Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Sep 30, 2007, 3:26 PM

The Clemson head coach spoke to reporters Sunday to wrap up the 13-3 loss Saturday at Georgia Tech. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference

Sep 30, 2007, 3:48 PM

TB says losing one of five isnt all that bad,thats not going to win any championships Tommy.It is bad ,if we didnt exicute then you need to do a better job,it gets so old being satisfied will an average team most fans agree,wheres the fire man why do we do this every year ,lay an egg indeed.9 years is enough,with the talent we got,we should be better than egg layers.What a shame to waste the talent of Willy Korn,a kid with the fire in his belly who hated to lose he has that thing that cant be coached,but one man can stop him and that seems to be TB and the staff.Why can we show up and then play so poorly?where does the responsability lie?Will being 8-4 be ok with most Tiger fans?We do this every year guess we should be use to it ,pass the eggs.

Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are supposed)

Sep 30, 2007, 4:21 PM

... to MAKE PLAYS!!! The bottom line is that the right plays were called for the right situations and the players did not execute . . . This is NOT the coaches fault . . . You put players in the position to win and then it is up to them to do what they are paid (scholarship) to do . . . This might be protect the QB, it might be catch the ball when it hits you on the hands, it might be kick the ball through the uprights or it might be to not take a sack by throwing the ball away . . . Until they make the coaches strap on shoulder pads, I will continue to blame the players for not making plays . . . especially when we know they have the ability to make that play! FINISH THE JOB!!!

Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are supposed)

Sep 30, 2007, 6:21 PM

Calling several screen passes on third and long doesnt merit good play calling. should have went for on fourth down in the fourth quarter when Bucholz missed his FOURTH FG. Wheres Willy Korn. QB's gettin sacked every other play. Willy can scramble with the best of them. Come on. That was better critical time than any. And I'm a #### TB fan. Pisses me off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Although I think Harper has been doing a fantastic job

Sep 30, 2007, 6:51 PM

I do think we should have seen Korn yesterday. He is like having another running back in there....I know I am going to hear all the crap about no experience ...but it couldn;t have been much worse....Once again no offense to Cullen....we needed a scrambler yesterday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Although I think Harper has been doing a fantastic job

Sep 30, 2007, 10:22 PM

Sorry to disagree mackdaddy, but we needed a line that wouldnt allow 6 sacks and a line coach that can coach us not to give up 6 sacks. Korn wouldnt have fared any better with the lousy blocking we saw. GT did the exact same thing last year and the year before, and we should have been better prepared. Brad Scott needs to go with TB when TB gets the boot at the end of the season.

Sep 30, 2007, 10:25 PM

Have you seen Willy play either live or on Game Plan? I don't thin he's been sacked yet and those were both games where OL was playing aweful. I can almost say I'm 100% sure Willy would have made a difference with his feet and his arm on the run.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2007, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Although I think Harper has been doing a fantastic job ]

Oh yeah, if TB gets the can then Brad will be out the door hanging on to a Bowden coat tail. Brad Scott is the worst coach on the staff. He has never been known for his excellent coaching ability, more like his knowledge of Bowden family secrets. BS will always have some job on the CU staff as long as TB has a job. Honestly other than last year, have we ever had a veteran line (in the BS as line coach years, heck really the TB years)? I mean I remember Charlie spending a lot of time on his back. Last year was great for the line basically because all the starters came back after they got some tough experience in 05'. Anyway back to BS-- even if he wasn't a line coach he would be "Assistant Head Coach, and Towel Cordinator". Let's face it, BS is a Gamecock throwback, and they went 1-20 and held on to Lou. that should probably tell you something about his inability to teach football princibles, and how not to cause penalties when it counts. Maryland---LY why was the TD called back, cause nobody but the REFs chose to count the personel. GT 05' what happened?, GT 07' Personal foul, and for goodness sakes will somebody please settle down Thomas Austin, he has caused a lot of penalties, but McDuffie should know better.

Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are supposed)

Oct 1, 2007, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are supposed) ]

we have the talent at CU to contend in the BCS.but its hard to get there with a independence bowl coach!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the coaches fault...just ask Tommy...said it himself

Sep 30, 2007, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are supposed) ]

Don;t call out the players call out the coaches

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: This is the coaches fault...just ask Tommy...said it himself

Oct 1, 2007, 10:48 AM

i do agree with the article.TB will not lay any of the blame on himself or his coaches.cu has the talent there to play in the BCS but we don't the talent in coaching to do so.im so tired of hearing all the excuses.when the only excuse is play calling!!!the other teams know what we r going to do before we do it because,all they have to do is look at the film of 8 years and its the same thing over, over, and over again.either give up the job TB or get creative.look at s.florida,rutkers,west vergina and the list goes on and on.if steve spurrier had the job at clemson this year with the talent and the Q.backs we have at clemson,he would go undefeated!!!!!!!

Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are suppos

Oct 1, 2007, 1:05 AM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - Players (are supposed) ]

Wow...you really didn't watch the same game I saw. I saw a Defense making plays all over the place.

The playcalling was awful. We called 40 pass plays. We called many play action passes, rollouts and otherwise slowly developing pass plays against a blitzing defense. We ran Davis only 12 times (5 ypc avg). We ran ONLY to the strong side, like we do all the time under Spence.

We did not throw the RB screens, swings, slants, outs, and quick passes that we needed too. We did not run the draws, counters and reverses that were there all day

Sure the O Line played poorly and our QB isn't the most talented in the world. But the onus is on the coaches to out-think the other side, and they simply can't do that. Time and again, we are out-coached and under-prepared.

Sep 30, 2007, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference ]

I have and will always be a Tiger fan, but I have not been a TB fan since Rich left. 8-5 stinks, 9-3 is better, but neither will win championships. What's the answer? No, I don't think TB should lose his job if we don't make the ACC Champs Game. I do think that if there is anyone out there who is close to the man, they might want to remind him that the reason Fla St. and POP were so amazing, and unbeatable- is simply because Bobby rarely called the safe play. Lets face it, the FG was the safe play everytime they lined it up. But common sense will tell you that he is gonna' miss it on #4, or in my opinion #3 Fg-- It was the same spot!!!!!! Anyway, ask Tommy why we won @ Fla st. last year. I would say it's because he decided (Heck or high water) "We will not kick again!). Maybe the Tigers are right around the corner from doing the best in regulation since 2000, or maybe we are destined to lose at least four a year because of the safe play. Never going for it on 4th down, always kicking it away. Runnind JD up the middle first two plays of every game, then again every 1st down every game. I can read this team like a picture book, don't think any deffensive cord. can't.

Sep 30, 2007, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference ]

Typical Bowden-isms. He justifies this absolutely horrendous showing on the field by saying "a lot of temas would like to be 4-1". Then he tries to justify it more by saying it's only one conference loss, but it's ok because it's not a division loss. No wonder our team can't get fired up; they dont have a coach who gets fired up about a loss. I for one am tired of ho-hum Bowden standards of excellence. I wanted him gone after last year's meltdown, and I still do. And he can take Brad Scott with him. That guy can't coach an offensive line, much less an entire team. With the talent we have been recruiting, we should be much better.

"keep in perspective it's just one loss.......

Sep 30, 2007, 3:54 PM

keep in perspective it's just one loss, a conference loss but not a division loss."

Um Tommy, they count the same.

Re: "keep in perspective it's just one loss.......

Sep 30, 2007, 4:10 PM

Um, not really. We still control our destiny.

what?

Sep 30, 2007, 4:18 PM

Say we lose to both VT & GT (non-divisional losses) and beat BC (divisional loss for them). We finish 6-2 in ACC play, and they finish 7-1 in ACC play.

Even though we would be 5-0 in our division, and BC would be 4-1 in our division, they still go to the ACC Champ game. So yes, they count the same.

Re: what?

Sep 30, 2007, 4:21 PM

Yeah, saying we lose to VT, that's correct. But if we don't lose to VT, then yesterday's loss doesn't matter all that much as long as we take care of business in the division.

If we win our games, we win the division. As opposed to winning our games and hoping for losses elsewhere.

Here is the difference

Sep 30, 2007, 4:50 PM

With a divisional loss comes a divisional win (a team in our division gets the win)

With a non divisional loss we don't help another team in our division as much.

While a loss is a loss, losing to Georgia Tech is better then losing to BC for example, because if we win the rest of our games, we are guaranteed to go to the championship game.

Small difference, but it is notable.

Exactly...good post.

Sep 30, 2007, 7:23 PM

Those retards above just don't understand.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2007, 1:11 AM [ in reply to Re: what? ]

Just a little truth here. Um...we play Wake and Maryland too. Teams that are just as good as Georgia Tech. Those teams have beaten us just as much as we've beaten them in the last 5 years. That is where we are as a football team right now, until we prove differently. Yesterday was good evidence to support that argument. Sorry to rain on your parade there.

Don't put the cart before the horse with BC. I don't think we want any part of BC right now.

Oct 1, 2007, 9:05 AM

Just pointing out that statistically, we're still fine.

Not counting our wins beforehand, but neither am I counting our losses beforehand.

Previous poster has us losing to VT already, which we haven't done yet.

Lots of football left. And fact is, a single non-divisional loss is not as bad as a single divisional loss.

"No. 1 concern coming out the game is special teams.

Sep 30, 2007, 3:57 PM

Then lack of productivity of the offense."

What year is it again?

Re: "No. 1 concern coming out the game is special teams.

Sep 30, 2007, 6:39 PM

These are the Bowden years, that means we will play inconsistantly and poorly for four quarters without change. The man said himself that everyone played poorly, well that is why you dress 70 guys. Cullen threw several very bad passes- then the ones that were catchable were thrown so hard they hit receivers hands and bounced out, or were just outright dropped. I was there in the yellow cround screaming like a crazy man for our boys, but no matter how much you scream or beg, the coaching staff still chose never, never, never to change anything. They chose not to pull their parade all american kicker off the bench after Mark put on is JAD DEAN suit, they chose not to replace a strungling QB with one that might cause a spark. Nothing has changed NOTHING! We will ride this pony off a cliff before we change directions. That is TOMMY's way. Frankly the man lied when he said if Cullen faultered he would play Willy, Well where was he. Great coaches are know because they win, but take a deap look and you will find that most of them have zero problems benching the guy(s) that strungle. I watched everyone play poorly, and am not blaming Cullen only, but if your vets can't catch, then give it to the guys who are absolutly dieing to get a chance. La'Donte Harris caught the most beautiful catch this year in the end zone against Furman, maybe this guy wants his chance to shine. That game, like every game was 60 min of playing time, but actualy took about 4 hrs to play. In 4 hrs. you can't figure out that your kicker is having a bad day, and that the 4th time from the 30 yd. line aint gonna make it either. People can blame the players if they want, but it really boils down to Tommy/ Rob or TOB as I like to call them, chose 4 times to kick instead of ever giving the team a chance to win. PS- The D-fence played very well. Aside from T.choice getting a few long runs, they played very well, and I would like to give them a big YO! That game was ugly but it could have been really bad.

FYI -- That parade all-american kicker

Sep 30, 2007, 7:26 PM

sucks. Go watch him in practice. The 60 yarder was a freakin fluke. Must have been a strong tail wind.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FYI -- That parade all-american kicker

Sep 30, 2007, 8:22 PM

Ok, the fact still remains. Why not try a fake or just walk out there in the shotgun, either way they lined Mark up 4 times for a 40+ yarder that he had missed 3 times before. Hello, we were losing in the forth quarter by 10, that's two scores, lets say Mark made the last one, how many more quarters do they need to kick 3 more to win it, obviously the O wasn't going to get in the red zone, or even sniff the goal line for a legal TD. I don't want to be a broken record but give someone else a chance. Then at the end of the game if you still lose it, you can say "we thought since our starters couldn't get it together we would atleast give the 2nd and 3rd string a chance to play against a tough D, and were hoping maybe they would make a play. I love our Tigers, I'm just confused by the tactics. When we lined up for that 4th kick the guy in front of me asked "is he was really that stupid?" I said no, BUT............

Re: "No. 1 concern coming out the game is special teams.

Sep 30, 2007, 6:51 PM [ in reply to "No. 1 concern coming out the game is special teams. ]

the O/L gets completely abused and humiliated by that crowd and he is only worried about the special teams????
same problem every year with special teams..punt blocks have killed us!! and still no progress there

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm shocked

Sep 30, 2007, 6:49 PM

that Bowden did not mention the losses of OU, Texas or WV. But there is always Tuesday.

Sep 30, 2007, 10:00 PM

Tommy Bowden was fast to put it on the players at fault
.To watch the last four games ,you can see our guys are good but they can only be as good as the play calling will allow,Again this year we see the same old plays over and over,sure their was some bad plays and useless mistakes made by our guys,GT was not a better team just better Coach,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bad play calling killed. Spence & Bowden are mediocre.

Sep 30, 2007, 10:16 PM

Of Clemson's first NINE drives, SEVEN started with a rush. I just kept screaming, "C'mon Spence don't rush on 1st down AGAIN! Everybody in the stadium knows you're going to rush on the first play of the drive!" Of course on the last three possessions when Clemson was desparate with little time left (and EVERYBODY knew Clemson would pass) Spence called passes.

Conservative, predictable play calling hurt the offense and contributed to the poor execution. It's harder to run the ball when everyone knows it's going to be a run. And it's harder to pass (and hold onto the ball) when everybody knows it's going to be a pass (and you know you're going to get popped).

Clemson would have won that game if we had a top tier coach, like Spurrier. No question in my mind. Spence and Bowden are mediocre.

It's not just a few disgruntled Clemson fans who think this way. I loved Stewart Mandell's (pregame "Weekend Pickoff" predicion) in Sports Illustrated. He wrote, "Oh, no. Don't do this to me. Clemson is the better team, no question. But it would be so characteristic of a Tommy Bowden-led team to lose this game."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/09/28/weekend.pickoff5/index.html

Having watched Bowden for the last EIGHT YEARS, what Clemson fan doesn't feel the exact same way?

I'll bet Gamecock fans don't feel the same way since Spurrier arrived. Probably the opposite.

Re: Bad play calling killed. Spence & Bowden are mediocre.

Oct 1, 2007, 12:15 AM

Arguments can be made for the loss being the coaches and players fault. It does seem to becoming more evident coaching has to have something to do with it. Time after time we lose games we should never lose and Spurrier seems to win games, with less talent, he should never win!! You can't tell me Spurrier wouldn't put in different players until he found someone that wanted to play some football. His players don't take a week off unless they want to lose their job.

Re: Bad play calling killed. Spence & Bowden are mediocre.

Oct 1, 2007, 12:22 AM

AMEN!!!!

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic