Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scott Rhymer: Bowl System Is Good For Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Dec 16, 2005, 10:24 AM

It is during this time of year that talking heads in the media and fans on message boards across the county debate the logic and appropriateness of the college bowl system. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This basically points out how out of whack fan assessments

Dec 16, 2005, 10:34 AM

of the program is. Clemson is nowhere near an elite program with only 2 times in the past 16 years where Clemson would have made the playoffs (under his reasoning - a legitimate one).

What if Furman was like this? Ga Southern?

Wow, this just points out the glaring reality of Clemson's program. I don't know if I really needed that dose of reality.

i know we have not won the acc in awhile but clemson

Dec 16, 2005, 10:41 AM

owns the most acc titles with florida state second if i am correct. Seems like a pretty good football program to me.

I didn't say it wasn't good.........

Dec 16, 2005, 10:45 AM

just saying that it points out how the bowl system seems to hide the truth as to HOW good a program is. In retrospect, 2 playoff births in 16 years (in the fantasy retrospective championships) is not anywhere near what a top program would be.

Just my thoughts. No harm.

I doubt you can find many people who think we've been

Dec 16, 2005, 10:47 AM

an elite program over the past 15 years. Most of think we have wayyy underachieved. If you're old enough to have been around the 80's, you know how far we have fallen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we have underachieved and to some tiger fans 7-4 is a good

Dec 16, 2005, 10:50 AM

season. But in the late 70's and the 80's you come around talking 7-4 and 6-5 you would have gotten run out of town.

yep, thats for sure***

Dec 16, 2005, 10:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they won 2 games in 1976. If you look at the history .......

Dec 16, 2005, 11:21 AM [ in reply to we have underachieved and to some tiger fans 7-4 is a good ]

and not just 78 through 90, 7-4 is quite good especially with more difficult schedule. Not saying we don't want better or that 7-4 is "good enough". Also, no we're generally not as good as we were in that period, but it was a different ACC then. I think we are closer to that level than at any other time since then.

Re: I didn't say it wasn't good.........

Dec 17, 2005, 12:43 AM [ in reply to I didn't say it wasn't good......... ]

This was the single most ignorant article I've ever read.
Lets not go to a legitimate playoff system, because we're not a legitimate contender! How stupid! Every team outside of the elite 16 could have the same argument. With Scott's reasoning, we're just fostering an environment of mediocrity. SCOTT.... think before you write next time.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

It just means that Clemson is not a Top 16 program, which

Dec 16, 2005, 10:51 AM [ in reply to This basically points out how out of whack fan assessments ]

i think everyone with any sense would agree. But with our bowl history, winning percentage, etc we are a good program. I would put us in the Top 30 at least, somewhere around 25-30.

I've always liked the bowl system just for that fact, it provides a reward for decent football teams and fans.

Now i do think they ought to go to a Plus one game with the BCS, or let the 8 BCS teams play out a playoff, not sure how it would work financially. But also keep the other bowls too, the playoff system being used by 1AA is not in Clemson's best interest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From reading your posts, you give yourself plenty of gloom

Dec 16, 2005, 11:53 AM [ in reply to This basically points out how out of whack fan assessments ]

and doom without any help. I agree, this article was probably a bit much for someone who is already teetering.

The '93 Tigers were not a good football team...

Dec 16, 2005, 10:46 AM

Yes, they won nine games, but they were one of the five worst Clemson teams since 1977 if you ask me...

yep***

Dec 16, 2005, 10:48 AM

barf***

Dec 16, 2005, 11:18 AM

Photobucket

This article is a little narrow in scope. Nothing prevents

Dec 16, 2005, 12:05 PM

you from having bowls for team outside of the 16-team playoff. That should make everyone happy, right?

You could have 8 team playoff and bowls as well

Dec 16, 2005, 2:04 PM

If you would let every team play an 11 game schedule and each conference to have a championship game (teams with 12 in conf) or have teams with fewer than 12 challenge each others in conf game. Then you could start an 8 team playoff based on BCS standings 2 weeks after season ends and still have plenty of good teams for bowls. If you only had 8 team playoff teams like V Tech, LSU, Michigan and Fl State would still be in bowls.

Have an 8 team playoff and let those games be the big bowls.

Dec 16, 2005, 4:53 PM

You would have a total of 7 games with an 8 team playoff. Let those 7 games be the biggest of the bowls (Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, and pick the next best three (Cotton, Capital One, and Gator). Only problem is that the winners will go to more than one "bowl game" in a given season. I think it would be worth it. It would just make some of the lower bowls a little better games.

Lets SETTLE... we shouldn't worry about trying to win...

Dec 16, 2005, 12:19 PM

A National Championship, let's just be happy with a bowl.

crappy article

Take the winners of the BCS bowls,

Dec 16, 2005, 1:42 PM

seed them and play them off in 3 games over the next 2 weeks: Voila!

Real national champion.

Re: Scott Rhymer: Bowl System Is Good For Clemson

Dec 16, 2005, 2:54 PM

Why can't there be both bowls and a playoff system though?

While I don't care to terribly much for the BCS. I have come realize it won't go away overnight (or over the next decade the way things are going). So we will need a system to incorporate them in some way shape or form.

So let's stay with the eight BCS teams. Yes this will still have its flaws. We arrange a handful of bowl games to act as the playoff system. So instead of Penn St. playing Florida St. in a rather meaningless Orange Bowl. We reorganize the bowls.

For 2005. It could work like this.

Cotton Bowl
2. Texas
7. Georgia

Gator Bowl
3. Penn State
5. Notre Dame (since we wouldn't want 6. Ohio State here)

Orange Bowl - Since they hosted the previous championship
4. West Virginia
6. Ohio State

Holiday Bowl
1. USC
8. Florida State

Round 2 would be
Fiesta Bowl
Holiday Bowl Winner vs. Orange Bowl Winner

Sugar Bowl
Gator Bowl Winners vs. Cotton Bowl Winner

National Championship
Fiesta Bowl Winner vs. Sugar Bowl Winner

All the other bowl games would continue to exist as is except there would be a few less bowl eligle teams getting a bowl. Apologies to the 6-5 Conf USA Teams.

That's a very VERY good scheme***

Dec 16, 2005, 8:07 PM

I like the bowls...they are fun to watch, but as a Clemson

Dec 16, 2005, 3:02 PM

fan, I have no interest in the National Championship unless we are playing for it. I really don't care who wins USC and Texas, and most people I know will not lose any sleep over the outcome of the game. I am the same way with the NFL - I watch the Super Bowl because it is the Super Bowl, but unless the Steelers are in it, I don't care who wins. I think the only people that really get bent out of shape over who the national champion is are sports writers.

On a side note - why do we refer to everyone else's national championship as the MNC or mythical national championship. But, our national championship is never degraded that way on this board by tiger supporters. For the people that insist on using MNC, remember ours is just as mythical.

Who employs this moron? Good to know that if

Dec 16, 2005, 6:01 PM

my vocational field folds, I might have a chance to write articles for Tigernet. For starters, Rhymer's about the only person in America who argues for a hypothetical 16 team playoff..most argue for a final four or plus one game.

Wow..journalism has no future with crap like that.

Sad tomato.***

Dec 16, 2005, 8:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting observations that prove NOTHING!***

Dec 17, 2005, 5:27 PM

Hack***

Dec 17, 2005, 5:37 PM

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic