Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Sports Notes for 2006-07
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Jun 19, 2007, 11:43 AM

on had eight of its sports programs finish in the national top
25 of their respective sports.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont want to read that i dont think lol***

Jun 19, 2007, 12:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing success...

Jun 19, 2007, 12:28 PM

considering we didn't win one title

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a title in there...

Jun 19, 2007, 12:59 PM

Travis Padgett won the 60m indoor national championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a title in there...

Jun 19, 2007, 1:22 PM

True, but I meant team titles.

Though we certainly are seeing several programs get stronger... the titles SHOULD come.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football

Jun 19, 2007, 1:59 PM

The football team was the disappointment of the year. The team had too much talent to finish how they did. Poor coaching.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever. Football still mediocre.

Jun 19, 2007, 4:34 PM

Nice article. But honestly, if you gave me the choice of having the Clemson football team be ACC champs with every other Clemson team being in dead last place, or having this year's mixed results, I'd choose a championship football team... every year for the rest of my life.

Of course I'd like to see every Clemson team be tops. But whenever I hear the administration tout the overall strength of the athletic department or average GPAs, I always feel like they're trying to distract us from the mediocre football results. I'm sure that's narrow minded and wrong of me. But I can't help it. I grew up (arguably), and attended Clemson, when it was a football school. And I just want it to be so once again.

What the athletic department touts as football accomplishments, I view as disappointments. I'm frustrated to see the Clemson football team beat the ACC champions in 2005 and 2006, yet finish 5th and 6th in the ACC respectively (including tie-breaker criteria). I'm frustrated that Clemson was #7 in the nation for number of players drafted by the NFL (with 11 players going to the NFL in 2007), yet Clemson finished the season UNRANKED. I'm frustrated that 2 football players (Spiller & Ford) are All-American track sprinters, yet the football coaches can't seem to figure out how to use them to stretch the opposing defense. To me it all indicates that the athletic director needs to focus on fixing the football coaching.

I sincerely hope that they prove me wrong next season.

Beat Carolina, feel much better.

Jun 19, 2007, 7:47 PM

Beat those lousy, stinkin', lowlife Gamecocks and my feelings towards football do an about-face. I still can't believe we lost that game.

With Spurrier at SoCar, get used to losing in-state

Jun 19, 2007, 9:43 PM

As with the Maryland game, SoCar out-coached a conservative, play-to-not-lose Clemson staff. If Spurrier (with so litle talent on his team) could beat a talent-laden Clemson team last year, we'd better get used to losing to SoCar. Unlike Clemson, Spurrier pulled in a top-10 recruiting class last spring. And I expect that Spurrier will continue to raid Clemson's backyard, stealing talented high schoool kids who want to play for a proven top-tier coach rather than a proven middle-of-the-pack coach. NC used to be a pretty fertile recruiting ground for Clemson, since all of the NC universities stank at football. But with Wake winning the ACC, Butch Davis going to UNC, and Tom O'Brien going to NCSU, Clemson is going to find it harder and harder to attract talent from NC. (Butch Davis also pulled in a top-10 recruitng class.) I expect Clemson to get worse and SC to get better over the coming years. Too bad Clemson didn't hire Spurrier or Davis.

That's a nightmare that won't come true.

Jun 23, 2007, 1:40 AM

Spurrier got lucky last year. Our defense let us down, and we're fixing that now. You go ahead, I'm not bowing down to that punk. I don't care what he did at Florida, that's a brand name school that should be winning. How many titles has Urban Meyer won? As many as the Old Ball Sack, to be exact. And go ahead and mention that Spurrier won at Duke. Yee-haw, and then he up and left. Why? Because he'd never be able to repeat it. He got lucky then too. So let's see what Steve-O does with the Lamecocks, I'll be there pour the Gatorade on his smirky head when The Tigers crush Carolina in Williams-Brice.

Re: That's a nightmare that won't come true.

Jun 24, 2007, 11:48 AM

"Spurrier got lucky last year. Our defense let us down, and we're fixing that now. You go ahead, I'm not bowing down to that punk. I don't care what he did at Florida, that's a brand name school that should be winning. How many titles has Urban Meyer won? As many as the Old Ball Sack, to be exact. And go ahead and mention that Spurrier won at Duke. Yee-haw, and then he up and left. Why? Because he'd never be able to repeat it. He got lucky then too. So let's see what Steve-O does with the Lamecocks, I'll be there pour the Gatorade on his smirky head when The Tigers crush Carolina in Williams-Brice."

You're about the only person that I've ever heard of not giving credit to Spurier for winning at Duke. The comment about him leaving because he'd never be able to repeat is about the stupidest thing I've ever read on any board.

Re: Whatever. Football still mediocre.

Jun 20, 2007, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Whatever. Football still mediocre. ]

When it was a "football school"? You mean from about 1977 until 1990 or so? Certainly you don't mean prior to 1977 as the Tiger team was never very consistent before then. This is the thing I always find so amusing about some Clemson fans (I am a graduate as well, my freshman year was the National Title year), the notion that we were a football powerhouse. We were a powerhouse when the ACC was basically a weak league. During that time we dominated the ACC, there was no FSU, there was no BC, there was no Miami, and there was no VT. Yup....we really dominated WF (I was at the 82-24 game), and Duke, and at that point, Virginia. NC State wasn't much. NC and Maryland would occationally have a strong team, but they certainly weren't powerhouses. GT was also very inconsistent back then. So yes, we kicked butt in a weak conference, no arguement there!

Anyway....I'm proud of our program....all the programs.... GO TIGERS!!!!

Jun 20, 2007, 5:28 PM

Yep. I'm talking about THAT golden era when Clemson usually ended the season ranked and beat iconic football schools (e.g. Nebraska, Ohio St, Penn St., Oklahoma, WVU) in major bowl games despite hailing from the supposedly "weak" ACC. Back then, Clemson bolstered its "weak" ACC schedule with non-conference opponents like Notre Dame, Kentucky, & perennial powerhouse nemesis Georgia, as well as with schools that would later join the ACC, like FSU, BC, and VT.

In that era (and ever since then) on average the supposedly weak ACC won just over half of its bowl games (indicating parity with the other conferences) while, for example, the supposedly "strong" Big Ten only won about 1/3 of it's bowl games. So to my knowledge, the perception that the ACC was perennially weak, is contradicted by the data.

In 1981 when the national champ Tigers stomped Wake 82-24, Wake beat Auburn, Clemson beat UGA (who went undefeated in the SEC), and the ACC runner-up, UNC, beat Arkansas in the Gator Bowl. That year, Clemson's Orange bowl victim, Nebraska, similarly stomped its weakest Big-12 opponents like Colorado (59-0) and Kansas St. (49-3)-- neither of whom (unlike Wake) beat a team from a major outside conference.

Jun 20, 2007, 10:40 PM

You totally missed my point....I believe I did say those years were good....and nailed that was the time you were referring to. My point, it was a time period where everything was clicking, and yes, we had a weak conference (generally) meaning we weren't getting beat up in the conference and almost needed to have some strong out of conference games, mainly Georgia. And yes, you got me, WF did beat Auburn that year (Auburn finished 5-6), and WF's other 3 wins that year? Richmond, App State, and a strong Virginia team (VA finished 1-10 that year). So don't make it out to look like WF was a hidden power that year. Yes, we were awesome that year, and we beat some good teams in bowls during that stretch...but wait...didn't we also get put on probation a couple of times???? That may be a good trade-off to you, but I'll take a clean program any year over that.

So I'll say it again....yes, we had a great 13 year run as a really strong team, but the years before that, check out the records, we were very inconsistent and often just not very good. We certainly have been better over the last 6 years than those pre 1977 teams, and I see us getting better while playing some pretty tough teams. GO TIGERS!!!!

Jun 21, 2007, 2:20 PM

I thought you were making two points: (1) That Clemson was only good for a decade or so, and (2) that during that decade the ACC was weak. I agree with the first point and disagree with the second. I wasn't implying that Wake was a hidden powerhouse in 1981. I was showing that the ACC wasn't weak if Wake (1-5 ACC) beat Auburn (2-5 SEC), Clemson beat UGA, and UNC beat Arkansas.

I simply want Clemson football to get back to being top tier, and I've got 8 years of data showing that Bowden can't do it. I think Clemson could get there with a top tier coach like Spurrier. Like the vast majority of coaches, I think Spurrier has been running probation-free programs.

As Einstein said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." That's why colleges change coaches.

Jun 21, 2007, 8:13 PM

Well....as you could probably guess, I'm not a Bowden basher. I look at a few things....first, when Bowden got here, he had nothing. That's why we were running all those crazy plays that caught teams off guard...we had to run "trick" plays and the "no huddle" offense to make up for weaker players. But, I thought Bowden did well with what he had.

Second, I believe we are moving in the right direction. Sure, I'd love to have finished stronger last year and started better the other years, but you know what, sometimes things just happen and plans don't go as the coaches, or we, expect them to. Seasons are made or lost on injuries and that crazy ball bouncing certain ways. Florida is a classic example....if not for an amazingly timed jump by one player, USC likely beats FL and they aren't playing for the title. Just the breaks of the game. I think Florida stayed relatively healthy last year, and they got some breaks. In fact, a lousy break against Auburn almost cost them the opportunity. Do you blame Bowden for the freaky feet problems we had last year to some key players at the wrong time? I guess you could blame Bowden for that late penalty against MD that called back a TD...but...if you blame him for that, do you give him credit for having no other penalties the entire game? I was screaming at the TV for Proctor to not throw the ball after that because I knew he would likely throw an INT or do something stupid. I was disappointed, but also felt it was right to just get the FG. If I'm going to blame Bowden for anything, it was not having a QB with more game experience ready to go last year. Do you really think Bowden taught Proctor to run out of bounds on a 4th down play while still holding onto the ball near the goal line as he did against KY? Proctor should have known to have just thrown the darn thing into the end zone for a chance. The turnovers in the first half, which I believe we had relatively few during the regular season, is what got us in a hole. I guess you blame Bowden for the players suddenly not holding onto the ball?

My point, coaches can instruct players, but the players have to execute. When players execute, good things happen.....when they don't execute, the coach is blamed and the answer is to fire him. You know, I remember sitting in the stands when we had Coach Ford, and hearing fans say, "left, right, middle...that's all we do". Of course, we got 4 or 5 yards on most plays and eventually wore teams down. So even when we had a coach winning, to many fans, it still wasn't enough. Bowden has finally gotten some top talent in there, and seems like recruiting is going well. Let's see what he can do with this talent that he didn't have until the last few years, and then, if we are still middle of the pack, I'll join the group wanting to get him out.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Jun 23, 2007, 4:48 PM

No doubt that injuries hurt Clemson BADLY last season-- which is one reason that I'd like to see Bowden given one more chance. (Of course Wake managed to win the ACC with key injuries and less talent.)

As for players doing stupid things or teams catching bad breaks... It happens. But it doesn't seem to happen to great coaches nearly as often... perhaps because they're better teachers/drill-sergeants... or perhaps because nobody remembers the bad breaks when you win.

On the other hand, I thought the overly conservative play-to-not-lose offensive play calling (and inability to stretch the field) cost Clemson losses to MD, SC, and perhaps BC. I think Clemson was out-coached, not outplayed in those games. (VT outplayed Clemson.) Moreover I think it was a coaching failure (of inattention) to allow dysfunctional kick/punt coverage that regularly gave opponents good field position, and allowed several blocked FG/EP attempts-- both of which cost Clemson games most notably against BC. Those two types of coaching failures may have cost Clemson a shot at the ACC title. Fortunately Spence and Bowden say that they'll rectify those problems. I hope so. But it seems like a better head coach would have noticed and resolved those problems before they cost the team a shot at the title.

I'd much prefer to see TB (than any other coach) lead Clemson to the promised land. I think you give a head coach 4-5 years to rebuild, and a few years of "bad breaks". But we're coming up on NINE years.

Jun 23, 2007, 10:45 PM

Yes....Wake did manage to win the title with less talent and some key injuries...ummm...but wait, we beat this team that had less talent and key injuries, so not really a good thing to compare it to. And yes, we had our share of kicking woes, no arguement there....oh, but wait, our come back against Wake revolved around a miscue on their part in the kicking game. Now, was that simply the WF coach not preparing his team, or maybe just one of those crazy bounces of the ball I mentioned? And, of course, I don't need to mention that we did beat the other team involved in the ACC Championship game....a point that is very frustrating to me!!!! I don't think conservative play calling cost us the USC game, I'd blame a lack of defense and a critical missed FG that a good kicker should make (grrrrr, was hoping not to be forced to remember that kick). VT did just kick our butt...although....if Proctor doesn't fumble the ball near the end of the first half in scoring territory, could it have been a different game?

Listen....I'm sure you'll fire back with some holes in my points above, and then I'll fire back with holes in yours, but the bottom line, I think TBs recruiting has gotten better and I have to think we are going to start getting some breaks our way. I'd like to think that with the QB situation up in the air, but all the other great talent around, fans will give TB at least 2 years. After that....okay....maybe its time for a change. I saw an interesting post on here the other day where it showed TB as being around 30th (I think that was what it was) on the top paid coaches list. So, if we do lose TB, I wonder if Clemson is willing to shell out the additional money needed to attract one of your "great coaches". If not, maybe TB and his relatively clean (hey, they are college kids and do mess up like other college kids, though hopefully not as often as the Gamecock players) program and good graduation rates won't be that bad versus hiring another young "hot" coach that can take us to that promise land.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic