big game changing play like last nights first TD pass is run multiple toss sweeps or screen plays seeing how we can't stop that. definitely think we need to make serious adjustments but I have full confidence in TB to get it done. 9-4 ain't bad. Go Tigers! Plenty to build on.

Photobucket

Jan 2, 2008, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: The play calling was terrible ]

You can't call plays in the middle of the game to set the kicker up in the middle of the field. Maybe in a last second situation you worry about getting in the middle of the field, but not on 3rd and 10 from the 30. Kickers have to be able to kick from angles

Jan 2, 2008, 2:12 AM [ in reply to The play calling was terrible ]

I'm not going to proclaim to be a great armchair QB, but what I have observed over and over game after game is that even with a lot of offensive talent and speed,our playcalling seems to be designed to run out the clock and to keep from losing,rather than opening it up and blowing some opponents out of the ballpark.I'ts disgusting.

Play calling better, but why call 7-of-10 runs on 1st down?

Jan 1, 2008, 3:12 PM

Having only watched the game once so far, my impression was that the play calling was better than usual. But the thing that bugs me about Spence is that he's so freaking predictable on 1st down. Outside of the half-ending 2-minute drills, he called 68% runs on 1st down and 68% passes on 3rd down. It just seems like opposing defenses are stacked up and anticipating runs on 1st down (and to a lesser extent, 2nd down where Spence called 60% runs). And then the opposing defenses are backed off and ready for passes on 3rd down after Clemson is forced into predictable passing situations thanks to a predictable 1st down. I think opposing defenses take advantage of the fact that that 7-out-of-10 times Spence will run on 1st down and pass on 3rd down. I think it hurts the chances for the players to be successful in both the running and passing games.

It was a great game between two good teams with two great defenses.

Unfortunately Harper was not as accurate as usual, which hurt badly. I think that the loss of Capote, Billie, and Watkins, (Scott & Hamlin) hurt Clemson pretty badly also. But I was impressed that the younger guys stepped in and played as well as they did (giving me hope for next season).

Clemson had so much more talent on offense than Auburn. I believe that if Clemson had better play calling, Clemson would have beaten Auburn (and a few other teams this season). Sure Clemson's players could have executed better, but the same was true of Auburn (and Clemson's other opponents). Some may label me a "hater" or an "idiot" for my opinion. But it's just my opinion based on the results that I've seen over the last couple seasons. I respect anyone's right to have a different opinion-- especially if it's based on data, not religion or emotion.

Re: I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...

Jan 1, 2008, 8:08 PM

Razz, I agree with you. Great post. I think we are too predictable offensively, and that certainly makes the opposing defense's job easier. We did have our opportunities to make some big, game changing plays, but we did not come up with them.

I do have a lot of hope for next season. Matter of fact, I can't remember when I've had hopes this high for our football team. Lots of talent coming back, and hopefully, a lot more talent signing.

Hope everyone had a Happy New Year in spite of the loss.

Fire Coach Rob Spence!!!!

Jan 1, 2008, 8:55 PM

Ever since Spence has been here we have lost the same way in all of the close games...a few examples include BC..Miami...GT.S.Carolina...the latest Auburn..playcalling stinks...our offence needs an identity...not try a play to see if it works and then try it again in the second half and still dont work...and the screen needs to be scratched from the playbook IT DONT WORK!!!...there has been a trend ever since Spence has been at Clemson on how we play the close games....it wasnt like this when Rich was here... I know Tommy is a good guy and he is friends with Spence but business is business and Spence needs to be done away with....i am tired of playing close games and loosing them because of playcalling..i was born a tiger and die a tiger and we need a change

Re: Fire Coach Rob Spence!!!!

Jan 1, 2008, 10:43 PM

Everyone flaming the play calling didn't see the same game I saw. Cullen Harper had a bad game. A very bad game. He was off on 60-70% of his passes. Basically anything deep or to the outside. Also we need a dependable kicker. Among other things kicking has cost us the GT, BC, and this one. Make the field goals and we win. Throw and catch we win. At least next year we'll have Korn to go to if Cullen is off. Cullen will be and should start, but the coaches will have an agenda to play Korn. Most good qbs have a couple of off games a year now days. Willie will have to win a couple next year if we're going to have a great one. Go Tigers!!!

I do have a couple of gripes though. One is with all the attention the wide receiver screens are getting, and the defenses jumping on them so aggressively, where is the screen fake pump and go that Whitehurst hit Baham on to win the Maryland game a couple years ago? We went deep, but if we faked that screen the wideout would be all alone for 20 yards the way some teams jump it. Also we need to get the ball to Spiller in the flat at least 7 or 8 times a game. If they miss one tackle......well you know. If they come up to jump that, someone's running alone downfield. All in all a well called game. Cullen just didn't have it last night.

Jan 2, 2008, 6:49 AM

I somewhat agree with you when you say special teams cost us some games but the way I see it is if they get more agressive playcalling like WF this year they wouldnt be in that situation...pass some on 1st and 2nd down ....i know that Davis wants some yards on those downs but if you keep the defense guessing on 1st and 2nd then he will get some yards ...we are soooo predictable on 1st and 2nd its not funny ...then that leaves us in 3rd and long and then 4th and long with bad field goal angles ...end result no points

Fake WR screen play

Jan 2, 2008, 8:26 AM

People have mentioned why we didn't run this play multiple times since the game.

It wasn't shown very well but we did run it on that series at the end of the 1st half where we went deep 3 passes in a row. On the last play we faked the WR screen to Kelly on the right side and then Harper overthrew Taylor running all by himself (had about 5 or 6 yards on the nearest defender)down the right sideline. We ran it and it was open Harper just missed it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2008, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Fire Coach Rob Spence!!!! ]

amen...we need a HUGE change, starting at the top.

Jan 2, 2008, 8:57 AM

Most of you are fed up with the predrecitable play calling all year, I am one. I you all have called to "execute" Spence. Spence was not the problem, during the game. He set up CU Offence to make great plays and execute easy passes and runs, but the offence did not "execute". It gets down the right play was called most the night but Harper because of defence pressure or lack of accuracy the pass was not completed. Harper was 14-33, 42%, his worse game all season. Kicking, well this is a seriuos issue, execution. This is huge briar bush in the thorn in the fans of the tiger faithful. The Tigers have 2 commits this year that will sign in Feb. What's up wiht the Riverside kid, Jackson? He was not given an opportunity, why?

8-116 and 23-77
This carries and yardages for CJ and JD. CJ and the better average per carry. But you are saying the 83 yard run. So let's do some math. 116-83 = 33. So CJ was 7-33 average of 4.7. Davis average was 3.1. CJ, shold have had the better of the carries, not JD!

One last observation, the "KISS". How many fans in Atlanta and at home saw the kiss. Yes, Davis gave (in my opinion) his farewell kiss after he scored the TD. He was sending a message, so subtle, he was telling the CU faithful good bye. Mark my word, he will not be back.

Execute Plays not Execute Spence and the "KISS"

Jan 2, 2008, 8:58 AM

Most of you are fed up with the predrecitable play calling all year, I am one. I you all have called to "execute" Spence. Spence was not the problem, during the game. He set up CU Offence to make great plays and execute easy passes and runs, but the offence did not "execute". It gets down the right play was called most the night but Harper because of defence pressure or lack of accuracy the pass was not completed. Harper was 14-33, 42%, his worse game all season. Kicking, well this is a seriuos issue, execution. This is huge briar bush in the thorn in the fans of the tiger faithful. The Tigers have 2 commits this year that will sign in Feb. What's up wiht the Riverside kid, Jackson? He was not given an opportunity, why?

8-116 and 23-77
This carries and yardages for CJ and JD. CJ and the better average per carry. But you are saying the 83 yard run. So let's do some math. 116-83 = 33. So CJ was 7-33 average of 4.7. Davis average was 3.1. CJ, shold have had the better of the carries, not JD!

One last observation, the "KISS". How many fans in Atlanta and at home saw the kiss. Yes, Davis gave (in my opinion) his farewell kiss after he scored the TD. He was sending a message, so subtle, he was telling the CU faithful good bye. Mark my word, he will not be back.

Re: Execute Plays not Execute Spence and the "KISS"

Jan 2, 2008, 8:47 PM

dude, are you drunk?

reading your posts made me feel like I was sh**-faced. It took some serious concentration to get through your writing.

I normally am not one to criticize people for spelling/grammatical errors, but your writing is so terrible it makes me want to vomit.

You make some good points in your posts, but please do us a favor and sober up before you make another post.

btw it is not necessary to write two comments that are nearly identical. I know the internet will mess with you sometimes, but that is the beauty in the deleted post.

Jan 3, 2008, 8:15 AM

For the English Scholar you are, here is the edited version. For your info, I do not drink, just terrible at writing. I would have deleted the first post, but did not see and the option.

Most of you are fed up with the predictable play calling all year, I am one. We all have called to "execute" Spence. Spence was not the problem, during the game. He set up CU Offence to make great plays and execute easy passes and runs, but the offence did not "execute". It gets down to the right play was called most the night but Harper because of defense pressure or lack of accuracy the pass was not completed. Harper was 14-33, 42%, his worse game all season.

Kicking, well this is a serious issue, execution. This is huge briar bush in the side in the fans of the tiger faithful. The Tigers have 2 commits this year that will sign in Feb. What's up with the Riverside kid, Jackson? Why was he was not given an opportunity?

8-116 and 23-77, these are the carries and yardages for CJ and JD. CJ had the better average per carry. But you are saying the 83 yard run. So let's do some math. 116-83 = 33. So CJ was 7-33 average of 4.7. Davis average was 3.1. CJ should have had the better of the carries, not JD!

One last observation, the "KISS". How many fans in Atlanta and at home saw the kiss? Yes, Davis gave (in my opinion) his farewell kiss after he scored the TD. He was sending a message, so subtle; he was telling the CU faithful good bye. Mark my word, he will not be back.

Jan 3, 2008, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Execute Plays not Execute Spence and the "KISS" ]

PS: this is previous post from your list. Live by your words.
a simple proposition:
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 11:04 PM Report Abuse Rate:

how about we Tiger fans quit with the insults and negative attitudes until New Year's and just enjoy the holidays?

It seems that no matter where you look on the Tnet, a Clemson fan is criticizing a fellow Clemson fan.

Enough, already!

Jan 4, 2008, 9:27 PM

nice reply,

my apologies to you for that one.

Did Davis force Spence to call a run-heavy game & kiss bye?

Jan 4, 2008, 1:06 AM [ in reply to Execute Plays not Execute Spence and the "KISS" ]

Davis threatened to bolt to the NFL if Spence didn't call his number more in Atlanta, and Spence agreed to do so. I thought that Davis's threat was selfish, and it may have cost Clemson the game. I also thought Spence's concession set a horrible precedent. If Davis leaves after that fiasco, he should really be ashamed of himself.

Re: Did Davis force Spence to call a run-heavy game & kiss bye?

Jan 4, 2008, 8:46 PM

I have friends of mine, very close to the program. JD and RS had a close door meeting 1 week proir to the bowl. They met and JD demanded the ball more or he would leave. JD has become the TO of the Clemson Tigers.

Auburn playing dirty

Jan 2, 2008, 1:33 PM

so yeah, we lost the game straight up - no doubt about that
But the chop block on Scott was horrific. That guy should be ejected for such a dirty play. Also note, the very next play, when Merling destroyed their RT, he tried a leg-whip which is also very much illegal (and dangerous).

Those guys were coached to do that.

Re: Auburn playing dirty

Jan 2, 2008, 10:00 PM

You know, I have to totally agree with you. I saw a lot of "shots" being taken after a play by Auburn players. Never had a problem with them, but I surely do now. No need for it and it's not an excuse, it's about class.

Chop block could cause career ending injury but no ejection?***

Jan 3, 2008, 4:54 AM [ in reply to Auburn playing dirty ]

Did anyone else think that Kelly...

Jan 3, 2008, 11:38 AM

dropped several passes that a receiver of his talent should not have? I admit that Harper had a less than sharp night (maybe the boys had a late night the night before?) but Arron Kelly had several DROPS. He is supposed to be our go-to guy but he let us down especially in the first half.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic