Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: How Big of a Drop Off?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: How Big of a Drop Off?

Feb 24, 2015, 9:57 AM

How Big of a Drop Off?

How Big of a Drop Off?
The NFL Combine was fun to watch the last four days. Its always nice watching Clemson players get recognition the way Vic Beasley
flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on Mickey..... you still have SCU "friends" or "buddies"??? lol

Feb 24, 2015, 10:18 AM

And we're supposed to be reading your stuff & trusting your judgement...? ;)

Good read, thanks!
Go Tigers!!!

I've heard this from too many coots as well

Feb 24, 2015, 10:25 AM

they can't seem to get it through their skulls that Clemson has talent AND depth. You don't become the No.1 D in the country without both. We just went from talented and deep to talented but not very deep. There is still plenty of talent and experience in the front line to enough young talent backing them up for us to be a top 25-20 D next year.

Re: I've heard this from too many coots as well

Feb 24, 2015, 4:48 PM

There are some good talent that we have seen, and some that we haven't seen that much of. Our D will be a very good D again this year. Not a #1, but not less than a top 25.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've heard this from too many coots as well

Feb 25, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to I've heard this from too many coots as well ]

Our secondary will be among the best we have ever had. We will have Blanks back with Alexander and Kearse, Green and Wiggins. With Tankersley, Baker and others chomping at the bit to get on the field. What the DL was for our D last year I expect the Secondary to be this year.. a true "no fly zone".

I agree, I believe a top 20-25 ranking on defense is very

Feb 24, 2015, 11:26 AM

obtainable with the talent returning

Travis Blanks

Feb 24, 2015, 11:41 AM

What about Travis Blanks? He was great his freshmen year, been injured, but if back from injury would provide some solid depth at DB/LB position too. Is he suppose to be 100% this year, any word?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was going to say the same thing...

Feb 24, 2015, 4:18 PM

I think some have forgotten about Blanks. Johnson and Kearse played very well and made the loss of Blanks much easier to bear. But, Blanks was about to ascend to stardom. I love the big play ability of all three of these guys. I'm hoping that we can have all three at 100%. With the coverage ability of the 3, ability to ###### the ball out of the air and the mean streak this could be a very nice trio. With guys on the corners that can be put on an island at least part of the time, Coach V is going to have some option in bringing safeties in to help in run support and getting after the QB from every angle.

When we inadvertently leave a guy like Travis Blanks off of the list....you must be spoiled with the talent on the field. Great problem to have.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto on Travis Blanks

Feb 24, 2015, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Travis Blanks ]

It seems a lot of people are overlooking him. Freshman All American

Blanks re-tore an ACL recently***

Feb 24, 2015, 9:43 PM

Re: Plyler's Blog: How Big of a Drop Off?

Feb 24, 2015, 5:18 PM

this is awful and uncalled-for!!!!!!!!! absolutely NO REASON to give that bunch so much press on what is SUPPOSED to be a Tigers article!!we have already had filpoot sucking up to them by doing one of their games and now this from Mickey!! I just did not expect this!!!!next we will have kornkoot writing for Tiger Net!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lost some linemen.

Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 PM

We're going to be better at lineback and other secondary positions. Our defense will finish ranked in the top 10. Plenty of 3 and outs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure we can equally replace Grady & Vic

Feb 24, 2015, 9:49 PM

Confident we can fill the rest of the holes with equal talent ... maybe better in defensive backfield

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure we can equally replace Grady & Vic

Feb 24, 2015, 10:02 PM

Of course we cannot replace them, but nobody is #1 every year. We will reload with guys who are very talented and will gain experience every play. We will be a top 20 defense and a top 5 offense next year

top 20 defense I agree with, top 5 offense?? With the bums

Feb 25, 2015, 11:39 AM

we have on the OLine? Not a chance. The returning players arent that good, and the incoming studs are so young. In 2016, I can see a top 5 offense. Also, we dont know how many injuries DWatson will have this season either.

Re: top 20 defense I agree with, top 5 offense?? With the bums

Feb 25, 2015, 1:34 PM

I see no 'bums' on this team.... I think our OL will be improved from last year... with a couple on Freshman in the 2 deep. When Watson is healthy we will have a top 20 Offense.
If Watson is healthy we will be favored in every game we play... until we lose one... :)

Re: Not sure we can equally replace Grady & Vic

Feb 24, 2015, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Not sure we can equally replace Grady & Vic ]

The amazing thing is that Jarret was just a 2 star by some recruiting services I think, 3 at most coming in and Beasley obviously wasn't even a defensive player initially. it makes strong case that the Coaches are doing solid job evaluating and developing talent, very encouraging.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Overall impact will be interesting

Feb 25, 2015, 5:02 PM

We lose two ELITE level athletes with Vic and Grady. They will be sorely missed. I think LB play is bigger than many as Anthony and Stewart are also elite athletes with explosive speed that I'm not sure I've seen from the others (at least not yet). BB is a tackling machine and will certainly be very solid but I'm not sure he's on Anthony's level athletically, which may only impact his play-making on a small % during each game but is it enough to make a difference? The question is just how much these four players were responsible for the 3-outs we had. I tend to believe a lot as we had someone on the outside and inside who could reek havoc, and two LB's that could stay with TE's and chase down RB's and QB's. I foresee teams getting more first downs (not so much scoring, just less 3-outs), which could flip field position more than we saw this year. Plus, without Pinion pinning offenses back deep the way he consistently did (he was amazing at kicking inside the 12-15 yard line), offenses may have better average starting field position than this year. How will this impact the defensive stats??

I think we will be above average to very good, with a small chance to be outstanding. I see us around 25-35 in total defense next year, which will be good enough in most games. If Watson stays healthy, the defense will clearly be good enough to do its part and win 10+ games.

BV is the man and if anyone can reload, it's him. Should be fun to watch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic