Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Oct 27, 2006, 2:55 PM

Clemson head football coach Tommy Bowden was available to the media by teleconference on Friday to discuss the loss to Virginia Tech. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference

Oct 27, 2006, 2:58 PM

humor me tommy....

Oct 27, 2006, 4:00 PM

and they come out of the woodwork....on schedule. You been waiting almost a year to post that one huh?

Oct 30, 2006, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference ]

No plan to give Cullen Harper more playing time?
Surely you jest TB.
What about Harper's 70% completion rate and the spring game Harper had. That kid looks pretty darn good throwing those deep out routes that WP misfires on or just can't throw or both as evidenced by VT game. Everyone talks about not wanting to hurt Will's confidence, well cry me a bucket of tears, so TB says there is a good distance between #1 and #2? If things continue south with the down field passing game how much confidence does that bone head statement give #10 if and when his # is called? I have read many posts about how the play action pass would have opened things up yet we ran the ball on a dozen straight first downs. #10 is as good at play action as anyone we've got. Harper looks about 6'4" and 230 or better about now standing on the sidelines with a rocket for an arm. With a senior QB struggling with the passing game it makes no sense to go public with this "long distance between #1 and #2" media response with a talent that is ready to play sooner than later. Put #10 on the field and we'll see how he does before this "long distance" nonsense is set in stone.

Bottle to head came from a CU fan. Saw him do it***

Oct 27, 2006, 3:18 PM

Smell that? I smell coot - smells just like crap!***

Oct 27, 2006, 3:22 PM

That is odd...on tv clemson fans were not behind our bench***

Oct 27, 2006, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Bottle to head came from a CU fan. Saw him do it*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he's not a coot, he's a turkey

Oct 27, 2006, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Bottle to head came from a CU fan. Saw him do it*** ]

I promise you a Clemson fan didn't do it. The person was arrested and I am sure if it had been a clemson fan, that would have been noted.

silly lil thug turkey...keep trying. Looks like the turkeys are trying to be like the scumpack.

Lemme guess...he had on an orange shirt?

Oct 27, 2006, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Bottle to head came from a CU fan. Saw him do it*** ]

Give me a break. What Clemson fan would drive that far to support the team and throw a bottle at OUR team in the first quarter?

Where were you sitting?***

Oct 29, 2006, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Bottle to head came from a CU fan. Saw him do it*** ]

Oct 27, 2006, 3:32 PM

- Bowden said from tackle to tackle the offensive line played well but they were hurt somewhat by the absence of tight end Thomas Hunter on edge blocking.

I'm calling BS on this. One person does not make your O-Line, especially the way ours has been playing. I think it probably contributed to the problem, as did R. Fry's absence, but it wasn't the lone reason for the line play.

By the way, I was there, and our O-Line did NOT play well on running plays. They were getting blown up each time (thus the low rushing numbers).

I LOVE our coaches, but I swear, they must think we are all idiots at times.

Oct 27, 2006, 3:43 PM

he always has an excuse...its never "we got beat"

I agree.***

Oct 27, 2006, 3:56 PM

Oct 27, 2006, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference ]

What a stupid thing to say. Its never "we just got beat" because there is always a reason. Its not Tommy's fault we lost. The blame belongs to Rob Spence, Vic Koenning, and mostly Will Proctor. I am beginning to see why he didnt start a game until this year. My heart is broken, again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2006, 2:26 PM

> What a stupid thing to say. Its never "we just got
> beat" because there is always a reason. Its not
> Tommy's fault we lost. The blame belongs to Rob
> Spence, Vic Koenning, and mostly Will Proctor. I am
> beginning to see why he didnt start a game until this
> year. My heart is broken, again.

Please do NOT include Koenning on the list.

Our defense performed well all things considered. They played on short rest after a very physical and dominating performance over GT, and adding to that is the fact that our offense couldn't even get a couple first downs (VT held the ball almost 11 minutes more than Clemson). Not to mention that due to the horrible offensive production and less than admirable punting, VT's offensive was consistently working with a short field (VT got the ball on their 40 or better 6 times). And for all the 'Ore rushes for 200 yards' hype, VT only averaged 3.9 YPC. Wich is terrible at the college level.

The one complaint you could possibly have is all of the arm tackling (and subsequent broken tackles). Arm tackling is usually the result of a worn down defense that is over-taxed and tired.

I agree, the defense played as well as could be expected

Oct 28, 2006, 3:05 PM

with 10, 3 and outs!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go hit a high C or something.....:op***

Oct 27, 2006, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference ]

Always do whatever's next. -cuda

Dude seriously?

Oct 27, 2006, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference ]

I dont know what team you've been watching, but Thomas Hunter is a sick run blocker. He's got pretty soft hands too. there was a definite drop-off at TE.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever blocked for an offense? = Strong as it's WEAKEST link!

Oct 29, 2006, 2:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden Friday Teleconference ]

I know it is a bromide, but it is the truth. When attacking a fort, does an army attack it at it's strongest point? No, they search out the weakest point. Same goes for an OL.

When a defense finds a "sweet spot" in an offensive they quickly signal it to their coaches. What follows is a series of blitzes at that point. A VETERAN might make some adjustments. But getting beat every down gets 'inside the head' of a rookie. And then it can only get worse.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2006, 6:00 PM

How about asking Rob Spence why he never called a long pass play to open the defence up , or try an option , or SOMETHING DIFFERENT . Even we knew what play was coming!!!

Agree... bad decision to run w/ 9 defenders waiting for it

Oct 28, 2006, 7:29 AM

3rd quarter
down by 10
deep in your own territory
3rd down
2 yards
no success running the ball all game
9, count 'em NINE guys, crowding the line waiting for your RB

...and Stuckey with single coverage to the right

Did I just hear...

Oct 27, 2006, 8:14 PM

a toilet flush on the interview with Tommy Bowden?

Oct 27, 2006, 8:35 PM

Just once, I'd like to hear a head coach say, "my coaches messed up and it won't happen again. If it does, I'm taking them out back and kicking their butts!"

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Oct 27, 2006, 11:25 PM

There is a fine line between patience and stubbornness. Rob crossed it big time. I am beginning to think his playbook is way smaller than I thought.

Oct 28, 2006, 2:40 PM

It has never been big. From what I have seen, most of his 'different plays' are nothing more than minor variations. I will not hesitate to say that I have been vastly unimpressed with Spence both last year and for the entire season this year.

What concerns me is that he rarely calls the correct plays in the right situations (he actually called an up the middle RB screen from inside our own 5 twice last year). Not to mention that he has yet to show that he is capable of making any in-game adjustments. And his pass play designs usually leave much to be desired.

So far, I have yet to witness Spence win a game with good play calling, but I have seen him lose at least 3 with absolutely atrocious play calling. Even when our offense has played extremely well, all of the credit should go to our athletes (read: O-Line) with utterly dominating performances.

This is from a very good website I found

Oct 27, 2006, 11:30 PM

I found this website thanks to gameday posters. I felt better about the loss after reading this. I hope it brings you the same. Its from www.dannyfordisgod.com

We were outplayed in every facet of the game. We were outcoached. I think they painted their field crisper than we do ours and their turf is probably fantastic and soft. Their stadium foods and beverages probably rival that of the cuisine from the finest French chefs. I do not believe they donned their pants one leg at a time, as did Clemson, either.

We learned several things tonight and several things we’ve been pretty sure were truths were hammered into our heads. The neckbubble is especially powerful on Thursday nights. Rob Spence is a feast or famine play caller. Tommy Bowden will never pull a quarterback, no matter how poorly he is playing. Teams that buy into their own publicity often tumble as magnificently as they ascended.

For the record let me state that while the officiating wasn’t awful, it was incredibly one-sided and the overturned fumble by VT in the 3rd quarter was phantom #########. It was anything but irrefutable. I’m refuting right now. See, refute, refute. Not that it does any good to whine or wonder what would’ve happened if we had the ball in their territory.

More on Spence. He has mastered exactly five plays. Bubble screen, run it up the gut, bubble screen, a pass play thrown to exactly 3 yards behind the first down marker, slant. When these plays work well, as they have all season, Clemson looks like a worldbeater. When they fail, he becomes the most stubborn force on the planet and gravity is more likely to reverse itself than he is to make adjustments. If running it up the middle didn’t work the first 20 minutes of the game, why would it succeed the following 40? The VT defensive coordinator looked like a genius tonight, but in all honesty you could’ve replaced him with a bowl of gravy and seen the same result. No adjustments are needed against a dense OC who refuses to adjust himself.

While VT proved me wrong by shutting down our running game, I was right on the money by stating how frightening the prospect of Proctor passing proved to be. Proctor sucked, plain and simple. This is suckage and subsequent refusal by a coach to bench said sucking player not seen since Charlie Whitehurst’s disappointing junior campaign. In Proctor’s defense, there were multiple pass drops by our receivers. I had complained during our cupcake stretch prior to GT that we needed to pass more to oil up that cog in our machine, but Spence’s playbook is about as diverse and flexible as that of Jeff Bowden. Proctor’s passes were often just amazingly off the mark. Was this the same quarterback who looked so good versus Florida State? Did Brandon Streeter sneak in the locker room and suit up?

I don’t know what to take away from this game. I think we won’t know until the next three games, none of which will be easy. Perhaps tonight we saw that, while I think we are a great team, we are not yet a great program. We’re on the way there, building facilities, gaining recruits, refining our coaching, but the performance tonight, or lack thereof, should be a warning sign that all the pieces aren’t yet in place. Much like in 2000, just when Clemson was receiving the most positive national press and respect, we absolutely bomb. The difference is the victory over Georgia Tech, which now seems so long ago. A four day turnaround from a game that big obviously took its toll on Clemson. Let’s hope we can get back on track and f*ck up some teams in red.

Re: This is from a very good website I found

Oct 29, 2006, 8:07 PM

I agree, we were outcoached. Bowden should have jumped Spence at the half,and done something to give our guys a chance.Proctor was off, way off,should have been pulled in the 3rd.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic