Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tommy Bowden's Tuesday Press Conference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Oct 16, 2007, 11:38 AM

The coach met with the media to preview Saturday's Homecoming game with Central Michigan. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let the disecting and insuting begin!!!***

Oct 16, 2007, 11:39 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team

Oct 16, 2007, 11:44 AM

every week. He also said, most coaches also do not know what to expect out of their team. Does anyone else think there may be a problem with this?

As a coach, I agree with him. I dont really KNOW what

Oct 16, 2007, 11:46 AM

my players are going to do on game night. I have an idea....but I've been surprised too many times to say I "know". Sometimes they seem so fired up and come out flat. Sometimes they seem so dead and come out on fire.

Couldnt he have said

Oct 16, 2007, 11:52 AM

"I expect us to play well. I expect that special teams will improve. I expect us not to turn over the ball, and get our running backs in the game early and often."

I think that's the point rather than saying...I dont know what to expect.

Sure. But do you want honesty or diplomacy?****

Oct 16, 2007, 11:57 AM

I want what I said to be honest.

Oct 16, 2007, 12:03 AM

I tell my son what I expect...he doesnt always deliver, but I always expect his best.

Same thing applies here. His expectations should be high...its up to them to deliver.

and perhaps he does that too...

Oct 16, 2007, 12:19 PM

let's not mistake what he says to the press for what he tells his team.

yes and....

Oct 16, 2007, 4:12 PM

anyone who thinks for one second that they have more desire to see Clemson win every game every year is a total moron. Our IPTAY donations and ticket purchases doesn't make us any more invested in Clemson than him. He has invested his life into this program. He shouldn't have to say what he expects. Use what few brain cells you have left and just give the man credit for trying his absolute best to win. I'm all for firing him at seasons end unless he turns it around but I dare not attack his integrity by saying he doesn't have as high of expectations as we do or even higher. remember, his paycheck and reputation depend on it, all we have riding on it are bragging rights...considering thats ALL WE'LL GET out of wins...he gets to keep his job...I'd say he has more riding on this season than ANY of us.

Photobucket

I think this dialogue can be chalked up to dissecting words

Oct 16, 2007, 3:24 PM [ in reply to I want what I said to be honest. ]

To set high expectations (in principle) for his players is one thing. To not know what to expect from them on game day (in reality)--despite these high expectations, is something altogether different. My sense is that CTB was referring to the latter in his comments.

But, of course, as a supporter of avoiding these debates, I am not sure why I even replied.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Couldnt he have said

Oct 17, 2007, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Couldnt he have said ]

THATS COMMON SENSE AND HE SAID THAT. YOU ARE ANSWERING A DIFFERENT QUESTION.

no I think that is pretty normal

Oct 16, 2007, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team ]

you would think coaches would but some weeks they get surprised (for better or for worse). its not an exact science

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, I guess. I just don't like to hear it from him.

Oct 16, 2007, 11:48 AM

I am ready to hear something postive that the Tigers are fired up and are gonna start kicking some butt. This is an emotional game and again there seems to be a lack of emotion on the coaching side.

I hear that complaint all of the time about t TB, and I just

Oct 16, 2007, 3:18 PM

don't agree. The Miami game at Clemson a couple of years ago, you could just see he was devastated. He knew that was a huge game for us to win, to get that team over the hump. The 13 - 9 win over the #####, he was a s jazzed about thta one as I have ever seen any coach.

I'll admit he looked lost in the VT game, but nothing was working, and when we had to punt, you had your heart in your throat. I think I know how he felt...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Stoops at Oklahoma basically said the same thing today. He

Oct 16, 2007, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team ]

wasn't sure how they would respond after the big win vs Mizzou and playing Iowa St this week. Hoping they did not have a let down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Iowa State is terrible.***

Oct 16, 2007, 3:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Parity.

Oct 16, 2007, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Stoops at Oklahoma basically said the same thing today. He ]

It wasn't in the presser - - so I thought I would throw it out there.

Several great coaches said same thing recently post upsets.****

Oct 17, 2007, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Stoops at Oklahoma basically said the same thing today. He ]

Re: Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team

Oct 17, 2007, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team ]

Oh yeah I see a problem!! First off, how can you be a coach at the same team for 9 years and not not what to expect??!! The same players return for 3 to 4 years. The schedule does not change by more than one or two teams each year. Nine years against the same coaches with the same unyielding, unproductive strategies. He states that he searches for motivation or "something for the leaders to hold onto". Yet, he fails to take responsibility for the fact that it is his job as coach to motivate the players. Losing takes it's toll, yes. But The players as well as the staff have a JOB TO DO. If they can not do that job, take them off the field or FIRE the coaching staff. I, for one, am sick and tired of the excuses year after year. How can he justify a comment that Central Michigan is the toughest task they have faced all year???!!! He is trying to make them look tough and mighty so that he looks good if he wins and not AS bad if he loses. Everyone wants to talk about how good he is as a person and a christian, but what kind of MAN or CHRISTIAN is too cowardly to take responsibility for his own actions or mistakes? Just once, I would just like to hear him say that HE made a mistake by failing to motivate the team, or that HE is responsible by not having them properly prepared!! It's always an excuse or someone else to blame.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2007, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team ]

NO.........THAT IS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES.....DO YOU THINK LSU OR CALIFORNIA COACHES EXPECTED WHAT HAPPENED LAST WEEK?
YOU WANNA 86' THEIR COACHES? IT ALL COMES DOWN TO....ARE THE PLAYERS GIVING 100%.

Oct 18, 2007, 2:56 PM

The coach has a quarter million dollar sallary or more to MOTIVATE the players into giving 100%. No one can predict a loss, especially one of LSU or CAL's caliber. But both of them played hard until the bitter end and no one can blame anyone for it. It just happened. Their opponents obviously worked very hard in preparation to win those games. But, I can guarantee you that the coaching staff for LSU will ###### a player out in a heartbeat if they don't give 100%. The talent level of Clemson is far supperior to South Carolina, but look at the difference in rank, record, and scoreboard. Blame the players for the lack of motivation, that's fine, but it is the coaches job to either get them motivated, or get them out of the game and find someone who IS motivated. We aren't talking about one loss here. We are talking nine years of sub-standard performance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2007, 3:25 PM

I totally agree with getting them motivated or getting them out! This is a simple coaching method that my high school coach even knew. The better athletes that Tommy always seems to play no matter what are NOT always the best players. You have to want to play, want to tackle, want to kill someone you hit them so hard, want to make the necessary block to help your teammate. If a player does not want that for 4 quarters out of every game no matter who the opponent is, Pull his butt OUT! I'm not saying that our players don't want to win, but occasionally it takes being pulled out of the game and grabbed by the facemask by the head coach, yelled at, told to sit and watch, and then come in later ready to kick some tail! I have NEVER seen a coach softer than our little tommy. Picking grass and watching struggling players without doing anything about it just ridiculous. Although I am a tiger fan, I will say that we need to look at how spurrier runs his team. He went through 2 or 3 Quarterbacks! in the georgia game until he found one that worked! I guess the point is players sometimes have bad games, and when that happens he needs to come out early(not when its already out of hand). "the little guy with the big heart for the game can cause big problems for the Goliath on a free ride" or give just the right motivation to play at a higher level. GET MAD TOMMY, SHOW SOME FIRE, DONT CRY TO THE PRESS, MOTIVATE YOUR PLAYERS, NICE GUY FINISHES LAST!!!

didnt say problems corrected...***

Oct 16, 2007, 3:36 PM

Re: didnt say problems corrected...***

Oct 17, 2007, 5:07 PM

YOU CAN'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION UNTIL YOU PLAY THE GAME.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic