Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Mr. Conservative
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

New Story: Mr. Conservative

Nov 3, 2014, 10:18 AM

Mr. Conservative

The late Barry Goldwater was a politician known in many circles as “Mr. Conservative.” The way that Clemson’s defense and offense have each been playing as of late, offensive coordinator Chad Morris is making a run at Goldwater’s nickname.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe one day we'll finally have a great DL & OL at the same time***

Nov 3, 2014, 10:44 AM

Re: Maybe one day we'll finally have a great DL & OL at the same time***

Nov 3, 2014, 11:26 AM

I've been waiting on the OL part for about as many years as DF has been gone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EXACTLY!***

Nov 3, 2014, 2:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: EXACTLY!***

Nov 3, 2014, 9:47 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who can see that success begins and ends with the "Big Uglies" on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Fix that, and the rest will happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Morris has been here long enough to have fixed the O line &

Nov 3, 2014, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe one day we'll finally have a great DL & OL at the same time*** ]

have a solid backup QB. He shouldn't be excused from that failure!

Re: Morris has been here long enough to have fixed the O line &

Nov 3, 2014, 9:48 PM

I give no excuses. He has his shortcomings as well.

Nov 4, 2014, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Morris has been here long enough to have fixed the O line & ]

how did chad know swag was going to slap dabo. he did have a backup qb until that happened. I truly believe the coaches had planned to redshirt Watson. cole and swag would fight it out and the loser would have been the backup. Watson would have only been used only in an emergency situation.

Nov 5, 2014, 11:52 PM

Swag was a gamble due to his attitude. Morris should have been looking for a backup to him knowing this and that Cole was apparently not sufficient. The fact that he we'd himself to Swag like that, knowing it was a gamble, is all on Chad. He needs to own it and own his own, self made situation.

Nov 3, 2014, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Maybe one day we'll finally have a great DL & OL at the same time*** ]

Agreed! BUT, we lose our monsters up front on the D line!! :O The process begins anew in 2015! Patience in a impatient world! It will all work out! I guess today I'm a glass half full guy! I have faith in the staff! They will get it together!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2014, 4:58 PM

You sir, need to pump the brakes on those exclamation points.

Love to see turn around for rest of year! Cole and Watson

Nov 3, 2014, 10:44 AM

really playing lights out, so Chad can go back to being fearless gunslinger!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Mr. Conservative

Nov 3, 2014, 10:50 AM

Let me try to understand this. After the spring game and during fall camp, we heard nothing but how good the Offense was going to be. Granted, there has been a ton of injuries so far.to the whole offensive unit. But the ultra conservative play calling was happening before most of the injuries occurred. Chad has had to adapt to who he has left, but the same plays are being called repeatedly in same game and.the opposing defense knows the.plays and how to defend them. Another problem is Chad stated DW had no experience under center, and was using shotgun on first and goal on the 2. Fast forward to Cole, 1st and goal in shotgun on the 2, same result. Been off 12 days to get ready for Wake, and I hope he used this time to create something useful for.the offense.to run beside same old conservative plays.

Nov 3, 2014, 11:30 AM

I don't think it is the QB (although DW is so much better than CS, there really is no basis for comparison) as much as it is the OL gives no protection for either, and they can't open a decent hole for a running game either. We can't consistently make a 3rd or a 4th and 1" by running the ball.

Did we expect them to say "We are going to suck"?

Nov 3, 2014, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Mr. Conservative ]

Coaches always talk things up in the pre-season. Or at the bare minimal, keep things fairly neutral. I felt like they weren't overly glowing in their reviews of the offense beforehand. Chad and Dabo are both pretty upbeat, so you aren't going to find them dumping on their players like Spurcoot.

Agree

Nov 3, 2014, 3:15 PM

in fact I think there were some reports from the coaches in fall camp that the offense was really struggling.

Morris can only game himself at this point...

Nov 3, 2014, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Mr. Conservative ]

Did he recruit? Did he develop the recruits? Watson is but one player and one player does not a team make.

He has been here long enough to have both of these showing results, but his cupboard is bare.

Re: Morris can only game himself at this point...

Nov 3, 2014, 9:51 PM

Do you huff and then rant or rant and huff to try and make sense of what you said?

Nov 3, 2014, 11:34 PM

Just pointing out that Morris' job starts with recruiting and player development, long before play calling enters the equation. And everyone knows you will have injuries, so that excuse can only go so far.

So now, with that understamding and Morris being here 4+ years at this point, why is HE in this pickle in terms of QBs available in HIS system to choose from? Why has the O line been THE problem on offense with little to no improvement in 4 years in HIS system?

Compare and contrast to coach V and the D in a shorter window of time where coach V started with an even more bare cupboard in terms of talent.

Then think about this on top of all that. Are the players Morris has at Clemson today, after 4 years in HIS system, materially worse than the players he inherited at Tulane when HIS offense was so prolific?

Something defies logic here and Morris is the consistent variable.

For $1.3 million/year, the offense shouldnt have to rely on just DW in order to be as prolific as Tulane was back in the Morris tenure there at that time.

Nov 4, 2014, 10:12 AM

Tulane????

Nov 5, 2014, 11:56 PM

Tulane, Tulsa.... TULsomething... Same difference

Silver lining here....

Nov 3, 2014, 10:57 AM

I think we'll keep Morris another year. I know that some of you will landblast me for saying that. Oh well.

Re: Silver lining here....

Nov 3, 2014, 11:07 AM

I have faith in the Chad he has a bye week to redo done things which is tough during a regular week especially tough considering all the injuries so yes I am thinking and hoping this offense plays well against wake

We need more quick, short routes using WR's and TE's

Nov 3, 2014, 11:32 AM

Also we need to throw to our backs more often. Also we need quicker running plays.

We have become more predictable than we need to be, even considering the injuries. Delayed handoffs off tackle and WR screens are a HUGE portion of our play calling, and often EVERYBODY knows what's coming next.
I understand that personnel problems have limited us, but our play calling should be better. Any time a message board idiot like me can predict our exact playcall half of the time, then you know a halfway intelligent defensive coordinator is licking his chops.

We have played some bad teams over the last couple weeks guys. A depleted team could do better with a better job coaching.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It'll all go away when DW gets back***

Nov 3, 2014, 12:23 PM

I think that will help, but the problem is deeper.

Nov 3, 2014, 12:50 PM

Chad Morris has shown he can be an excellent playcaller, but I think he is being way too simple this year, even considering the personnel.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are correct, the problem is much deeper

Nov 3, 2014, 11:37 PM

Morris' job starts with recruiting and player development, long before play calling enters the equation. And everyone knows you will have injuries, so that excuse can only go so far.

So now, with that understamding and Morris being here 4+ years at this point, why is HE in this pickle in terms of QBs available in HIS system to choose from? Why has the O line been THE problem on offense with little to no improvement in 4 years in HIS system?

Compare and contrast to coach V and the D in a shorter window of time where coach V started with an even more bare cupboard in terms of talent.

Then think about this on top of all that. Are the players Morris has at Clemson today, after 4 years in HIS system, materially worse than the players he inherited at Tulane when HIS offense was so prolific?

For $1.3 million/year, the offense shouldnt have to rely on just DW in order to be as prolific as Tulane was back in the Morris tenure there at that time.

Such a re-hash

Nov 3, 2014, 11:38 AM

Way to go, getting everybody to circle the wagons and shoot each other again.

Wait a skinny mintue

Nov 3, 2014, 12:12 PM

How can the O look better 1 drive in each of the last 3 games when Coach M turns them loose
and the rest of the game they seem to be lost when they are made to play conservative
Don't think they were holding back when they played Tiger Football and took almost 8 minutes
off the game clock.
What has happened to the TE pass or the 5---15 yard passes
Zero---Hero passes look good but there are more Zero passes now

TE used extensively for shoring up the OL

Nov 3, 2014, 12:23 PM

And we lost one of our best receiving TEs.

here's an idea...

Nov 3, 2014, 1:13 PM

Since the deep ball isn't working, run a frigging slant route every once in a while. The bubble can't be all we run... I've been having flash backs!

Re: here's an idea...

Nov 3, 2014, 11:40 PM

Morris' job starts with recruiting and player development, long before play calling enters the equation. And everyone knows you will have injuries, so that excuse can only go so far.

Nov 3, 2014, 1:26 PM

Dugatiger made a great point. If you have a truly mobile dual threat QB on the field calling the.plays, the.holes will open up for the RB. With DW in backfield allit will take is him running the ball on a keeper a couple of times and the D will spread a little and the lanes will open up for the backs. Also will help being able to throw a pass down field past the line of scrimmage and the D will won't stack the line looking for the run every play. Make the D try to guess what's coming on next play.

Hopefully, he's setting up the coots for some ...

Nov 3, 2014, 4:03 PM

vertical "pitch and catch" ....

Doubt it, but its all I got.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Morris' career took a step back this year - he will be back

Nov 5, 2014, 10:54 PM

Thankfully, Venables has stepped it up this year. Funny how much better these coaches perform when loaded with NFL talent. The past three yrs Chad had it ... this year Venables has it.

Next year will be fascinating as talented O-Line newcomers come up to speed and Chad and Dabo determine how soon to start them and where.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic