Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Spence, Atlanta And Hoops
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Dec 22, 2007, 8:20 PM

What's on Dan's pre-Christmas mind this time? How about his plate? Check inside to find out. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: Spence, Atlanta And Hoops

Dec 22, 2007, 9:11 PM

I find ur comment to be true in all aspects.But,i do believe that most of the tiger family that goes to or watches evrey tiger game.when Spence get behind in a game.You can read about every play he calls.And the de-fences are ready for them.And the only thing that lets us get away with the plays at times,is our speed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Fulmer makes Spence an offer he can't refuse.

Dec 22, 2007, 10:23 PM

Dan reports that Rob Spence was actually offered other jobs last year. From what I read, Spence interviewed for other jobs, but was not actually offered any jobs... at least not any OC jobs. Maybe he was offered a QB coach job or something that he's qualified for. I sure hope that Fulmer offers him a great job.

Dan reports that, "even though some Clemson fans have turned their anger toward him now that head coach Tommy Bowden's future is no longer in doubt, most seem to believe Spence is doing a good job."

I think many Clemson fans turned their anger toward Rob Spence long before Bowden's contract extension... and probably after last season's UMD game, at the latest.

I seriously doubt that Dan has a scientific survey to support the assertion that most fans think Spence is doing a good job. Everybody I know thinks Rob Spence should have been fired after last year's pathetic play calling (especially after the UMD and SoCar losses)... let along he pathetic play calling against BC. (Trying to run more than pass against BC's #2 run defense and the #104 pass defense when Harper lead the league in pass efficiency? How incompetent! Even the ESPN announcers expressed their incredulity at Clemson's poor play calling about three times.)

Re: I hope Fulmer makes Spence an offer he can't refuse.

Dec 23, 2007, 1:30 AM

Give me a break..I get so tired of hearing how bad Spence is....Most ofthe problems is with short passes and that is from people that dont know football....Half the short passes are check downs and not short pass plays.....if you watch the quarterback you will see that he looks downfield and then throws short.....He watchs more film than any of us and he should know teams weaknesses....If he is this well respected by other teams then that means he is good at what he does...Lay off and learn some football....A lot of Clemson fans are too unrealistic whne it comes to football...We have good coachs for Clemson..We are not a collegiate powerhouse in football and really never have been...We need to wake up and see who we are and be thankful for what we have

Re: I hope Fulmer makes Spence an offer he can't refuse.

Dec 23, 2007, 8:20 AM

Uh....exactly what is your definition of a "powerhouse"? We are ranked 15th after the last regular season poll, and are actively recruiting the most talented players in the country. The players and the fans ARE among the best in the college football, and they deserve the best coaching available - PERIOD!

"not a collegiate powerhouse in football and really never"

Dec 23, 2007, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Fulmer makes Spence an offer he can't refuse. ]

have been"

????

what?

you need to go check the CFB data warehouse.

there were times in the 80s where we won more games than about 97%+ of the country.

i dont know what YOU call "powerhouse" but that is what i call a "powerhouse" in football.

revisionists make me sick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just woke up to what you are, fsutiger

Dec 23, 2007, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Fulmer makes Spence an offer he can't refuse. ]

COOT!
Just kidding...
Not really...
To #### with everyone who thinks we are so mediocre and have always been mediocre.
I remember what this program was and what it can be again as long as we don't accept anything but excellence. Sorry fsutiger but coach bubble screen isn't excellence.

Who said anything about having a problem with short passes?

Dec 24, 2007, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Fulmer makes Spence an offer he can't refuse. ]

My problem with Spence isn't that he calls too many short passes or that the QB checks down to the short pass if the long receivers are covered. Some of my problems with Spence are:
1) His play calling gets too conservative when Clemson has a lead-- even a small lead against a tough opponent. For example, that's what cost us the UMD and SoCar games last season (and a trip to Jacksonville).

2) He doesn't take advantage of the defense's weaknesses. For example, BC had the #2 ranked rush defense and the #110 ranked pass defense. Clemson's QB had the highest pass efficiency rating in the league, and one of the highest in the country. So you would expect Clemson to pass early and often, using the pass to set up the run... unless Rob Spence is your OC.

Prior to Clemson's last desperation drive of 10 straight passes, Spence called 51% running plays, including 61% runs on 1st down-- even though Clemson averaged just 1.5 yards per carry, and 5.65 yards per pass attempt (6.7 yards per catch) with 67% completion ratio. Even the ESPN announcers kept saying that Clemson was getting nothing on the ground and that Spence should be having Harper pick apart BC's weak pass defense. Even Bowden said in the halftime interview that Clemson needed to pass more (but Spence didn't).

Even on that last desperation drive when BC knew for certain that Clemson would pass on every down, Clemson was still able to move the ball down the field, exactly as you might expect when you pit the most efficient QB in the ACC against the 110th ranked pass defense in the nation

Since you know so much more about football than me, please explain why Spence didn't rely on the pass more earlier when BC would have had to have respected the run?

3) In tight game situations, Spence (and Bowden) seem to panic and make bad decisions. For example, Spence (and Bowden) failed to call one of their TWO time outs with 11 seconds left on the second last play of the BC game. Then they hurry and make a bad call on a short drop (easily sackable) pass play where Harper gets sacked to put Clemson out of field goal range. They should have just run the ball to the left so that Buccholz could have had perfect positioning. But play calling aside, they should have at least called a freaking time out to think about it and to remind the O-line and the QB that a sack loses the game. Since you know more about football than me, perhaps you can explain why Spence (and Bowden) didn't call one of their TWO time outs with 11 seconds left.

4) Spence doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He'll call the same play over and over, even if it doesn't work over and over. For example, against BC he kept calling Spiller to run between the tackles, even though Spiller hasn't run well between the tackles all year. Why not call Davis's # between the tackles and Spiller's # out in space?

5) His play calling just doesn't make sense to me much of the time. For example, when Clemson had a 1st and goal from the 2, Spence is calling passing plays when he should be funning Davis. It's a pretty safe bet that Davis will make 2 yards on four tries.

Clemson was a football powerhouse in the 80's. At that same time, Virginia Tech had a terribly weak football program with almost no fan interest or tradition. Clemson used to cream them. For some reason VT was able to build themselves into a perennial powerhouse, while Clemson perennially ends up in the upper middle of the pack in the ACC. (I'm sure it has nothing to do with the superiority of their coaches, right?) Is there any reason why Clemson can't return to national prominence in football? If Jim Grobe was able to win an ACC title after 6 years at lowly little Wake Forest, is there any reason why Bowden can't win one after 9 years?

Since you're so much more knowledgeable about football than me, please enlighten me by addressing each of the above issues with intelligent counterpoints.

Re: Who said anything about having a problem with short passes?

Dec 25, 2007, 6:36 PM

I will hop in with a few responses, although I will start out by saying that your points all have merit.

1. Good point about UMD. I think we lost against USC because they outplayed us all over the field. The only reason that game was close was big plays (Huge runs by Spiller, Def TD, James Davis stripping that guy off the top of my head)

2. Good example with BC, although you could question their rankings on those stats. They played mostly bad competition and teams were almost always behind or forced to pass to keep up with Matt Ryan. I'm not sure, but I would guess that they did not face a top 25 rushing team (maybe GT?)
Also, give Harper credit for being efficient, but give Spence credit for putting him in good situations. Maybe not particularly in the BC game, but overall, a QB facing 3rd and short will be more efficient than one who constantly faces 3rd and long.
Lastly, your stats back up your point, please don't use ESPN announcers as evidence for anything - those guys are clowns.

3. We all knew that you can't take a sack there, the O-line knew it, Harper knew it, and unfortunately, BC knew it. Everyone knew it. Telling them wouldn't have informed them. BC made the play, we didn't. No excuse for not calling the timeout, although that should be on Tommy I would think.

4. Spiller running between the tackles. While we all love to see C.J. in space, we probably have 20 different running plays in between the tackles. Even more when you throw in shotgun, so just because the play goes between the tackles doesn't mean it's the same play. Again, I give your point merit about Spiller going there though. You have to make a case for running the football though, especially when you have players who can take it to the house on any given carry.

5. Not much too refute there, I think that discussion has been played out though. Watch how many NFL teams pass inside the 5? A good bit, because it works. That's such a hindsight discussion and obviously, if given the opportunity to see how it played out, Spence would run it. If a major posession this year had ended on downs despite running it 4 times up the middle, it would be just as easy to criticize.

I enjoy your comments :)

Dec 22, 2007, 10:52 PM

Um your #'s are wrong about BB.

Who thinks that?

Dec 22, 2007, 11:08 PM

Dude... I am a proponent of Spence. Really, I am. But trust me, every major donor I know as well as every single one of my friends (and I'm not exaggerating) think he needs to go. They don't like him and when I press them on the matter, they can't "put a finger on it." But trust me, if those you're talking to are saying they hope he stays, then the balance must, at best, be even.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Dan, we're 10-1, not 9-1.***

Dec 23, 2007, 12:35 AM

I'm glad we have spence, I'm glad we have bowden.

Dec 23, 2007, 10:54 AM

And thanks for another good, easy read Dan. So much criticism and negativity on Tnet is getting overwhelming.

Dec 23, 2007, 9:55 PM

Wow! you religious geehawdists are no better than the moslem jehadists. Get a life and live one.

You on the other hand...

Dec 24, 2007, 9:29 AM

are an uneducated person living in the greatest nation ever (while taking no advantage of the opportunities given you) with a terribly uniformed worldview.

what is with all the criticism...

Dec 24, 2007, 11:01 PM

...and negativity lately? The past few days it seems that no person can say anything without someone else jumping on them and being harsh, rude, and/or ill-tempered.

Is this necessary? It's Christmas, for goodness sake. Cheer up, people!!

a simple proposition:

Dec 24, 2007, 11:04 PM

how about we Tiger fans quit with the insults and negative attitudes until New Year's and just enjoy the holidays?

It seems that no matter where you look on the Tnet, a Clemson fan is criticizing a fellow Clemson fan.

Enough, already!

Re: a simple proposition:

Dec 25, 2007, 6:21 PM

Totally agree with you, but as educated human beings, we should not put up with outrageous comments such as "you religious geehawdists are no better than the moslem jehadists"

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic