Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Road Warriors Deserve Priority Points
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Jan 10, 2006, 12:34 AM

Trying to piece together a perfect system of awarding points on IPTAY priority is about as complex as getting all movie critics to agree on what the best movie of the year is. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WRONG!!!! Points have nothing to do with Home Game Seating.

Jan 10, 2006, 1:11 AM

Did Scott not see the article TDP had in the O&W that shows that over 75% of IPTAY members give $140 or less to IPTAY, and does he not know that those are the ones that have the best seating for home games. Not saying this system is right or wrong(I personally don't like it, because I contribute way to much to get the crappy seats I get), but that is how it is. Points have nothing to do with home seating. Scott is just plain wrong on this, and any IPTAY Rep. will tell you the same thing.

Re: WRONG!!!! Points have nothing to do with Home Game Seating.

Jan 10, 2006, 4:26 PM

Obviously not contributing enough--stop bitching

I agree totally with the article.

Jan 10, 2006, 6:49 AM

I think that points should be awarded for away game travels and season ticket purchasing for all sports. However for the points to really mean anything will require a reseating of DV and if and when that happpens there are going to be lots of long time members drop out. Hopefully it will also result in lots of new members.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I've thought that this should be considered also.***

Jan 10, 2006, 7:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

I completely agree...

Jan 10, 2006, 7:30 AM

I've been to 49 in a row in football, home or away, buy season tickets to basketball and baseball, and usually make a couple of road trips in those two sports as well...Also, been to the ACC tourney in baseball 2 straight years, been to Omaha, And been to an ACC tourney in basketball in the last 3 years.

Re: Road Warriors Deserve Priority Points

Jan 10, 2006, 7:39 AM

no it never does. They could give a point for every away game a season ticket holder purchased....but realistic that would not really work. People that can't afford the time or money to go to the away games, but make it to every home game..is just as important as those who go to the away games.

It would be discouraging to young families...it is expensive.

You could not pay me enough money to have to make the decisions that TDP and Billy Dee have to make with the tickets, seating and points.

Next year with people moving to the West End zone, there will be some changing of seats. Yes, I do believe that along with number of years given and amount plays a role is where one's seats should be. To the IPTAY person that has been a member since the 60's and 70's but only gave the min each year and purchased the min no of tickets should not have better seats than the person who has given the same number of years but increased their giving over the years. That is one of the main reasons there will be a change in the seating. Number of years will play a major role.

I am just happy to be able to attend what games I can and love my Tigers - for the most part I don't miss many and I can't stand it when I am not at the games. I only missed the Maryland game last year due to business conflict. But giving points to go to away games....no way.

True, as well as season ticket purchases

Jan 10, 2006, 8:25 AM

And Larry Shyatt era tickets should count double. Those were some painful games to watch, God bless 'em.

Many colleges do include purchase of relatively expensive (football, basketball, baseball) season tickets in the points system. I think that's fair for inclusion next time they tinker with the points system. Not sure if that would move me up or down overall, but I think that someone who's loyally paying for 4 or 8 football tickets a year and basketball tickets, etc., should be rewarded for that. That's thousands per year.

And why not charge more for "better" seats, like pro sports do? It'd free up some of the minimum donors in "better" seats that some complain of. Seems like that's not an issue in basketball now, just football.

Back to work.

great article, I hope we do it. I go to alot of away games***

Jan 10, 2006, 8:31 AM

What about fans who also purchase season tix for other sport

Jan 10, 2006, 8:44 AM

Say they buy season tix for basketball and baseball as well as football. Should these fans get more priority points b/c they support more than just the football team?

"Where the Blue Ridge Yawns its Greatness...Where the Tigers Play...Here the Sons of Dear Old Clemson Reign Supreme Always"

Yep.

Jan 10, 2006, 8:50 AM

Season tickets in other sports should be factored in, since IPTAY is an umbrella group for all of Clemson's sports.

Now, there are some folks who think Clemson begins and ends with football, and that's fine. But fans who follow other sports should be amply rewarded for their outlook.

It might lead to more corporate support of those sports, too.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely. I think this should factor into priority points

Jan 10, 2006, 8:58 AM [ in reply to What about fans who also purchase season tix for other sport ]

before away game tickets for football.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Umm, he mentioned that...4th paragraph from the bottom***

Jan 10, 2006, 1:21 PM [ in reply to What about fans who also purchase season tix for other sport ]

Priority Points are to reward financial support to the

Jan 10, 2006, 8:54 AM

athletic department. The intent of the program is to encourage more financial support. Putting non-financial support related criteria in the system dilutes the incentive nature of the program.

If priority points are designed to reward the super fan, the we start over with the argument about whether alumni or better fans than non-alums, should you wear T-shirts to games, whose blood is the most orange, and a buch of other stupid things like that.

With priority points, keep it simple, make it about money and be done with it. You can not please everyone, so finding the perfect system is an academic exercise.

But if the goal is to increase financial support...

Jan 10, 2006, 9:03 AM

...wouldn't that mean priority points for support the so-called "minor sports" would fit right in that concept?

If a corporation can earn bonus points for donating to the baseball program, doesn't it serve the same greater good that donating to the football program does?

Heck, maybe someone whould totally underwrite the rowing team, tennis or swimming teams for enough points. They get the points, Clemson gets the money, without unnecessarily focusing soley on football.

Since IPTAY is supposed to be about all athletics at Clemson, it seems a logical way to work around it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Financial support for the athletic department would include

Jan 10, 2006, 9:14 AM

tickets for all sports. I did not say that it wouldn't. The article was about away games were the money goes to the opposing school. Arguably financial support would also include consession stand sales as well.

Yeah, but if $1000 totally underwrites the rowing team,

Jan 10, 2006, 10:03 PM [ in reply to But if the goal is to increase financial support... ]

it should still only count as much as the money is - - NOT "I support a whole team".

Which leads to one of the posts above - - make it about money - - how much is spent buying tickets to Clemson events at Clemson and IPTAY donations. Away games are irrelevant. Nice, exciting, cool we made NC State back away from the line AT Raleigh, but NOT a part of the equation.

Jan 10, 2006, 9:16 AM

Completely Agree. Those that pay $1000+ for four basketball season tix every year should be given credit. As it now stands the better other option would be to increase our IPTAY gift and buy $5 tix at the gate. If one had done this over the past 15 years, that would be an additional 60 points! I have heard many basketball season tix holders getting a little tired of paying full price for all of the games, while having other "big IPTAY" folks put their money in IPTAY, get rewarded with points and still go sit anywhere they want at any b-ball game. I hope that TDP reviews this so people won't start taking this option.

Keep in mind that...

Jan 10, 2006, 5:47 PM

the "big IPTAY members" that don't buy season tickets will not be able to get ACC tournament tickets. You must be a season ticket holder. One of these days before too long we will be a factor in the tournament. Big givers that don't buy season tickets will wish they had!

I think it stinks.

Jan 10, 2006, 6:45 PM

Although I agree people should be rewarded for their support, some of us can't do but so much. How about those that have more than one IPTAY membership per family? Both my kids are members (a Cub and a Collegiate) as well as the wife and I. How about those of us that can't afford to go to away games because we have a child who attends Clemson (and thank God I will only have one at a time there). Add up what I will give to Clemson (tuition, IPTAY, tickets, etc.)this year alone, and I am over $20k. That does not count travel expenses, tailgate supplies or anything like that. I am talking funds going directly to Clemson. Sorry, just not much left for the away game trips.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great points

Jan 10, 2006, 11:56 AM

Road warriors should get points.

Other sports ticket buyers should get points.

Also, those who recruit others to IPTAY should get points.

When I was transfered to Charleston 3 years ago, I met 3 tiger fans (2 grads) who were not members of IPTAY. I got them to join.

I should get a points perk for that. 1 donates more than I do.

But hey, anything that helps Clemson - I'm game.

why not give points for the number of

Jan 10, 2006, 1:27 PM

games watched on TV, number of Orange cars you own, number of Clemson Graduates in the family, Number of Clemson Shirts you own, Number of car flags per game, what time you show up for tailgating, how late you stay when Clemson is getting whipped, how many Gamecocks you have to deal with every day, how many UGA fans you have to deal with every day, number of away game stompings you've attended, number of times you've played Walker course, how many books you purchased when you were a student at Clemson, how many meals you ate (and survived) at Harcombe……………………………………………………

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: why not give points for the number of

Jan 10, 2006, 3:08 PM

Some folks may be more able to give and to buy the tickets and travel for away games. But I like TIGERCOOKS thinking--why not give points for the many early AMs that we woke up 1,2,3,then 4 tiger cubs and drove lickety split down the road for 5 hours for Sat. games. Then one by one, sent them to Clemson and paid through the nose for them to get a quality education. Now that they are all grads, do we get points for them doing the same for their families? I say-leave the point system alone--PLEASE! Those who can will give, and those who can't still won't buy the away tickets just to garner points.

I like your style of thinking!

Jan 10, 2006, 1:34 PM

Like myself, I know a lot of supporters that this value would be rewarding to their support of CU and IPTAY.

Jan 10, 2006, 4:41 PM

I disagree with the article because so people travel long distance to watch home games and spend lots of money to watch them play at home. Since the entire area require two night stays, it because very expensive to drive from the lowcounrty to watch a football game. Some people who travel for away games do not have to spend a lot of money for home games. I do not like this idea.

Jan 10, 2006, 4:55 PM

I have a better idea...

How bout stop selling out to the huge corporations. Then we will have plenty of tickets to go around for every1.

I had the pleasure this year of getting to sit on the 50 about 8 rows up from the field, to my surprise in the seat right next to me was a guy wearing a gamecock hat and shirt. I asked him, "Aren't you in the wrong place?" and he replied, "Nah my company gets a bunch of these tickets and gives them out to clients, employees etc.

My family has been part of IPTAY for over 40 yrs (and no we do not give min amt) our tickets are no where even close to as good as the ones they just give away to whatever client or guy they are trying to cut the next big deal with.

I am sure I will need a fireproof suit after the flames this is going to get, but think about this post in a few years when "Hooters" is painted on the 35 and you hear some BS like "This run down the hill brought to you by BI-LO"

I'm in mid Florida - - do home games count as away

Jan 10, 2006, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Road Warriors Deserve Priority Points ]

games for me, too. ?????

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG***

Jan 10, 2006, 6:53 PM

I disagree!

Jan 11, 2006, 11:18 AM

I go to several away games each year and have been to the last twelve bowl games. I hardly ever buy the tickets through Clemson because of poor seating at the away games and bowl games. I don't enjoy watching the games from the upper deck corners or the end zone.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic