Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Task Force Issues Report on Admissions Procedures
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Apr 13, 2007, 1:43 PM

Clemson University released a report recommending changes in its procedures for admitting student-athletes. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, now it looks like the kids denied entry into Clemson

Apr 13, 2007, 1:49 PM

will be screwed even more than before.....let's take this year for example. What if 5 of the kids that weren't allowed to sign LOIs by the AARC were in fact allowed to sign and did in fact sign with Clemson, forgoing other offers at similar schools. Then, the AARC denies them into school in May, releasing them from their scholarships.

All in position to pass the NCAA Clearinghouse minimums, they scramble to get scholarships that just aren't available anymore.

Kid loses out enormously in a situation that could have been prevented.

Actually this gives us the opportunity to "place" these kids

Apr 13, 2007, 1:53 PM

in prep school instead of signing with another school and being placed.

agreed***

Apr 13, 2007, 1:54 PM

I bet the percentage of kids WANTING to do this are

Apr 13, 2007, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Actually this gives us the opportunity to "place" these kids ]

tiny......who wants to go to prep school (and pay out of pocket) to try and get into a school when they could go to equally good schools and programs?

I guess your statement backs up the claim that athletics aren't about the kids, but it is about the coaches and money.....

This finding just puts us back to where we were before IMO.

Apr 13, 2007, 2:05 PM

This allows CU to appear to be better, but back on the same playing field.

What did you expect? A release of "We are now lowering our standards and pushing sports over school."

Sometimes I wonder where you get this stuff from.

Apr 13, 2007, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Well, now it looks like the kids denied entry into Clemson ]

Are you really trying to argue that you prefer Clemson not be allowed to sign those 5 players because there's "a chance" they may be rejected?

And your arguement about them losing out big time if they're not admitted to Clemson is flawed also. As soon as one of those highly recruited, fully qualified athletes is denied by Clemson another school will jump at the oportunity to take them. Scholarships will be found.

From out his heiney, if you ask me . . . .***

Apr 13, 2007, 3:50 PM

You miss the point

Apr 13, 2007, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Well, now it looks like the kids denied entry into Clemson ]

The kid CHOOSES where to sign. He CHOOSES whether to do enough to get in or not.

As long as the system is stable, with known requirements why would you want to remove the kid's choice as to whether to sign (and try to get in/do the work to get in) or not?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, you think that coaches are going to fully warn

Apr 13, 2007, 2:40 PM

kids that are "borderline" to getting in Clemson whether they are NCAA eligible or not and let them see clearly how they can still be denied entry? I don't necessarily see that happening all the time, especially since the coaches won't really know which kids will truly have problems getting in or not.

I give more credit to the kids than that

Apr 13, 2007, 2:43 PM

They can see the school. They can see the numbers. They can make the choice themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being such a subjective analysis for borderline academic

Apr 13, 2007, 3:41 PM

kids, mixed in with character issues, I don't expect the 17-yr old recruits to be able to determine whether they have a reasonable chance to get into school or not. Except for the kids growing up to be CLemson fans or the kids without other offers, coaches in all sports have to sell the program and school and compete with others for their services as much as possible, clouding the recruits view.

I don't even think the coaches can be biased observers seeing as how they differ with the view of the AARC, as we have seen. Therefore, I don't see how the recruits are given honest pictures.

Signing the LOI has.....

Apr 13, 2007, 5:51 PM

..never meant you get into school. Passing the clearinghouse does NOT relieve the school of responsibility for making the admit/reject decision on admissions.

You've got to be looking hard trying to find fault with this outcome. Anyone who thought CU was going to say "we promise to admit anyone who passes the clearinghouse" had unreal expectations.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Task Force Issues Report on Admissions Procedures

Apr 13, 2007, 8:47 PM

What the **** good is a non voting member when there is still that stupid ***** on there with her vote?

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic