Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
espn bubble watch is back and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 4,685

espn bubble watch is back and

Feb 6, 2018, 10:49 AM

and they have Duke and UVA as locks and Clemson as a should be in (meaning they have work left to do). When they have teams as locks that means that nothing they could do would take them out of getting a bid. So as of right now we have a better conference record and better rpi than Duke but we are not a lock. If Duke and Clemson were to loose the rest of there games, Duke would still get in and we wouldn't according to them. Duke just lost to a team that was winnless in there conference. I give up on any of there reasoning, lets hope we beat Duke.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22256337/bubble-watch-returns-competition-places-acc-sec

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke would have to totally implode to miss "The Dance"

Feb 6, 2018, 10:53 AM

And that's not likely to happen.

The have the benefit of the doubt and we haven't earned that yet.

Both teams are going to be in and the seeding may very well come down to what happens when Duke rolls into Littlejohn.

I honestly think we beat Duke in our place this year this year and we get a higher seed in the ACC and the NCAA.

But, it will be because we've continued to prove prognosticators wrong and that we've earned our spot by overcoming a lot of bad history.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Duke would have to totally implode to miss "The Dance"

Feb 6, 2018, 11:46 AM

There's no way we make it.

Who is "we" first time poster ...***

Feb 6, 2018, 2:50 PM

Re: espn bubble watch is back and

Feb 6, 2018, 11:01 AM

Lost me at the word loose

Feb 6, 2018, 11:08 AM

sorry lose, get out of here grammar police.

.....and there.***

Feb 6, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: espn bubble watch is back and ]

TL4Heisman

Feb 6, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: espn bubble watch is back and ]

One has to watch out for those "loose" teams. Loose girls can be trouble but don't get us started on loose teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would it be that bad if we loose the rest of our games?

Feb 6, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: espn bubble watch is back and ]

Sure would be a lot better than losing them

Feb 6, 2018, 11:07 AM

We are in this year. Plain and simple.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If a team like Kentucky...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:12 AM

had Clemson record, RPI and strength of schedule, they'd be ranked in the top 5 nationally and an absolute lock for the NCAA Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If a team like Kentucky...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:15 AM

For sure. Hopefully we prove everybody wrong about us and make a run this year.

Re: If a team like Kentucky...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to If a team like Kentucky... ]

absolutely

Kentucky would still have to win more than 19 games

Feb 6, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to If a team like Kentucky... ]

Even Kentucky or Duke could not reach 19 at this point and then proceed to blow all the remaining games and still get invited.

The difference between Clemson and Duke or Kentucky, etc. is that people assume the blue bloods will win all or most of their remaining games, while they're not totally convinced that Clemson won't somehow manage to lose all of theirs.

That's just the way it is ... only Clemson can change the perception of Clemson. And it won't happen in one season.

Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round

Feb 6, 2018, 11:17 AM

of the NCAA Tourney just like we always do. This isn't the first time we have had a team do this. Remember we lost in the ACC Championship game, had a great season, and played like crap in the 1st round. I love all things Clemson but if you really think we will make a run please by all means tell me why?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

So you think...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:35 AM

the result on the court from more than seven years ago has some, heck any, bearing on this years team?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So you think...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:42 AM

I will admit this season does seem different. But I'm having a hard time believe we can actually make a run at this. When the pressure is on we fail. UNC and Virginia away.... Look at the teams who UNC has lost to at home, including Wofford. WOFFORD!!! who lost to Mercer last Saturday. I get UVA but at that level? Show me something different!

sig-1

Clemson best performances in the NCAA Tournament...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:51 AM

have come when the teams were seeded between 4th and 6th.

It is those 7/10 and 8/9 match-ups that have been killers.

The NCAAT is unpredictable. All of the teams playing have earned the right to be there, they're all pretty good teams, and anything can and often does happen.

Re: So you think...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: So you think... ]

Don't see it this way at all. Last year was a year we failed to finish games off and our loss margin was small. We were in position and could not get it done. This year we are finishing games off that we should win and are improving each game. We have some work to do of course but right now we are a solid top 15 team. Not many people thought this would be the case at all.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry, but you are off on this one...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

the teams that had good seasons and lost in the 1st round were coached by Oliver Purnell. Purnell had a gimmicky defense that was built for runs during the season but by the end of the season, against good opponents, didnt seem to work. We played an uptempo style of offense and a press (usually only playing 7-8 guys) on defense. This was not a recipe for success when march rolled around when we didnt have enough bodies to sustain it.

This team is just DIFFERENT. First of all, Brownells style completely contrasts Purnell. We have more 'basketball players' vs the Purnell teams that had 'athletes' who could play basketball. Also, this team is very guard oriented. Our team thrives on Reed, Devoe, and Mitchell making shots and getting to the rack either scoring or making free throws.

Also, this team closes out games and has a killer mentality. They win close games. They have fought through adversity. When Grantham was lost for the season, Zion shocked clemson nation, and we lost by 30+ on the road at virginia... all within 48 hours, we could have crumbled. Since then, we are 3-0 with 2 road wins and a home win against UNC.

Sorry, but IF this team loses in the first round, its NOT because this is typical Clemson

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree on the guard play

Feb 6, 2018, 12:14 PM

and have always heard that guard plays matters more in the tournament. I admit I know less about basketball than football, but if that is true then our good guard play should help us this year. I saw quite a bit of poor passing earlier in the season but even that seemed better the last few games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round

Feb 6, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

That was OP's coaching mantra. Brad is 1 - 1 in NCAA Tournament games as the coach of Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2018, 11:50 AM

GUESSING YOU DIDNT THINK WE WOULD WIN 20 THIS YEAR EITHER HUH. SMFH.

Feb 6, 2018, 1:48 PM

I was hopeful that Grantham's off season success translated to this year's regular season. However, I can't say I saw a guaranteed 20 wins (right at 20 seemed about right) and darn sure did not foresee the drastic turnaround we have witnessed. I did feel we would improve some on our close game woes, with Djitte not around fumbling away key possession after key possession each and every game. Loved his energy but man was he a major liability on offense.

Feb 6, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

Technically, Brownell still lost in the first round. His win was in the play-in game. I'm happy with this year, but I see no need to knock Purnell. At least he got us to the dance his last three years here, and it was primarily his players that got Brownell there his first year. Overall, I think that Purnell did a reasonably good job.

This team is bonded and unselfish with great leadership plus

Feb 6, 2018, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE harder than ever before.I have been watching Tiger bb for many years, and this is best teamwork I have seen. I think Brownell learned from Dabo, and then helped them learn to be like family, and it really worked esp. on that trip to Spain

We'll I hope I'm wrong. Thanks for the input.***

Feb 6, 2018, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

sig-1

A team from 10 years ago doesn’t have any bearing on this year’s team.

Feb 6, 2018, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

If you believe it does, then I recommend some psychiatric help.

Plus, that team was coached by Purnell, who never won an NCAA Tournament game and who was a pretty bad offensive coach. This year, we have a coach who has won an NCAA Tournament game and who has shown the ability to recruit and coach a very good offensive team.

Apples and oranges.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

better guard play and FT shooting

Feb 6, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

I understand why the natural inclination is to feel this way, but this team seems much different than our previous success stories being built on either dominant big men or press defenses

Feb 6, 2018, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Call it what you will, but we will lose in the 1st round ]

We would have a better shot at a run this year simply due to our guard play, it's been the best I've seen since Stitt was here.

No SCar?***

Feb 6, 2018, 11:18 AM

The DirtPeckers will be lucky to make the NIT...

Feb 6, 2018, 11:25 AM

Maybe the CBI or the newer CIT.

Feb 6, 2018, 11:29 AM

Even as a Clemson fan, i think Duke should be a lock right now. I don’t know why so many fans think that RPI realistically matters in terms of seeding or getting in or not. The committee has said in the past that RPI isn’t everything. Yes, they use some metrics that the RPI uses, but at the end of the day they’re going to pick the most worthy teams, not the teams that some computer picks. Duke has had a really tough schedule this year and even though they lost to a poor team against St. John’s, we lost to Temple, who is 13-10. We have work to do, but most likely if we get a win over Pitt we’re in.

Feb 6, 2018, 12:52 PM

I get what you're saying, and I'm not trying to pick a fight, but according to CBSSports our strength of schedule is higher than Duke's (12 vs. 23).

I'm as impressed as I can be with this team.

Feb 6, 2018, 1:03 PM

I’m not trying to say Strength of Schedule, more like strength of record/resúme. Their most quality win is Michigan State, who is currently 4th in the nation. We don’t really have an outstanding win like that. We have a nice road win against Ohio State, but they’ve gotten a lot better since then, so it’s not really like we beat the #14 team in the nation on the road. It’s more like we beat a pretty good team on the road who is now great.

Feb 6, 2018, 4:22 PM

So because Ohio State wasn't playing as well we don't get credit for them now being better? But if we had lost it would be a "good loss" now because they're ranked highly?

That logic works if you've got a great player coming back from injury, etc., however, we beat them on their home court and now the win looks great as a resume building block.

It is Mathematically, logically, and physically impossible

Feb 6, 2018, 11:38 AM

For both teams to lose out.

Feb 6, 2018, 12:23 PM

Duke and Clemson both can’t lose all of their games. They play each other. Just sayin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they are just being cautious

Feb 6, 2018, 1:07 PM

Texas Tech, Cincy, Arizona, Ohio State also aren't locks in this list

Feb 6, 2018, 1:46 PM

"Should be in" does not mean we have work left to do. In fact, there's a category specifically for "work to do". Teams in the "work to do" category have, well, work left to do. Consider "should be in" to mean things would have to go very very wrong for the team to be left out. Like yes, losing the rest of our games.

I get your disagreement with Duke and Clemson being in separate categories. Realistically though, Duke is way ahead of us in the BPI, has basketball brand name recognition, and has 2 top-10 wins. It shouldn't be a surprise that they are a lock.

Replies: 39
| visibility 4,685
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic